Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] 'foo' and 'bar' coins--a "how-to" guide for cut+paste cryptocurrency - page 2. (Read 26811 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Just to be clear, "owenprescott/src% " isn't part of the command.

If you already knew that, then you need to make sure you have 'make' installed, i'm pretty sure it's part of 'build-essentials' on most distributions.

Oh that makes sense, I already installed the build essentials back when I installed Linux (Ubuntu) and it seems to be installed after performing a "checkinstall". I just tried this code:
Code:
make -f makefile.osx USE_UPNP=-
(all on one CMD line)

It returns, "*** No rule to make target 'markefile.unix'. Stop.". Oh well, I will figure it out eventually.  Cheesy
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Captain Jack Fenderson
Just to be clear, "owenprescott/src% " isn't part of the command.

If you already knew that, then you need to make sure you have 'make' installed, i'm pretty sure it's part of 'build-essentials' on most distributions.
I am new to Linux and I am having issues with the intial stage of the "first build".

First Build
Now that you have a fresh copy with all of your cut and pasting uploaded to Github, we're ready to build a copy of our command line only version of the coin:

Code:
barcoin% cd src/
 barcoin/src% make -f makefile.osx USE_UPNP=- (or makefile.unix if you're on Linux/BSD/etc)

My test coin is called owenprescott, so I am typing in this to the terminal...
Code:
owenprescott% cd src/
 owenprescott/src% make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP=-

The terminal returns a "command not found" or "no such file or directory". The root folder is located on my desktop, what am I doing wrong? Obviously I have renamed everything etc, it seems I am not properly targeting the root.  Embarrassed
Captain Jack Fenderson
Further information regarding foocoin (et al.) will be posted here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-razorlove-cryptocurrency-services-dbl-cent-foobar-updates-359000

If you wish to discuss things do so there, I will not be actively monitoring this thread.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1005
Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer
How long roughly should this take to build from start to finish?

On your first time give yourself a day off and have plenty of breaks and always get the testnet up and running, a lot of developers do not do that.

After a few coins, you should be able to make one and release it within 60 minutes.

Wow thanks, I might have to  give this a go. I have already messed around with some of the previous guides over the last few months but this one looks comprehensive. I want to create a game that uses Cryptocurrency so this might be a good opportunity to create a coin specific to the project.

Are you going to compile it under Windows? It is easier than you think once you have the right deps with it.

What I do, is brainstorm the kind of coin I want, it short term and then long term goals and also how you would like others to perceive it. And always keep on top of even the smallest problems and fix it as fast as you can, miners with have loads more faith in a coin if they know it has an active dev team.

As soon as you know the name of the coin, register yourcoin.org and @yourcoin on Twitter and then off you go.

On your first time give yourself a day off and have plenty of breaks and always get the testnet up and running, a lot of developers do not do that.

After a few coins, you should be able to make one and release it within 60 minutes.

Wow thanks, I might have to  give this a go. I have already messed around with some of the previous guides over the last few months but this one looks comprehensive. I want to create a game that uses Cryptocurrency so this might be a good opportunity to create a coin specific to the project.
Merit: 1005
Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer

legendary
Merit: 1129
Interesting guide.  Thanks to Shakezula. 

Not worth making new coin, unless do something new.  Cut and paste for starting point, but must write code to make new coin worthwhile.  Could try solve problems. 

Biggest problem cryptocurrencies scalability.  When billions use coin, block chain bigger faster than network can carry.  When billions of tx have every machine repeat each tx to check for agree need faster machines than exists.  You have idea to fix scalability, is worth doing altcoin.

Another big problem, cryptocoin anonymity isn't.  Blockchain records every tx.  Information mining, easy trace users through blockchain even with no names associated accounts.  Like able see all money moving around everywhere, becomes obvious who carrying.  Zerocoin has very clever way to solve, but makes scalability problem even worse, 40 kilobyte transaction premium.   Make coin with better anonymity, at least interesting.  Maybe never allowed to succeed, maybe illegal in future.  Interesting, anyway.  Learning how is worth doing.

Third problem, mining.  Convert electricity into coins, wasteful.  Waste keeps money cost up, means no point mining for most people, concentrates mining/chain verification in smaller number of people -- eventually probably one, and currency die.  Also money cost is transaction cost, and cryptocurrency strength in larger economy is minimize transaction cost.  Minimize transaction cost, easy transactions, is main reason for being better than official currency.  Minimize mining cost minimizes tx cost.  Custom ASICs, expensive GPUs, etc. were mistakes.  Bad direction for development.  Figure out way to not need, way to keep chain verification in many hands, be fair everyone, is worth doing. 

Fourth problem, maybe, what happen when mining reward ends?  People mine for money, what happen next time reward is halved?  Time after that?  Time after that?  Never tested.  Don't know.  Will any coin survive end of rewarding miners?  Will few remaining "transaction processers" be enough to keep secure, or will become vulnerable to attack, 51% takeover?  Remember powerful people want cryptocurrency stop.  Make $Billions off transaction fees now, cryptocurrency system would eats business.  What cost doing 51% attack on coin not reward miners by credit card toll troll?  Less than cost not doing it.  Figure out how mining.  Solve this problem and one before, definitely make new coin. 

Fifth problem, speed transaction clearing.  Find way to make instant transfers, not wait for blocks to close and block chain to deepen.  Many kinds of business cannot do otherwise.  Consider vending machine.  Scan QR code, transfer .0005 btc or whatever, then ... wait a half hour?? NO.  Just not work most people.  Fix it, worth doing.  Many altcoins attempt fix by making short block time, but short block time limits number tx per minute or network overwhelmed and chains diverge.  Destroy coin first or second time are too many tx per minute.  Short block times make first problem far worse.  Must find different way to speed tx clearing.  If figure out, very worth making altcoin.

Could also try add new capability.  Many possibilities.  Think of one or two or three, make altcoin with new ideas.

Big one right now, Prism proof email.  You have widely distributed database of public keys (accounts).  If leverage for real private mail from account to account, worth doing an altcoin. 

Another, what calls 'Colored Coins.' Make something take full advantage, keep track colors, definitely worth doing.  Could take advantage script transactions for contingent contracts in different kind assets; could do futures, etc. 

Cut and paste coin, nothing new, is foundation material.  But nobody want move into foundation.  Must build house on top.

Edward.

Activity: 37
Merit: 0
Awesome guide, shakezula! But, I'm having a bit of a problem here, under the "first build" section. Github shell doesn't recognize the command "make". I think this problem occurs because of the deps. Your link to the deps doesn't work. Is there another way to get these deps?

Thanks in advance!

I rolled all my projects in to a single Github, though the foocoin github *should forward you. Here's a direct link:

https://github.com/geocoin/deps
Thanks! I hope I'll be able to compile them now.

Edit: Nope, still errors. Recipe for target obj/checkpoints.o failed. Error 1. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Activity: 308
Awesome guide, shakezula! But, I'm having a bit of a problem here, under the "first build" section. Github shell doesn't recognize the command "make". I think this problem occurs because of the deps. Your link to the deps doesn't work. Is there another way to get these deps?

Thanks in advance!

I rolled all my projects in to a single Github, though the foocoin github *should forward you. Here's a direct link:

https://github.com/geocoin/deps
Activity: 37

Thanks in advance!
Captain Jack Fenderson
Is this the source of all these new altcoins? Tongue

Quite a few of them yes, definitely xencoin and 6coin were built off this. 6coin even still had foocoins copyright info in the QT.

Some other coins were built and sold by hazard.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
x1 7970 | Aprox. 587 kh/s
Is this the source of all these new altcoins? Tongue
Activity: 28
Activity: 156
Thanks for this. I was able to get it working, but I couldn't have done it without you.  Smiley
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
I'm trying to make a version of YaCoin, does anyone here know how I might be able to mine the genesis block?
It isn't quite as because it is different from the scrypt coins in the guide
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
and adding a new algo?

Its a tad out of the purview of a cut+paste tutorial and something I've only begun to figure out. Rest assured this has become my new obsession so if I figure it out reliably I will update the Devtome with the new info. The bottom most section is already to get a few new things soon--when I get the itch to do a bit more writing.

much appreciated
Activity: 308
and adding a new algo?

Its a tad out of the purview of a cut+paste tutorial and something I've only begun to figure out. Rest assured this has become my new obsession so if I figure it out reliably I will update the Devtome with the new info. The bottom most section is already to get a few new things soon--when I get the itch to do a bit more writing.
Pages:
Jump to: