Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 170. (Read 1382196 times)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10
November 21, 2017, 09:25:37 AM

Good news !!

I got bored and poked around the wiki Hakken recommended . It seems there's a hidden way to read the logs in SIA using the keyboard sequence "Ctrl+Shift+L". This sequence brings  up the SIA  logs  (Nice touch SIA). A peek at the SIA  'consensus' log shows I was getting the following error:

>>"synchronize.go:589: WARN: disconnecting from peer 123.456.789.123:9981 because IBD failed: block timestamp too far in future, but saved for later use"

I looked at the time set on my system  and lo-behold it was 11 hours behind the current time. I set the time correctly on the system, restarted  SIA and blam!  its synced up in less than two minutes.   My wallet is now updated, Im all synced up on the SIA blockchain and ready to store some data.

Great work SIA, but  please add the "Ctrl+Shift+L" information  to the  SIA app and a link to the wiki on the app .

Cheers Hakken et al

This SiA is very cool, Im  uploading 450GB of data and its not even batting an eye.  So far so good.   
Activity: 290
Merit: 100
November 21, 2017, 09:17:42 AM
Is there any upcoming news or event for Sia?

Any realisable site to monitor this recent news other than the blog and Reddit?
November 21, 2017, 09:01:30 AM

Good news !!

I got bored and poked around the wiki Hakken recommended . It seems there's a hidden way to read the logs in SIA using the keyboard sequence "Ctrl+Shift+L". This sequence brings  up the SIA  logs  (Nice touch SIA). A peek at the SIA  'consensus' log shows I was getting the following error:

>>"synchronize.go:589: WARN: disconnecting from peer 123.456.789.123:9981 because IBD failed: block timestamp too far in future, but saved for later use"

I looked at the time set on my system  and lo-behold it was 11 hours behind the current time. I set the time correctly on the system, restarted  SIA and blam!  its synced up in less than two minutes.   My wallet is now updated, Im all synced up on the SIA blockchain and ready to store some data.

Great work SIA, but  please add the "Ctrl+Shift+L" information  to the  SIA app and a link to the wiki on the app .

Cheers Hakken et al

Activity: 882
Merit: 252
November 21, 2017, 07:46:40 AM
I think SIA is undervalued, this is cool technology
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
November 21, 2017, 06:47:03 AM
This SIA  app needs a lot of work . Ive downloaded it added some SIA , I bought some storage and now how the hell do I upload files?  I get a message saying "you need to buy storage or wait for contracts to form". How is anyone supposed to understand this cryptic message . This non-user friendliness is whats  a painful about using SIA .

How are normal users supposed to figure this usage out ? C'mon SIA at least add a Help section in the App ...or a YouTube link ,anything ..
not everyone wants  to spend hours trawling the web for answers on what these cryptic messages mean.

Can anyone from the team comment on that matter?

Would love to hear about development plans on "How to make Sia more user-friendly"

Thanks!
November 21, 2017, 03:45:26 AM
Any new developments regarding SIA and maybe a new Windows wallet? The old one could use an update, maybe more simple?

A UI overhaul is currently being worked on. Most probably it will be ready in the 1.3.1 update (December)

Does one need to close and reopen the SIA app after adding coins  to the wallet ? Or does  the APP update by itself ?

No, the balance will update automatically. If you made a transfer and it is not on your balance yet it could be due to delays on the side of the exchange (if that is the case) or because your client is not yet synchronized with the network. Let us know if you have problems.

This SIA  app needs a lot of work . Ive downloaded it added some SIA , I bought some storage and now how the hell do I upload files?  I get a message saying "you need to buy storage or wait for contracts to form". How is anyone supposed to understand this cryptic message . This non-user friendliness is whats  a painful about using SIA .

How are normal users supposed to figure this usage out ? C'mon SIA at least add a Help section in the App ...or a YouTube link ,anything ..
not everyone wants  to spend hours trawling the web for answers on what these cryptic messages mean.

You need first to make an allowance (click on the "make allowance" button of the UI) and then wait until your client makes contracts with 50 hosts (it will take one hour or less). If you need more details about using the UI for renting, check out this article of the Wiki: https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting . The wiki is actually linked on the website, as well as an official guide (shorter than the Wiki one)on the FAQ. More clarity on the process is part of the UI overhaul I mentioned before.

Take in mind "normal" users are not expected to use the client in the endgame of Sia. While final users could use the Sia client, Sia is meant to be an enterprise-level solution. Enterprises have IT departments that don't even touch a UI for almost any task, just command lines.

Sia is also meant to be used by storage providing services (like Dropbox-like companies) as their storage backend. This means final users will not touch directly the Sia network, but instead use the app of each company, and don't even need to buy Siacoins to purchase storage: they'll pay in fiat and the apps will do everything behind the scenes.

Hakkane

Ive noticed that after a few hours  the SIA app remains stuck on syncying at 98%. It did  complete a day ago and then  I  added some  new SIA funds to the wallet. I   noticed it was stuck syncing a few hours later so I quit the app and restarted the machine.  After  the reboot and a few hours later the wallet is  still stuck at 98% syncing,  Is there something I'm missing ?

BTW thanks for this link : https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting .

Good news my SIA wallet now shows the updated balance . It just took a few hours; however the wallet still shows 98% syncing.
Maybe this is the norm and it takes several hours to get past 98%. Ill give it a day or two and see what happens . 
November 21, 2017, 02:15:38 AM
Any new developments regarding SIA and maybe a new Windows wallet? The old one could use an update, maybe more simple?

A UI overhaul is currently being worked on. Most probably it will be ready in the 1.3.1 update (December)

Does one need to close and reopen the SIA app after adding coins  to the wallet ? Or does  the APP update by itself ?

No, the balance will update automatically. If you made a transfer and it is not on your balance yet it could be due to delays on the side of the exchange (if that is the case) or because your client is not yet synchronized with the network. Let us know if you have problems.

You need first to make an allowance (click on the "make allowance" button of the UI) and then wait until your client makes contracts with 50 hosts (it will take one hour or less). If you need more details about using the UI for renting, check out this article of the Wiki: https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting . The wiki is actually linked on the website, as well as an official guide (shorter than the Wiki one)on the FAQ. More clarity on the process is part of the UI overhaul I mentioned before.

Take in mind "normal" users are not expected to use the client in the endgame of Sia. While final users could use the Sia client, Sia is meant to be an enterprise-level solution. Enterprises have IT departments that don't even touch a UI for almost any task, just command lines.

Sia is also meant to be used by storage providing services (like Dropbox-like companies) as their storage backend. This means final users will not touch directly the Sia network, but instead use the app of each company, and don't even need to buy Siacoins to purchase storage: they'll pay in fiat and the apps will do everything behind the scenes.

Hakkane

Ive noticed that after a few hours  the SIA app remains stuck on syncying at 98%. It did  complete a day ago and then  I  added some  new SIA funds to the wallet. I   noticed it was stuck syncing a few hours later so I quit the app and restarted the machine.  After  the reboot and a few hours later the wallet is  still stuck at 98% syncing,  Is there something I'm missing ?

BTW thanks for this link : https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting .
Activity: 56
November 21, 2017, 01:38:23 AM
What is the capacity of this storage?

Check the current capacity (3.1PT)
https://siahub.info/

This can grow as more people will rent out their storage.
November 20, 2017, 10:33:09 PM

Thanks Hakkane .this needs to on the help section on the app, id rather not have to chase around the web for answers if it can easily be added to an app.. Cmon SIA help us out here .

>> why is this not on the app ?

"You need first to make an allowance (click on the "make allowance" button of the UI) and then wait until your client makes contracts with 50 hosts (it will take one hour or less). If you need more details about using the UI for renting, check out this article of the Wiki: https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting "

>>
"Take in mind "normal" users are not expected to use the client in the endgame of Sia. While final users could use the Sia client, Sia is meant to be an enterprise-level solution"
>>

Why limit the market if regular users can benefit from the app ? Im a regular  user who thinks  SIA can be useful. Id like to see if I can archive several VMware images on the SIA network.  I can see users archiving their MP3s collection on the SIA web etc . Looks like it has potential for this use case , but how about a help section  ?
Activity: 163
November 20, 2017, 10:28:19 PM
What is the capacity of this storage?
November 20, 2017, 10:24:44 PM

Thanks Hakkane .this needs to on the help section on the app, id rather not have to chase around the web for answers if it can easily be added to an app.. Cmon SIA help us out here .

>> why is this not on the app ?

"You need first to make an allowance (click on the "make allowance" button of the UI) and then wait until your client makes contracts with 50 hosts (it will take one hour or less). If you need more details about using the UI for renting, check out this article of the Wiki: https://siawiki.tech/renter/using_the_ui_for_renting "
Activity: 422
Merit: 270
November 20, 2017, 09:24:12 PM

November 20, 2017, 08:02:08 PM
November 20, 2017, 07:30:03 PM

Activity: 882
Merit: 252
November 20, 2017, 06:49:42 PM
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1016
November 20, 2017, 12:14:50 PM
Never looked at Sia coin before, just did.

Being the IT engineer working on Storage and backend infrastructure, I know that today we do not have true cloud computing. Amazon, Microsoft, and others are providing "cloud" solution, which really is a hosted environment that allows you to access from internet. Instead of you managing said hardware you are paying someone else to manage, that's it. These environment simply allows you to access said infrastructure via internet which is hosted traditionally on one location/device (users pay more redundancy and availability but still it is not a cloud) and is simply hosted environment, there is not even a guarantee that the data is safe or backed up or can be recovered.

These guys at Sia have truly created cloud storage.

This by no means to say that Sia coin as a crypto will succeed or not, but simply stating that sia did create a true cloud storage.

File once on cloud stays on cloud. It does not disappear and can be accessed from anywhere.

That is why I believe in this project and that it will be successful!
At the moment the price is very low, but it's just a good time for shoping Wink
I'm sure people will sooner or later understand how unique this project is and then everyone who has been patient and hold coins will be rewarded!
Activity: 70
November 20, 2017, 10:36:11 AM

Being the IT engineer working on Storage and backend infrastructure, I know that today we do not have true cloud computing. Amazon, Microsoft, and others are providing "cloud" solution, which really is a hosted environment that allows you to access from internet. Instead of you managing said hardware you are paying someone else to manage, that's it. These environment simply allows you to access said infrastructure via internet which is hosted traditionally on one location/device (users pay more redundancy and availability but still it is not a cloud) and is simply hosted environment, there is not even a guarantee that the data is safe or backed up or can be recovered.

This by no means to say that Sia coin as a crypto will succeed or not, but simply stating that sia did create a true cloud storage.

File once on cloud stays on cloud. It does not disappear and can be accessed from anywhere.

Hopefully the team are able to stay ahead of the competition.
Activity: 181
Merit: 100
November 20, 2017, 09:44:24 AM

Don't really care about "today" I only care about the future Smiley
Activity: 56
November 20, 2017, 07:57:46 AM

Jump to: