Author

Topic: [ANN]: cpuminer-opt v3.8.8.1, open source optimized multi-algo CPU miner - page 183. (Read 444040 times)

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
sorry sir:

./algo/groestl/sse2/groestl.c:37:25: fatal error: sph_groestl.h: No such file or directory

[.....]

algo/qubit/qubit.c: In function ‘qubithash’:
algo/qubit/qubit.c:89:23: error: ‘ctx_echo’ undeclared (first use in this function)
         sph_echo512 (&ctx_echo, (const void*) hash, 64);

Are you sure you did "make clean" before compiling it?

Are you compiling for SSE2? That doesn't work.

uh... yes... sorry :-/
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114
sorry sir:

./algo/groestl/sse2/groestl.c:37:25: fatal error: sph_groestl.h: No such file or directory

[.....]

algo/qubit/qubit.c:89:23: error: ‘ctx_echo’ undeclared (first use in this function)

Are you compiling for SSE2? That doesn't work.
legendary
Black Belt Developer
sorry sir:

[.....]

legendary
Oh yeah, add #include "algo-gate-api.h" also.

algo/lyra2/lyra2.c: In function ‘register_lyra2’:
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:227:7: error: invalid type argument of ‘->’ (have ‘algo_gate_t {aka struct }’)
   gate->scahhash   = &LYRA2;
       ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:228:7: error: invalid type argument of ‘->’ (have ‘algo_gate_t {aka struct }’)
   gate->init_ctx   = &initState;
       ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:229:7: error: invalid type argument of ‘->’ (have ‘algo_gate_t {aka struct }’)
   gate->set_target = &lyra2_set_target;

This is deja vu. I've seen each of those errors before. The starting point had no algo-gate code
in lyra2.c No gate functions, no registration function and no includes changes. That os what I
intended to deliver.

My apologies for messing up so bad. I'll get a new build out soon.

Beta2:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lVSGQYLJIZbElvRWdJWFBKV2s/view?usp=sharing
legendary

algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:227:7: error: invalid type argument of ‘->’ (have ‘algo_gate_t {aka struct }’)
       ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:228:7: error: invalid type argument of ‘->’ (have ‘algo_gate_t {aka struct }’)
       ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:229:7: error: invalid type argument of ‘->’ (have ‘algo_gate_t {aka struct }’)

This is deja vu. I've seen each of those errors before. The starting point had no algo-gate code
in lyra2.c No gate functions, no registration function and no includes changes. That os what I
intended to deliver.

My apologies for messing up so bad. I'll get a new build out soon.
legendary
Black Belt Developer

^
       ^
legendary
latest dev beta has some issues on lyra2:

algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:217:46: warning: ‘struct work’ declared inside parameter list
                                              double factor )
                                              ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:217:46: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c: In function ‘lyra2_set_target’:
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:219:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘work_set_target’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  work_set_target( work, job_diff / (65536.0 * factor) );
  ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c: At top level:
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:223:1: error: unknown type name ‘bool’
 bool register_lyra2( algo_gate_t gate )
 ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:223:22: error: unknown type name ‘algo_gate_t’

HMMM, I thought I fixed that already, need to add #include to lyra2.c.
Those last minute changes are a killer. Good thing it's only beta.

Note that lyra2 in the code is not the same as -a lyra2 on the command line and
is not on the supported algo list. But a compile error, that's bad.

thanks, but not enough:

algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:218:46: warning: ‘struct work’ declared inside parameter list
                                              double factor )
                                              ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:218:46: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:220:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘work_set_target’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:224:22: error: unknown type name ‘algo_gate_t’

legendary
Black Belt Developer

algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:217:46: warning: ‘struct work’ declared inside parameter list
                                              double factor )
                                              ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:217:46: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:219:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘work_set_target’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  ^
 ^

thanks, but not enough:

algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:218:46: warning: ‘struct work’ declared inside parameter list
                                              double factor )
                                              ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:218:46: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:220:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘work_set_target’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  ^
algo/lyra2/lyra2.c:224:22: error: unknown type name ‘algo_gate_t’
legendary

double factor )
                                              ^
  ^
 ^

Edit: ultimately what I intended was to backout the last minute changes but chose
the wrong snapshot. You can comment out  the body of register_lyra2_algo.
legendary
Black Belt Developer

double factor )
                                              ^
  ^
 ^
legendary
Preliminary testing of quark using the algo_gate has increased performance 4%,
completely unexpected. I dodn't see any imnherent opportunities for increases
unless the smaller code base caches better.

Further testing is showing a 4 to 5% increase in all algos on my 4790k.
Will test non aesni (sw build) as well.

Current errata:

- gate fully implemneted for all minig activities (cpu-miner.c) with no violations of the gate.

- utility functions (util.c) not yet converted.

- algo aliases not working, must use lyra2re and lyra2rev2

- axiom algo not working

- hash rate output for share submission doesn't scale fo rvery low hash rates.

- all major algos have been tested, obscure algos have more custom gate functions and are therefore more
  likely to have issues and may not be fully tested.

- non aesni will be tested

- no windows version

- dev preview will be production code (ie no debug) but still has commenetd out sections
  of the old code in places for comparison and testing purposes.

- SSE2 versions not recommended in v3.1, use 3.0.7 instead

All issues to be addressed before final release of v3.1 but will not delay dev's preview.
legendary
Preliminary testing of quark using the algo_gate has increased performance 4%,
completely unexpected. I dodn't see any imnherent opportunities for increases
unless the smaller code base caches better.
legendary
Yet another algo_gate update.

I have slighly changed th eimplemetaion of algo_gate. Inseatd of every thread that
needs it defined its own and it was up to 7 seperate engines. No wthere is onlu one engine
defined in cpu-miner.c and only visible to it.

Well, that was an interesting, but failed, experiment, and a learning experience. It's back
to multiple gates.

I had defined a global static gate and initialized in in main before creating any threads,
but it kept segfaulting whenver trying to call a gate function, from a thread other than main.

Apparently the defined gate was not global. Each thread had its own private copy and only
one was initialized.

I thought it was simply a matter of initializing the gate in all threads but that didn't work either.
I thought this would work since the compiler bever complained about what I was doing.
I may not have done it properly. I may give that another try when the dust settles.

I eventually went back to each thread defining a local gate. Multiple copies of the same data
but wtf.

So we will have cpu threads +3 gates. The extra 3 are for main, stratum_thread and longpoll_thread.

It's a good thing the gate is lightweight.

Yet another concept with which I am familiar but with a completely foreign implementation.

I also added MH/s units for those high hashing algos. And I may be able to implemt a non aesni
version of cryptonight.
legendary
Yet another algo_gate update.

I have slighly changed th eimplemetaion of algo_gate. Inseatd of every thread that
needs it defined its own and it was up to 7 seperate engines. No wthere is onlu one engine
defined in cpu-miner.c and only visible to it.

I have noticed some algo specific code didn't do anything so I'll dleete the code and not define
a gate function.

I have decided to drop support for scrypt and scryptn. scrypt cpu miners can use pooler's
cpuminer.

Back to testing.
legendary
Another update on algo_gate. Testing is going well with x11, quark, neo, cryptonight working. I have
yet to revisit quark and the false positive rejects. It's not "service affecting" as they say. Still unclear
on the effect on performance, if any. I wasn't expecting any.

Had a weird bug in the hash rate display for cryptonight. I could get it to display .02 (kH) or 24000 (mH) but
only got zero when not multiplying. Then it hit me the multiplier was a float and the hashrate was int64
so the multiplication was forcing it to float. With no multiplier the hashrate was still integer. I guess
formatting an int as a float doesn't work very well.

On to test a few more algos, then noaesni. It's getting closer.
legendary
May I again suggest keeping a github repository, so we can all easily submit patches.

Nice reminder. I don't want struggle with yet another system to learn at this point. From my experience
with c++, autoconf, visual stdio, etc,  it means I will probably be held back by baggage from my profesional carrer
and will have to unlearn it first. I do intend to get on github after 3.1 is released, with or without algo_gate.
legendary
Hot tip to increase your profit.

When mining with two instances of cpuminer on different
algos I can get a combined hashrate above 100% of either algo mining alone. I mined cryptonight
and quark together with 7 threads each on an 8 thread i7 and each instance reported between 60%
and 70% of the rate when mining alone.

The quark instance reported 80% rejects locally but no rejects and full hashrate at the pool.

The benefit probably depends on the different nature of the two algos. Some combinations may work
better than others. I suspect quark vs cryptonight to be one of the better combinations.

Edit: the rejects are low diff, could this be a target issue. set_target is one of the new gate functions.

legendary
Black Belt Developer
Thanks for your work joblo. I'll be glad to test it as soon as you feel it's ready.
May I again suggest keeping a github repository, so we can all easily submit patches.
legendary
algo_gate update

I have a stable build with about half the algo_gate functions enabled. Importantly scanhash
is one of them.

Current status is x11 and quark tested with half the algo_gate functions enabled, No noticeable
change in performance.  Most definitions moved from cpu-miner.c to miner.h.
All algo specific function declarations removed from miner.h as they are no longer needed.

I will proceed to clean up the bloat in the algo files by merging the multiple targets into one
file with the AES_NI code protected by #ifdef.

Then I'll try to fix the broken algo_gate functions but may release a partially implemented version
if it takes too long.

Further update:

All of the original gate functions are are working but I needed to expand the system. each miner_thread
has a gate as expected but the stratum thread also needs one. I also need to create a second gate for
algo specific command line options. It was tricky to implement because the opt_gate could not be
registered until algo aliases were resolved and that was done 5 lines before the first use of the gate.
It also had to be declared static so the registration would survive the functions exit and re-entry.
That aslo required a global flag to prevent re-registration. But it all worked out.

I'm just chasing down the last few references to individual algos in cpu-miner.c. Soon it will be
completely agnostic. Then thourough testing then a dev preview.

Edit: I should add that I have observed a drop in performance since implementing the gate. However,
I have also noticed a drop in the previous release so there may be other variables. If there is
a net loss is performance I will not release cpuminer-opt with the new scanhash engine.

legendary
algo_gate update

I have a stable build with about half the algo_gate functions enabled. Importantly scanhash
is one of them.

Current status is x11 and quark tested with half the algo_gate functions enabled, No noticeable
change in performance.  Most definitions moved from cpu-miner.c to miner.h.
All algo specific function declarations removed from miner.h as they are no longer needed.

I will proceed to clean up the bloat in the algo files by merging the multiple targets into one
file with the AES_NI code protected by #ifdef.

Then I'll try to fix the broken algo_gate functions but may release a partially implemented version
if it takes too long.
Jump to: