Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace - page 17. (Read 125889 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
Scammers are why we can't have nice things.
But scammers are pretty much everywhere.

Which is why we can't nice things anywhere Sad . Scammers always makes things more challenging.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
But scammers are pretty much everywhere.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
legendary
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
I guess if that is how it is done now......but I still like the old way. Thanks
legendary
Funding the escrow from the online wallet is a good way for the buyer to know the seller is serious and actually has the coins.

There are plenty of sellers who list but don't actually have any intention of following through with contacts.

You can limit your risk by only keeping enough in the LB wallet to fund your largest ad.
legendary
Is it a new feature to have to use the localbitcoins online wallet to fund the escrow acct. automatically now?  This was not the case when I had used the site before, you would just fund the acct. directly.

I don't particularly want to keep my BTC in some online wallet while trying to strike deals with traders which tend to fall through.  Is there a way to turn the online wallet off?  Thanks

Online sales require escrow, local sales don't. Will have to use/start another site that is completely hackproof (no private keys out of your exclusive control).

I really do not mind using the escrow, it is just why do I have to use their online wallet feature to fund the escrow.  I was perfectly happy funding from my own wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
Is it a new feature to have to use the localbitcoins online wallet to fund the escrow acct. automatically now?  This was not the case when I had used the site before, you would just fund the acct. directly.

I don't particularly want to keep my BTC in some online wallet while trying to strike deals with traders which tend to fall through.  Is there a way to turn the online wallet off?  Thanks

Online sales require escrow, local sales don't. Will have to use/start another site that is completely hackproof (no private keys out of your exclusive control).
legendary
Is it a new feature to have to use the localbitcoins online wallet to fund the escrow acct. automatically now?  This was not the case when I had used the site before, you would just fund the acct. directly.

I don't particularly want to keep my BTC in some online wallet while trying to strike deals with traders which tend to fall through.  Is there a way to turn the online wallet off?  Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
I just got an offer to sell BTC, the email address is not the same one linked on my localBTC though Grin

the email was sent to [email protected], this is not my localbitcoins linked address, terrible scam easily see through it.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
The concept of localbitcoin is very good. The more people use it the better.
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
Careful... just received a fishing email with an offer to buy bitcoins on localbitcoins.

Was wondering how I got an offer since I didn't have any active ads running.

The link links to llocalbitcoins.com

llocalbitcoins.com is now 404

The fishing site still comes up if you use the link in the email.  If you just enter the address with nothing further you get a 404, since there's no html in /
legendary
Activity: 1358
https://gliph.me/hUF
Probably still helps to set a MIN and MAX integer, just in case.
Price is moving so quickly that those numbers quickly become obsolete.

An added 24hr average sort of "protects" against quick drops.

2weiX has recommended a reserve price earlier in this thread and that works well for me ever since. Thanks again!
legendary
Probably still helps to set a MIN and MAX integer, just in case.
Price is moving so quickly that those numbers quickly become obsolete.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Careful... just received a fishing email with an offer to buy bitcoins on localbitcoins.

llocalbitcoins.com is now 404
Activity: 956

legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
if you don't want to be gamed, set a minimum price to sell at or a max price to buy at.

Code:
min(mtgoxUSD_ask*1.05,350)
sells at mtgox+5% as long or 350$, whichever is higher.

Code:
max(btcdeEUR_bid*0.95,230)
buys 5% below bitcoin.de bid but no higher than 230€.

Edith: Just read the blogpost, really good stuff in there. Probably still helps to set a MIN and MAX integer, just in case.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm
Now that I started using wire trades, I ran into the problem that buyers are supposed to instantly get my bitcoins into escrow so using a simple formula doesn't cut it anymore if I want to protect myself against some wild swings.
http://localbitcoins.blogspot.com/2013/06/this-is-first-in-series-of-posts.html

Thank you but that's not really my point. The thousands of users should not have to dig into these details if the developers of LB can just give them maybe exactly what you came up with. Give the users to tweak some parameters and if that's not enough, let them play but give them some protection against some too stupid price movements. Some "pause advertisement on wild swings" checkbox would maybe be the easiest to understand.

I get the feeling that if that many people were all using pre-defined formulas like that, the system would be easy to game.
legendary
Now that I started using wire trades, I ran into the problem that buyers are supposed to instantly get my bitcoins into escrow so using a simple formula doesn't cut it anymore if I want to protect myself against some wild swings.

Thank you but that's not really my point. The thousands of users should not have to dig into these details if the developers of LB can just give them maybe exactly what you came up with. Give the users to tweak some parameters and if that's not enough, let them play but give them some protection against some too stupid price movements. Some "pause advertisement on wild swings" checkbox would maybe be the easiest to understand.
They  seem  pretty much overwhelmed just keeping the site operational.

Your best bet is honestly to order to code it for them.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com

Pages:
Jump to: