Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] FedoraCoin (TiPS) - New Dev team: Fedoracoin Foundation - page 78. (Read 110943 times)

Activity: 201
Merit: 10
Hello everyone,

I would like to bring everyone's attention here. We have suffered two large fork recently, and now it's really time to bring the topic here and would like get everyone's opinion. So we can move forward, because this can happened again.

Here are the opinions that we can work on.

1. Keep current algorithm, increase security, adding more nodes and checkpoints.
2. Use POW+POS
3. Merged mining
4. Update algorithm, like Scrypt-N, X15, etc.

Worst case hard fork may needed.

Please contribute your opinions. Or if you have better opinions, bring it. So we can make a better FedoraCoin together.

I apologize if this post manifests my complete ignorance, but feeling still being a n00b in cryptocurrencies I have a few question regarding the proposed measures above and I hope to receive answers that allow me to improve my knowledge:

Re: 1.
Checkpoints are fine, but they always reference a point in the past before or at best when the wallet/src was released. Given the fork doesn't go back further than the checkpoint it is my understanding that a checkpoint helps nothing to prevent a fork from happening (except speeding up synching from scratch), is this assumption completely off? Though TIPS needs newer checkpoints for the getchainvalue function to work halfway performant, I don't believe it helps protecting from forks like the ones we saw.

I estimate the current TIPS network to something around 60-80 nodes. How many nodes more would you think would be needed and how do you think this can keep a fork like the one we experienced from happening?

Re: 2.
A POS/POW hybrid certainly serves as good protection against a 51% POW attack, however if you look at the richlist you will see that the top 2 wallets have >40% of the total supply. Assuming that never all supply will be staking and assuming those two wallets will stake, they can easily outgrow a majority of staking weight. I really have no clue if my suspicion here holds any ground, but I hope an experienced person with better skills can enlighten us.

Re: 3.
That seems to me like the best option to avoid a fork when enough pools join and merge mine TIPS. If I look at DOGE right now, it has ~900Gh - I guess that's much  harder to attack than the current ~40Gh that TIPS has (or much less when it forked). However I am pretty sure it would move price of TIPS downwards when there is no more hard cost associated with mining TIPS.

Re: 4.
Could you explain how changing the mining algo would protect TIPS from an attack/fork? What exactly are you trying to achieve with an algo swap? You realize that you sound here like the takeover dev that also appeared out of nowhere suddenly and wanted to change the algo? May I ask if you are in any way affiliated with the SHA256 takeover-dev ?

I agree though that the coin needs an update, my opinion from digging through code is that it will get problematic to use - to say the least - once # 1,664,000 is reached.

I will highly appreciate if you can take the time to address my naive questions and help me toward a better understanding of how cryptocurrencies work.

Merged mining ,much  harder to attack,But effect value ,Such as doge,Alone mining is required.Tips daily mining value is close to Doge now,If keep alone mining,Tips value will exceep doge in the future
legendary
Activity: 1612
Merit: 1608
精神分析的爸
Hello everyone,

I would like to bring everyone's attention here. We have suffered two large fork recently, and now it's really time to bring the topic here and would like get everyone's opinion. So we can move forward, because this can happened again.

1. Keep current algorithm, increase security, adding more nodes and checkpoints.
2. Use POW+POS
3. Merged mining

Please contribute your opinions. Or if you have better opinions, bring it. So we can make a better FedoraCoin together.

I apologize if this post manifests my complete ignorance, but feeling still being a n00b in cryptocurrencies I have a few question regarding the proposed measures above and I hope to receive answers that allow me to improve my knowledge:

Re: 1.
Checkpoints are fine, but they always reference a point in the past before or at best when the wallet/src was released. Given the fork doesn't go back further than the checkpoint it is my understanding that a checkpoint helps nothing to prevent a fork from happening (except speeding up synching from scratch), is this assumption completely off? Though TIPS needs newer checkpoints for the getchainvalue function to work halfway performant, I don't believe it helps protecting from forks like the ones we saw.

I estimate the current TIPS network to something around 60-80 nodes. How many nodes more would you think would be needed and how do you think this can keep a fork like the one we experienced from happening?

Re: 2.
A POS/POW hybrid certainly serves as good protection against a 51% POW attack, however if you look at the richlist you will see that the top 2 wallets have >40% of the total supply. Assuming that never all supply will be staking and assuming those two wallets will stake, they can easily outgrow a majority of staking weight. I really have no clue if my suspicion here holds any ground, but I hope an experienced person with better skills can enlighten us.

Re: 3.
That seems to me like the best option to avoid a fork when enough pools join and merge mine TIPS. If I look at DOGE right now, it has ~900Gh - I guess that's much  harder to attack than the current ~40Gh that TIPS has (or much less when it forked). However I am pretty sure it would move price of TIPS downwards when there is no more hard cost associated with mining TIPS.

Re: 4.
Could you explain how changing the mining algo would protect TIPS from an attack/fork? What exactly are you trying to achieve with an algo swap? You realize that you sound here like the takeover dev that also appeared out of nowhere suddenly and wanted to change the algo? May I ask if you are in any way affiliated with the SHA256 takeover-dev ?

I agree though that the coin needs an update, my opinion from digging through code is that it will get problematic to use - to say the least - once # 1,664,000 is reached.

I will highly appreciate if you can take the time to address my naive questions and help me toward a better understanding of how cryptocurrencies work.

legendary
Activity: 958
Merit: 1037
Is there a way, that I can know that my unconfirmed transaction return back to the sender?

This might be worth a try:
1. export your private key
2. backup your wallet.dat with pending TIPS
3. create new wallet.dat (rename old wallet.dat, for example to wallet.dat.old)
4. import your private key
(5.) also a full resync of your blockchain could help.
This was helping me to have back my pending/unconfirmed TIPS, inlcudeing a full resync of the blockchain.

Further development, please be a part of it and post your feelings

We are thinking about a change of PoW only. But of course we wan to discuss this with the community first.
With a change from PoW only to a PoW/PoS with PoS rewards and PoW like it is right now attacks/forks wont happen so easy again.
What do you think about a PoW/PoS conversion?

We will need some time to discuss this, please post your feelings about a change like that.
This change will not come out of no where, and if anyone is posting a "new wallet" DON'T download it, we will post it here and link it to the website at www.fedoracoin.xyz

Select 1. Keep current algorithm, increase security, adding more nodes and checkpoints.

Expect,POS ,Merged mining.
Activity: 130
Merit: 11
Hello everyone,

2. Use POW+POS
3. Merged mining

I have been following the fork issue, and agree something must be done.  As for who did it, my money would be on the SHA256 takeover group.  They were unable to monopolize the coin because several exchanges other than BTER started trading real TiPS so they took another route.  I do not believe they have given up.

As for any of the above suggestions, I would be OK with any of them except changing the algorithm.
(Disclosure: I don't mine TiPS or any currency and haven't for a year or more)

BUT, I would tread cautiously.  Some wallet changes might play right into the hands of the SHA256 Group.

Activity: 851
Merit: 556
Is there a way, that I can know that my unconfirmed transaction return back to the sender?

This might be worth a try:
1. export your private key
2. backup your wallet.dat with pending TIPS
3. create new wallet.dat (rename old wallet.dat, for example to wallet.dat.old)
4. import your private key
(5.) also a full resync of your blockchain could help.
This was helping me to have back my pending/unconfirmed TIPS, inlcudeing a full resync of the blockchain.

Further development, please be a part of it and post your feelings

We are thinking about a change of PoW only. But of course we wan to discuss this with the community first.
With a change from PoW only to a PoW/PoS with PoS rewards and PoW like it is right now attacks/forks wont happen so easy again.
What do you think about a PoW/PoS conversion?

We will need some time to discuss this, please post your feelings about a change like that.
This change will not come out of no where, and if anyone is posting a "new wallet" DON'T download it, we will post it here and link it to the website at www.fedoracoin.xyz
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Hello everyone,

2. Use POW+POS
3. Merged mining

arz
Activity: 261
Merit: 250
Good to see fedora community active. I have few mil coins from last 2 years in my wallet Wink
legendary
精神分析的爸

The sender can try to start the wallet with -rescan option to check the blockchain for missing transactions.
If you were expecting coins, you can do the same to be sure and also check the blockexplorer for the txid.

In any case and whatever you do, make sure you have a working backup of your wallet.dat before you start!

HTH

No, the problem is, the sender sent me coins and after he recover his wallet those coin goes back, so I never receive them. But he denied. I am sure this went back. So I want to know is there a way I can prove that the coin goes back to his wallet?

You can reindex your local blockchain with -txindex. If you are you are sure you are on the right chain and fully synched and the transaction in question is not there (fedoracoind gettransaction ) it can IMO be safely assumed that the transaction did not happen and the coins are still in possession of the sender.
The above is just the method to check for the transaction locally without trusting a block explorer, naturally you can check that on a blockexplorer too.

Mind you, there is one exception: If the coins that were sent were mined also on/during the fork, they would dissappear the same as the transaction and indeed not reappear in the senders wallet - because they would have dissapeared anyway when the longer chain took over.

But it all boils down to the senders willingness to resend the coins... Wish you good luck with that.
Activity: 29

The sender can try to start the wallet with -rescan option to check the blockchain for missing transactions.
If you were expecting coins, you can do the same to be sure and also check the blockexplorer for the txid.

In any case and whatever you do, make sure you have a working backup of your wallet.dat before you start!

HTH

No, the problem is, the sender sent me coins and after he recover his wallet those coin goes back, so I never receive them. But he denied. I am sure this went back. So I want to know is there a way I can prove that the coin goes back to his wallet?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1006
hello
Is it safe to start allow tips transfers again?
-halibit-

... Or can forks happen again?
Forks can happen again,If you want safe,Long deposite confirm time ,30-40 days,Fork 30 days blocks,Need over 600G hash,I do not think anyone would fork,The cost is very high
Thank you for the reply.
TIPS wallet is back online and deposit time is 7 days.

halibit
alcurEX
I do not think 7 days is enough ,last fork,about 6 days
I see.
On that case I will increase deposit time to 28 days.

Have you think about add POS feature for TIPS?
It should solve forking issues.

-halibit-
Activity: 171
Merit: 100
where can i mine this coin?
hello
-halibit-

Forks can happen again,If you want safe,Long deposite confirm time ,30-40 days,Fork 30 days blocks,Need over 600G hash,I do not think anyone would fork,The cost is very high
Thank you for the reply.

halibit
alcurEX
I do not think 7 days is enough ,last fork,about 6 days
legendary
hello
-halibit-

Thank you for the reply.

halibit
alcurEX
hello
-halibit-

legendary
hello
-halibit-

legendary
精神分析的爸

HTH

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Tips - a very old coin. Respect that poured into her new life
where I can download a compiled linux wallet?
Pages:
Jump to: