Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] 42 | Time to Revive 42 Coin - Everyone get in here!!! - page 13. (Read 357116 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001
All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.
Nooo THANK YOU funkenstein. Smiley

Oh they, the insiders and shills, knew about it alright. lol As you can see, it only took Hendo/maco/soopy 3 hours to post the update/fix.

Does anybody care about this coin?  I guess not.  It might need a forking just for fun if devs don't speak up eh? 

If anybody cares, here is the only description I found of the so-called "fix"..  choosing option 2 in my post and therefore giving up the oportunity for a bit of fun and transition with a slowly reducing supply and longer time with coinbase reward. 

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4907160

First of all.. 

"990382 = LAST BLOCK in the history of 42 to ever be mined."   uh..  ok..  so no more transations ever?  All coins worthless then?  Nice idea. 
Well lets assume that he meant the last block with coinbase reward larger than fees. 

Second of all.. 

git clone https://github.com/fourtytwo42/42.git
cd 42
cd src
grep "990382" *.*

Nice hardcoding! 

Something tells me this has all been said before...     

Based on my basic understanding of hardforks... hardForkTW ! Cheesy

Jokes aside.. lets just say "fuck it !" and do a relaunch. (recommended) Grin

legendary
Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050
Khazad ai-menu!
Nooo THANK YOU funkenstein. Smiley

Oh they, the insiders and shills, knew about it alright. lol As you can see, it only took Hendo/maco/soopy 3 hours to post the update/fix.

Does anybody care about this coin?  I guess not.  It might need a forking just for fun if devs don't speak up eh? 

If anybody cares, here is the only description I found of the so-called "fix"..  choosing option 2 in my post and therefore giving up the oportunity for a bit of fun and transition with a slowly reducing supply and longer time with coinbase reward. 

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4907160

First of all.. 

"990382 = LAST BLOCK in the history of 42 to ever be mined."   uh..  ok..  so no more transations ever?  All coins worthless then?  Nice idea. 
Well lets assume that he meant the last block with coinbase reward larger than fees. 

Second of all.. 

git clone https://github.com/fourtytwo42/42.git
cd 42
cd src
grep "990382" *.*

Nice hardcoding! 

Something tells me this has all been said before...     

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
I also want it! If I ever gave at least one coin! Please!!! My address: 4NPnMaj4Y7eQnzHGL2HbXqQiRVCVp7Fbm3
legendary
legendary
Khazad ai-menu!

Hello 42 ers! 

By my back of the envelope calculations there are some 26 or so 42coins in the wild.  Is this pretty accurate?  The "coincap"  sites always seem to get it wrong.

Also, I am disappointed to see nothing in the code that puts a cap on the number of coins at 42.  The getBlockValue() in main.cpp never reduces, always staying at .000042 per block (apart from the superblocks which do basically nothing).  This means there is no cap on supply. 

This is much more important than the MAX_MONEY=42 variable set in main.h, which will only trigger an error when people start to try to move more than 42 coins at a time.  I know this because when I released Woodcoin, there was MAX_MONEY=10000 mistakenly set in the main.h file.  We had more than a million logs issued and the only problem was that people's clients would crash if they tried to move more than 10000 at once. 

I would recommend updating the code for a "soft landing" at 42 total coins.  in other words sometime in the future the reward is going to have to start to decrease.  In my opinion it ought to decrease in a geometric series that converges at 42.  If you want some help figuring a nice way to do that only using the number 42, let me know.  Its a nice exercise though so I wouldn't take that pleasure away from the devs here. 

Another way you could do it would be to add a line in getBlockValue like (if nHeight>988000) reward=0+nFees.  block 988000 is just my quick estimate of when the supply will reach 42 if nothing is changed.  Less than a year from now.  If you go this route, at that point the reward will suddenly disappear as 42 42coins are in the wild.     

If you do nothing, the coin supply will sail by 42 42coins and the price will continue tanking. 

Cheers --  funkenstein the dwarf 

Does your newb wisdom have anything to say about which one of the Cryptsy insiders is Hendo and/or maco ? Roll Eyes

I had a feeling they would try to sneak that one back in. lol

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/42-and-descendents-have-unlimited-coin-supply-hardcoded-fixed-444775
42 Has Fixed This Problem

Introduction

With a market capitalization ranking of 61[1], the coin "42"[2] is advertised as the "Highest Priced Crypto Coin Ever"[3]. This high price is attributed to the coin's rarity, which is advertised to be limited to 42 total coins. Unfortunately, it looks like 42 coin and descendents thereof (like 8 coin) do not cap the money supply at the advertised number of coin. In fact, unlike most cryptocoins, the money supply of 42 appears to be unlimited.

Money Generation

In bitcoin and most descendents the money supply is capped algorithmically in the function that calculates the mining subsidy. This function is called GetBlockValue() in the source file "main.cpp". In the bitcoin code base, the source for this function is:

Code:
int64_t GetBlockValue(int nHeight, int64_t nFees)
{
    int64_t nSubsidy = 50 * COIN;

// Subsidy is cut in half every 210,000 blocks which will occur approximately every 4 years.
    nSubsidy >>= (nHeight / Params().SubsidyHalvingInterval());

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

Here, the subsidy is halved for each "halving interval", measured in blocks (although the calculation is obfuscated somewhat for the sake of computational efficiency). It can be proven[4] that if all halving intervals are the same length (210,000), then the maximum amount of bitcoin ever produced will be

21,000,000 = 2 * 50 * 210,000

42 (and probably several descendants, such as Cool uses a GetBlockValue() function like the following, taken from the 42 code base:

Code:
int64 static GetBlockValue(int nHeight, int64 nFees)
{
    int64 nSubsidy = 0.000042 * COIN;
    if(nHeight < 419)
    {
       nSubsidy = 0.0000001 * COIN;
}
    if(nHeight == 1)
    {
       nSubsidy = 0.42 * COIN;
}
    if(nHeight == 420) // yay its 420 :) Time for a smoke
    {
       nSubsidy = 0.00042 * COIN;
}
    if(nHeight == 4242)
    {
}
    if(nHeight == 42424)
    {
}
    if(nHeight == 424242)
    {
}
    if(nHeight == 4242424)
    {
}
    return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

Except in a few cases (blocks 1-420, 4242, 42424, ...) all blocks will have the same reward of 0.000042 coin (ignoring fees). Notice that the 42 version of GetBlockValue() has no halving interval and makes no attempt to curtail coin generation at the advertised maximum of 42 coin. Without a geometrically decreasing reward value, the money supply will grow indefinitely.

For 42, the advertised coin maximum of 42 coin will be produced before block 1,000,000 (42 / 0.000042), or in about 1.33 years. But the existing 42 code makes no provision to stop coin production at that time.

MAX_MONEY

One part of the code for most cryptocoins that may be confusing to developers is the MAX_MONEY constant in the source file called "main.h". MAX_MONEY has two uses in the 42 code: (1) as a sentinel return value (which won't be discussed) and (2) to check some transaction values to ensure that they make sense. For the latter purpose, MAX_MONEY is used in the inline function called MoneyRange() in the "main.h" file:

Code:
inline bool MoneyRange(int64 nValue) { return (nValue >= 0 && nValue <= MAX_MONEY); }

This function simply checks to ensure that a value is not negative and does not exceed MAX_MONEY. Nowhere in the 42 codebase is MAX_MONEY checked against a sum of the balances of all accounts, which would require the computationally expensive task of either (1) calculating every account balance in the block chain and then adding them up, or (2) summing the coinbase (money generating) transactions over all blocks. The running total of money supply is not explicitly kept in the block chain.

The MoneyRange() function is used a few times in the 42 code. An arbitrary example is checking the the sanity of a transaction, as in the CTransaction::CheckTransaction() function within "main.cpp":

Code:
if (!MoneyRange(nValueOut))
            return DoS(100, error("CTransaction::CheckTransaction() : txout total out of range"));

Nowhere in the code for 42 does is MoneyRange() used to validate the total money supply of 42.

Notes:

[1] http://coinmarketcap.com/
[2] My screen name, tx42, is unrelated to 42 coin.
[3] http://www.42coin.org/
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1/2_%2B_1/4_%2B_1/8_%2B_1/16_%2B_%E2%8B%AF

Thanks for your reply.  I found it impossible to believe nobody had noticed this before, thanks for pointing me to a review.

The trouble:

https://github.com/fourtytwo42/42/blob/master/src/main.cpp
still has no fix. 

That response suggests that Hendo will create a hard fork at the last minute?  Is that a good plan? 

legendary

Hello 42 ers! 

By my back of the envelope calculations there are some 26 or so 42coins in the wild.  Is this pretty accurate?  The "coincap"  sites always seem to get it wrong.

Also, I am disappointed to see nothing in the code that puts a cap on the number of coins at 42.  The getBlockValue() in main.cpp never reduces, always staying at .000042 per block (apart from the superblocks which do basically nothing).  This means there is no cap on supply. 

This is much more important than the MAX_MONEY=42 variable set in main.h, which will only trigger an error when people start to try to move more than 42 coins at a time.  I know this because when I released Woodcoin, there was MAX_MONEY=10000 mistakenly set in the main.h file.  We had more than a million logs issued and the only problem was that people's clients would crash if they tried to move more than 10000 at once. 

I would recommend updating the code for a "soft landing" at 42 total coins.  in other words sometime in the future the reward is going to have to start to decrease.  In my opinion it ought to decrease in a geometric series that converges at 42.  If you want some help figuring a nice way to do that only using the number 42, let me know.  Its a nice exercise though so I wouldn't take that pleasure away from the devs here. 

Another way you could do it would be to add a line in getBlockValue like (if nHeight>988000) reward=0+nFees.  block 988000 is just my quick estimate of when the supply will reach 42 if nothing is changed.  Less than a year from now.  If you go this route, at that point the reward will suddenly disappear as 42 42coins are in the wild.     

If you do nothing, the coin supply will sail by 42 42coins and the price will continue tanking. 

Does your newb wisdom have anything to say about which one of the Cryptsy insiders is Hendo and/or maco ? Roll Eyes

I had a feeling they would try to sneak that one back in. lol

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/42-and-descendents-have-unlimited-coin-supply-hardcoded-fixed-444775
42 Has Fixed This Problem

Introduction

With a market capitalization ranking of 61[1], the coin "42"[2] is advertised as the "Highest Priced Crypto Coin Ever"[3]. This high price is attributed to the coin's rarity, which is advertised to be limited to 42 total coins. Unfortunately, it looks like 42 coin and descendents thereof (like 8 coin) do not cap the money supply at the advertised number of coin. In fact, unlike most cryptocoins, the money supply of 42 appears to be unlimited.

Money Generation

In bitcoin and most descendents the money supply is capped algorithmically in the function that calculates the mining subsidy. This function is called GetBlockValue() in the source file "main.cpp". In the bitcoin code base, the source for this function is:

Code:
int64_t GetBlockValue(int nHeight, int64_t nFees)
{
    int64_t nSubsidy = 50 * COIN;

// Subsidy is cut in half every 210,000 blocks which will occur approximately every 4 years.
    nSubsidy >>= (nHeight / Params().SubsidyHalvingInterval());

return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

Here, the subsidy is halved for each "halving interval", measured in blocks (although the calculation is obfuscated somewhat for the sake of computational efficiency). It can be proven[4] that if all halving intervals are the same length (210,000), then the maximum amount of bitcoin ever produced will be

21,000,000 = 2 * 50 * 210,000

42 (and probably several descendants, such as Cool uses a GetBlockValue() function like the following, taken from the 42 code base:

Code:
int64 static GetBlockValue(int nHeight, int64 nFees)
{
    int64 nSubsidy = 0.000042 * COIN;
    if(nHeight < 419)
    {
       nSubsidy = 0.0000001 * COIN;
}
    if(nHeight == 1)
    {
       nSubsidy = 0.42 * COIN;
}
    if(nHeight == 420) // yay its 420 :) Time for a smoke
    {
}
    if(nHeight == 4242)
    {
}
    if(nHeight == 42424)
    {
}
    if(nHeight == 424242)
    {
}
    if(nHeight == 4242424)
    {
}
    return nSubsidy + nFees;
}

Except in a few cases (blocks 1-420, 4242, 42424, ...) all blocks will have the same reward of 0.000042 coin (ignoring fees). Notice that the 42 version of GetBlockValue() has no halving interval and makes no attempt to curtail coin generation at the advertised maximum of 42 coin. Without a geometrically decreasing reward value, the money supply will grow indefinitely.

For 42, the advertised coin maximum of 42 coin will be produced before block 1,000,000 (42 / 0.000042), or in about 1.33 years. But the existing 42 code makes no provision to stop coin production at that time.

MAX_MONEY

One part of the code for most cryptocoins that may be confusing to developers is the MAX_MONEY constant in the source file called "main.h". MAX_MONEY has two uses in the 42 code: (1) as a sentinel return value (which won't be discussed) and (2) to check some transaction values to ensure that they make sense. For the latter purpose, MAX_MONEY is used in the inline function called MoneyRange() in the "main.h" file:

Code:
inline bool MoneyRange(int64 nValue) { return (nValue >= 0 && nValue <= MAX_MONEY); }

This function simply checks to ensure that a value is not negative and does not exceed MAX_MONEY. Nowhere in the 42 codebase is MAX_MONEY checked against a sum of the balances of all accounts, which would require the computationally expensive task of either (1) calculating every account balance in the block chain and then adding them up, or (2) summing the coinbase (money generating) transactions over all blocks. The running total of money supply is not explicitly kept in the block chain.

The MoneyRange() function is used a few times in the 42 code. An arbitrary example is checking the the sanity of a transaction, as in the CTransaction::CheckTransaction() function within "main.cpp":

Code:
if (!MoneyRange(nValueOut))
            return DoS(100, error("CTransaction::CheckTransaction() : txout total out of range"));

Nowhere in the code for 42 does is MoneyRange() used to validate the total money supply of 42.

Notes:

[1] http://coinmarketcap.com/
[2] My screen name, tx42, is unrelated to 42 coin.
[3] http://www.42coin.org/
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1/2_%2B_1/4_%2B_1/8_%2B_1/16_%2B_%E2%8B%AF

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010
Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

Hello 42 ers! 

funkenstein might be the smartest person in the room

Armis pls do assist
legendary
Khazad ai-menu!

Hello 42 ers! 

Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Rumors of my demise are premature.
Rumors of 42 demise are unfounded.

MEA CULPA:
I have not posted here in around 2 months.  In that time, I've found a related projects that matter to this one.  Mostly, I've discovered that clouds are coming of age with Docker and CoreOS.  This matters to me and to the 42 as it opens the door to inexpensive hosting of web assets (like nodes and websites) robustly.  By robustly, I mean reliably and with a low upkeep cost.

This last item has become more important since one of the great properties of the 42 has been decaying away: swift transactions aided by at least 8 reliable nodes.  I just punched my wallet and have spent a few minutes to find just 3.  When I have a battery of web hosts, I'll created Docker containers for more nodes.

I don't know that I have any avid followers of this thread at this time.  If you are one, you may recall that there was some discussion of underlying algorithm.  In particular, I proposed Proof of Stake, and was given incentive to go only partially Proof of Stake.  That future and others are still held open as options.

I AM IN NO HURRY.  I see no reason to hurry as there is much to think about.  I note that the 42 rate at Cryptsy seems to have been steady at 4 and a fraction for quite some time.  In time, I think that will rise.
Till then,

long live the 42.  It will outlive you and me.

P.S.   EMERGENCIES:  I scan this forum for reports of things that are emergencies.  I don't see any.  The most serious lately has been the report of orphans, but later posts seem to explain/resolve that one.
Activity: 55
Is there any working block explorer?
Activity: 8
Help .... wallet v6 eu I have a balance on it .... put the wallet v 7 - he does not see (not confirmed) my balance. also can not carry out the transaction v 6 on Cryptsy or anywhere, and does not make a transfer to Wallet v 7 ....
What do I do? prompt! ATP!
You have to start over! Sad Like I did!
Activity: 1
Help .... wallet v6 eu I have a balance on it .... put the wallet v 7 - he does not see (not confirmed) my balance. also can not carry out the transaction v 6 on Cryptsy or anywhere, and does not make a transfer to Wallet v 7 ....
What do I do? prompt! ATP!
Activity: 35
Anyone know why the available supply dropped off on 42 coin on the September 11th? I'm looking at http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/42-coin/ and wondering why it shows less than 1 42 coin....

Seriously - no one? Did 42 coin go belly up?

It's a dead coin. Was nice at one point, but that was long ago.
Hi

here is a new 42 Pool.

http://42.virtualcoin.ch

PPLNS Pay Per Last N Shares
1% Pool Fee
0.00000001 Transaction Fee
Variable Difficulty
Memcached Stratum

Payout auto and manual.

Feel free to test...

CU
I like it! Been using it, username is Jeremy10001000
Anyone know why the available supply dropped off on 42 coin on the September 11th? I'm looking at http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/42-coin/ and wondering why it shows less than 1 42 coin....

Seriously - no one? Did 42 coin go belly up?
Activity: 18
Hi

here is a new 42 Pool.

http://42.virtualcoin.ch

PPLNS Pay Per Last N Shares
1% Pool Fee
0.00000001 Transaction Fee
Variable Difficulty
Memcached Stratum

Payout auto and manual.

Feel free to test...

CU
Led
Activity: 28
I ONLY mine coins with low network hash that have low difficulties and are in troughs value wise

Thanks for revealing to us your secrets, but 42 coin value is still in a trough!

Network hashrate is dropping to something more sustainable. Now we just need whoever is updating the info in the first post on this thread to pay attention and update the info in a timely manner. hashfaster and poolwarz pools are both working for me.

http://www.wurst-wasser.net/wiki/images/3/31/So_long_and_thanks_for_all_the_fish.png
So I mined all night, on the new wallet, "42-qt 7.00". Using a .conf file that was made by your guy's' suggestions, and I mined a block of 42 Coin last night, I woke up and I had 0.00004200. So I sent 0.00004101 to pay for the nodes, and it showed up on Cryptsy! So it DOES work. I will leave Mediafire links to a .conf file and the new wallet in case. Also I generated a BRAND new wallet.dat by deleting the folder "42" in appdata. Also if you are so kind please donate to my 42 Coin wallet, just use the new one first before you send! 4MiUZZaM8pXLUJgXZEZTdS1LkqV6ounWmg

Proof: http://www.mediafire.com/view/0dinvm8qqvaw6zk/Untitled.png
Tx ID: 9f6d3f3402621f81148f6a9a68e6849e76319c00a2e065c7bf68d67e415dd78f
New Wallet: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7m652pme8x9pdxo/42-Win-QT_7.00.zip
New .Conf File: http://www.mediafire.com/download/hnahh4e86zdue1u/42.conf

Jeremy this looks good. have you compiled this yourself ?

Why did you decide to compile the wallet and help out?

I see the mining is still up and down. I've been watching CoinWarz.com for the past 3 months since
I enjoy mining for the most profitable. 42 has been the most profitable in the top 10 for a long time now.

http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency/coins/42

Seems like coinwarz had it listed as the #1 most profitable coin since this morning.
It's been very stable in the top 1-5 positions for a while expect no one talks about it here.
Yes I did, also I sent off an EMail to the new dev, I would like to help in something like beta testing. I'm 16 and no one will give me a chance! xD Also I feel like this coin is from the community!
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Sam Mother Fuckin' Walters
Thank you for these stats.

I found on wikipedia a better explanation of number 42, I guess we should stick with this:

42 (forty-two) is the natural number immediately following 41 and directly preceding 43.

I just did the math

1,000,000 blocks

current block is: 347,058

2,064 blocks per day : 753,350 block per year.

therefore my man - this coin will be mined out in less than 1 year

Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: