Author

Topic: [ANN] Litecoin - a lite version of Bitcoin. Launched! - page 409. (Read 1466174 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 501
Is adding daemon=1 necessary? Mine runs perfectly fine with just server=1

I think daemon might have been deprecated by the looks of the bitcoin wiki
Edit: Nevermind, look at my post just above this.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Mine too. I'm getting rich on the testnet lol
Activity: 481
Merit: 502

I think daemon might have been deprecated by the looks of the bitcoin wiki
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
For me the time is just perfect, can set it up and go for my lunch! Smiley
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
I'll try waking up early in the morning to upload the litecoin.conf to http://litecoin.org/downloads/litecoin.conf for you shell-script ninjas. I'm not promising anything, but I'll do my best to get it up as soon as coblee gives us all the genesis hash.

Please note that I will not be specifying an rpcuser or rpcpassword argument for you. It is up to you to pass this onto your daemon with the -rpcuser and -rpcpassword parameters. Also make sure you add -server and -daemon if you're running on a headless box.

Edit: I've decided to specify all the parameters, you can just wget the configuration file and be all set for mining.
Here's how the config will look once pushed to the server:
Code:
rpcuser=miner
rpcpassword=litecoin
server=1

// Genesis hash will replace this line.
Activity: 188
Merit: 100
is there any chance of implementation within the btc-e exchange?
So far this looks the most uncontroversial of CPU coins....
No premining, no crazy inflation (although I must say something like a 1% inflation once "all coins" are mined would have gotten my vote), no tax, a scheduled launch (even though it's not really at an awesome time).
If the starting difficulty is high enough to prevent the few earliest miners from getting a massive stash and the chain from growing so fast that late miners won't even be able to mine because they spend their time waiting for the chain to download (cf SC2), then there won't be much negative stuff to say about it...
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
Voting has closed, Litecoin will be launched at Thursday Oct 13, 03:00 GMT
If you are in the US, that's 8pm pacific and 11pm eastern on Wednesday Oct 12. That's less than 24 hours away!
Make sure you have updated your binaries.

Lets try to get the fixed litecoin.conf file up for EU users so they can download it automatically and start mining at the same time as US users.

+1. It would be great if there was a litecoin.conf that we can just wget at 3AM and start mining (or even just a text file that was updated with the 2 extra parameters at 3AM that we could append to our configs?). Although I'm glad I have my backup plan if not
Activity: 756
So far this looks the most uncontroversial of CPU coins....
ama
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Sucks to be Europe. But well, that's still better than millions of premined coins and I had to get up at 5:45am UTC+2 anyway... might as well make it 5 I guess... Also, I hope that the starting difficulty won't be ridiculously low.

Same here, I'm getting up at 4:30 GMT and teaching a class at 6:00 GMT.  I might try getting up a bit earlier too, let see how it goes.
If you are in the US, that's 8pm pacific and 11pm eastern on Wednesday Oct 12. That's less than 24 hours away!
Sucks to be Europe. But well, that's still better than millions of premined coins and I had to get up at 5:45am UTC+2 anyway... might as well make it 5 I guess... Also, I hope that the starting difficulty won't be ridiculously low.
ama
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Lets try to get the fixed litecoin.conf file up for EU users so they can download it automatically and start mining at the same time as US users.

Are there differencies in the config depending on the time zone?    Huh
Activity: 518

Oh great !
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

donator
Activity: 1651
Merit: 1284
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
donator
Important

I have some bad news. Unfortunately, I need to make everyone download a new binary (or source code) again. I found a flaw in my logic that could lead to a potential attack against the chain. Technical details in the next paragraph. Basically, some people might have been able to start mining on the real chain ahead of time. So I need to patch up the code to prevent that. I will make another post when source and binaries are ready. Really sorry about this, but it's good that I caught this.

Here's the technical details for those of you that understand and care. I locked down the genesis block such that only the genesis hash is checked in and you need to provide the genesis time and genesis nonce in order for the client to run. But if you modify the code, you can easily bypass this check. So you can start working on the chain by building on the genesis hash. I previously thought about this, so I found one block and locked that block hash into the code. Even if you start building a chain against the genesis block, you won't be able to correctly find the first block that matches the block hash in the code. Your chain will be rejected by all the other clients because the block hash won't match. This is all good, EXCEPT I accidentally left a client running on the real chain in the open. So if someone modifies the code to run against the genesis block, their client can request block 1 from me. And once they do that, they can start building their chain against that in secret. I am not 100% sure that someone is doing this, but I checked the logs and noticed a connection from a few unknown IP addresses AND I saw a few getdata calls that were requesting for blocks. Since it's possible that the blocks have been sent out, I will need to patch the code to lock another block in. This time I will find the 2nd block in private, and lock that in. I figure it's better to be safe.

Ok, I checked in a fix and uploaded a new Windows client. Please check first post.
donator
Important

I have some bad news. Unfortunately, I need to make everyone download a new binary (or source code) again. I found a flaw in my logic that could lead to a potential attack against the chain. Technical details in the next paragraph. Basically, some people might have been able to start mining on the real chain ahead of time. So I need to patch up the code to prevent that. I will make another post when source and binaries are ready. Really sorry about this, but it's good that I caught this.

Here's the technical details for those of you that understand and care. I locked down the genesis block such that only the genesis hash is checked in and you need to provide the genesis time and genesis nonce in order for the client to run. But if you modify the code, you can easily bypass this check. So you can start working on the chain by building on the genesis hash. I previously thought about this, so I found one block and locked that block hash into the code. Even if you start building a chain against the genesis block, you won't be able to correctly find the first block that matches the block hash in the code. Your chain will be rejected by all the other clients because the block hash won't match. This is all good, EXCEPT I accidentally left a client running on the real chain in the open. So if someone modifies the code to run against the genesis block, their client can request block 1 from me. And once they do that, they can start building their chain against that in secret. I am not 100% sure that someone is doing this, but I checked the logs and noticed a connection from a few unknown IP addresses AND I saw a few getdata calls that were requesting for blocks. Since it's possible that the blocks have been sent out, I will need to patch the code to lock another block in. This time I will find the 2nd block in private, and lock that in. I figure it's better to be safe.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
You can put the scrypt algorithm into cgminer yourself.  It's not hard.  cgminer already has support for multiple algorithms.  It'll be a gross hack, since it won't work with the beautiful code to auto-benchmark and pick the best CPU miner for your hardware, but it can be done almost as simply as overwriting one of the existing algorithm files with scrypt.c

I'm hoping to get enough time to do reasonable scrypt support in cgminer.  Not having much luck getting time to work in it lately, but it won't be hard.  CK's code is a joy to work with.

legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 1783
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
got minerd working for localhost... will have to mess with config so I can have multiple computers connect to litecoind Smiley

I don't suppose there are any -nice- output options for minerd like cgminer has?  cgminer keeps running stats at the top of the screen that lets you know your hash rate, your shares/min, cpu usage, etc, etc... this spammage of 'thread # #.## khash/sec' will annoy me -real- fast, but I like to see some things.
No.
minderd is based on the old cpu miner version of cgminer - before the current incantation of cgminer existed.
All the nice output (and the major redesign of it internally) was written by ckolivas in cgminer.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
got minerd working for localhost... will have to mess with config so I can have multiple computers connect to litecoind Smiley

I don't suppose there are any -nice- output options for minerd like cgminer has?  cgminer keeps running stats at the top of the screen that lets you know your hash rate, your shares/min, cpu usage, etc, etc... this spammage of 'thread # #.## khash/sec' will annoy me -real- fast, but I like to see some things.
Jump to: