Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming) - page 328. (Read 790393 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
Funny you should mention incentives to people running a full bitcoin node.

I started a thread about that a few days ago.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11238697

So maybe, to run a servicenode, you also need to run a full bitcoin node.

That would stop people spamming the servicenode network with dummy accounts to get a share of rewards.

Roll Eyes

The more I hear about this idea the more I like it.
And it shouldn't be that hard to implement this as the first "service" the servicenodes are going to provide.
legendary
spreadcoin.info
Thats not true george, the pools work like all the other pools - no one can steal anything, just some adaption was needed and done.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt until I understand every last byte of Mr. Spread's code. (not just syntactically but semantically)
Meanwhile I am still not going to post your pool (for now).

The Site is nice, THATS true Smiley

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
For servicenodes owners, it would be nice to have the option not to run a service in their area.

I think this has already been discussed or raised.

That means that any services that are illegal in a particular area, they can still be legally operated by the network with transactions taking place in countries where the services are not illegal.
legendary
How about the big elephant in Bitcoin's room.  Is there a way a SpreadCoin service node could incentivise somebody to run a full bitcoin node?

Interesting question.

Running a full bitcoin node will always be a purely voluntary act.

There is also a feedback effect in work: people who are longterm invested in BTC are also automatically the people who will run a full bitcoin node (or keep on mining) indefinitely,
because for them this is like some kind of insurance.

They understand that without their help the perceived value of the BTC they hold vanishes...

So in their mind, I don't think that they need any additional incentives to do something that is healthy for the network.

So your question I guess is more about... how can we incentivise someone to run a full bitcoin node who doesn't own any BTC at all?

Now, if we as a network of a few thousand servicenodes could have a bitcoin node installed on each of our service nodes, than this would serve bitcoin well.
Maybe if this decentralized searchengine is also a giant decentralized blockexplorer? Then we could help all cryptocoins (we take in) and they would be incentivised to help us... by buying SPR I guess...

Funny you should mention incentives to people running a full bitcoin node.

I started a thread about that a few days ago.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11238697

So maybe, to run a servicenode, you also need to run a full bitcoin node.

That would stop people spamming the servicenode network with dummy accounts to get a share of rewards.

Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1240
It's quite the predicament.

I agree with ocminer that more pools will come to life if the price of spreadcoin keeps rising.

At the same time I wouldn't like the promotion of any pools in the OP, we need promotion of solo.

But I feel its only ethical to make it 1000% crystal clear that there are pools, that work.

Yes they work as long as everybody plays nice, and doesn't try to use the protocol rules which are in their favour (or not - in the case of the pools)

Thats not true george, the pools work like all the other pools - no one can steal anything, just some adaption was needed and done.

Nice work georgem, website is shit hot.

Best compliment I recieved today, thanks.

The Site is nice, THATS true Smiley

legendary
spreadcoin.info

I agree with ocminer that more pools will come to life if the price of spreadcoin keeps rising.

At the same time I wouldn't like the promotion of any pools in the OP, we need promotion of solo.

But I feel its only ethical to make it 1000% crystal clear that there are pools, that work.

Yes they work as long as everybody plays nice, and doesn't try to use the protocol rules (instead of whatever "prepared" mining software they use) which are in their favour (or not - in the case of the pools)

Best compliment I recieved today, thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Please add https://spr.suprnova.cc as pool!

Please add the pool to the OP Smiley

Any miner in any assumed pool can always just steal the block reward instead of following the rules set up by the pool.

It's for your own good that I don't put your pool in the OP.

Nope, they cannot, i have fixed that already long time ago.

Noone can steal anything as everything gets encrypted

Are your miners here open source?

https://spr.suprnova.cc/index.php?page=gettingstarted

Yes, they are all on my github, just the encryption key (256 bit) is secret. Did you follow the old thread? Smiley

There were parts that I skipped over I admit  Grin, I will have to read it first...

It's all open source.

All that special stuff which had been built in to prevent pools has been fully encrypted by me, no one can read the privkeys.

I just stopped work on the pool stuff since the interest on the coin literally vanished, hopefully it comes back. Several other pools had contacted me also to help them setting up the encryption stuff, so probably if price goes up, more pools will be available.

Oh and I would be glad to make the pool 0% Fee if that helps..  It is a community thing..

Of course you are always able to Solo

legendary
spreadcoin.info
That means we will need a decentralised browser  Smiley

EXACTLY right.

I've been dreaming about a decentralized browser since the days I went "all in" on namecoin about two years ago, lol.

A decentralized in-wallet browser with blockchain access also finally makes it easy to browse those *.bit (namecoin) or...

let's say *.coin (spreadcoin) domains?

And so the endless realms of possibilities begin.

Yep, you know what... let's wait with the roadmap, I'd rather chat with you guys a little longer and gather more material.
But what I will put online later is the next immediate "TO DO" list for the month of may.

I am not sure if this has been posted earlier in the old thread, but here it is: http://yacy.net/en/index.html
Decentralized P2P search network. It's been out there since 2006. It might be worth taking a look, GeorgeM.

Yes it has been posted, but thanks anyway for mentioning it.

I am looking into YaCy and there also other ones like faroo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAROO) and scholarninja (http://juretriglav.si/an-open-distributed-search-engine-for-science/)

But they all seem to not be very much used by anybody...
probably most of the people just got too much used to the results google gives and don't like other formats... hm...
legendary
spreadcoin.info
How about the big elephant in Bitcoin's room.  Is there a way a SpreadCoin service node could incentivise somebody to run a full bitcoin node?

Now, if we as a network of a few thousand servicenodes could have a bitcoin node installed on each of our service nodes, than this would serve bitcoin well.
Maybe if this decentralized searchengine is also a giant decentralized blockexplorer? Then we could help all cryptocoins (we take in) and they would be incentivised to help us... by buying SPR I guess...

Or solo mining it (SPR)...

Help them so they help us.
I like this.

If we could somehow force any servicenode to also run a full bitcoin-node, this would immediately be something of value to the whole cryptoworld, not just SPR.

More such ideas please!
Activity: 271
Merit: 251

EXACTLY right.

I've been dreaming about a decentralized browser since the days I went "all in" on namecoin about two years ago, lol.

A decentralized in-wallet browser with blockchain access also finally makes it easy to browse those *.bit (namecoin) or...

Yep, you know what... let's wait with the roadmap, I'd rather chat with you guys a little longer and gather more material.
But what I will put online later is the next immediate "TO DO" list for the month of may.

I am not sure if this has been posted earlier in the old thread, but here it is: http://yacy.net/en/index.html
Decentralized P2P search network. It's been out there since 2006. It might be worth taking a look, GeorgeM.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Decentralize Everything

Or solo mining it (SPR)...
legendary
Decentralize Everything
Er, yes....obviously that is what I meant!  Grin 

With media stories like the below Bitcoin could do with more full nodes.  As you correctly point out, the incentive would have to be aimed at people with no or few BTC.

http://www.coindesk.com/chainalysis-ceo-denies-launching-sybil-attack-on-bitcoin-network/

legendary
spreadcoin.info

Interesting question.

Running a full bitcoin node will always be a purely voluntary act.

There is also a feedback effect in work: people who are longterm invested in BTC are also automatically the people who will run a full bitcoin node (or keep on mining) indefinitely,
because for them this is like some kind of insurance.

They understand that without their help the perceived value of the BTC they hold vanishes...

So in their mind, I don't think that they need any additional incentives to do something that is healthy for the network.

So your question I guess is more about... how can we incentivise someone to run a full bitcoin node who doesn't own any BTC at all?

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1006
BCH Advocate.
legendary
Decentralize Everything

EXACTLY right.

How about the big elephant in Bitcoin's room.  Is there a way a SpreadCoin service node could incentivise somebody to run a full bitcoin node?
legendary
spreadcoin.info

EXACTLY right.

legendary
Decentralize Everything
legendary
spreadcoin.info
A decentralised internet search engine?

WTF.

Does that mean we can run AdWords?

lol, I've been thinking about this...
Generating revenue for the servicenodes thru annoying advertisements of any kind is not the solution.

But what if everybody with a SPR wallet can "hire" the service node network to do very specific search tasks... ?

For example:

"I give you this picture here and 1 SPR.... find websites that also contain this picture (or similar pictures)"

A few minutes later the results start coming in...
legendary
A decentralised internet search engine?

WTF.

Does that mean we can run AdWords?

That means we will need a decentralised browser  Smiley
legendary
Decentralize Everything
Support getting stronger by the hour on Bittrex. Bitter sweet lol

Just wait until the roadmap is up and we have announced the first few services.   Look at me....I sound like a cheerleader already!  Grin

snip

Ofcourse I can get very speculative about the far future in the roadmap, but I will not do this ATM.

Thats the best bit...we have no idea about the far future of this project.  Thats the beauty of it.  Its not up to us which direction it takes.  All we can do is start it off with a strong foundation, build the first few services and community demand will dictate where the service goes in the future...
Jump to: