Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow! - page 4. (Read 470628 times)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
January 28, 2014, 01:53:17 AM
Cheers.

I actually found the post:

The Windows client cannot be downloaded. Please fix the link.
Thanks for the heads-up.  It looks like catcoin.pw is down.

I've mirrored the Windows wallet here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/catcoinwalletarchive/files/

Additionally, one can build a Windows wallet from source if they wish.  My 'alpha' instructions are here in MS Word DOC format:
catcoin_wallet_build_windows.doc

Source is here:
https://github.com/kR105/catcoin
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
January 28, 2014, 01:20:34 AM

You need to download a more recent wallet, you are running the version from before the first  fork. I believe someone posted a link to the current wallet a day or two ago on this thread.

Etblvu1

Thanks! I better get started sifting through posts Tongue
the link on the reddit will get you to a valid copy
http://www.reddit.com/r/catcoins
January 28, 2014, 01:18:24 AM

You need to download a more recent wallet, you are running the version from before the first  fork. I believe someone posted a link to the current wallet a day or two ago on this thread.

Etblvu1

Thanks! I better get started sifting through posts Tongue
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
January 28, 2014, 01:05:31 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but is anyone else having problems sending coins, and synching with the network?

Even after deleting the stuff in the AppData folder (not the wallet.dat  Roll Eyes ) it syncs pretty quickly right the way up to 3 weeks then hangs indefinitely. the bar lines up almost exactly with the M in "Verify Message" on the receive tab.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fork, or the fact that my wallet is outdated (v0.8.6.1?). The wallet downloads seem to be 404 right now, both the rar and the exe. Getting a little worried about my coins.

Etblvu1
January 28, 2014, 01:02:47 AM
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but is anyone else having problems sending coins, and synching with the network?

Even after deleting the stuff in the AppData folder (not the wallet.dat  Roll Eyes ) it syncs pretty quickly right the way up to 3 weeks then hangs indefinitely. the bar lines up almost exactly with the M in "Verify Message" on the receive tab.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the fork, or the fact that my wallet is outdated (v0.8.6.1?). The wallet downloads seem to be 404 right now, both the rar and the exe. Getting a little worried about my coins.
January 27, 2014, 11:26:58 PM
Is the fork going to reset the diff at all, or just implement the retarget changes and keep going from 108.5? It will take at least 10 more successively easier blocks to hit ~30 diff, where it should start to pick up interest again.
it will keep going from 108.5
Activity: 168
January 27, 2014, 11:07:39 PM
Anyone on the old block chain will be fighting very high difficulty with very low hashrate... and will be mining coins that will be rejected by every other node because they will be part of different chains. So, no, not going to be an issue.

Envy, the way we're scheduling this is so that the fork block will be the last block of a high diff retarget, so he's right the very next block would be inherently low diff. The factor that makes it irrelevant is that the new wallet must be used, which makes the old chain moot, as it fundamentally changes the coins code. Any coins mined under the old chain AFTER the fork block would be null and void, at least from an exchange perspective. We're looking at doing this so we don't have a low diff  history leading into the fork, rather it will take a couple blocks to start adjusting to whatever the new hash rate is, but likely without the multipools as we're starting high and working low.

No explanation necessary here...  Grin

"low diff" is relative though. The old wallets will keep working at a diff of 27.1, which still needs at least 100 MH/s network hash to mine at 6 blocks/hour. Anyone throwing around 100+ MH/s by themselves probably isn't going to sit and mine a forked coin, and any small miner going solo is still going to have a very hard time finding blocks. The current chain will die long before it gets through even one more "low diff" period, since everyone will be on the forked chain.

Is the fork going to reset the diff at all, or just implement the retarget changes and keep going from 108.5? It will take at least 10 more successively easier blocks to hit ~30 diff, where it should start to pick up interest again.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 09:36:43 PM
Anyone on the old block chain will be fighting very high difficulty with very low hashrate... and will be mining coins that will be rejected by every other node because they will be part of different chains. So, no, not going to be an issue.

Envy, the way we're scheduling this is so that the fork block will be the last block of a high diff retarget, so he's right the very next block would be inherently low diff. The factor that makes it irrelevant is that the new wallet must be used, which makes the old chain moot, as it fundamentally changes the coins code. Any coins mined under the old chain AFTER the fork block would be null and void, at least from an exchange perspective. We're looking at doing this so we don't have a low diff  history leading into the fork, rather it will take a couple blocks to start adjusting to whatever the new hash rate is, but likely without the multipools as we're starting high and working low.
January 27, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
Activity: 9
January 27, 2014, 09:16:46 PM
Not that I would be excited to see a few hundred more CATs get snatched and dumped into exchanges, and I honestly don't understand enough about the software to know the answer to this (which is why I'm asking), but is it wise to to set the fork so close to the difficulty change? I wondered if it would be better to do the fork in the middle of one of these excessive lulls rather than just before or during the super fast block solves that'll happen once the difficulty drops.

Tim

After the fork, the difficulty will drop after every block, at most at 12% per block (instead of the current 400%drop), based on the previous 36 block times, meaning there will be no instant drop into the 20 or teen difficulties. Once the fork is live, there will not be any more super fast block times unless a LOT of hash hits the network... and even then only for a few minutes.

I may not understand the concept of the fork correctly, but is it that there is a way for some people to maintain a blockchain that is still headed for the difficulty drop? If so, there would be a lot of incentive for the people doing this strip mining annoyingness to try and do just that because they can get a bunch of coins on that blockchain. I'm seriously not trying to generate concern, I'm assuming there's a clear answer and I figure the community would actually benefit from having it explained.

Tim

I think I actually understand where you're going with this. Basically, you're concerned that some douche bag could maintain the old code and reap a shit ton of coins. It's a valid concern, but fortunately as long as all the exchanges update and the pools update those coins would be completely worthless. But I am glad you raised the issue. Thanks!

That's exactly what my concern was, and I thought that might be the reason why it wasn't an issue but I wasn't sure. I appreciate the explanation!
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 08:53:01 PM
Not that I would be excited to see a few hundred more CATs get snatched and dumped into exchanges, and I honestly don't understand enough about the software to know the answer to this (which is why I'm asking), but is it wise to to set the fork so close to the difficulty change? I wondered if it would be better to do the fork in the middle of one of these excessive lulls rather than just before or during the super fast block solves that'll happen once the difficulty drops.

Tim

After the fork, the difficulty will drop after every block, at most at 12% per block (instead of the current 400%drop), based on the previous 36 block times, meaning there will be no instant drop into the 20 or teen difficulties. Once the fork is live, there will not be any more super fast block times unless a LOT of hash hits the network... and even then only for a few minutes.

I may not understand the concept of the fork correctly, but is it that there is a way for some people to maintain a blockchain that is still headed for the difficulty drop? If so, there would be a lot of incentive for the people doing this strip mining annoyingness to try and do just that because they can get a bunch of coins on that blockchain. I'm seriously not trying to generate concern, I'm assuming there's a clear answer and I figure the community would actually benefit from having it explained.

Tim

I think I actually understand where you're going with this. Basically, you're concerned that some douche bag could maintain the old code and reap a shit ton of coins. It's a valid concern, but fortunately as long as all the exchanges update and the pools update those coins would be completely worthless. But I am glad you raised the issue. Thanks!
January 27, 2014, 08:43:11 PM

Tim

Tim

the difficulty at the fork will be 108.56133403 adjusting at 12% per block according to hashrate...
January 27, 2014, 08:27:31 PM

Tim

Tim
January 27, 2014, 08:09:40 PM
Probably been asked before, but is there an eta for when the fork will occur?
Within the next ~17 blocks.

Make sure to alert the catcoin redditors

Don't worry i am on top of it.
I'm running  facebook, twitter and moderate on the reddit.
I'm staying in constant contact with the development team.
January 27, 2014, 08:06:08 PM
Catcoins on adultswim http://i.imgur.com/pjlP8g8.jpg
Activity: 965
Merit: 515
January 27, 2014, 07:57:54 PM

Great, I agree that it's not perfect. So what's your suggestion then?

Don't get me wrong pls.
It's good that you sat together and came up with a solution you as devs agreed in. You did the work to implement it and tested it and I appericate that. If you feel comfortable with this solution then it's fine.

My impression reading about your solution was that you took more wight into getting something simpler and faster done then invest more and come up with something more solid.

I haven't done the work to compare different solutions. I wasn't even aware what was going on behind the scene. All I read was always don't make a mind it will be fixed. And so I didn't make a mind.

I know about the disadvantages of a moveing average method.
Thats where my reaction comes from.

It's a bit a personal disapointment reaction and I wrote it in the past form because you already finished the work and are read to lunch it and that's ok
would be pointless to delay that now. Somewhen you have to make a decision and go that way and of course never everybody is happy with it.
I can live with that solution, really. I don't have many cat's anyway ..don't realyl know why I care so much about cat but somehow I do!?

If you want my opinion:
You speak about complexity. This i can not really understand. Like I say I didn't really dig into the thematic ..but isn't that just some sort of more or less clever smoothing function we are looking for here? That's just a math formula to me.

I wonder did you ask Kimoto about his gravity well implementation or did you have a whitepaper or something?
I see that several coins adapted that successful and are satisfied with it. So what speaks against it?.

If i had the time and patient for I could also offer you to try out one of my own smoothing functions that doesnt have the delay penalty like the averaging. I developed them for something completly different thigns but I think they would work here too.

Anyway...

You worked out a solution ..so let's go with it. No point in wasting the work and effort you put it.

January 27, 2014, 07:47:29 PM

Tim

January 27, 2014, 07:41:10 PM

Tim
Activity: 43
January 27, 2014, 07:30:26 PM
Probably been asked before, but is there an eta for when the fork will occur?
Within the next ~17 blocks.

Make sure to alert the catcoin redditors
legendary
Activity: 1019
Merit: 1003
Kobocoin - Mobile Money for Africa
January 27, 2014, 07:21:27 PM
The 1 block retarget, 36 block SMA, with a 12% up/down limit has been tested on the testnet and has reacted very smoothly and quickly to rapid increases in hash rate (we started with instantly adding 20 times more hash than base, then increased that last night.  This fairly closely simulates the current low hash rate and the injection of computer power by switching pools we've seen to date.  The difficulty and block times are responding very well.  Most importantly, this eliminates the massive difficulty swings that have brought coinhopping pools to us in the first place.
So the CAT has a tail now?
Pages:
Jump to: