Author

Topic: [ANN] [PPC] PPCoin Released! - First Long-Term Energy-Efficient Crypto-Currency - page 140. (Read 684454 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Personally I do not use config files, I just have a shell script that sets rpcuser and rpcpassword (and anything/everything else) on the commandline.

I think though you need both the username and the password, just putting one of them doesn't work, or at least for one of them (not sure now which) just using it without the other does not work.

-MarkM-
donator
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
I am still having the same problem that the ppcoind won't launch properly as I need to create a config file even though I have already done that.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?
//DeaDTerra
legendary
All that tells me is...

"You should be able to use most bitcoin miners. RPC port default is 9902 for ppcoind"

but this does not tell me how to point my miner at the PPCoin blockchain or if i need to set up a config file to tell it where to send my solo mined blocks?? sorry little new here and running on both win 7 and win XP (2 comps for testing)

It is exactly the same as bitcoin except for the port number; use port number 9902.

(And use the rpc username and password you set up for PPCoin instead of those you set up bitcoin to use IF you didnt use the same username and password for both.)

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
I have no idea what you mean. I cloned the specified repo and tried to compile. With every other coin I have cloned from github that worked fine.
Luke-Jr's changes are in a branch of the repository called 'ppcoin'. You need to do something like:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/luke-jr/bitcoin.git ppcoin
cd ppcoin
git checkout -b ppcoin origin/ppcoin
...now you can build ppcoin....
legendary
I did a git clone of that, using git clone https://github.com/luke-jr/bitcoin.git since that is the cloning URL github shows for grabbing that repo; but trying to run the resulting daemon gets an error I have never seen before:
Did you change to the ppocoin branch after cloning?

I have no idea what you mean. I cloned the specified repo and tried to compile. With every other coin I have cloned from github that worked fine.

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010
Anyone got any step by step instructions to setting up mining on PPCoin??? I have got the script all working fine and the wallet updating with the latests blocks and transactions... but I just can't seem to get a miner configured correctly..  Any help and i'll donate the first Block I successfully mine.

Regards

Peter

https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki/Installation

All that tells me is...

"You should be able to use most bitcoin miners. RPC port default is 9902 for ppcoind"

but this does not tell me how to point my miner at the PPCoin blockchain or if i need to set up a config file to tell it where to send my solo mined blocks?? sorry little new here and running on both win 7 and win XP (2 comps for testing)

I have got the GUI Miner running for mining BTC in pool mining...
I have got the Scrypt Miner running for mining LTC to pool mining, and solo mining
I have also got each LQC and LTC in built miners working on the wallets...

But not had much success with Reaper miner or a few others... just wondering if there is anyone else who can walk e though their steps for how they got setup to mine.

Many thanks

Peter
legendary
I did a git clone of that, using git clone https://github.com/luke-jr/bitcoin.git since that is the cloning URL github shows for grabbing that repo; but trying to run the resulting daemon gets an error I have never seen before:
Did you change to the ppocoin branch after cloning?
legendary
Activity: 892
Merit: 1002
1 BTC =1 BTC
Anyone got any step by step instructions to setting up mining on PPCoin??? I have got the script all working fine and the wallet updating with the latests blocks and transactions... but I just can't seem to get a miner configured correctly..  Any help and i'll donate the first Block I successfully mine.

Regards

Peter

https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki/Installation
legendary
Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

Regards

Peter
legendary
Finally, a real non-scam altcoin! I'm not about to endorse it just yet, and time will tell if scammers turn it into a scamcoin, but it looks promising so far. Maybe if it keeps clean I'll even add support to Eligius in a few weeks Wink

Also, I've created a branch with the latest bugfixes from Bitcoin-Qt 0.6.x.

Code:
EXCEPTION: NSt8ios_base7failureE       
ReadCompactSize() : size too large       
bitcoin in AppInit()       

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::ios_base::failure'
  what():  ReadCompactSize() : size too large

-MarkM-
legendary
I am seeing a huge rate of hardware errors mining this with Diablo miner, way more than I see when using same miner to merged-mine umpteen coin types at once...

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015
(Elaborating on my previous comment a bit.)

Let's imagine lack of centralized checkpointing to consider proof-of-stake on its own.

Any rational person who has enough stake MUST try to do double-spends. Otherwise he just leaves money at the table.

There is no downside. If his reorg did not work, he doesn't lose anything (aside from little proof-of-work) and is free to try again.

So I envision future of such cryptocurrency like this: some individual or a group will accumulate a large stash of coins, wait till they are mature and will organize a double-spending service: they will accept transactions to be double-spend and then use their stash of coins to do history rewriting for a kick-back.

It's more like a game.

Checkpointing would make deep history rewrites impossible, but then security comes from centralized checkpointing alone. I.e. it is not a decentralized currency at all.
Activity: 360
Merit: 251
Hello Sunny King,

So a stakeholder (without investing in any high-hashpower hardware) could try to mount a double-spending attack and reverse a txn before the next checkpoint, by broadcasting a secret forked branch that he prepared with a higher total consumed coin age (a.k.a. BDD) ? Have you tried to analyse the potential for double-spending attacks in this protocol?

The centrally broadcasted checkpoints mechanism sounds like an extremely bad idea, do you concede that the entity that controls this mechanism can easily mount double-spending attacks? The whole point of proof-of-stake is that the stakeholders would establish the checkpoints in a distributed fashion, which can be done.

Luke-Jr, how come this centrally broadcasted checkpoints mechanism passed your scam smell-test so easily?
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015
Finally, a real non-scam altcoin!

I wouldn't be so sure... It's based on original research and seems legit, of course.

But on the other hand, as author notes proof-of-stake of this form doesn't provide protection against double-spend attacks: stake is not lost in a double-spend, so essentially people are free to participate in double-spends.

Which makes proof-of-stake essentially useless, double-spend protection is supposed to come from centralized time-stamping.

So what we get is a currency which is protected with centralized time-stamping, and a proof-of-stake used essentially just for initial distribution of coins. Which encourage owning as much coins as possible...

I'm not claiming that authors have any malicious intents, they are probably too intelligent to be scammers...

But I'm saying that currency like that would make a lot of sense for pump & dump scheme. (More so than Bitcoin clone.)

And in a long term it makes no sense since authors hope that some future magic algo will solve all issues.

So I would only seriously consider this only after authors provide analysis of economics of double-spend attacks.

(Note that Satoshi did provide some analysis of forking costs in his paper, and he mentioned some economic aspects.)

Before that it is just a proof-of-concept, not a currency.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Is a GUI client being created? Smiley

Apparently people are using the -qt client, that is GUI.

-MarkM-

Does that have to built from from source?
legendary

Apparently people are using the -qt client, that is GUI.

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 1442
legendary
Activity: 1316
Anyone pulling network stats yet?
Activity: 317
Merit: 250
GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!
Ok well it shows i have 8 connections and a bunch of other stuff. The leads me to believe it is running. What confuses me is why my 2 7950 gpus via msi afterburner are at idle.
Are you pointing them to 127.0.0.1 port 9902?

It shows the IP as 98.193.75.196

How do I go about changing this?
legendary
Ok well it shows i have 8 connections and a bunch of other stuff. The leads me to believe it is running. What confuses me is why my 2 7950 gpus via msi afterburner are at idle.
Are you pointing them to 127.0.0.1 port 9902?
Jump to: