Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming) - page 107. (Read 790391 times)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0
Satoshi - talk about recluse  Wink

Georgem lives on top of the Matterhorn and only has dial up access when there are no clouds (satellite service). This only happens twice a year.

He'll get the Service Nodes working.

Eventually  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Hello Good Citizens and Gentleidiots,

It is I the SpreadCoin prophet.  I have come to gauge the community's feelings on Georgem showing us that there has been coding done.  I and many others would be willing to donate to this project if there was any indication that the money was being used in a productive manner.  Below is a link to a straw poll so that we might show Georgem how we feel about this issue.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11132210

Thank you for time, peasants

Satoshi - talk about recluse  Wink

You don't need to be a wolf of wall Street social animal to create a $100m project out of tapping away at a keyboard.
Activity: 646
Merit: 501
Ni dieu ni maître
Ah, I see.

I think the bit you are missing is this. Geoegem is a software engineer. But that doesn't make you a crypto developer. We know this from Evan. We had fork after fork, after fork during the first 6 - 9 months of Darkcoin.  That was Evan learning the ropes.

That's what Georgem has been doing. Now he is a Bitcoin dev after all this time of learning about the code base.  It does take about 12-18 months for someone with software skills to get up to speed.  Implementing BIPs and updating to the latest bitcoin core is proof that he is a proper crypto dev.

His approach is different to other devs, but that's how the roadmap will become reality.
That's not entirely relevant.. True, Evan definitely had to learn the ropes. But the big difference is that Evan showed progression because there were visible commits and he made visible mistakes, people (the community) talked about these and knew exactly where the project stood and was heading. Even at uncertain times with fork after fork everyone knew development was still going strong, which creates trust to a certain degree.

Now, back to SPR. In 18 months time zero code has been added to the SPR GitHub and a few fancy mock-ups have been shown to the public. Also, which still is a riddle to many of us, Georgem doesn't want any external help. Why doesn't he want any help? Because people might then find out there's 0 coding been done? Where and in what has all the work, money and time been spent on?

Georgem is a great guy, so is everyone in this community. But I hope you understand why I think this starts to feel like empty promise after empty promise. I want to be proven wrong, I really do. Even a simple video showing a working SPR wallet with all the mentioned features will make a lot of investors happy.

I think these are all valid concerns.
legendary
Ah, I see.

I think the bit you are missing is this. Geoegem is a software engineer. But that doesn't make you a crypto developer. We know this from Evan. We had fork after fork, after fork during the first 6 - 9 months of Darkcoin.  That was Evan learning the ropes.

That's what Georgem has been doing. Now he is a Bitcoin dev after all this time of learning about the code base.  It does take about 12-18 months for someone with software skills to get up to speed.  Implementing BIPs and updating to the latest bitcoin core is proof that he is a proper crypto dev.

His approach is different to other devs, but that's how the roadmap will become reality.
That's not entirely relevant.. True, Evan definitely had to learn the ropes. But the big difference is that Evan showed progression because there were visible commits and he made visible mistakes, people (the community) talked about these and knew exactly where the project stood and was heading. Even at uncertain times with fork after fork everyone knew development was still going strong, which creates trust to a certain degree.

Now, back to SPR. In 18 months time zero code has been added to the SPR GitHub and a few fancy mock-ups have been shown to the public. Also, which still is a riddle to many of us, Georgem doesn't want any external help. Why doesn't he want any help? Because people might then find out there's 0 coding been done? Where and in what has all the work, money and time been spent on?

Georgem is a great guy, so is everyone in this community. But I hope you understand why I think this starts to feel like empty promise after empty promise. I want to be proven wrong, I really do. Even a simple video showing a working SPR wallet with all the mentioned features will make a lot of investors happy.

Whose up for helping out? Pull requests are open to anyone.

Anyone with a SIP? (Spreadcoin Improvement Proposal)

By my calculations, if we get to $100m you'll be driving around in a Ferrari California and living in a pimped out penthouse overlooking the Beach.

You know the bitcoin full node proposal can do that for you  Wink
legendary
As I was saying, the miners rewards are now tied to Georgem skills.

As we pick up what miners don't want to keep or can't afford to keep, we are also tied to Georgem's new Bitcoin dev skills.

Thick skin and focus on the big game is what's needed now. $100m to $200m market cap is the target and that needs Bitcoin whales to see why we are super important to maintaining and increasing their wealth.
Ni dieu ni maître
I think some of this could be worrisome. I am personally not super worried. It seems to me that Georgem perhaps underestimated the task at hand in the beginning, and was in a huge trial and error stage up until recently. Of course, I am speculating. So it would be nice to hear something about the issues he has had just as much as his successes. Transparency is always a good thing!

Edit or as Coins101 said above^

I don't think anyone is arguing that he is running a giant scam. But if they are - consider this - over the past few months, price has been pretty abysmal, and I have only given him a couple hundred in donations. If he were trying to take peoples money and fuck them over, there are far more efficient ways - and he seems like he's clever enough that he would be able to fake it until he made a lot of money. It's almost an insult to his intelligence to say he is scheming lol.

Also, Georgem is more principled than most people I've encountered. That is part of the reason why I really like him as a dev, and why I have a good amount of confidence in this project succeeding.

We have gone over this before - the only real issue is if he can or can't deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxi-IUnCN_8

"The only rules that really matter are these: What a man can do. And what a man can't do."

For the record, I don't think this is a scam.

I only posted just in case people are unaware of previous support given to georgem.

My opinion doesn't necessarily matter, just wanted to address the donations = faster work claim.

I understand. I didn't think you or anyone was claiming it was a scam. It seems like more people have issue with pace of development.

As I sort of said, it was probably a trial and error period in the beginning. Donations then may not have "worked" as efficiently then as might now. Georgem's time spent developing back then could have been used on things that ended up resulting in some sort of failure. He has said in the past that he had to scrap some things and start over. It sounds like he has a far better handle on things now, along with a vision of where things are going.

I think productivity per hour coded will increase as Georgem gets in the groove and really nails things down. This isn't to say time before was wasted, because it wasn't. It was a learning process. At least this is how I picture things.

Time will tell if I have squandered money and time. But currently, I am fairly comfortable with the "risks" associated with the project.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Decentralize Everything
I think some of this could be worrisome. I am personally not super worried. It seems to me that Georgem perhaps underestimated the task at hand in the beginning, and was in a huge trial and error stage up until recently. Of course, I am speculating. So it would be nice to hear something about the issues he has had just as much as his successes. Transparency is always a good thing!

I don't think anyone is arguing that he is running a giant scam. But if they are - consider this - over the past few months, price has been pretty abysmal, and I have only given him a couple hundred in donations. If he were trying to take peoples money and fuck them over, there are far more efficient ways - and he seems like he's clever enough that he would be able to fake it until he made a lot of money. It's almost an insult to his intelligence to say he is scheming lol.

Also, Georgem is more principled than most people I've encountered. That is part of the reason why I really like him as a dev, and why I have a good amount of confidence in this project succeeding.

We have gone over this before - the only real issue is if he can or can't deliver.

"The only rules that really matter are these: What a man can do. And what a man can't do."

For the record, I don't think this is a scam.

I only posted just in case people are unaware of previous support given to georgem.

My opinion doesn't necessarily matter, just wanted to address the donations = faster work claim.
Ni dieu ni maître

legendary
We both know there are several projects that are moving at a snail's pace because devs have to work on other things to pay their bills.

Also, being in this world in real life, its very difficult to give a linear timeline to work getting done, mainly because of problem solving. You can't just say I'll solve a problem in x days.
Agreed, 100%. But not being able to show the slightest bit of feasible tangible (oops, wrong choice of words) progression after 18 months is worrying, isn't it? And how do you explain the GitHub? Unless he's been working on some private GitHub nobody knows about.

I'm trying to get real. Believe me, I want this project to succeed as much as you do. I have invested big amounts as well, but my hope and trust are slowly fading..

Ah, I see.

I think the bit you are missing is this. Geoegem is a software engineer. But that doesn't make you a crypto developer. We know this from Evan. We had fork after fork, after fork during the first 6 - 9 months of Darkcoin.  That was Evan learning the ropes.

That's what Georgem has been doing. Now he is a Bitcoin dev after all this time of learning about the code base.  It does take about 12-18 months for someone with software skills to get up to speed.  Implementing BIPs and updating to the latest bitcoin core is proof that he is a proper crypto dev.

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Wondering why georgem needs donations. It's simple to make money, if you know where to put your money. Look at Monero : it was easy to make hundreds BTC of profit the last days.
BTW, georgem will never respect the others, because he's libertarian, not religious as me.
legendary
legendary

The more donations I get from you guys, the more work gets done, faster.
As easy as that.  Cool
I get no donations--> work will get done too... eventually, just slower.

And everything in between.

Rule of thumb: Donation of 100$ equals a day's work.

BTW, I have a few awesome/ridiculous ideas about funding, I will talk about them later. Time to let the capitalist in me shine!

Ok Georgem, that's it. I have kept my mouth shut for long enough now in the hopes you would finally deliver something feasible, but you honestly leave me no other choice.

The fact you're asking for donations is fine, every developer appreciates some financial aid. But by saying development will go at a slower pace if people don't donate, are you serious? And it's in OUR hands now if this will get finished anytime soon or at all? I know for a fact you had quite some financial support in the past. What's the result of that support??

Also, by all means, I can't agree more with some earlier comments: In the past 18 months you delivered several pretty mock-ups and a fancier wallet with a built-in vanitygen. And on top of that all, looking at the GitHub the last commit was @ 5th of August 2015 (https://github.com/spreadcoin/mrspread/commits/master) and not a single line of code has been added after that. How can you ask donations for development that simply isn't happening??

For the sake of your own dignity and the SPR community: PLEASE prove me wrong. Show us some code, or at least something else than a fancy mock-up. And really, what's the talk about you not willing to work with other developers if it can greatly boost productivity and development? What the actual fuck!?

I would love to hear from the rest of the community, this has taken long enough. Time for some real answers!?

We both know there are several projects that are moving at a snail's pace because devs have to work on other things to pay their bills.

Also, being in this world in real life, its very difficult to give a linear timeline to work getting done, mainly because of problem solving. You can't just say I'll solve a problem in x days.

legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Decentralize Everything
Georgem has received more financial support than any dev I know working on a project that hasn't delivered anything yet.

150,000 SPR from me alone in the last year.

I know of others who have give him thousands of dollars of donations in fiat. That didn't make work speed up or show any progress.  Its up to them if they want to come forward.  I know some are trying to protect their investment.

There is a reason why the people who supported georgem most have walked away from this project.

Georgem, get off your pedestal, dial back your ego a few notches and start treating your investors and supporters with some respect.
legendary
Curious you say this - sounds like your confidence has increased.

Yes, definitely, when compared to that "headless" dev time a year ago, shortly after original MrSpread left us, indeed, there was a lot of uncertainty back then...

Now, not anymore.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Servicenodes, Bitcoin full node support and data mining to sustain Spreadcoin and Bitcoin well into the next century were invented out of that period of change.

Your excellent roadmap was born from picking up the pieces.
legendary
You have to work on other projects?

I'm very flexible at the moment.

As easy as that.  Cool

BTW, I have a few awesome/ridiculous ideas about funding, I will talk about them later. Time to let the capitalist in me shine!
And no, they won't involve "funding through coinbase".

Why not set aside some Coinbase to pay for full time development?
Since it's introduction within DASH, Coinbase payments to the project team, they have gone from $20m to $90m

...and bitcoin's marketcap has gone from 0$ to 1000$ without the need of any such schemes.

Funding development through coinbase is a sacrilege, if I ever start talking about "taxing" the miners I want someone to put a bullet in spreadcoin's head.  Cool
One of the most important features of a blockchain is its immutability, that miners/investors can expect the parameters (especially those of the coin creation) to stay the same forever.

Funding the dev is not "that" important (I'm just an inventive dude with a hamster) that we should throw our principles out of the window like DASH has done so often (premine-accident, going closed-source for months, funding through coinbase, ... )
But hey, they can do whatever they want, it's not my business. But their "practices" are not compatible with Spreadcoin is all I'm saying.

Stay tuned for more revelations!  Shocked

When you read the original Bitcoin white paper, Coinbase rewards are basically a bribe to mine. It's a temporary measure until the  network has enough users to pay fees.

The Coinbase mechanism is dependent on the network having significant value and uptake.

There are different ways that can be achieved and they are independent of the Coinbase rewards.  If it were otherwise, Coinbase rewards on their own would be sufficient for a coin to be successful, which is plainly not the case.

On Spreadcoin you Georgem give the network it's value.  This will eventually change when the network reaches a critical escape velocity and code can be contributed to by others without knocking confidence, but until then your inventiveness, your time and your skills are intrinsically tied to the value of the Coinbase rewards.

So your argument is, at this time, not one of taxing the miners because they profit because of you. If you are paid by the Coinbase to work full time on the Project, both you and the miners win.

I know the current situation won't change, but my argument is valid. You know I'm right.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
Curious you say this - sounds like your confidence has increased.

Yes, definitely, when compared to that "headless" dev time a year ago, shortly after original MrSpread left us, indeed, there was a lot of uncertainty back then...

Now, not anymore.

Ni dieu ni maître
Evan be like:

Would love to hear these. I had thought of setting up a shirt fundraising sort of thing and then getting all the funds to you, but I wasn't sure how much anyone would want a Mr. Spread shirt. lol.

I think also upon the release of the Spreadwallet some people in the community may have increased confidence and you may receive some more donations.

Maybe I didn't think this project will last "years". But now I'm so convinced, I will consider decades and centuries in the code. Not yet millenia... though...

Curious you say this - sounds like your confidence has increased. But it would seem to me, that based on what is hoped to be achieved here, that the coin will have staying power, even with the rise and fall of other currencies. Lots of options to explore once those nodes are up and running.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
You have to work on other projects?

I'm very flexible at the moment.

As easy as that.  Cool

Why not set aside some Coinbase to pay for full time development?
Since it's introduction within DASH, Coinbase payments to the project team, they have gone from $20m to $90m

...and bitcoin's marketcap has gone from 0$ to 1000$ without the need of any such schemes.

Funding development through coinbase is a sacrilege, if I ever start talking about "taxing" the miners I want someone to put a bullet in spreadcoin's head.  Cool
One of the most important features of a blockchain is its immutability, that miners/investors can expect the parameters (especially those of the coin creation) to stay the same forever.

Funding the dev is not "that" important (I'm just an inventive dude with a hamster) that we should throw our principles out of the window like DASH has done so often (premine-accident, going closed-source for months, funding through coinbase, ... )
But hey, they can do whatever they want, it's not my business. But their "practices" are not compatible with Spreadcoin is all I'm saying.

Stay tuned for more revelations!  Shocked
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
We best be getting price up to $10 soon then! Anyone who doesn't push price up / sells below $10 dollars is a hamster killer  Cry

AGREE Smiley

BUY SPR NOW: Buy before you Cry!

Now is the time to buy cheap SPR, it won't stay that way for long.

Don't come crying later  Grin
Jump to: