Author

Topic: [ANN] Storj - Decentralized Storage - page 111. (Read 389670 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
May 10, 2014, 01:35:55 PM
Mega is the only one I know that does large file client side uploads, and I think their tech only works on Chrome. Their code isn't exactly open source.
Mega also works on Firefox. There's an extension, but it's optional. Maybe we could download the extension and see its source to find if encryption is done there...
legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
May 10, 2014, 11:06:13 AM
Your mention of the 1MB limit on encryption and its corresponding footnote 5 & 6 is an odd one. You talk about encryption of files being limited to 1MB (will get to that in a moment). But, one footnote points to a blog entry where, if you scroll to the bottom, you'll see that the problem with 1MB is related to upload which has a resolution. The other footnote talks about download. Everyone knows that we can upload and download greater than 1MB with a browser. Neither footnote talks about a limit around encryption.
Let's talk about 1MB limit around encryption. This is also not true. Visit the SJCL encryption demo website. You can paste a >1MB string in there and press the button to see it encrypted. Try it here: http://bitwiseshiftleft.github.io/sjcl/demo/
So am I missing something or have you not done a Proof-of-Concept yet?
You didn't read the rest of the thread. I will give you 50 mBTC if you can find an javascript clientside encryption library that can handle up to a 10 GB file. Uploading a file is easy. Uploading and simultaneously encrypting the file is hard. You end up exceeding the memory limits of the browser as you to the crypto-computation. Mega is the only one I know that does large file client side uploads, and I think their tech only works on Chrome. Their code isn't exactly open source.

All the demos seem to stop at a few megabytes. We need a encryption library that handles gigabytes, and I don't think they is one out there currently open source(at least from my search). We might have to build one. Prove me wrong.

As far as a desktop client that is easy peasy. If we add a chrome extension, that can make it easy too. Just trying to achieve end-to-end encryption without the user having to install anything. Storj itself has no file size limit, its just the browser tech is a little bit behind on end-to-end encryption that we want for our web nodes. We currently have full server side encryption implemented(which is more than anyone currently does), but we want this to be paranoid level secure.
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
May 10, 2014, 12:23:58 AM
Great concept but I find it hard to use all these coins for prediction markets or whatever proposed they are so illiquid. Developed on top of bitcoin to use bitcoins liquidity has greater chances of success imo.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
May 08, 2014, 03:25:39 PM
You can't really have both. If the space is cheap, you might as well buy from the cloud. If you can make a lot of money, sell to it.

If you net out to zero, why bother? If you need the backup for peace of mind, then you'll have to pay for it.

And as stated before you get privacy, decentralization, open source, and security. If you're just trying to make money, then that is another thing.
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
May 08, 2014, 11:40:21 AM
You can't really have both. If the space is cheap, you might as well buy from the cloud. If you can make a lot of money, sell to it.

If you net out to zero, why bother? If you need the backup for peace of mind, then you'll have to pay for it.
Because then it becomes free to play with a new technology. Smiley

Besides, my 4TB drive is unused anyway right now...
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
May 08, 2014, 09:53:50 AM
I saw the future.
Activity: 87
May 08, 2014, 08:37:56 AM
This. This is the kind of stuff I've been waiting to see. This is what makes programmable money (Bitcoin) so damn powerful.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
May 07, 2014, 11:26:38 PM

legendary
May 07, 2014, 06:55:59 PM
Let's say I dedicate a 4TB hard drive to the service, and then I upload 4TB of data. Is the intent that my income from sharing my drive equal my cost for storing the data? In other words, would it net out to zero?
If you had a replication factor of 1 then yes it would net to zero. But unfortunately data failures will happen. Hard drives will crash, people will turn their computers off. I recommend a replication factor of 3, which should give the network enough time to "heal" your replication if a node or two disconnects. So if we go with that then if you provide 4TB of physical space to the network, you get 1.33TB of file space back.

The I think the important distinction is that if you provide 4TB of physical drive space, you get 4TB of physical drive space back. When we add redundancy you are providing 1.33TB of file storage space to the network, and getting 1.33TB of file storage back.
Activity: 295
Merit: 250
May 07, 2014, 12:53:50 PM
Let's say I dedicate a 4TB hard drive to the service, and then I upload 4TB of data. Is the intent that my income from sharing my drive equal my cost for storing the data? In other words, would it net out to zero?
legendary
May 07, 2014, 11:30:09 AM
So, either I make a lot of money with my hard drives, or I can buy really cheap space for my lifetime of photos and videos. Cool either way, although I'd prefer to make money.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
May 07, 2014, 03:08:58 AM
So, either I make a lot of money with my hard drives, or I can buy really cheap space for my lifetime of photos and videos. Cool either way, although I'd prefer to make money.
legendary
May 07, 2014, 12:46:03 AM
Last time I ran the numbers it was around $8k per 1Gbit at market prices. Dropbox charges $1 per GB per year, so you can do the math on that one.

Maybe 10 years ago prices under 1$ per mbit are common now on large commits, as for dropbox its easy to undercut them, some of us already do. Tho' they have a good brand and millions of venture money hence they can afford to waste money on amazon s3, alot of silicon valley companies never make a cent, its all a promise of.

Anyways whole thing smells fishy and still no reply to my question.
Oh I missed your second question. Basically the node is paid in intervals(which the application get to decide). So if the node accepts payment for the first hour, and then deletes the file they won't get paid anymore because they can't pass the hash verification test anymore. These should be really small amounts, so fraud should be fairly low. If someone really tries hard to exploit the system we can add in blockchain based escrow as well.

Eh, prices are just an easy selling point. Privacy, decentralization, open source, and security are things that Dropbox cannot offer. Would you backup your unencrypted Bitcoin wallet on Dropbox?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004
May 06, 2014, 11:59:59 PM
I can't wait for this!!
Activity: 229
Merit: 101
May 06, 2014, 07:42:06 PM
Last time I ran the numbers it was around $8k per 1Gbit at market prices. Dropbox charges $1 per GB per year, so you can do the math on that one.

Maybe 10 years ago prices under 1$ per mbit are common now on large commits, as for dropbox its easy to undercut them, some of us already do. Tho' they have a good brand and millions of venture money hence they can afford to waste money on amazon s3, alot of silicon valley companies never make a cent, its all a promise of.

Anyways whole thing smells fishy and still no reply to my question.
legendary
May 06, 2014, 05:27:05 PM
We are taking the same model. Distributed fragments on multiple machines. We also will be using MaidSafe directly, so you will get that same method through their system.
May 06, 2014, 04:17:35 PM
Cool, thanks.
I noticed the long thread of comparison to MaidSafe and I had another question along those lines. MaidSafe talks about distributing fragments of files throughout the network to prevent comprise of files that might occur if a single node held them. Does Storage implement technology like that or when I pay for storage/bandwidth, do I buy from a single person and my data is stored exclusively with them?
legendary
May 06, 2014, 02:26:33 PM
So, when can I start selling my terabytes of space? I'm about to go and buy 49 hard drives which will connect to my 49 port USB hub.

Do I get paid in bitcoin? Can I be anonymous?
We are building out the front end app first, and we are almost ready to release it. You can have all the space you want, but if no one is buying it you won't earn a penny.
If you run a full web node yes you can get paid in Bitcoin, and be somewhat anonymous. Don't want to give a specific date for the selling portion. We don't make two week(tm) promises.

Get some good data on my proof of storage algorithm this month. After that we will doing limited testing with early supporters till we get it right.
Getting it right is key to get the starter momentum and a project like this will only flourish with A LOT of attention at the very start, so the first-time experience for buyers and sellers is vital to Storj's success. Great to hear you're putting some effort into making sure things are running smoothly instead of just throwing proof-of-concept alpha software out there.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'd like to think that I've been in this space long enough that I can learn from other's mistakes, and get Storj right the first time.

So will you be able to share files with other people?
If so, would it be like Mega, where I can upload my files, then generate a link anyone can use to access them...
or will the person receiving the share also have to be Storj users?
So yes, the web software will function like that. Drag-drop-done. No need to install special software, or have your friend download Storj. We make it simple to use from Day 1, and then build features and clients from there.
May 06, 2014, 01:54:20 PM
So will you be able to share files with other people?
If so, would it be like Mega, where I can upload my files, then generate a link anyone can use to access them...
or will the person receiving the share also have to be Storj users?
Activity: 119
Merit: 100
May 06, 2014, 11:05:57 AM
So, when can I start selling my terabytes of space? I'm about to go and buy 49 hard drives which will connect to my 49 port USB hub.

Do I get paid in bitcoin? Can I be anonymous?
We are building out the front end app first, and we are almost ready to release it. You can have all the space you want, but if no one is buying it you won't earn a penny.
If you run a full web node yes you can get paid in Bitcoin, and be somewhat anonymous. Don't want to give a specific date for the selling portion. We don't make two week(tm) promises.

Get some good data on my proof of storage algorithm this month. After that we will doing limited testing with early supporters till we get it right.
Getting it right is key to get the starter momentum and a project like this will only flourish with A LOT of attention at the very start, so the first-time experience for buyers and sellers is vital to Storj's success. Great to hear you're putting some effort into making sure things are running smoothly instead of just throwing proof-of-concept alpha software out there.
Jump to: