Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 273. (Read 1382191 times)

Activity: 422
Merit: 270
May 05, 2017, 12:23:58 PM

all good ...

i appreciate your input - and that of others ...

this thread - and community used to be so helpful and vibrant ... im glad things have not changed on that front ...

will work it out soon enough ... and if not - can mine more ... Smiley ...

slack doesnt like working with my system - fedora 25 x64 - so i dont venture into it ...

much appreciated ...

#crysx

Hey Crysx. I asked Taek about this in Slack and he says there was some problems this week in Slack, so you should be able to make your way in if you keep trying. I guess he prefers to work with the problem directly with you instead of answering in slack and me as a man-in-the-middle :-P
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
May 05, 2017, 10:43:13 AM

this seems true now ...

but in the early days - the seeds were not showing upfront - and the seeds were always lost due to them 'flashing' up without any chance of getting them ...

in the early posts of this thread ( way back ) you will see that i 9 and many others ) posted this issue and taek promptly took that on board and released a newer wallet within weeks ... coins were lost - mining continued and the project become more and more efficient and losing coins due to the 'alpha nature of the project - which was fair enough at that time ...

but i do remember a time when taek released a method of importing wallets ( without the seed - though this is off memory only - so i could be completely wrong here ) into the current wallet to retrieve coins ... either way - if the coins are lost - thats all good and well - but the most recent wallet i have is an old one anyway ... i think this one may have all my coins in it ( after continued mining for weeks at that time when mining was easy - and rewards were good ) ...

so i will give all this a go - and cross my fingers ... as there were a LOT of coins in that wallet ...

tanx for you help ...

#crysx

Oh, I see, I joined this community some months ago, so I didn't know about this "pre-history" of Sia. I am so sorry for you... I would join the Slack of Sia and ask Taek and the rest of the developers about this. They don't check Bitcointalk but they are very active in Slack, maybe he will have some tool or solution for your old wallets

all good ...

i appreciate your input - and that of others ...

this thread - and community used to be so helpful and vibrant ... im glad things have not changed on that front ...

will work it out soon enough ... and if not - can mine more ... Smiley ...

slack doesnt like working with my system - fedora 25 x64 - so i dont venture into it ...

much appreciated ...

#crysx
May 05, 2017, 10:40:52 AM

this seems true now ...

but in the early days - the seeds were not showing upfront - and the seeds were always lost due to them 'flashing' up without any chance of getting them ...

in the early posts of this thread ( way back ) you will see that i 9 and many others ) posted this issue and taek promptly took that on board and released a newer wallet within weeks ... coins were lost - mining continued and the project become more and more efficient and losing coins due to the 'alpha nature of the project - which was fair enough at that time ...

but i do remember a time when taek released a method of importing wallets ( without the seed - though this is off memory only - so i could be completely wrong here ) into the current wallet to retrieve coins ... either way - if the coins are lost - thats all good and well - but the most recent wallet i have is an old one anyway ... i think this one may have all my coins in it ( after continued mining for weeks at that time when mining was easy - and rewards were good ) ...

so i will give all this a go - and cross my fingers ... as there were a LOT of coins in that wallet ...

tanx for you help ...

#crysx

Oh, I see, I joined this community some months ago, so I didn't know about this "pre-history" of Sia. I am so sorry for you... I would join the Slack of Sia and ask Taek and the rest of the developers about this. They don't check Bitcointalk but they are very active in Slack, maybe he will have some tool or solution for your old wallets
Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
May 05, 2017, 08:09:11 AM
Good price now 110 sats now.
But is this pnd? Or real interest from potential investor? No latest news?

Well have you looked around? Everything is going up. Sia is a quality product and their development team is top notch. This is no pnd shitcoin.
Activity: 594
Merit: 253
May 05, 2017, 07:28:46 AM

A lot of Chinese buyers.

Don't forget the cloud is the future. And Sia is just very cheap.

That right, SIA coin is very cheap right now.Last moth it is just 40 - 60 stats and now almost double already and still it continues to grow on an upward trend.It is good to buy and hold this coin as it has more room for growth in the future.

If this is just a pnd I am just fine with it. Because I already sold most of my holdings at 84. This time I will buy more and will try to have higher tp.  Cheesy
Activity: 850
Merit: 504
May 05, 2017, 03:28:41 AM

A lot of Chinese buyers.

That right, SIA coin is very cheap right now.Last moth it is just 40 - 60 stats and now almost double already and still it continues to grow on an upward trend.It is good to buy and hold this coin as it has more room for growth in the future.
Activity: 291
Merit: 100
Enterprise Blockchain Solutions
May 05, 2017, 03:22:06 AM

A lot of Chinese buyers.

Activity: 504
Merit: 251
May 05, 2017, 03:18:29 AM
legendary
May 04, 2017, 11:03:50 PM
tanx ...

the older wallets are all pre-1.2.0 - and the 'new' wallet that has just finished syncing does not have the options / buttons you mentioned ... unless they are in a menu somewhere that i cannot see ...

i only have the seed of ONE of the wallets - thats it ... the rest of the older wallets are sitting in the hard drive waiting to be resurrected Smiley ...

its been along time since i originally mined sia ( i was one of the first ) and since then - the coins have been sitting there in a those wallets ... and the wallets just sitting there in the hdd Smiley ... so id like to resurrect them somehow ...

ill try 'fiddling' with the menu system - but if console is a better way to - i would rather do it that way ... i just need to know the exact commands to do so via console ... this is linux btw - fedora 25 x64 ...

#crysx

If you don't see any button (create wallet or load wallet) in the wallet menu is because a wallet is already loaded to the UI. If you want to load a different wallet just go to the in-app command line and type "siad wallet load". It will ask you for the seed of the current wallet first and then for the seed of the new wallet you want to load.

However, I am sad to say that if you don't preserve the seeds of those old wallets, by no means you will be able to access those funds. Double-check what you have, because clearly you had to take note of them at some point: every time Sia generates a wallet for you it also generates you the seed and prompts you to save that seed somewhere handy. There is no other way to access a wallet: the wallet files you have on your disks are encrypted, as it is natural.

this seems true now ...

tanx for you help ...

#crysx
May 04, 2017, 10:56:29 PM
tanx ...

the older wallets are all pre-1.2.0 - and the 'new' wallet that has just finished syncing does not have the options / buttons you mentioned ... unless they are in a menu somewhere that i cannot see ...

i only have the seed of ONE of the wallets - thats it ... the rest of the older wallets are sitting in the hard drive waiting to be resurrected Smiley ...

its been along time since i originally mined sia ( i was one of the first ) and since then - the coins have been sitting there in a those wallets ... and the wallets just sitting there in the hdd Smiley ... so id like to resurrect them somehow ...

ill try 'fiddling' with the menu system - but if console is a better way to - i would rather do it that way ... i just need to know the exact commands to do so via console ... this is linux btw - fedora 25 x64 ...

#crysx

If you don't see any button (create wallet or load wallet) in the wallet menu is because a wallet is already loaded to the UI. If you want to load a different wallet just go to the in-app command line and type "siad wallet load". It will ask you for the seed of the current wallet first and then for the seed of the new wallet you want to load.

However, I am sad to say that if you don't preserve the seeds of those old wallets, by no means you will be able to access those funds. Double-check what you have, because clearly you had to take note of them at some point: every time Sia generates a wallet for you it also generates you the seed and prompts you to save that seed somewhere handy. There is no other way to access a wallet: the wallet files you have on your disks are encrypted, as it is natural.
legendary
May 04, 2017, 10:30:47 PM
just a quick question ...

can the latest sia gui wallet import older wallet coins? ...

if so - how? ...

the version gui wallet we have is 1.2.1 that is being used ...

tanx ...

#crysx

Yes, absolutely. Once you download the new v1.2.1 version, if you still have the wallet folder on your computer then the software will load it automatically and ask for your seed. If you upgrade from a version prior to 1.2.0 the first time it will take a long time to unlock the wallet (but just the first time).

If you only conserve the seed, but not the wallet folder, on the UI wallet's tab there is a new button "load wallet" close to the "create a new wallet"

If you have the old seed, but you already created a new wallet with a different seed, to return to the old wallet: First unlock the current wallet with the current wallet seed. Then go to the command terminal and type "siac wallet load" and follow the instructions

tanx ...

#crysx
May 04, 2017, 11:37:52 AM

if so - how? ...

tanx ...

#crysx

Yes, absolutely. Once you download the new v1.2.1 version, if you still have the wallet folder on your computer then the software will load it automatically and ask for your seed. If you upgrade from a version prior to 1.2.0 the first time it will take a long time to unlock the wallet (but just the first time).

If you only conserve the seed, but not the wallet folder, on the UI wallet's tab there is a new button "load wallet" close to the "create a new wallet"

If you have the old seed, but you already created a new wallet with a different seed, to return to the old wallet: First unlock the current wallet with the current wallet seed. Then go to the command terminal and type "siac wallet load" and follow the instructions
Activity: 577
Merit: 500
May 04, 2017, 07:50:26 AM
In case you missed it:

Read Minebox April's newsletter:
http://mailchi.mp/e44be252b43f/minebox-april-newsletter?e=55ec310860

ITBusinessEdge opinion: #Nextcloud & @SiaTechHQ proof of cloud as "valuable asset":
http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/infrastructure/growing-diversity-of-cloud-storage-solutions.html

Thanks for posting - nice, positive references to Sia. Tweeted Smiley
legendary
May 04, 2017, 07:45:19 AM

if so - how? ...

tanx ...

#crysx
Activity: 504
Merit: 251
May 04, 2017, 07:29:54 AM
Will the price hold around 75-90 now? Or can it go down more? Want to stack more now.
Any big news coming?
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
May 03, 2017, 07:40:52 PM

Right now, both password and seed are the same thing, but in a future version they plan to allow us to use a password to access the account instead of using the seed every time we open the wallet.

Right, keep closely that seed. With it, you can recover your wallet (and its balance) in a different computer in case yours crashes totally
[/quote]

Thanks for confirming!
May 03, 2017, 07:21:01 PM
Yeah, I agree. I never keep my coins on exchanges and I always look for wallets. I downloaded the wallet and it is currently syncing. The wallet is different to the ones that I am familiar with using. It has given me a seed and password.

How does it work?

Imagine I stored coins within the wallet and my hard drive got ruined, but I still have my seed and password would I be able to access my coins again by downloading the wallet client and using my seed and password? Or am I wrong?

Thanks

Right now, both password and seed are the same thing, but in a future version they plan to allow us to use a password to access the account instead of using the seed every time we open the wallet.

Right, keep closely that seed. With it, you can recover your wallet (and its balance) in a different computer in case yours crashes totally
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
May 03, 2017, 07:16:29 PM
Hi, I'm new here.

Where is the best place to store Sia coin once you buy it? Does it have an offline wallet that I can store the coins in? Thanks.

Of course: the Sia software that you download from their webpage is both a wallet and a host/renting framework. As with many crypto wallets, it generates a seed associated to a wallet, so you can keep that seed in the computer or print it as a paper wallet for cold storage if you wish it.

Never ever keep your coins in an exchange, guys, we have seen too many of them falling in the past, even the big ones  Smiley

Yeah, I agree. I never keep my coins on exchanges and I always look for wallets. I downloaded the wallet and it is currently syncing. The wallet is different to the ones that I am familiar with using. It has given me a seed and password.

How does it work?

Imagine I stored coins within the wallet and my hard drive got ruined, but I still have my seed and password would I be able to access my coins again by downloading the wallet client and using my seed and password? Or am I wrong?

Thanks
May 03, 2017, 04:38:41 PM
Hi, I'm new here.

Where is the best place to store Sia coin once you buy it? Does it have an offline wallet that I can store the coins in? Thanks.

Of course: the Sia software that you download from their webpage is both a wallet and a host/renting framework. As with many crypto wallets, it generates a seed associated to a wallet, so you can keep that seed in the computer or print it as a paper wallet for cold storage if you wish it.

Never ever keep your coins in an exchange, guys, we have seen too many of them falling in the past, even the big ones  Smiley
Jump to: