Author

Topic: [ANN] Litecoin - a lite version of Bitcoin. Launched! - page 410. (Read 1466308 times)

donator
Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
Important

I have some bad news. Unfortunately, I need to make everyone download a new binary (or source code) again. I found a flaw in my logic that could lead to a potential attack against the chain. Technical details in the next paragraph. Basically, some people might have been able to start mining on the real chain ahead of time. So I need to patch up the code to prevent that. I will make another post when source and binaries are ready. Really sorry about this, but it's good that I caught this.

Here's the technical details for those of you that understand and care. I locked down the genesis block such that only the genesis hash is checked in and you need to provide the genesis time and genesis nonce in order for the client to run. But if you modify the code, you can easily bypass this check. So you can start working on the chain by building on the genesis hash. I previously thought about this, so I found one block and locked that block hash into the code. Even if you start building a chain against the genesis block, you won't be able to correctly find the first block that matches the block hash in the code. Your chain will be rejected by all the other clients because the block hash won't match. This is all good, EXCEPT I accidentally left a client running on the real chain in the open. So if someone modifies the code to run against the genesis block, their client can request block 1 from me. And once they do that, they can start building their chain against that in secret. I am not 100% sure that someone is doing this, but I checked the logs and noticed a connection from a few unknown IP addresses AND I saw a few getdata calls that were requesting for blocks. Since it's possible that the blocks have been sent out, I will need to patch the code to lock another block in. This time I will find the 2nd block in private, and lock that in. I figure it's better to be safe.

Ok, I checked in a fix and uploaded a new Windows client. Please check first post.
donator
Important

I have some bad news. Unfortunately, I need to make everyone download a new binary (or source code) again. I found a flaw in my logic that could lead to a potential attack against the chain. Technical details in the next paragraph. Basically, some people might have been able to start mining on the real chain ahead of time. So I need to patch up the code to prevent that. I will make another post when source and binaries are ready. Really sorry about this, but it's good that I caught this.

Here's the technical details for those of you that understand and care. I locked down the genesis block such that only the genesis hash is checked in and you need to provide the genesis time and genesis nonce in order for the client to run. But if you modify the code, you can easily bypass this check. So you can start working on the chain by building on the genesis hash. I previously thought about this, so I found one block and locked that block hash into the code. Even if you start building a chain against the genesis block, you won't be able to correctly find the first block that matches the block hash in the code. Your chain will be rejected by all the other clients because the block hash won't match. This is all good, EXCEPT I accidentally left a client running on the real chain in the open. So if someone modifies the code to run against the genesis block, their client can request block 1 from me. And once they do that, they can start building their chain against that in secret. I am not 100% sure that someone is doing this, but I checked the logs and noticed a connection from a few unknown IP addresses AND I saw a few getdata calls that were requesting for blocks. Since it's possible that the blocks have been sent out, I will need to patch the code to lock another block in. This time I will find the 2nd block in private, and lock that in. I figure it's better to be safe.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
You can put the scrypt algorithm into cgminer yourself.  It's not hard.  cgminer already has support for multiple algorithms.  It'll be a gross hack, since it won't work with the beautiful code to auto-benchmark and pick the best CPU miner for your hardware, but it can be done almost as simply as overwriting one of the existing algorithm files with scrypt.c

I'm hoping to get enough time to do reasonable scrypt support in cgminer.  Not having much luck getting time to work in it lately, but it won't be hard.  CK's code is a joy to work with.

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
got minerd working for localhost... will have to mess with config so I can have multiple computers connect to litecoind Smiley

I don't suppose there are any -nice- output options for minerd like cgminer has?  cgminer keeps running stats at the top of the screen that lets you know your hash rate, your shares/min, cpu usage, etc, etc... this spammage of 'thread # #.## khash/sec' will annoy me -real- fast, but I like to see some things.
No.
minderd is based on the old cpu miner version of cgminer - before the current incantation of cgminer existed.
All the nice output (and the major redesign of it internally) was written by ckolivas in cgminer.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
got minerd working for localhost... will have to mess with config so I can have multiple computers connect to litecoind Smiley

I don't suppose there are any -nice- output options for minerd like cgminer has?  cgminer keeps running stats at the top of the screen that lets you know your hash rate, your shares/min, cpu usage, etc, etc... this spammage of 'thread # #.## khash/sec' will annoy me -real- fast, but I like to see some things.
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin calls me an Orphan
Someone saying they are going to make an exchange and someone doing it.. always two different things these days Smiley
donator
just a note that isn't mentioned in the unix help file, had to
Code:
sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev
in ubuntu 11.04 to get litecoind to compile (fresh reinstall as of yesterday)

litecoin-qt compiled just fine following the debian instructions(this was before I tried litecoind)

Now to try to get the miner to compile...

miner should be pretty easy, just get:
automake
libcurl
libcurl-devel

And you should be good.

Any news of Intel optimizations !?

Try following the first post. Or if you have time read through this (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-demonstration-cpu-miner-available-1925) and tell us what you find out.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Code:

litecoin-qt compiled just fine following the debian instructions(this was before I tried litecoind)

automake
libcurl
libcurl-devel

And you should be good.

Any news of Intel optimizations !?
donator
Code:

automake
libcurl
libcurl-devel

And you should be good.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Code:

Activity: 96
Merit: 10
Okay, I have a pool set up for litecoin. Testing on the testnet currently, works just fine. Doesn't work very well right now with 1 share per block. But, it works.

I've tested it inside and out of this networking using the latest miner for tenebrix and using the pushpool fork by artforz for tenebrix. Works like magic. Simple interface, just use a litecoin address to register, and it automatically creates workers like this: yourlitecoinaddress_1:1, yourlitecoinaddress_2:2

I'll start that maybe the day after or something when difficulty increases a little bit.

I'm also working on an exchange. Are there any other exchanges planned? I just wanted it to go from like lc<->btc, lc<->tbx ? None of the fancy charts like on btc-e but would be text based like bitparking.

Are there any other exchanges in the works, or should I push on with this hard? I'd love to be the first and only but if the big players like bitparking and btc-e have exchanges up there is no sense in me competing.

Stop arguing with bananala and have a real discussion. Just ignore the guy... someone put a don't feed the trolls image here.

Are there any exchanges in the works, or should I continue development? I don't really want to spend the time on the code since there are dozens of other exchanges that could added the capabilities much easier than I can.
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
I have no control over the launch time. Only the poll does, so go vote.

I voted Thursday and so did most other people so why are you saying Wednesday now !?

Please check your timezone. The last option in the poll is Thursday in GMT but Wednesday in the US. And that's 29 hours away.

Yes I am in London so GMT is the time I need. So then it is Thursday my time right !? Please make it in afternoon not at 3AM like SolidCoin !

Now you're just being dumb. Why do I even bother responding to you?

Why am I being dumb ? I am asking you to release it at a reasonable time so I don't have to stay awake all night then go to work the next day without having slept a minute etc.

Please consider this. Thanks !

Read the first quote above again. I already said that whatever option wins out in the poll will set the time of launch. So why should I make the launch later just for you... especially when you call me a Japanese scammer in your sig?

+1.

Bulanula: what happened to "OMG SCAMCOIN!"?

If you're at work, then tough shit. Sucks to be you. 4am is inconvienient for me also.
donator

I voted Thursday and so did most other people so why are you saying Wednesday now !?

Please check your timezone. The last option in the poll is Thursday in GMT but Wednesday in the US. And that's 29 hours away.

Yes I am in London so GMT is the time I need. So then it is Thursday my time right !? Please make it in afternoon not at 3AM like SolidCoin !

Why am I being dumb ? I am asking you to release it at a reasonable time so I don't have to stay awake all night then go to work the next day without having slept a minute etc.

Read the first quote above again. I already said that whatever option wins out in the poll will set the time of launch. So why should I make the launch later just for you... especially when you call me a Japanese scammer in your sig?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065
Question for technical people. Would it be a bad idea if I told people to add "addnode=" to their litecoin.conf file so that they will immediately talk to my client for the genesis block? Would that overwhelm my client and take my client down? Or does bitcoin handle that well?
By default Satoshi client accepts 125 incoming connections. The flag is "-maxconnections". Then there's kernel per-process limit "getconf OPEN_MAX" which is 1024. That's all if you running Linux. On Windows you'll have to run a Windows Server to accept many incoming connections.

I didn't read you code, I'm assuming you did a competent job modifying it.

donator

Activity: 96
Merit: 10
Okay, I have a pool set up for litecoin. Testing on the testnet currently, works just fine. Doesn't work very well right now with 1 share per block. But, it works.

I've tested it inside and out of this networking using the latest miner for tenebrix and using the pushpool fork by artforz for tenebrix. Works like magic. Simple interface, just use a litecoin address to register, and it automatically creates workers like this: yourlitecoinaddress_1:1, yourlitecoinaddress_2:2

I'll start that maybe the day after or something when difficulty increases a little bit.

I'm also working on an exchange. Are there any other exchanges planned? I just wanted it to go from like lc<->btc, lc<->tbx ? None of the fancy charts like on btc-e but would be text based like bitparking.

Are there any other exchanges in the works, or should I push on with this hard? I'd love to be the first and only but if the big players like bitparking and btc-e have exchanges up there is no sense in me competing.

donator

I swear the launch is on Thursday right !? Please make it as late as possible ! Thank you !

Jump to: