Author

Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained] - page 137. (Read 1369778 times)

Activity: 614
Merit: 506
Applications
How big is the mintcoin wallet/blockchain right now?

I don't know, but it takes forever to sync...

Not if you keep a backup of the entire appdata folder, SD cards are getting cheaper everyday & storing a complete backup of everything once a week/month is something I would strongly recommend. Hardware wallets are even more simplified, if they were to come prebuilt with a simple link right on the desktop. Showing the wallet.dat file location, also a text (+ a video would be 10x better for the entire world, google or bing translate would work though. Just might not be as easy to follow as a video, as translations are often not 100% correct at times?) with detailed instructions on using the MINT client. I have actually talked about keeping the spec's of what it takes to run the wallet, just like you would with any other software. Detailed CPU/RAM/HDD needed to run is something that should be in the OP, some will be different & take more depending on the addresses/staking/etc... A minimum requirement is kind of a standard in software, wouldn't hurt to have it on the OP & website though.

// I also sent a message to the mintcointeam account with an update to the block explorer list, adding PressTab's block explorer to the OP. Great work, nice to see another place to find all the charts/info one is looking for & even a few new features Cool

https://github.com/TestingCrypto/ANN-OP-Thread-BBcode/commit/6481dfd29219d9a82f4eddefad9000eda84d5ee5

P.S. If it takes a few minutes to start the client with an wallet.dat from over a year ago, it does help to create a new wallet & transfer everything over. Since starting the client searches from the newest to the oldest (not 100% sure, but testing looks like it does pull from new to old?), so having a wallet closer to the top of the chain does help.
Activity: 611
Merit: 500
Anglo Saxon Crypto Enthusiast

The 'Mintcoin Daily' files you get from the torrent sync right now unpack to 1.86 GB. But it takes most people 3 to 5 days to sync a new wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
twet.ch/inv/62d7ae96

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Right now I am discussing with a developer potential next steps for wallet improvements.

Here is a recap of the conversation - would love the communities input on the discussion.

SECURITY UPDATE - FORK REQUIRED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would say that mints biggest security risk is the 2 hour time drift allowance. Read about the vulnerability here http://bitcoinist.net/interview-presstab-pos-vulnerabilities/

Have you or any of the community ever put any though into reducing the target block time? Current looks like 30 seconds. My concern would be long term syncability of the chain. It isn't too easy to sync it at the current 1.5 million blocks, and a few years from now it will be even harder. Raising the block time could be a beneficial long term change to throw in while a hard fork occurs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USER INTERFACE - FORK NOT REQUIRED
I want to release an improved wallet with the current price increase as I believe now would be a good time to stride forward; however I want to wait until the newbie minters out there have had a chance to see how profitable minting really is before mentioning a hard fork (2-3 months) - the price is more than fair - I am happy to pay out of pocket to get these changes implemented.

Do you have any ideas for improvement on the existing wallet without a hard fork that we could release first? This way I can make sure everyone has time to mint - while developers can test the changes and report to the community on upgrades.

It would be awesome if we could figure out a way to incorporate the latest blockchain which is updated daily and hosted giving a more easy to use integration. I would also like to make repairwallet easier to find (under Help)

When the wallet opens it would be nice to have the client choose between import wallet or create new wallet.

What do you think about requiring people to use a password for Mintcoin?

This has always bothered me that Mintcoin does not require a password. I would even go as far as requiring a pass "phrase" to log in (note that capital letters and punctuation are required)

Anyways let me know your thoughts on this - these are just a few ideas.
The non-fork ideas have been collected while troubleshooting upgrades, wallet issues and new wallet installs.

My thoughts are to release the non-fork required wallet first and than release the fork required wallet once everyone has had a chance to get comfortable with the existing wallet and mint a few times. (Assuming there are many new minters out there)

MARKETING
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a campaign pending for the announcement of a new hard wallet. Basically we would have an option for a mintcoin hard staking wallet with a custom gui and social partnership between the two parties. There is also a partnership area on their website which we would be featured in. Unfortunately the project has not been completed due to this issue:

Also just finally got the daemon built

I'm getting the following error:

root@bigsmall:~/Mintcoin-Desktop-Wallet/src# ./mintcoind
mintcoind: main.cpp:2585: bool LoadBlockIndex(bool): Assertion `block.GetHash() == (!fTestNet ? hashGenesisBlock : hashGenesisBlockTestNet)' failed.
Aborted

The line

mintcoind: main.cpp:2585: bool LoadBlockIndex(bool): Assertion `block.GetHash() == (!fTestNet ? hashGenesisBlock : hashGenesisBlockTestNet)' failed.

--------------------------------------

I am planning on finishing up the NGO paperwork for Wisconsin, United State of America this week.
In preparation of this new filing we could really use some help collecting Non-Profit Organizations that currently accept Bitcoin and document them for partnership contacts. This way we can vote on pre-existing organizations and make our own personal community goals to achieve to help the causes chosen by the community.

As we build up partnerships we can start generating marketing plans to support them as well increasing our reach.
---------------------------------------------------

We are currently lacking in two areas : IRC & http://www.mintcoinofficial.com/forums/

-----------------------------------------------------

About the wallet and syncing time. So with Bitcoin now, not many people will run the Bitcoin core wallet on their computer with it's massive blockchain download, and takes a very long time to sync. However, there are alternatives like Multibit that work really well, this doesn't require the whole blockchain locally to run, and also, there is the option to require a password whenever transacting out of the wallet. I don't like the idea of a password being forced on us much at all, but the option is always good.  However, I recently tried to install a fresh wallet on a mac and the wallet took a few days and synced most of the blockchain before crashing, and now this error stops it from starting up. We have to avoid this kind of user experience as it may completely turn off a newcomer. So I think it is more important to release an alternative wallet that doesn't require the whole blockchain than it is to make another hard fork and require everyone to update at this stage. It would be great to see a hardware wallet though.
Activity: 425
Merit: 250
In case you missed it, The Greek banks are going to be closed for at least a week. If/when banks reopen a 60€ withdrawal limit will be imposed. Greek stock market also being frozen.

GREEK PRIME MINISTER SAYS "GREEK PEOPLE SHOULD REMAIN CALM"

Good luck with that  Roll Eyes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/11704054/Greece-crisis-live-banks-to-close-on-Monday-and-capital-controls-imposed-after-ECB-caps-funding-at-current-levels.html

Now do you understand the corruption??? They wont even let you take your own money out.

I'm on my 3rd day syncing mintcoin wallet and at 64%, that's worse, I can't even put money in!

I just used the Bittorrent Sync method to speed things up, I'll post directions because when people say 'Just use the bootstrap!' this isn't very clear. These steps will save you waiting once the torrent is downloaded.

1. Get Bittorrent Sync from https://www.getsync.com/ and install, set a sharing directory.

2. Once installed, open this link: https://link.getsync.com/#f=Mintcoin_daily&sz=12E8&t=1&s=SNTPNBS7OXQM5TZCEPZLPAGSB37LAJUF&i=CW6PY36ZAT2EPXWS7DTBOJMHJGMOXANPQ&v=2.0 (this link posted on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/MintCoin/comments/3ajk5b/wallet_not_syncing_again/

3. When finished, the file you want is in 7z format, use 7zip to open the archive. This archive has everything you need to go into the C:/Users/*yourusername*/Appdata/Roaming/Mintcoin directory, which is normally hidden. You just need to paste in your wallet.dat file, or keep it in this folder and delete everything else.

4. Run the wallet, using the checkwallet, repairwallet, and rescan commands if required.

Right now I am discussing with a developer potential next steps for wallet improvements.

Here is a recap of the conversation - would love the communities input on the discussion.

SECURITY UPDATE - FORK REQUIRED
I would say that mints biggest security risk is the 2 hour time drift allowance. Read about the vulnerability here http://bitcoinist.net/interview-presstab-pos-vulnerabilities/

Have you or any of the community ever put any though into reducing the target block time? Current looks like 30 seconds. My concern would be long term syncability of the chain. It isn't too easy to sync it at the current 1.5 million blocks, and a few years from now it will be even harder. Raising the block time could be a beneficial long term change to throw in while a hard fork occurs.

USER INTERFACE - FORK NOT REQUIRED
I want to release an improved wallet with the current price increase as I believe now would be a good time to stride forward; however I want to wait until the newbie minters out there have had a chance to see how profitable minting really is before mentioning a hard fork (2-3 months) - the price is more than fair - I am happy to pay out of pocket to get these changes implemented.

Do you have any ideas for improvement on the existing wallet without a hard fork that we could release first? This way I can make sure everyone has time to mint - while developers can test the changes and report to the community on upgrades.

It would be awesome if we could figure out a way to incorporate the latest blockchain which is updated daily and hosted giving a more easy to use integration. I would also like to make repairwallet easier to find (under Help)

When the wallet opens it would be nice to have the client choose between import wallet or create new wallet.

What do you think about requiring people to use a password for Mintcoin?

This has always bothered me that Mintcoin does not require a password. I would even go as far as requiring a pass "phrase" to log in (note that capital letters and punctuation are required)

Anyways let me know your thoughts on this - these are just a few ideas.
The non-fork ideas have been collected while troubleshooting upgrades, wallet issues and new wallet installs.

My thoughts are to release the non-fork required wallet first and than release the fork required wallet once everyone has had a chance to get comfortable with the existing wallet and mint a few times. (Assuming there are many new minters out there)

MARKETING
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a campaign pending for the announcement of a new hard wallet. Basically we would have an option for a mintcoin hard staking wallet with a custom gui and social partnership between the two parties. There is also a partnership area on their website which we would be featured in. Unfortunately the project has not been completed due to this issue:

Also just finally got the daemon built

I'm getting the following error:

root@bigsmall:~/Mintcoin-Desktop-Wallet/src# ./mintcoind
Aborted

The line

--------------------------------------

I am planning on finishing up the NGO paperwork for Wisconsin, United State of America this week.
In preparation of this new filing we could really use some help collecting Non-Profit Organizations that currently accept Bitcoin and document them for partnership contacts. This way we can vote on pre-existing organizations and make our own personal community goals to achieve to help the causes chosen by the community.

As we build up partnerships we can start generating marketing plans to support them as well increasing our reach.
---------------------------------------------------

We are currently lacking in two areas : IRC & http://www.mintcoinofficial.com/forums/

-----------------------------------------------------

In case you missed it, The Greek banks are going to be closed for at least a week. If/when banks reopen a 60€ withdrawal limit will be imposed. Greek stock market also being frozen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/11704054/Greece-crisis-live-banks-to-close-on-Monday-and-capital-controls-imposed-after-ECB-caps-funding-at-current-levels.html

Now do you understand the corruption??? They wont even let you take your own money out.

I'm on my 3rd day syncing mintcoin wallet and at 64%, that's worse, I can't even put money in!

I just used the Bittorrent Sync method to speed things up, I'll post directions because when people say 'Just use the bootstrap!' this isn't very clear. These steps will save you waiting once the torrent is downloaded.

1. Get Bittorrent Sync from https://www.getsync.com/ and install, set a sharing directory.

2. Once installed, open this link: https://link.getsync.com/#f=Mintcoin_daily&sz=12E8&t=1&s=SNTPNBS7OXQM5TZCEPZLPAGSB37LAJUF&i=CW6PY36ZAT2EPXWS7DTBOJMHJGMOXANPQ&v=2.0 (this link posted on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/MintCoin/comments/3ajk5b/wallet_not_syncing_again/

3. When finished, the file you want is in 7z format, use 7zip to open the archive. This archive has everything you need to go into the C:/Users/*yourusername*/Appdata/Roaming/Mintcoin directory, which is normally hidden. You just need to paste in your wallet.dat file, or keep it in this folder and delete everything else.

4. Run the wallet, using the checkwallet, repairwallet, and rescan commands if required.
Just a reminder to people that I bought the www.mintcoin-central.com domain from the old developer, and I have all the assets for the old site in wordpress format. Now that mintcoin is going so strong, maybe we can table some ideas for what this website can do that would be of benefit to mintcoin.

This whole debacle in Greece, where banks have shuttered and have tiny daily withdrawal limits, really shows how important something like Mintcoin is. We can leave it to Bitcoin to advocate for Cryptos in general and have infastructure in place, while Mintcoin can quietly generate interest and make gains for people that know about it, but what can a new site do to help bring 'Mintcoin to the masses' so to speak?
Activity: 574
As far as I know the Bittorent Sync is the only one. I see no reason for another since this one works great and gets updated daily!
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1023
I am a good bro
Is there any block's torrent expect bittorrent link ?
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1010
Download bootstrap Wink

Or...verify funds arriving safely with a block explorer.  No local blockchain required.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1010
For those that like to see process.  You'll have to trust me for now that this is MINT related.  Smiley

Activity: 356

Nice numbers there. I just wanted to show the % did not decrease as some have feared.

One of the things I am trying to promote is Mintcoin produces at a % to a fixed number. The more you  have the more you earn.

For me it's my savings plan. I have been collecting for a long time now and continue to deposit $20 into mintcoin every payday regardless of the price because I know it will mint and earn more money then a traditional savings account.
Yesterday's Mintings:

Nice numbers there. I just wanted to show the % did not decrease as some have feared.
Activity: 356
Meanwhile in Greece...

Alpha and Omega...Beginning and the End

Now renamed Omega Bank lol
My minting report Smiley

June 8 = 128.670

June 28 = 141.800

Yesterday's Mintings: