Author

Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage - page 436. (Read 1382189 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
June 22, 2015, 02:20:11 AM
Hi,
after i updated, my client looks like this, and nothing happens if i click elsewhere. if i start the 0.3.3.1 everything is fine. firewall is open. i also tried to delete wallet folder, a now wallet file is created, but ui is still not usable. i waited 10 minutes, nothing changed. i also tried win32 bit 0.3.3.2, the same behavior.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zu7dsz77yp4xvcb/sia.png?dl=0

Where i can find a errorlog?
Is there also a config file, where i can set the wallet dirs and storage path?

same here - Taek said a fix is on the way
Activity: 619
Merit: 500
June 22, 2015, 01:45:43 AM
Hi,
after i updated, my client looks like this, and nothing happens if i click elsewhere. if i start the 0.3.3.1 everything is fine. firewall is open. i also tried to delete wallet folder, a now wallet file is created, but ui is still not usable. i waited 10 minutes, nothing changed. i also tried win32 bit 0.3.3.2, the same behavior.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zu7dsz77yp4xvcb/sia.png?dl=0

Where i can find a errorlog?
Is there also a config file, where i can set the wallet dirs and storage path?
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
June 22, 2015, 01:21:35 AM
Do we have to update immediately, or we have target block to do it before?

Update immediately.
Yes now that I have seen that warning  Grin
Activity: 543
Merit: 501
June 22, 2015, 01:19:15 AM

Update immediately.
June 22, 2015, 01:18:52 AM
Unfortunately:

A critical security vulnerability has been discovered.

This is a vulnerability that has existed in all versions prior to the current version. Even if you downloaded 0.3.3.2, you should download it again. The original download for 0.3.3.2 was still affected by the security vulnerability.

For obvious reasons, we will not be disclosing the nature of the vulnerability for the next few weeks, we wish to give everyone a chance to upgrade before opening the doors to exploitation. We will say however that it is not related to the blockchain code, it is related to the frontend code.
June 22, 2015, 01:17:58 AM
I don't think so? no mention of target block. More good enhanced features in new version. But think 3.3.1 will still do all this will. But would do it soon Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
quarkchain.io
June 22, 2015, 01:13:54 AM
June 22, 2015, 12:22:30 AM
Now I am having a problem sending coins back and forth to my wallets. 2 wallets are giving me -" Error calling /wallet/send "malformed amount" when I hit send? I have tried both old and new addresses, and get that error message. So basically cannot send any coins from 2 test SIA 3.3.2 wallets.

EDIT: Just did create new address and still get that error message? any ideas? May try to go back to 3.3.1 and see if I can get to my coins.  Huh

Sorry, that was a foolish oversight on my part. The binaries have been patched to fix this issue.
(for those who are curious, it was because the UI was sending the amount in scientific notation, like 1e27. This used to be supported by siad, but not anymore. Floating point is dangerous when you're dealing with money!)
Nemo, that patch took care of the send issue! Smiley

Thanks for the quick action!

All good now 3.3.2
June 22, 2015, 12:16:04 AM
It seems there are three files after I copied the wallet.dat in the wallet folder with the 3.2 UI client - outputs.backup, backup.wallet, and wallet.dat. In previous version, there is no outputs.backup. After I copied my wallet.dat in the wallet folder, I could not get the old address and balance. The client showed a new address and 0 balance. Should I delet the outputs.backup?

There is a 'backup.wallet'? You don't need to delete the outputs.backup.

I'm guessing a newly generated wallet got placed in your home folder. Try replacing $HOME/.config/Sia/wallet/wallet.dat

Find the default home directory for your OS here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_directory
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
June 22, 2015, 12:01:20 AM
Now I am having a problem sending coins back and forth to my wallets. 2 wallets are giving me -" Error calling /wallet/send "malformed amount" when I hit send? I have tried both old and new addresses, and get that error message. So basically cannot send any coins from 2 test SIA 3.3.2 wallets.

EDIT: Just did create new address and still get that error message? any ideas? May try to go back to 3.3.1 and see if I can get to my coins.  Huh

Sorry, that was a foolish oversight on my part. The binaries have been patched to fix this issue.
(for those who are curious, it was because the UI was sending the amount in scientific notation, like 1e27. This used to be supported by siad, but not anymore. Floating point is dangerous when you're dealing with money!)
June 21, 2015, 10:59:31 PM

June 21, 2015, 10:37:33 PM
It seems there are three files after I copied the wallet.dat in the wallet folder with the 3.2 UI client - outputs.backup, backup.wallet, and wallet.dat. In previous version, there is no outputs.backup. After I copied my wallet.dat in the wallet folder, I could not get the old address and balance. The client showed a new address and 0 balance. Should I delet the outputs.backup?
Yes I saw the new files in the wallet. What I did was to take the entire wallet folder ( not just the wallet.dat) and copy that into the new SIA folder. Just rename you wallet that's in there now wallet1 and drop in your backed up (wallet) folder.....

How did you upgrade?
Activity: 763
Merit: 500
June 21, 2015, 10:27:10 PM
June 21, 2015, 08:17:01 PM
0.3.3.2 has been released

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI/releases/tag/v0.3.3.2-beta

Siafund spending is now supported in siac! http://siacoin.com/siafunds-alpha.html

The wallet is now backed up in your home folder as well as in the application folder. This upgrade, you will still need to copy over the wallet.dat, but in the future it will be automatically loaded from your home folder.

If you are a renter or host, you will also need to copy those over as well (and will need to continue to do so in future upgrades - hopefully not for too long though).

Thanks to all of our siafund holders for hanging tight.
Hey Taek, nice! I just saw this post and will check it out within the hour  Wink or sooner lol
June 21, 2015, 08:12:57 PM
0.3.3.2 has been released

https://github.com/NebulousLabs/Sia-UI/releases/tag/v0.3.3.2-beta

Siafund spending is now supported in siac! http://siacoin.com/siafunds-alpha.html

The wallet is now backed up in your home folder as well as in the application folder. This upgrade, you will still need to copy over the wallet.dat, but in the future it will be automatically loaded from your home folder.

If you are a renter or host, you will also need to copy those over as well (and will need to continue to do so in future upgrades - hopefully not for too long though).

Thanks to all of our siafund holders for hanging tight.
June 21, 2015, 03:26:57 PM
May as well forget mining right now, unless you have a mac and or Nvidia etc. even then its not a guarantee you hit a block.

A decent GPU mining rig running 7 days at 500 watts will cost about on average about $10.00 a week in electric, and maybe find 1 block? if your lucky....

You can simply buy 100,000 SIA coins for .03 (from guys like me or others) which is $7.40 cents. ya that's a little over 1/3 of a block find, but you wont have the overhead in finding a block of $10.00 either. And then all that heat being given off keeping you A/C running longer too if in the summer heat lol, like me  Smiley

ok, just more food for thought" I mean mining isn't that big of a deal in terms of acquiring some SIA coin. What's $7.40 cents? A pack of smokes in New York, a 6 pack of beer?  Grin

Of course I know how that thrill feels when ya do hit a block on your own, but at what cost now?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
June 21, 2015, 03:06:02 PM
Selling 20M Siacoins. Contact me with your offer for 1 million ( = 1000KS )
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
quarkchain.io
June 21, 2015, 12:30:51 PM
Several ppl could rape the hash someway, but the mining software is open-sourced and everyone have access to it. It seems much fair to me...
June 21, 2015, 12:23:05 PM
Hey guys. It is with regret that I say that we aren't going to be doing anymore miner releases or patches in the near future, and we are dropping support for miner binaries.

We've decided on this because we've been spending too much time trying to get the miners to compile, and too much time dealing with bugs and dependencies we don't understand. Rather than try to get into the world of cross-compiling opencl, we're going to be spending our time over the next few weeks working on what really counts - decentralized storage.

The code for the miners is still open source, and it works well on Linux. Furthermore, linux is a free OS and runs on most architectures. We're sorry that mining isn't highly accessible to everyone, but it's something that is currently out of reach for the Sia core team. I do believe that others however are interested in working on Sia miners. We are willing to help anyone who wishes to release their own open source miners and mining pools, we're just not going to be making them ourselves during the forseeable future.

Sorry for the disappointing news. On the other hand, going forward we're going to be focusing a lot more on the storage components of Sia. We're excited for what's next, and hope you like what we're working on.

Yes, your team can get more coins.

we've got about 0.3% of the hashpower on the network. Together, I think we've found 1 block in the past 5 days. 'Our team' does not benefit by hurting the open source mining environment. We've simply recognized that it's beyond our knowledgebase to do mining well and that the amount of time we've put into mining has significantly detracted from other important things... like storage.

Taek, will we eventually be able to see and have a transaction ID# for SIA from within the wallet? this could be very useful in the distribution of coins.

Yes you will. Not entirely sure on the eta, but it's completely possible.
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
June 21, 2015, 12:12:27 PM
Hey guys. It is with regret that I say that we aren't going to be doing anymore miner releases or patches in the near future, and we are dropping support for miner binaries.

We've decided on this because we've been spending too much time trying to get the miners to compile, and too much time dealing with bugs and dependencies we don't understand. Rather than try to get into the world of cross-compiling opencl, we're going to be spending our time over the next few weeks working on what really counts - decentralized storage.

The code for the miners is still open source, and it works well on Linux. Furthermore, linux is a free OS and runs on most architectures. We're sorry that mining isn't highly accessible to everyone, but it's something that is currently out of reach for the Sia core team. I do believe that others however are interested in working on Sia miners. We are willing to help anyone who wishes to release their own open source miners and mining pools, we're just not going to be making them ourselves during the forseeable future.

Sorry for the disappointing news. On the other hand, going forward we're going to be focusing a lot more on the storage components of Sia. We're excited for what's next, and hope you like what we're working on.

Yes, your team can get more coins.
Jump to: