Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 331. (Read 1382191 times)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
June 20, 2016, 10:46:59 PM
This past weeks have been awesome for Siacoin. It raalied toward x2 of its value. 5 months ago it was a measly 5-10 sats. Now it grew to 100 sats. Awesome!!!
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
June 20, 2016, 10:00:37 PM
Will I be able to spend my siafunds with the GUI of 1.0? And will I be able to import my old wallet.dat or wallet.backup?

I am a participant in the genesis account of siafunds. I hope I haven't lost my siafunds forever. But I am not sure. All I have are old wallet.dat's and wallet.backup files.
can anyone answer this?

I was talking to Taek on Slack about this. He said I have to wait until 1.0 and that he thinks my Siafunds are NOT lost. Let's hope the best Smiley

What is the actual problem here? If you have the wallet.dat, then why is there any threat you may have lost your siafunds?

where are the siafunds stored? I thought they were on the sia blockchain

The problem is that the current client does not support the import of these very old wallet.dats from june 2015. Therefore I am not able to sell my siafunds now, although i wanted to. Let's hope that version 1.0 will support the import of these old wallet.dats.

Ok, you're probably not the only one effected by this, so I'm sure Taek will add an import function for legacy wallets eventually.

Where is the market for siafunds anyway? Is it OTC only?
Activity: 78
June 20, 2016, 09:33:10 PM
The SIA is not mining,Who can help me,I downloaded: Sia-UI-win32-x64 sia-gpu-1.0.5, and can open the wallet, I closed the wallet lock, and then try to open: sia-gpu-miner, but application did not perform. Tip: cannot normally start (0xc 00000 7b), please you help I
Activity: 321
Merit: 252
June 20, 2016, 12:12:18 PM
Will I be able to spend my siafunds with the GUI of 1.0? And will I be able to import my old wallet.dat or wallet.backup?

I am a participant in the genesis account of siafunds. I hope I haven't lost my siafunds forever. But I am not sure. All I have are old wallet.dat's and wallet.backup files.
can anyone answer this?

I was talking to Taek on Slack about this. He said I have to wait until 1.0 and that he thinks my Siafunds are NOT lost. Let's hope the best Smiley

What is the actual problem here? If you have the wallet.dat, then why is there any threat you may have lost your siafunds?

The problem is that the current client does not support the import of these very old wallet.dats from june 2015. Therefore I am not able to sell my siafunds now, although i wanted to. Let's hope that version 1.0 will support the import of these old wallet.dats.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
June 19, 2016, 11:39:37 AM
My sense is that Sia is going to have problems on the supply side. I hope they're starting to think about an early niche market. Who is the group with an unmet storage need to whom they can tailor their early offerings? They're competing against big players in this space and I don't think "everyone needs storage" is going to cut it.

I was speaking with a human geneticist yesterday and they're in crisis mode regarding data storage. They have ways of compressing the 3B base pair sequence in the early stages they like to keep the entire code intact for rapid reanalysis. Seems like Sia's contract system might make sense at least in terms of allowing for medium-term self-terminating contracts. Decentralized storage genetic data may also address some of the privacy concerns in a way that centralized storage cannot.
Activity: 432
Merit: 250
June 19, 2016, 08:52:07 AM
Does anyone know how much can be earned per gigabyte of storage rented out? I'm running some numbers to see if it makes sense to set up a storage server in some rackspace, have room for up to 2 petabytes. We may also be able to lease some of it to local tenants as an add on service to broadband, use the server as fast access storage, with Sia as mirrored backup.

We also have the Bitseed unit available, with up to 3 Terabytes of internal storage, which can make a personal storage unit, but are waiting for the GUI interface to put Sia on it, https://bitseed.org/

Activity: 106
June 18, 2016, 10:10:57 PM

can anyone answer this?

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
June 18, 2016, 07:01:04 PM
Why is there such a long delay for a pool?
Activity: 577
Merit: 500
June 18, 2016, 02:06:38 AM
How does this system differ from STORJ? $DCO is looking for a storage solution for our decentralized collaborative organization.

Here's a useful summary - see also Taek's replies to comments:

http://forum.sia.tech/topic/21/sia-vs-storj-vs-maidsafe
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
June 17, 2016, 08:33:06 PM

How does this system differ from STORJ? $DCO is looking for a storage solution for our decentralized collaborative organization.

June 17, 2016, 08:05:50 PM
I know that the current SC supply (according to coinmarketcap) is ~ 14.94BN coins

But what will be the eventual total supply and over what timescale will that happen?

Apologies if this info is already available somewhere - I've looked but can't find it. Thanks  Smiley

The last time I checked the numbers: ~ 45Billion in 5 years is the main supply and a very small inflation after that, about 1% yearly.

Thanks  Smiley

I've re-done calculations, and it added up to 36 Billion in 2020 and 1.5 Billion every year after that. 45 Billion in 2026, can someone confirm or correct these figures?

Bump Smiley

The definitive answer:

In Sia FAQ - "The number of siacoins created each block is (300,000 - height). The genesis block has a height of 0. After height 270,000, all blocks will have a reward of 30,000 siacoins. The current number of siacoins can be found at explore.siacoin.com"

Right now (March 26th, 2016) the Sia block height is 43,049. So it will need about another 4.3 years((270,000-43,049)/(144365)=4.3years) to hit the 270,000 block height to start the 30,000 coins constant rewards. In about 4.3 years when sia hits the 270,000 block height, there will be about 44.55 billion (((300,000+30,000)/2)270,000=44.55 billion) siacoins available in the market. From there, there will be about 1.57 billion (30,000144365=1.5678 billion) of siacoins coming out from the mining every year constantly. So in 5 years from today, there will be about 45.6 billion of siacoins available. In 10 years from today, there will be about 53.5 billion of siacoins available in the market.

http://forum.sia.tech/topic/161/about-siacoins-calculation-and-supply

Activity: 395
"Live long and prosper"
June 17, 2016, 04:00:26 PM
I heard about first pool for siacoin   Tongue
Actually why anyone not build pool for that coin?
Activity: 531
AMD | Mining | NVIDIA
June 17, 2016, 01:05:54 PM
Hi everyone, who knows Sia mining pool?
No pools for Sia.
Activity: 395
"Live long and prosper"
June 17, 2016, 07:30:26 AM
Hi everyone, who knows Sia mining pool?
Activity: 301
June 17, 2016, 03:22:28 AM

can anyone answer this?

Okay, thanks, must be in the account
June 16, 2016, 11:02:09 AM
I know that the current SC supply (according to coinmarketcap) is ~ 14.94BN coins

But what will be the eventual total supply and over what timescale will that happen?

Apologies if this info is already available somewhere - I've looked but can't find it. Thanks  Smiley

The last time I checked the numbers: ~ 45Billion in 5 years is the main supply and a very small inflation after that, about 1% yearly.

Thanks  Smiley

I've re-done calculations, and it added up to 36 Billion in 2020 and 1.5 Billion every year after that. 45 Billion in 2026, can someone confirm or correct these figures?

Bump Smiley
Activity: 321
Merit: 252
June 16, 2016, 09:03:50 AM

can anyone answer this?

Activity: 301
June 16, 2016, 07:14:53 AM

can anyone answer this?
Activity: 416
June 16, 2016, 06:23:53 AM
Is SIA mining only available for LINUX machines right now or there is a Windows variant.
Activity: 781
Merit: 501
June 15, 2016, 10:35:44 PM
hi all,

im new to SIA, just heading back from STORJ, im looking for guidence to setup HDD farm and miner.
I cannt find any help on open page.

Tks in adv
Jump to: