Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN]: cpuminer-opt v3.8.8.1, open source optimized multi-algo CPU miner - page 55. (Read 444040 times)

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114
Gosh, I'm so lost with all this. I think I need a dummy's guide, I have no technical skills whatsoever.

Me too. a quick manual will surely help

A manual for what? cpuminer-opt works like any other fork of minerd, cpuminer or ccminer.
The only difference is you need to know your CPU archietcture and its capabilities. Use google for that.
Activity: 581
Merit: 250
Gosh, I'm so lost with all this. I think I need a dummy's guide, I have no technical skills whatsoever.

Me too. a quick manual will surely help
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
legendary

I'll put it on my todo list for next release but it may take a while since I'm in the middle of some other heavy
development.
legendary
Hi!

Older AMD CPU than Piledriver is not supported including Phenom II.
But what about Bulldozer?

I have a server with four Opteron 6276 on Linux.
Can I use this miner go mine Hodl (or ROI coin) with my Opterons?
Bulldozer and Piledriver is not very different architecture.

Edit: I am using Arch Linux

I don't know about specific CPUs, you need to try for yourself.
Hodl is a special case. If you're CPU doesn't have AES_NI you should try
the legacy version of cpuminer-opt. The non-AES code for hodl has been removed
from the master release.

legendary
Hello joblo, How to use install-sh file on linux to install cpuminer to system ? im using arch linux.Thanks in advance.

I've never used install-sh so I can't help you. You could probably google it for help if you really want to use it, but you
don't ned to install to run.
Activity: 388
Merit: 13
The Windows binaries are pretty bad on AMD, not so great on Intel either. You'll need Linux and compile your own to get the best
performance on any platform.

As far as scrypt algo goes, I haven't paid much attention to it due to the existance of scrypt ASICs. However the verium
version uses a different N factor that can't be mined with the scrypt ASIC.

The implementation in cpuminer-opt was taken from Pooler and I haven't (intentionally) changed it. You could try his version
to see if it gives better performance. I think cpuminer-multi also uses the same version. Their Windows binaries might be better.

Thanks. I could do that, install Linux in a secondary partition.

Any recommended distro and compile instructions?

PS: And for older CPU's like my 6-core Xeon E5645, will I see a difference in hashrate using Linux?

Compile instructions are in RELEASE_NOTES. Ubuntu is favoured by many.
I can't really coment on performance as I said I haven't paid much attention to this
algo. But a native compile with a newer compiler can't hurt.

Please post your results as I am curious also.

I just did. It's consistently 14% faster in Linux (Xeon E5645), with compiled binary. That was with Mint 18.2. But I'm going to install Ubuntu 16.4.3 because I need blockchain drivers to mine ethereum, and I couldn't figure out how to install amdgpu pro drivers on Mint 18.2.
Activity: 276
Hi!

Older AMD CPU than Piledriver is not supported including Phenom II.
But what about Bulldozer?

I have a server with four Opteron 6276 on Linux.
Can I use this miner go mine Hodl (or ROI coin) with my Opterons?
Bulldozer and Piledriver is not very different architecture.

Edit: I am using Arch Linux
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Hello joblo, How to use install-sh file on linux to install cpuminer to system ? im using arch linux.Thanks in advance.
legendary
The Windows binaries are pretty bad on AMD, not so great on Intel either. You'll need Linux and compile your own to get the best

As far as scrypt algo goes, I haven't paid much attention to it due to the existance of scrypt ASICs. However the verium

The implementation in cpuminer-opt was taken from Pooler and I haven't (intentionally) changed it. You could try his version
to see if it gives better performance. I think cpuminer-multi also uses the same version. Their Windows binaries might be better.

PS: And for older CPU's like my 6-core Xeon E5645, will I see a difference in hashrate using Linux?

Compile instructions are in RELEASE_NOTES. Ubuntu is favoured by many.
I can't really coment on performance as I said I haven't paid much attention to this
algo. But a native compile with a newer compiler can't hurt.

Please post your results as I am curious also.
legendary
Hi, there's no link to legacy binaries now (link points to regular binaries). Is it useless now? I mean non-AES-NI cpus...

Aha!, Now I know how I screwed up the 3.7.2 links upon its release. Fixed the legacy links now.

Your post was timely, I'm rethinking the usefullnes of the legacy release.

Technically it only affects algo that use the Groestl function on CPUs that don't have AES_NI. These include
algos like X11 which are either dominated by ASICs or GPUs. Spefically the legacy version continues to use
the Groestl macro implementation which may be slightly faster than the SPH version in the current release.

I have been considering dropping the legacy release because:
   - lack of AES_NI is the real killer for Groestl
   - the macro version probably isn't really much faster than SPH
   - it only affects algos where CPU mining is obsolete
   - anyone who actually uses it already has it
   - it's getting dusty (no new algos) and I have no  intentions of ever updating it
   - some users are probably using it who shouldn't

I'm using precompiled windows binaries with a Ryzen 7 1700, trying to mine Verium.

My bat file starts with cpuminer-aes-avx2 -a scrypt:1048576 -o stratum+tcp://eu2.poolinat0r.com:7103

However, it only uses SSE 2 as far as I can see.

What am I doing wrong?

Where can I download precompiled binaries optimized for ryzen?

Thanks.

because the algo supports only sse2

Oh, I see. Is this the correct algo, then?

I'm asking because my old Xeon E5645 with v3.4.6. gives me almost double H/s per core than my Ryzen 1700, so I guess something is wrong.

Yes, thats the correct algo from what i remember.
And the speed might depend on instruction implementation in the processor, hyperthreading, core speed and cache size.
I don't know how much the specific algo benefit from each of those, but it might be logical

On some algos i get higher hash rate on core [email protected] probably due to HT and larger cache, while some are faster on core [email protected] due to higher clock

Activity: 187
Merit: 100
Cryptocurrency enthusiast
Hi, there's no link to legacy binaries now (link points to regular binaries). Is it useless now? I mean non-AES-NI cpus...
legendary
I'm using precompiled windows binaries with a Ryzen 7 1700, trying to mine Verium.

My bat file starts with cpuminer-aes-avx2 -a scrypt:1048576 -o stratum+tcp://eu2.poolinat0r.com:7103

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

I'm asking because my old Xeon E5645 with v3.4.6. gives me almost double H/s per core than my Ryzen 1700, so I guess something is wrong.

And the speed might depend on instruction implementation in the processor, hyperthreading, core speed and cache size.
I don't know how much the specific algo benefit from each of those, but it might be logical

On some algos i get higher hash rate on core [email protected] probably due to HT and larger cache, while some are faster on core [email protected] due to higher clock

Activity: 473
Merit: 18

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Activity: 473
Merit: 18

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

legendary
Hey guys so Im trying to run the miner but with every cpuminer sse aes sse42 etc etc. It crashes after a few seconds says cpuminer is not responding and closes my .bat file like it froze does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Also I'm trying to mine using an old acer desktop with windows 10 and AMD cempron 145 processor 2.80 ghz if that info helps?

Thank you
Legacy version 3.5.9.1 May provide better performance on some algos with older CPUs that
don't have AES NI. Most users should not use it.
Your cpu doesn't support AES, so try the legacy version

Thanks for pitching in helping new users. Your close this time but not quite correct.

The legacy version doesn't help with incompatible CPUs, it just provides a little better performance on compatible non-AES CPUs.

The real problem is described in the errrata section in the OP but was not included in the README.txt included with the Windows
binary package. It will be added in the next release. Here it is:

AMD CPUs older than Piledriver, including Athlon x2 and Phenom II x4, are not
supported by cpuminer-opt due to an incompatible implementation of SSE2 on
these CPUs. Some algos may crash the miner with an invalid instruction.
Users are recommended to use an unoptimized miner such as cpuminer-multi.

Also it's a Sempron which, like Intel's Celeron, has fewer features than the high end CPUs of the same vintage.

The bottom line is the CPU is not compatible with cpuminer-opt.
Pages:
Jump to: