Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] PEEPCOIN / PCN: CLASSIC COMMUNITY, SINCE 2016 - page 25. (Read 46150 times)

Activity: 96
Merit: 10
Is there a swap happening? If so what’s the ratio
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092
Further update on speeding up the bootstrap

[...]

Currently testing a new build of the client to see how much it improves performance.

Test bootstrap import on Windows client completed. There's virtually no distinguishable difference. Sad With a clean datadir (on SSD) it still takes 11-12 hours.

With older clients it's possible to do a poor man's bootstrap by downloading blk0001.dat and then starting the client with the -reindex option, but it looks like newer leveldb based clients do not support this. Pity, because a reindex would take several minutes rather than several hours.

I guess the only other way is to provide a complete archive of the blockchain database for download, but because it also contains indexes it will be larger than a bootstrap.
legendary
Further update on speeding up the bootstrap

The changes I made above didn't really make a lot of difference to import time.

I've since realised that much of the per-block verification is superfluous when importing a bootstrap, because the hardened checkpoints should ensure the chain of blocks we're importing is valid. I've updated the code to skip much of the 'expensive' verification during a bootstrap, such as checking every transaction in every block.

Currently testing a new build of the client to see how much it improves performance.

I'm also revamping my coin building system with updates to libraries (eg latest openssl) and cross compilers.

I'll be uploading the source to my github account and releasing a new Windows client once I've done more testing.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
Is it possible that my wallet.dat file got broken? I tried a lot of things with no success. Every time I start the wallet it just go directly to no responding state. Even if I delete the folder and start the wallet it goes to no responding immediately. I left it for the night to see if it is like a false no responding, but nothing changed. I downloaded the wallet on another pc and sync it and try to move it to this one, but no success. Any more ideas?

Make a backup of your existing wallet.dat, then try starting the client with -salvagewallet commandline option.

For example, from a command prompt:

peepcoin-qt.exe -salvagewallet

This will sift through your wallet file and pull out the private keys, then create a new clean wallet with the keys it has recovered.

Note that salvage may also take some time as it needs to rescan the blockchain.

Do you remember your balance? If the salvage recovers all your funds, then you can move on. If not, we'll have to figure out something else. Smiley

I will try this. I see my balance when I use the files from the original wallet.
legendary
Is it possible that my wallet.dat file got broken? I tried a lot of things with no success. Every time I start the wallet it just go directly to no responding state. Even if I delete the folder and start the wallet it goes to no responding immediately. I left it for the night to see if it is like a false no responding, but nothing changed. I downloaded the wallet on another pc and sync it and try to move it to this one, but no success. Any more ideas?

Make a backup of your existing wallet.dat, then try starting the client with -salvagewallet commandline option.

For example, from a command prompt:

peepcoin-qt.exe -salvagewallet

This will sift through your wallet file and pull out the private keys, then create a new clean wallet with the keys it has recovered.

Note that salvage may also take some time as it needs to rescan the blockchain.

Do you remember your balance? If the salvage recovers all your funds, then you can move on. If not, we'll have to figure out something else. Smiley

add the peepcoin.conf and also try syncing wallet to new location with the --datadir=c:\newlocatio option

I checked the other things and created the peepcoin.conf file but nothing. Only option is this one but I'm not sure how to do it? Than you for your support!

Follow this:

WINDOWS CONFIG FILE:
Have 0 connections? Place pre-made Peepcoin.conf (located below) in %appdata%/Peepcoin (folder should read something like C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Peepcoin)  and run wallet

http://anonfile.com/a8k1S1d5bf/peepcoin.conf

It should connect and begin syncing.

Activity: 266
Merit: 101
Activity: 546
Merit: 257
Have you found the Yellow Sign?
Coding update regarding bootstrap / initial sync

I've been looking at the LoadExternalBlockFile() function, which is used for importing blocks from the bootstrap file, and it's very inefficient. The Bitcoin protocol is designed for a "noisy" channel (with potential corruption) which is something you may have expected on a 2400bps modem link in 1985, but not when transferring data via TCP or from disk in the 2000s. The main thing that sticks out is that the code loads in 65536 bytes worth of data from disk just to look for a 4 byte message start header... for every single block. Modern OSs cache disk data but it's still a lot of copying of extraneous data. I'm trying a minor tweak to see if it makes much difference, then I'll consider refactoring it so that it only hunts for a header if the next block is not located immediately after the previous one (which I think would only happen if the bootstrap was corrupt). When this code was originally written, the blockchain for that coin (Bitcoin?) was probably small enough that you wouldn't notice if the computer took a few extra milliseconds to load each block from the bootstrap, but with many coins now having hundreds of thousands of blocks, or even millions, that per-block inefficiency really adds up.

I also found a minor bug in the code that calculates the median value of a list of numbers. If there's only a single value v in the list, it returns v/2 instead of v. If you are syncing from a single peer then the estimated blocks reported by the QT client will display exactly half of the actual amount. I checked 30+ other coins and they have the same bug. It's an obscure edge case to be sure, but it does demonstrate that there can still be undiscovered bugs, however minor, lurking in code which was written years ago.

You wanna push this out on Peepcoin1 source so people can see there's something actually on there and don't compile from the old one? We'll use that as the base of the upgrade if you do
legendary
Coding update regarding bootstrap / initial sync

I've been looking at the LoadExternalBlockFile() function, which is used for importing blocks from the bootstrap file, and it's very inefficient. The Bitcoin protocol is designed for a "noisy" channel (with potential corruption) which is something you may have expected on a 2400bps modem link in 1985, but not when transferring data via TCP or from disk in the 2000s. The main thing that sticks out is that the code loads in 65536 bytes worth of data from disk just to look for a 4 byte message start header... for every single block. Modern OSs cache disk data but it's still a lot of copying of extraneous data. I'm trying a minor tweak to see if it makes much difference, then I'll consider refactoring it so that it only hunts for a header if the next block is not located immediately after the previous one (which I think would only happen if the bootstrap was corrupt). When this code was originally written, the blockchain for that coin (Bitcoin?) was probably small enough that you wouldn't notice if the computer took a few extra milliseconds to load each block from the bootstrap, but with many coins now having hundreds of thousands of blocks, or even millions, that per-block inefficiency really adds up.

I also found a minor bug in the code that calculates the median value of a list of numbers. If there's only a single value v in the list, it returns v/2 instead of v. If you are syncing from a single peer then the estimated blocks reported by the QT client will display exactly half of the actual amount. I checked 30+ other coins and they have the same bug. It's an obscure edge case to be sure, but it does demonstrate that there can still be undiscovered bugs, however minor, lurking in code which was written years ago.

add the peepcoin.conf and also try syncing wallet to new location with the --datadir=c:\newlocatio option

I checked the other things and created the peepcoin.conf file but nothing. Only option is this one but I'm not sure how to do it? Than you for your support!

Follow this:

WINDOWS CONFIG FILE:
Have 0 connections? Place pre-made Peepcoin.conf (located below) in %appdata%/Peepcoin (folder should read something like C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Peepcoin)  and run wallet

Thank you. I will try this tonight and let you know if it works.

Follow this:

WINDOWS CONFIG FILE:

Why would I want to change my Peepcoins for DAPS? For what end? At least I know Peepcoin is working, even tho I need to fix my wallet problem one of these days. I bought Peepcoin just for fun and I don't want to swap/change it to other coin.. My 2 cents on the matter Smiley

Peepcoin is working? Yet you can't even access the personal wallet?  Huh You're aware we're the ones who will be updating the wallet, so you can even use your Peepcoins, correct?

The wallet was working just fine.. Just the electricity failure f.. it up. I wouldn't change it or swap to be honest.

Activity: 25
Any conversation about peepcoin needs to be
Disentangled from daps.

No mention of that in Peepcoin thread obviously.

Let’s be clear on that . It’s peepcoin we all care
About right ?. Then let’s keep it that way.

Significant decisions about peepcoin need to be
Discussed and vetted in this thread, which I see has furthered
Peepcoin cause more than anything .
@theyellowinking @bitcoinbabys
Forget the swap . You are not fooling
Anyone with the swap plan.

If you really want to do something for
The peepcoin. Host a node or document
Any fixes we need to make or any upgrades

And yes , let’s do all this in the open
Forum of bitcoin talk .
Not behind closed doors of disco rd app

It's not behind closed doors. It's open to the public and anyone can join anytime. It just happens to be a good place to have a "community" it seems. I try to get info posted when it's important on BCT, since I'm obviously a long time user.
Activity: 25
@theyellowinking @bitcoinbabys
Forget the swap . You are not fooling
Anyone with the swap plan.

If you really want to do something for
The peepcoin. Host a node or document
Any fixes we need to make or any upgrades

And yes , let’s do all this in the open
Forum of bitcoin talk .
Not behind closed doors of disco rd app
I've been running a dedicated 24/7 Peepcoin node since launch, and added another two 24/7 nodes when I released the new client (with those nodes hardcoded) on 1st September 2016. I have supported this coin in one way or another since day #1.

Then step up, and let's work together to make this coin great (or -er, if you so please). I want to push a unified trunk for all Peepcoin wallet releases, probably under the "Peepcoin1" github in an updated branch obviously, so even old holders may see it one day.

And I try not to shout, if I may seem a bit sarcastic.

The part I mention about malice is towards me and something regarding more development on this coin. I'm glad you've opened up to the idea, but we have alot of people at hand who want to tackle the task too. You're welcome to join them. I've tried to be a lot more reasonable about criticism, I understand where a lot of it comes from, but I just don't like being called "a scammer and group of scammers" because I... am not..  Sad Being called that hurts my damn feelings, to be honest with you. You can clearly see that with the coins I've been involved with in the past that I haven't ever tried to do badly by the communities I've entered. Just maybe offer criticism that seems harsh. I have done that with this project too, and have lots more of it to give. I'm keeping a grip on myself from now on, if that makes you feel any better. I just think this transition would be healthier conducted in a thread where any links to imposters or fakes will be pruned as soon as they happen instead of it being able to be exploited.

I've also made it clear that you were the main supporter of the coin while it was dormant, I just think you need to look at what we're doing and improve it instead of continue this strange limbo. With the website launch will be an opportunity to host things on there, so let's see what you can do. We have in house web development happening right now that you can be a part of to improve the backend of Peepcoin.
legendary
You allowed attacks on my personal character without even bothering to challenge it.

What does this even mean? I'm not a moderator and since this is not self-modded I have no control over this thread. I have no idea who you really are, and my own experiences with you have been very unpleasant, so I'm not going to jump in if someone says something "bad" about your character here. That's up to you to sort out, like anyone else. I'm sure you're quite capable of taking care of yourself.

You've done plenty of your own attacking, BTW.

I find that disconcerting, as all I am trying to do is bring ideas to the table! You pretend as if updating the wallets and trying to have a fork-swap is going to destroy value for peepcoin as opposed to create it. It's obvious there's interest in the ideas that are floating about, so why not work with them? You simply have acted the way you do for so long that I find a malice in your actions. Am I wrong? Do I simply misunderstand your reasoning?

It's good you seem to be willing to discuss this now, but what about the previous few weeks? There's the drilling down you gave me when I asked about the changes in Discord ( https://pastebin.com/Mu8U5Hf1). You've consistently shouted down anyone who asks difficult questions. You've repeatedly spammed the DAPS thread URL and claimed this thread is no longer valid. Anyone can browse the past few pages of this thread and see your erratic behaviour for themselves.

As for my reason for becoming involved with Peepcoin? I've explained it before: I've been mining it since day 1. I had a lot of fun with this coin because of the friendly antics between regulars in the original thread, but I also spent some time exploring where funds went, and exposing the original dev's lies. When he threw a hissy fit and asked a mod to lock and move that thread, I started this one. I simply wanted to keep the coin and community alive. That's all. How is that malicious?

I've been running a dedicated 24/7 Peepcoin node since launch, and added another two 24/7 nodes when I released the new client (with those nodes hardcoded) on 1st September 2016. I have supported this coin in one way or another since day #1.
[...]I think that open, honest, frank discussion is best for any coin and it's development. If you think things here need a shakeup let's do it, I'm all ears, I love the constructive criticism because it means that you care enough about communities to even mention it.

I find you speaking like this very disconcerting, because you seem to see-saw between rational discussion, and childish attacks on those who question your opinion. There's a lot more of the attacking in this thread.

Here's a capture of our very first conversation on Discord, where despite me trying to have a calm and rational discussion, you repeatedly belittled me with condescending, petty insults. You're eloquent, and obviously very intelligent, but the asshole level was way up this time. Certainly not the professional approach you would expect from someone involved with a coin team.

What did I ever do to you?

https://pastebin.com/Mu8U5Hf1

You allowed attacks on my personal character without even bothering to challenge it. I find that disconcerting, as all I am trying to do is bring ideas to the table! You pretend as if updating the wallets and trying to have a fork-swap is going to destroy value for peepcoin as opposed to create it. It's obvious there's interest in the ideas that are floating about, so why not work with them? You simply have acted the way you do for so long that I find a malice in your actions. Am I wrong? Do I simply misunderstand your reasoning? Maybe I'm petty just for wanting you to apologize for allowing slander and libel on me directly to go unchallenged, since I care about this coin as much if not more than anyone else here.

Also, did you know the wallet bootstrap is causing issues with people syncing? Atleast mac users specifically are reporting issues often using it. I think we need to do a remake of it and test it a bit and re release (also the chain is about 40 MB bigger now). We could get that handled pretty easily, man, and I know you are interested in supporting the project as you were involved recently until I guess I pissed you off again being me. I admit I'm not a professional corporate character. Simply an enthusiast, and love the ideas that were eventually decided to be put into action.

(edit: I repeat turns of phrase when I'm tired)
legendary
[...]I think that open, honest, frank discussion is best for any coin and it's development. If you think things here need a shakeup let's do it, I'm all ears, I love the constructive criticism because it means that you care enough about communities to even mention it.

I find you speaking like this very disconcerting, because you seem to see-saw between rational discussion, and childish attacks on those who question your opinion. There's a lot more of the attacking in this thread.

Here's a capture of our very first conversation on Discord, where despite me trying to have a calm and rational discussion, you repeatedly belittled me with condescending, petty insults. You're eloquent, and obviously very intelligent, but the asshole level was way up this time. Certainly not the professional approach you would expect from someone involved with a coin team.

What did I ever do to you?

https://pastebin.com/Mu8U5Hf1
Pages:
Jump to: