Author

Topic: [ANN] KRAKEN.COM - Exchange with USD EUR GBP JPY CAD BTC LTC XRP NMC XDG STR ETH - page 342. (Read 628584 times)

Activity: 408
Merit: 250
USD Pairs are now available for trading:  XBT/USD, LTC/USD.

To clarify, this means USD deposits and withdrawals are also available.

I'm not sure that is a wise decision. It's going to be already very hard to get it going with 1 currency I think.

Bitstamp choose to focus on USD only because of this, despite being European. BTC24 already had his EUR being very successful before starting USD.

There is a lot of competition for USD so why would they go to you?

For EUR there is nothing due to BTC24 clampdown. However Bitcoin-Central just opened his doors past week so hence it's going to be hard. But at least you have a chance.

I could be totally wrong, just thinking out loud.

Are you freaking kidding me?? Have you even seen the huge functionality difference between these services? All non-Kraken services look like web pages from the 90's with speed, security elements that suck big time. Kraken is a California company based in Silicon-Valley, they know technology, can attract real talent and have way more features, beautifully designed webpage and tons of trading features unimagined by other players. It's a real, professional company.

As soon as they include California, I'm saying good bye to CampBX, MtGox and other suckers outside the US.

vip
Activity: 302
Merit: 253
Hello
Testing, 1, 2, 3...
 Sad

I made a Sepa transfer from my german Bank account to Fidoor last 26th september, and it still has not credited on my kraken account. In the FAQ it says that <1 day to process those deposits...

And the support is closed till monday... let's wait...

Undecided

Bad feelings

Hello!  If it's been that long, something is certainly wrong but I can't help you without at least your public account ID.  Could you please PM me with that?
Activity: 163
Merit: 100
Luk, soy tu padreeee
Hello
Testing, 1, 2, 3...
 Sad

I made a Sepa transfer from my german Bank account to Fidoor last 26th september, and it still has not credited on my kraken account. In the FAQ it says that <1 day to process those deposits...

And the support is closed till monday... let's wait...

Undecided

Bad feelings
Activity: 246
so if i understand correctly i can sell/buy  btc in usd and then withdraw in EUR ?

what kind of exchange rate applies?

No, in order to withdraw EUR you would need to convert your USD to BTC and then those BTC into EUR (or you could use any other intermediary, e.g. LTC). You can then withdraw the EUR.
Activity: 133
Merit: 26
so if i understand correctly i can sell/buy  btc in usd and then withdraw in EUR ?

what kind of exchange rate applies?
Activity: 378
Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass
I think there is a big undiscovered market for money managers in crypto currency market. Money managers' tools would prevent scams like Pirate40.

You are probably right there. Also Bit4X is already doing and offering that, since 2012.

I might be right about money managers. A low to mid quality money manager has USD 2 - 10 million worth of assets under management. None of whom I know decided to start trading bitcoin simply because of the lack of even basic tools.

I didn't know Bit4X until you posted its name. I am a newbie to Bitcoin  Cheesy
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
I think there is a big undiscovered market for money managers in crypto currency market. Money managers' tools would prevent scams like Pirate40.

You are probably right there. Also Bit4X is already doing and offering that, since 2012.
Would there be some money managers' tools available at Kraken in future? Something like this? http://www.dukascopy.com/swiss/english/forex/management/asset/

Good question. I'm pretty sure we haven't considered it yet, but we will now. My guess is it's probably something we'd want to do if we could, especially if we had a lot of interested people.  

1. I was a trader in a hedge fund for a few years.

2. After I retired I traded as a money manager for some friends. It was a must to be able to manage my clients' sub-accounts from one master account. I couldn't have been able to trade well without some simple tools (that every forex bucket shop provides to its clients now-a-days).

3. There is always a market for making money. Just look at Pirate40 who was able trick people into entrusting him their funds. I think there is a big undiscovered market for money managers in crypto currency market. Money managers' tools would prevent scams like Pirate40.

4. There are brokers in the fiat realm who generate more than 50% of their income through money managers.

5. Just to give you a food for thought (what a money manager is capable of in terms of trading quality), have a look at this post https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2973084 and then click the links. If by availing appropriate money managers' tools you can attract 10 money managers like this guy, you can expect lots of customers.

6. Having your data feed hooked up here: https://www.tradingview.com/e/?symbol=MTGOX:BTCUSD and here: http://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/mtgox/btcusd for the general public is also a must. These have good quality and are free.

7. You might also think about integrating your exchange with a good quality front-end.
Disabling javascript is a bit over the top. Despite the similar names, Java and Javascript are very different and unrelated. Javascript had some influence from Java, but otherwise there's not much need to disable JS, and it will limit what you can do (i.e., use Kraken). Java and Javascript do not share any security exploits, but if you're still concerned about JS, you might want to install NoScript or something similar, and then only enable it on certain sites you know you can trust, that way you can still use the websites that need it without enabling it globally.

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000
I do not have javascript as well - I removed anything Java-related from my computer when I engaged in bitcoin.

That's source of the problem you're having viewing the site - javascript required. And what nitrous said above about the security issue.  Smiley

Would there be some money managers' tools available at Kraken in future? Something like this? http://www.dukascopy.com/swiss/english/forex/management/asset/

Good question. I'm pretty sure we haven't considered it yet, but we will now. My guess is it's probably something we'd want to do if we could, especially if we had a lot of interested people.  
I don't see graphs and dynamic elements on their website. I do not have Java installed.

You don't need Java, but you do need Javascript.

https://www.kraken.com/help/faq#browser-settings

I do not have javascript as well - I removed anything Java-related from my computer when I engaged in bitcoin.

Disabling javascript is a bit over the top. Despite the similar names, Java and Javascript are very different and unrelated. Javascript had some influence from Java, but otherwise there's not much need to disable JS, and it will limit what you can do (i.e., use Kraken). Java and Javascript do not share any security exploits, but if you're still concerned about JS, you might want to install NoScript or something similar, and then only enable it on certain sites you know you can trust, that way you can still use the websites that need it without enabling it globally.
I don't see graphs and dynamic elements on their website. I do not have Java installed.

I am from a very shitty place. If legal fiction called UK qualifies then my place might as well Wink

"Shitty" places can be bitcoin friendly due to mellow regulations, which is good. "Good" places can be bitcoin unfriendly due to hyper regulations, which is shitty.  Tongue

I like the way you look at things.

Dargo,

legendary

I am from a very shitty place. If legal fiction called UK qualifies then my place might as well Wink

"Shitty" places can be bitcoin friendly due to mellow regulations, which is good. "Good" places can be bitcoin unfriendly due to hyper regulations, which is shitty.  Tongue

Hi Nitrous  Smiley

Hey Loozik Smiley

1. Their volumes are pretty low at the moment, but I'm quite excited for when they get more business! You can see their daily volumes on their website, unfortunately it seems to be 0 now. Last time I checked it was 0.5 though.

2. I'm already tier 3 verified (I'm from the UK). Where are you from? I think most of Europe is covered, but some places, e.g. Germany, still need some more paperwork behind the scenes.

3. IIRC, they recently switched because the prices were suffering rounding errors.

Thanks.

It seems to me a bit like a catch-22 - not much trading, but other people might be reluctant because of the low trade volumes. Kraken is considering becoming a market maker though soon, so hopefully that will rectify this problem.

I like their types of orders so I am thinking of becoming their client. I think others will also appreciate the availability of a stop loss or a trailing stop.
Activity: 905
Merit: 1001
legendary

I know that on other exchanges (e.g. Mt. Gox) I can have a wallet in any of the currencies they trade.  So if for some reason the XBT/EUR was trading higher than the XBT/USD (after factoring the EUR/USD rate), then it might be more profitable to sell bitcoins and get those EUR, then at a later time when the two markets equilibrate I then buy BTCs and move the funds over to USDs.  So I might hold and trade with EUR even though I might never deposit or withdraw EUR.     This adds liquidity to that market.

Does a Kraken account for someone in the U.S. allow wallets for both USD and EUR?

You can have a balance in any currency that's a reserve currency:

https://www.kraken.com/help/trading-guide#reserve-vs-non-reserve-currency

USD and EUR are reserve currencies. You can't exchange EUR and USD directly, but you can deposit or withdraw in either and you can cash out digital currencies for either. But of course you will incur exchange fees (with our bank or yours) if you have to exchange fiat for deposit or withdrawal.

Also, you will be able to margin trade currency (i.e. currency pairs) you don't have a balance in with currency you do have a balance in. So, for example, if you only have USD in your account, you will be able to trade the XBT/EUR pair on margin using your USD balance. And margin trading does result in real exchange volume on Kraken, though no currency exchange happens in your account (you simply open or close trading positions in the currency pair). If you go to Account > Trade > Overview, you'll notice that your trade balances adjust to whatever quote currency (the second of a currency pair) you have selected in the upper right of your screen. Margin trading hasn't launched yet, though, so it will be a little while before this kind of thing is possible.  

So there will be lots of opportunity for cross-currency arbitrage/spread trading. Ultimately this should add to liquidity, though short-term it may take volume a bit longer to get rolling with all the currency choice.
Kraken,

1. I don't see you here: http://www.bitcoincharts.com/markets/ what are your daily volumes?

2. Can someone living in Europe become your client?

3. Why BTC/LTC when everybody quotes LTC/BTC?

Hey Loozik Smiley

1. Their volumes are pretty low at the moment, but I'm quite excited for when they get more business! You can see their daily volumes on their website, unfortunately it seems to be 0 now. Last time I checked it was 0.5 though.

2. I'm already tier 3 verified (I'm from the UK). Where are you from? I think most of Europe is covered, but some places, e.g. Germany, still need some more paperwork behind the scenes.

3. IIRC, they recently switched because the prices were suffering rounding errors.

It seems to me a bit like a catch-22 - not much trading, but other people might be reluctant because of the low trade volumes. Kraken is considering becoming a market maker though soon, so hopefully that will rectify this problem.
Kraken,

1. I don't see you here: http://www.bitcoincharts.com/markets/ what are your daily volumes?

2. Can someone living in Europe become your client?

3. Why BTC/LTC when everybody quotes LTC/BTC?

I know that on other exchanges (e.g. Mt. Gox) I can have a wallet in any of the currencies they trade.  So if for some reason the XBT/EUR was trading higher than the XBT/USD (after factoring the EUR/USD rate), then it might be more profitable to sell bitcoins and get those EUR, then at a later time when the two markets equilibrate I then buy BTCs and move the funds over to USDs.  So I might hold and trade with EUR even though I might never deposit or withdraw EUR.     This adds liquidity to that market.

Does a Kraken account for someone in the U.S. allow wallets for both USD and EUR?

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about wallets as you do with MtGox, you should be able to make use of any public trading pairs regardless of location or preferences (as long as you have funds in that asset!).
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

Jump to: