Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 403. (Read 1382189 times)

Activity: 531
Merit: 500
AMD | Mining | NVIDIA
September 08, 2015, 03:42:05 AM
Great work with great coin Taek.
I have one question:
Can i mining now with 0.3.3.3 Sia version?
I cant import my wallet in 0.4.1
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
September 08, 2015, 01:49:19 AM
thats great taek ...

you are very reliable ... thats why we stay with project - apart from it being a great project ...

great work mate ... you still have my support ...

#crysx
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
September 08, 2015, 01:13:11 AM
I wonder if it could be a good idea to show a meter on the landing page of the gui client to show the progress of the downloading.

A download queue is planned. (And sort of exists already in 'siac'). Won't be immediate though we've got other things that are high priorities.

Hi I'm very excited about the new release! I downloaded it and when I first tried to open it I got the message:

siad errored: Error: spawn ./siad ENOENT

Does anyone have any suggestions? I didn't get a passphrase and am using a mac.  I'm worried about losing coins so I don't want to mess around with it myself.  All my coins are still in the 0.3.3 wallet.  Thanks!

It looks like we screwed up the mac build. I'm surprised you're the first person to have that problem, I guess most everyone else has been running siad in the background. Fix sometime in the next 72 hours.

No way to change data directory for UI wallet?

No, right now the data is just going to be in whatever folder you run the UI from. The UI is portable though, so you can put it on whatever drive or logical volume you desire.

taek ...

a screen shot of an open wallet? ..

there is nothing more - it looks like a normal open wallet ...

completely updated and synced ...

i can access all the features of the wallet - but NO password was given - NO access to the 'new' passwords were given after siad was stopeed and the wallet.json file deleted ...

i can see a great deal of work has been put in to the wallet also - fantastic ... but im having a few issues i dont know how toresolve ...

is sia still 'portable' - ie everything contained in the same folder? ...

#crysx

Sia is still portable just like before - all files are contained in the same folder. We're hoping to have a password fix soon. Also, I'll be filling out the FAQ to cover the wallet initialization process. Sorry that you are having troubles.

Even though I've used about a dozen command line wallets like the cryptonotes, etc...
I've been completely unable to get a wallet working with 4.0 or 4.1 or the GUI on Win7.

- siac "encrypts" your file with a 29 word phrase, then won't accept anything in "Wallet password:"
- so it's basically impossible to unlock your wallet
- the GUI "encrypts" your wallet with a 15 word phrase, but there is no way to unlock it
- there are no wallet.dat files anywhere, just a wallet dir with 3 files

Dude, we are not storing nuclear launch codes here... it's a freaking alpha wallet with maybe $10 in it...
If I want my wallet open and unencrypted how is that your business.

So you are going to compete with FREE CLOUD STORAGE when people CANNOT TRUST THEIR WALLETS  Huh

Sorry you are having trouble. The password creation process had some buggy css, some people were unable to view their wallets.

Though the GUI says '15' words, it really means '29'. You unlock the wallet using the 29 word passphrase that is presented to you after wallet initialization. In the updated GUI, we've adjusted the dialog so the message is more informative.

Wallet is not a 'wallet.dat' file, it's a 'wallet.json' file. I know that's different from most projects, but there were some good reasons to use json instead of a different encoding. Since it was in json, naming the file 'wallet.json' made sense.

People asked for encryption on their wallets, it was one of the most heavily requested features. You might only be using it for $10, but a lot of people are planning to back up more data than that. Sia, long term, aims to be an enterprise product. Having top-grade security is important, and a cryptographically secure passphrase is a good place to start. You are not supposed to memorize the passphrase, nor are you really ever supposed to type it in manually. Words are used to make it easier to read and copy down. If we just used a bunch of hex characters, or some encoding like base58, the error rate on copying to paper might be a lot higher.

=======================

For people having trouble, we are continually updating this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zNpAct53E_5p4KO3_-ZOrg5N9HQw8ACTQ7zAyksSIf8/edit
Activity: 714
September 08, 2015, 12:47:10 AM
Any predictions with the price of sia in the near future? Bought in way too high @22 ;_;

I think we might see some 30+ satoshi range for the next couple of weeks or more. Just try to hold on Smiley

Well, you were spot on with that prediction  Shocked glad i held Wink
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000
September 08, 2015, 12:34:30 AM

Even though I've used about a dozen command line wallets like the cryptonotes, etc...
I've been completely unable to get a wallet working with 4.0 or 4.1 or the GUI on Win7.

- siac "encrypts" your file with a 29 word phrase, then won't accept anything in "Wallet password:"
- the GUI "encrypts" your wallet with a 15 word phrase, but there is no way to unlock it

Dude, we are not storing nuclear launch codes here... it's a freaking alpha wallet with maybe $10 in it...

So you are going to compete with FREE CLOUD STORAGE when people CANNOT TRUST THEIR WALLETS  Huh

I think I clicked "New Wallet" and that presented the 15 word phrase. I was then able to import my 0.3.3 wallet through the GUI and when prompted for the password I entered the same 15 word phrase. I'm going to install it on another machine to double check the process works on that machine as well. It's still syncing the blockchain at the moment.
That's interesting because I tried to click on new wallet" and nothing happened. I cant say for sure if I had waited for the wallet to sync up all the way though. So I am updating blocks now and will try to click on new wallet again. Will let ya know if that works for me.  Wink

EDIT: Still no luck. Nothing happens when I click on "New Wallet" did you maybe click on "unencrypted" in the wallet section... ok, but your password is working then? hmm  Huh

legendary
September 08, 2015, 12:21:47 AM

LOL, relax bo, almost everyone in SIA beta has requested encryption for their wallets. So now we have it. If you had used .0.3.3.3 you would not have it.

Its portable also. So if you had it on a flash drive and you lose or it gets stolen... anyone could open you wallet and access you stored files! It not so much about the net worth of the coins in your wallet. Most of us store them on the exchange in part or in another wallet just for banking the coins. So... I am very pleased with this upgrade as are most.  Wink

EDIT: I would like to know where there is free storage as well, and I don't mean a free Gb or 2 or even 10GB. Nothing is totally free beyond a certain point.  Shocked

And one more thing lol, yes someone could store their nuclear launch codes in SIA if they so desired to  Grin all the more reason for encryption....
legendary
Activity: 938
September 08, 2015, 12:18:06 AM
We'll Im very excited about the wallet update and price. Sounds like there are some issues with the new wallet but still these things take time especially with an alpha release. All in all, I think once we get the community involved and some pressure is taken off the devs and they can focus on the storage features then I think future wallet releases will be a lot more functional. Still watching closely and spreading the word!  Cheesy

GUI encrypted mine with 29 words. Not sure where people are getting the 15 word thing? Unlocks just fine. No issues whatsoever. But yeah, both with Alpha and Beta there WILL be bugs. Back things up and send test amounts and everyone should be okay.
Activity: 560
Merit: 300
Unprofessional shitcoin trader since 2011
September 08, 2015, 12:09:53 AM
Well Im very excited about the wallet update and price. Sounds like there are some issues with the new wallet but still these things take time especially with an alpha release. All in all, I think once we get the community involved and some pressure is taken off the devs and they can focus on the storage features then I think future wallet releases will be a lot more functional. Still watching closely and spreading the word!  Cheesy
Activity: 394
Merit: 250
Crypto enthusiast
September 08, 2015, 12:03:34 AM

I think I clicked "New Wallet" and that presented the 15 word phrase. I was then able to import my 0.3.3 wallet through the GUI and when prompted for the password I entered the same 15 word phrase. I'm going to install it on another machine to double check the process works on that machine as well. It's still syncing the blockchain at the moment.

edit: i went to the Wallet menu (left hand side menu) and then clicked the Lock (or was it Unlock, i cant remember Smiley ) button that appears in the top right hand side and was then presented with the 15 word passphrase. It was actually very difficult to view this information due to the resolution on my screen on the second pc i have. I had to do a copy all and then paste it into a text file and delete all the excess info bar the 15 word passphrase. I then could not expose the link in the pop up that you're supposed to click to acknowledge you recorded it. restarting the wallet and then clicking the unlock button would prompt for a password and entering the passphrase unlocks the wallet. I also copied over the consensus/set.db from my other system to save time syncing on the new pc.
legendary
Activity: 1588
September 07, 2015, 11:45:03 PM

So you are going to compete with FREE CLOUD STORAGE when people CANNOT TRUST THEIR WALLETS  Huh

legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
September 07, 2015, 11:44:05 PM

taek ...

mine did exactly the same thing ... no password and even when the wallet.json file was deleted and the wallet reopened - no password shown ...

im hd - so screen res is not the issue ...

#crysx

Ok. Can you provide screenshots of the process? It will help us fix it.

Just launched my Sia-Ui for the first time, opened right up and updating blocks sitting at 1662... But along the way I have not see a wallet password of any sort. yet,,,, no scroll bar needed either. W7 64

Ok. Seems like a lot of people are having this problem. We'll fix it asap.

y0 T-man exciting stuffs, but it did not give me any password either (not even after when I deleted wallet) and guess what... The mining is still broken for v4 as I reported earlier on slack

But hey progress is progress !!! Take it easy don't burn out  Wink You have done wonders here

More info about the mining? Mining is working fine for me  Tongue

You have to download the entire blockchain before you can unlock the wallet, and you have to unlock the wallet before you can mine.

If you've done all that, I would like to know which miner you are using, what OS, how many instances of 'siad' you are running on your network, how many gpus you have, and what errors you are getting. Basically as much information as seems relevant.

taek ...

a screen shot of an open wallet? ..

there is nothing more - it looks like a normal open wallet ...

completely updated and synced ...

i can access all the features of the wallet - but NO password was given - NO access to the 'new' passwords were given after siad was stopeed and the wallet.json file deleted ...

i can see a great deal of work has been put in to the wallet also - fantastic ... but im having a few issues i dont know how toresolve ...

is sia still 'portable' - ie everything contained in the same folder? ...

#crysx
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
September 07, 2015, 11:10:25 PM
Hi I'm very excited about the new release! I downloaded it and when I first tried to open it I got the message:

siad errored: Error: spawn ./siad ENOENT

Does anyone have any suggestions? I didn't get a passphrase and am using a mac.  I'm worried about losing coins so I don't want to mess around with it myself.  All my coins are still in the 0.3.3 wallet.  Thanks!
legendary
September 07, 2015, 10:00:27 PM
Any predictions with the price of sia in the near future? Bought in way too high @22 ;_;

I think we might see some 30+ satoshi range for the next couple of weeks or more. Just try to hold on Smiley
I'm sure he will at least see his investment at 22 come back  Grin

Right now 27 sat has already been reached at Polo and the volume is increasing too, so reaching 30 sat will be in a few days or hours away! Smiley
Wow nice, I looked earlier today and it was somewhere around 17. So I didn't want to be overly optimistic yet lol... I think in a month or 2 it will show to be a sound investment for many. Lets get SIA 0.4.1 rolling, definitely help stabilize price.
legendary
Activity: 1764
September 07, 2015, 09:27:15 PM

Right now 27 sat has already been reached at Polo and the volume is increasing too, so reaching 30 sat will be in a few days or hours away! Smiley
legendary
September 07, 2015, 09:21:16 PM

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
September 07, 2015, 08:29:19 PM
No way to change data directory for UI wallet?
legendary
Activity: 1764
September 07, 2015, 07:50:45 PM

Activity: 714
September 07, 2015, 07:39:22 PM
Activity: 763
September 07, 2015, 07:38:00 PM
Yeah we forgot to bump the version numbers. We'll fix it tomorrow (we're taking it easy today - long week).

I wonder if it could be a good idea to show a meter on the landing page of the gui client to show the progress of the downloading.
Activity: 763
September 07, 2015, 07:26:20 PM
new noob need help on sia is there a step by step tutorials so that i can try in windows 8.1 64bit? bought sia few days ago at polo.
i download the GUI and Client but no luck i don't know the command.
any help appreciated. thank you.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12351420
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12353468

Basically if you use the GUI v0.4.1, you just need to double click the Sia.exe and wait for the downloading of the full blockchain before you open or create your wallet. The downloading may take several hours. Check the explorer for the current block height - https://explore.siacoin.com.
Jump to: