Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming) - page 292. (Read 790393 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
Well, here is something to discuss, since our current block limit is 200 kb, and our block time is 1 minute, means we can handle aprox double as many transactions per second as bitcoin, and since we are going to need to do a hardfork in the future, we might as well think about if we should raise that limit from current 14 transactions per second.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/lets-talk-bitcoin-217-the-bitcoin-block-size-discussion

@12.00

~ "We should have 3-4 solutions to find the one that works"

@18.40

~" Monthly costs to run a full node $20-$30 / month" 

-> we can do it for $5-$10  Wink
legendary
Looks like Bitcoin is open to incentives

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/37xtok/using_micropayment_channels_to_incentivise_full/

With an increase in block sizes, the need for incentives becomes an urgent issue.
legendary
......Investors....

Investors? What are they?

I wasn't expecting any investors as such....I was expecting business owners to set-up services that others from outside of Spreadcoin would use.

I suppose we might get the odd person that buys a few thousand and sits around waiting to make a 'profit' by selling up somewhere along the line, but I'm in this to help generate lots of micro-industries that, you know, make money by offering services that are of value to users.

On that front, I have been wondering about some of the services and features being discussed:

* Automated escrow (being the most popular requested from the survey)

* Decentralized github (wow, where did that come from?)

* Getting rid of a reference node, by making all nodes reference nodes (wow, where did that great idea come from?)

* Project X

* And finally, creating an API to remove all the services, and run them again via the API and allow others to create services that connect to the ServiceNode network (cool bananas)

I guess, Slack is a great resource for discussing and working on issues, but this thread doesn't get the benefit of knowing what is being worked on or proposed, etc.  We do have an intention to do regular updates, but I guess that has fallen between the cracks as we didn't organise who would do what, when on that front. I'll get something agreed on that - probably take it in turns every week.

Back to my observation - Investors?

The evidence from several years of altcoins and bitcoin 'investing' is that investors are a rare breed - fickle traders are the norm.  

People that have been investing in Bitcoin, are actually those that have been investing in services linked to bitcoin. If these investors had put in the ~$700m of investment funds into just bitcoin, I guess each BTC would now be worth $100,000.

So, my observation is that if you create services, people will pile in and try to make a decent living out of those services. I guess that is indeed a form of investment, but a proactive one that has greater longevity.
legendary
has anyone looked into a viable and cost effective vps for hosting a btc full node in preparation for testnet?  What about hosting several service nodes, say 50+?

Everything is up in the air atm.

Knowone knows anything about how servicenodes are going to work.
The dev team told us, SN testing would happen at the end of the month, but in actual fact knowone has even looked at the code MrSpread left behind.

My faith in the dev team is slowly diminishing.

I see the "new wallet" that's being worked on as a walk in the park compared to SN's, and that's already overdue.

I hope my skepticism is invalid

if you can throw something together, i do welcome it, and i bet georgem would welcome some help as well, but sometimes things take longer that imagined.

look at the history of darkcoin, how long did things take... it wasnt done in a month, it took the best part of 6 months to get up and running, and the hardest part right now is the service nodes, after we get them working, adding services will be the easiest part...

the question that remain, do you want something thrown together, or do you want quality, that doesnt need to be rewritten, patched all the time?

[rant]I'm all for rewriting and patching. Things change, the code will have to change eventually anyway.

Progress is super slow, deadlines are missed, no direction.

Servicenodes with "BTC nodes" is going to take months to release, even to testnet, which i bet 0 investors want to hear.

"BTC nodes" could be an addition after we have implemented SN's. The community will grow as a result of SN's and the developers will emerge to help with adding "BTC nodes" and "services" to servicenodes.

I think the team needs to be upfront about what kind of time scale we are looking at, something we can refer to and hold dev team to account over.
So if the new wallet is going to take 2 more weeks, then say that. If its any less then well done! The community will love you.

If you haven't even looked at the SN code as of yet and you KNOW it wont be tested for at least 3 more months then let the community know that.
Investors are under the impression SN testing was at the end of May. It's now the end of may and the wallet isn't even released.
No member of the dev team has said "sorry guys, but SN testing will not be at the end of may".[/rant]

only thing i can say is, if your not happy, sell your coins...

i know the new wallet is very close to release, and SN is being worked on. im deep in core atm, and i can either continue the mud throwing contest, or i can use my time on something that matters, that is up to you...
legendary
Activity: 1092
has anyone looked into a viable and cost effective vps for hosting a btc full node in preparation for testnet?  What about hosting several service nodes, say 50+?

The dev team told us, SN testing would happen at the end of the month, but in actual fact knowone has even looked at the code MrSpread left behind.

I see the "new wallet" that's being worked on as a walk in the park compared to SN's, and that's already overdue.

if you can throw something together, i do welcome it, and i bet georgem would welcome some help as well, but sometimes things take longer that imagined.

look at the history of darkcoin, how long did things take... it wasnt done in a month, it took the best part of 6 months to get up and running, and the hardest part right now is the service nodes, after we get them working, adding services will be the easiest part...

the question that remain, do you want something thrown together, or do you want quality, that doesnt need to be rewritten, patched all the time?

[rant]I'm all for rewriting and patching. Things change, the code will have to change eventually anyway.

Progress is super slow, deadlines are missed, no direction.

Servicenodes with "BTC nodes" is going to take months to release, even to testnet, which i bet 0 investors want to hear.

"BTC nodes" could be an addition after we have implemented SN's. The community will grow as a result of SN's and the developers will emerge to help with adding "BTC nodes" and "services" to servicenodes.

I think the team needs to be upfront about what kind of time scale we are looking at, something we can refer to and hold dev team to account over.
So if the new wallet is going to take 2 more weeks, then say that. If its any less then well done! The community will love you.

If you haven't even looked at the SN code as of yet and you KNOW it wont be tested for at least 3 more months then let the community know that.
Investors are under the impression SN testing was at the end of May. It's now the end of may and the wallet isn't even released.
No member of the dev team has said "sorry guys, but SN testing will not be at the end of may".[/rant]
legendary
...the question that remain, do you want something thrown together, or do you want quality, that doesnt need to be rewritten, patched all the time?

I think the bounty for bitcoin core update is about 15k-20k SPR?

Hopefully, that will result in good quality, but it was never in doubt to begin with  Tongue
legendary
has anyone looked into a viable and cost effective vps for hosting a btc full node in preparation for testnet?  What about hosting several service nodes, say 50+?

I was reading some of the dev discussions on Slack yesterday on ServiceNode designs, priorities and ultimate objectives. I came away with very confident feeling that we are on the right track.

As Chaositech has said above, slow and steady is going to beat projects that target pump and dump speeds.

So.....it will be ready when its ready.

The question was about hosting.

We are testing a cheap service we obtained via lowendbox.com, they have a package that seems to meet all the objectives and the cost is $35/year.

This is a VPS set-up guide on their platform.

We have been in contact with the service provider and they are keen to help as much as possible if we feel they can get 10%-20% of nodes set-up on their VPS hosting.  We should also be able to get an affiliate kick-back to go to a dev fund.

I have been in contact with one of the DASH MN hosting service providers. At the end of the day, money is money. If there is money to be made from running ServiceNodes as a service, there is interest in running them for others. The main issue was about time. Those that do hosting more or less full time have the greatest interest - 50 to 200, not an issue for them, might be an issue for decentralization discussions.

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1092

Activity: 171
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Crypto since 2014
Gavin Andersen proposing to fork Bitcoin?

http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/34155307/

A few days ago I heard him "flirting" with 1 min blocktime... http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/35hpkt/please_remind_me_once_again_why_we_cant_decrease/cr4wk0g

He is looking for change!

Soon he will start his YES WE CAN campaign.
lol

So we need to run bitcoin core and bitcoin xt, just in case  Grin

or gavin andresen will be put in an asylum, whatever happens first.
Changing coin protocol that late is a big NO NO!
I was wading through the comments and I found a very nice argument:

Quote from: bitskeptic 6 points 20 days ago
If the average block propagation time in the whole network is 6 seconds today, that would (in my humble opinion) bring to a let's say 1/10 chance of losing your block/having an orphaned blockchain. But that's averaged across the whole network. If everyone loses 10% of their blocks no one does.
The analysis is more complicated than that. Even if we assume there's a 6 second delay, and then everyone else hears about your block at the same time, there's still not a 10% chance of being orphaned, because the pool who found the block will switch immediately to mining the next block.
For example, if a pool has 10% of the network hash rate, as soon as it finds a block we have 90% of the network mining orphans and 10% mining the next block. This gives a 9% chance of the block being orphaned. Now lets imagine the pool has 30% hash rate. Now the block only has a 7% chance of being orphaned.
The bigger the pool, the less competing hash rate there is to orphan their blocks. This creates an advantage for large pools, which encourages centralization. The smaller you make the block interval, the more it favours large central pools. We should be careful about anything that gives centralized advantages.
permalinksavereportgive goldreply
Quote from: edivad 1 point 20 days ago
This is probably the best counter argument so far. But still, a 5 minutes block time now with the prospective of lowering it in the future as the network capabilities improve can't hurt.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info

A few days ago I heard him "flirting" with 1 min blocktime... http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/35hpkt/please_remind_me_once_again_why_we_cant_decrease/cr4wk0g

lol

So we need to run bitcoin core and bitcoin xt, just in case  Grin

or gavin andresen will be put in an asylum, whatever happens first.
Changing coin protocol that late is a big NO NO!
legendary

lol

So we need to run bitcoin core and bitcoin xt, just in case  Grin
legendary
spreadcoin.info

lol
legendary
legendary
spreadcoin.info
in the long run im thinking that we need a kind of API and a extra layer for communications between nodes, and services, then it would be possible to implement whatever services people would want, and the node owners could pick whatever extra services they would like to run.... but alas, this is in the future

I was thinking along the same lines.

First we need to create fix hardcoded services so that we can gather experience and knowledge, and get the project started. (full node service, decentralized messaging, decentralized domain service maybe?, decentralized search engine, github, forum, etc, etc,...)

But while we are doing that, keep in mind that the end goal would always be to create an environment that is capable to run one last service that allows you to create your own services, in a modular way.
This final service will then also replace all previous services because they can now be emulated.

Something like this music program I use, that lets you create your own synthesizers thru a modular node-based system, where you are allowed to connect all kinds of moduls thru signals and slots.

Something like that but with crypto related moduls and dependencies ---> revolution!!!
legendary
.....in the long run im thinking that we need a kind of API and a extra layer for communications between nodes, and services, then it would be possible to implement whatever services people would want, and the node owners could pick whatever extra services they would like to run.... but alas, this is in the future

+101

This is what we discussed a while back. Its a great target for an expandable future service network.

We are where the internet was in ~1993.  The real action started in 1996, and then again in 1998, and then again in 2002, and then again.......... Tongue
legendary
Decentralized github....love it!

http://blog.printf.net/articles/2015/05/29/announcing-gittorrent-a-decentralized-github/

Decentralize everything, yay!

what a great way of doing things ...

we would really like to have granitecoin involved in some way or another with all this guys ...

i know - i know ... this will start a flame war now of coin against coin and all that ... but really - why not? ...

i dont know how - but ideas are free Wink ... and we are happy to do what needs to be done on an idea basis ...

#crysx

Think about how it could be implemented, add an element for paid for services, then it should get some development traction.

It would be great to have the servicenode network running this and with another project involved.

If there is a way to get many services developed in parallel that would be the ultimate big win for everyone.

in the long run im thinking that we need a kind of API and a extra layer for communications between nodes, and services, then it would be possible to implement whatever services people would want, and the node owners could pick whatever extra services they would like to run.... but alas, this is in the future
Jump to: