Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 410. (Read 1382189 times)

Activity: 394
Merit: 250
Crypto enthusiast
September 01, 2015, 10:48:33 PM
trying out mining and am using the windows miner. it reports it has mined 1 block so far. I know there's a 144 confirmation requirement for new coinbase transactions but i'm pretty sure it has been over a day now. is there anyway to check on the blockchain for the two addresses I have, according to my 0.3.3 gui, to see if the coins have been in fact credited to one of these accounts albeit in an unconfirmed state? the current blockexplorer does seem to support queries by addresses and the windows miner output is very sparse so i dont even know what block height it successfully mined.
Activity: 435
September 01, 2015, 09:56:29 PM
Is it possible to chose here sia stores the files? As I have many HDDs, I do not want them on C:/.

He means "choose", "where", and yes, get ready for that, as many Burstcoin people with a bunch of HDDs are looking for alternatives, and one drive will not be a valid alternative.

No support for choosing multiple hdds yet. The folder that is used is whatever folder you run 'said' from. Until we add support for picking custom folders, you can create a logical volume that combines all of your physical drives into a single logical drive.

It's hard to estimate when various features will be ready. We're essentially doing things in order of necessity.  I think though that over the next 3 months we will be able to add most everything that people are requesting.

That makes sense.
And 3 months does sound like a sensible and fair estimate. Smiley
September 01, 2015, 09:53:14 PM
Do you mean "et cetera" and "etc." in your sig, silly little boy, or do you really believe that you educate people by that nonsense...?

I have a daughter who is obviously older and whose QI is higher than yours, so your guess is, again, wrong. As usual.

Sorry for this OT comment but M3ta keeps harassing people who does not have English as their native language. For some reason I am one of the one he keeps chasing. If he starts destroying this thread by finding new victims here, as he has done in the the BURST thread, just put him on ignore. If you check his posting history, you will not miss much: about 90% concerns the problem that non-natives are allowed to be part of this forum.

You think too highly of yourself. I don't "chase" anyone. I just indicate to people they should finish elementary school.
By the way, English is not my native language. Which by itself is an indicator of how lame that excuse is.
And when someone corrects me, I'm thankful, and I learn. I don't emorage like you just did.

IF, by any chance, you were mentioned several times, that just means you are not evolving.
Also, DIAF. Smiley
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
September 01, 2015, 09:19:01 PM
Is it possible to chose here sia stores the files? As I have many HDDs, I do not want them on C:/.

He means "choose", "where", and yes, get ready for that, as many Burstcoin people with a bunch of HDDs are looking for alternatives, and one drive will not be a valid alternative.

Do you mean "et cetera" and "etc." in your sig, silly little boy, or do you really believe that you educate people by that nonsense...?

Sorry for this OT comment but M3ta keeps harassing people who does not have English as their native language. For some reason I am one of the one he keeps chasing. If he starts destroying this thread by finding new victims here, as he has done in the the BURST thread, just put him on ignore. If you check his posting history, you will not miss much: about 90% concerns the problem that non-natives are allowed to be part of this forum.
September 01, 2015, 09:16:25 PM

You can combine hard drives into one drive via software in example windows disk management and run Sia from there.

Yes create another disk/volume/partition and put the Sia folder there...
Sia will use storage from the volume that it is being run from...
So if you run it from Drive X then any storage you announce will be utilised from that drive

So the easiest would be to have a big NAS (where you also can use raid to protect content)?

Would it be possible to incorporate a feature where you point SIA to where you want it to save content..? I know you can combine drives, but it requires some technical knowledge in addition to that you risk lose the whole space if you use raid 1. The inability to not chose in fact makes SIA much less attractive to me (but still decent for my NAS).

Activity: 543
Merit: 501
September 01, 2015, 04:29:01 PM
"As a result, compatibility with the old wallet.dat files has been broken. To transfer funds from v0.3.3.3 to v0.4.0, you must send them from the v0.3.3.3 client to a v0.4.0 address. Note that you can run both clients at once (from different folders)"
For this I need my wallet to sync of course.  Embarrassed

People tried doing that, and a few of them ended up doing the steps out of order and losing coins. 0.4.1 (probably less than a week out) (will have a GUI as well) will have support in 'siac' (and maybe the GUI) to load old wallets in a safe way.

After 0.4.1 is released, there should be no need to open a 0.3.3.x wallet ever again.

The old wallets were just simply too hard to use correctly, and they've eaten too many coins. We've built tools to make this unnecessary, you will be able to get your old coins by using 0.4.1 'siac'. There will be instructions to help you do this. Really sorry about all of that.

Same problem here, using 0.3.3-beta.2 b383.

Getting:
0 KS Peers: 0 Block Height: 1

Can you put your gateway.log on pastebin? It will help us make sure that we've solved the problem in 0.4.1

It can be found in app/resources/Sia/gateway/gateway.log
Activity: 301
September 01, 2015, 01:34:03 PM
I can not get the wallet to sync, both CLI or GUI versions. I run the cmd prompt to get siad.exe to run and siac.exe, or I use the GUI instead of siac.exe. Am I doing something wrong? When I use the GUI version it just stays on block 1 with no connection, I've let it stay on for 3 hours with nothing going on. Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

I bought some SC to play around with and thought I'd try out the wallet but I'm having the same problem. I'm using the GUI version. Hoping someone can help out.

Also, is there 0.4 windows compiled binary available as I can't find it on your main site.

Same problem here, using 0.3.3-beta.2 b383.

Getting:
0 KS Peers: 0 Block Height: 1

edit: /

second edit: fixed by adding gateways with cmd  Smiley
September 01, 2015, 07:22:19 AM
You really are buying stock in a start up.

From a legal standpoint, not at all. Owning Siacoins doesn't give you any legal or political control over the parent company of Sia.

But, we are a startup and if the startup does well it's because Sia will be doing well. The risks are similar - high chance of complete failure, low chance of moderate returns, low chance of very, very good returns. But as Sia evolves, it's decreasingly likely that outright failure is a risk. Which means we are a good investment choice.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000
September 01, 2015, 12:43:40 AM
I think a lot of what's been sold is miners recovering cost while the getting was good, as they were the only ones that really held the SIA coins for the most part, with a few exceptions of course, or people with no real interest in SIA other than to sell their coins they bought before Poloniex.

So we hung around 20-22 and we're hanging 13-14 now. not a bad leveling out. A new version release and a few good speculators checking out SIA, I see buy orders going back up.  Smiley But its not all about the coin, but the price will for sure be measured by use and demand for storage, as someone mentioned earlier.

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
August 31, 2015, 11:46:30 PM
all coins value is based on future potential....most of it unlikely to be realised.  Sia actually makes that potential more likely and sooner than 95% of alt coins. I like coins with an inbuilt economy like this and Getgems. You really are buying stock in a start up.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
August 31, 2015, 11:18:50 PM
And why did the price drop like a rock?

More people mining than buying storage. That's likely to be the case for quite a while, but when it flips (more storage users than miners) so will the price.

Exactly this. Miners mine and dump its what they do. Like the geico commercials. Anyway, just like every coin all the trading is speculation.

But unlike all the other coins Siacoin if successful will have an absolute value in being worth storage space. Its really not as important the

value per coin. The hosters will set the price. If its not cheaper or competitive with traditional cloud storagers then nobody will use it which

is why nature will set the price of Sia. If you ask me the fact that you can use a working decentralized storage system as opposed to a centralized

should cost more.
Activity: 544
August 31, 2015, 07:06:14 PM
And why did the price drop like a rock?

More people mining than buying storage. That's likely to be the case for quite a while, but when it flips (more storage users than miners) so will the price.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002
August 31, 2015, 05:21:53 PM
So how many coins are there?  And why did the price drop like a rock?
Activity: 952
Merit: 253
August 31, 2015, 04:31:41 PM

You can combine hard drives into one drive via software in example windows disk management and run Sia from there.

Yes create another disk/volume/partition and put the Sia folder there...
Sia will use storage from the volume that it is being run from...
So if you run it from Drive X then any storage you announce will be utilised from that drive
Activity: 597
Merit: 504
August 31, 2015, 02:54:13 PM

August 31, 2015, 09:24:42 AM

No support for choosing multiple hdds yet. The folder that is used is whatever folder you run 'said' from. Until we add support for picking custom folders, you can create a logical volume that combines all of your physical drives into a single logical drive.

It's hard to estimate when various features will be ready. We're essentially doing things in order of necessity.  I think though that over the next 3 months we will be able to add most everything that people are requesting.
August 31, 2015, 08:56:40 AM

Activity: 770
August 31, 2015, 08:48:25 AM
Need some kind of tutorial... Peers: 0, Height: 1, stuck at overview tab  Huh Huh Huh

Peers 0 means you are stuck. Try running `./siac gateway add [peer]` with the following list of peers:

"23.239.14.98:9981",
"87.98.216.46:9981",
"45.79.132.35:9981",
"68.55.10.144:9981",
"109.206.33.225:9981",
"79.51.183.132:9981"

that should get you started
can't find siac using Windows 64bit build ver 0.3.3.3 and find some file named .siac.exe.new changed it to siac.exe run as you said and I got an error " daemon not online " ?

you need the daemon to be running (daemon runs when the UI is open) in order to use 'siac'. A lot of times, it's good enough to just restart the UI and then you'll start getting peers.

-----

Anybody who knows how to code and would like to contribute to the Sia project, I've made the first 'beginner friendly' issue that could help you get started with development. Long term, I think that Sia's success is going to depend on having a large community of active developers, much like Bitcoin does.

This issue should be relatively beginner friendly: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/issues/752
It is syncing right now! Thanks! Hate to bother you but " Error calling /host/announce : host address not reachable; ensure you have forwarded port 9982 ", used to the old style coin wallet LOL not this "new" thing
August 31, 2015, 08:06:18 AM
August 31, 2015, 06:57:43 AM
Need some kind of tutorial... Peers: 0, Height: 1, stuck at overview tab  Huh Huh Huh

Peers 0 means you are stuck. Try running `./siac gateway add [peer]` with the following list of peers:

"23.239.14.98:9981",
"87.98.216.46:9981",
"45.79.132.35:9981",
"68.55.10.144:9981",
"109.206.33.225:9981",
"79.51.183.132:9981"

that should get you started
can't find siac using Windows 64bit build ver 0.3.3.3 and find some file named .siac.exe.new changed it to siac.exe run as you said and I got an error " daemon not online " ?

you need the daemon to be running (daemon runs when the UI is open) in order to use 'siac'. A lot of times, it's good enough to just restart the UI and then you'll start getting peers.

-----

Anybody who knows how to code and would like to contribute to the Sia project, I've made the first 'beginner friendly' issue that could help you get started with development. Long term, I think that Sia's success is going to depend on having a large community of active developers, much like Bitcoin does.

This issue should be relatively beginner friendly: https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia/issues/752
Jump to: