Author

Topic: [ANN] Storj - Decentralized Storage - page 117. (Read 389670 times)

legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
April 04, 2014, 01:49:16 PM
No, sorry, I don't buy that.

You don't even really need a P2P network except for very basic things like publishing adverts. You just need servers that can sell their disk space and bandwidth in return for money. I prototyped the start of this some time ago with PayFile. Then they need to learn how to run themselves and manage their own resources, pay their own hosting bills, and advertise their existence.

But at no point do you need a new currency or new block chain, not even for funding development.

I don't know where the DRM mention came from. That's random. StorJ nodes are supposed to store encrypted data, are they not? I mean, they're untrusted.
Ah! I understand where the confusion is. Let me clarify.

So what your describing is closer to gmaxwell's original spec where an agent is a temporary file store. That is a user wants to store a file for 24 hours on a server and pays for that. In that case you don't need a blockchain.

Now if I want to store my file for a few years. Obviously, the agent could die or go down in that time period. So we use the blockchain or P2P software as a lookup to where the file is. Therefore an agent can act as a retriever for that data, and still get paid for its used storage and bandwidth.

Essentially you can do both with the exact same software. In one case the file is kept on the agent, and deleted when time is up. In the other the node only acts as a conduit for the data to a larger distributed storage network.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
April 04, 2014, 07:58:50 AM
No, sorry, I don't buy that.

You don't even really need a P2P network except for very basic things like publishing adverts. You just need servers that can sell their disk space and bandwidth in return for money. I prototyped the start of this some time ago with PayFile. Then they need to learn how to run themselves and manage their own resources, pay their own hosting bills, and advertise their existence.

But at no point do you need a new currency or new block chain, not even for funding development.

I don't know where the DRM mention came from. That's random. StorJ nodes are supposed to store encrypted data, are they not? I mean, they're untrusted.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.
April 03, 2014, 10:06:20 PM
Okay, makes more sense. How does proof of resource work?
legendary
April 03, 2014, 10:02:12 PM
Do you really need a new cryptocurrency for this? I thought about how to build StorJ many times and at no point did I never need anything more than standard Bitcoin as it exists today.

You don't _technically_. But it is a very good way of funding a decentralized protocol economically. I personally think the ugliness to benefit ratio here is several orders of magnitude lower than something like proprietary software, mandatory fees or, satoshi cyber christ forbid, DRM.
This.

Looks very interesting. Technical details are fuzzy for me but is it that you run a node and it works likes POS or is it like POW? Also what I think would be better that we were rewarded in coins that you could redeem either for:

a. More storage space for uploading.
b. Bandwidth, etc....
c. BTC
In the early stages a node will offer a service and charge for bandwidth. Later on we implement proof of resource. Yes, the coins can be redeemed for what you mentioned.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.
April 03, 2014, 08:28:35 PM
Looks very interesting. Technical details are fuzzy for me but is it that you run a node and it works likes POS or is it like POW? Also what I think would be better that we were rewarded in coins that you could redeem either for:

a. More storage space for uploading.
b. Bandwidth, etc....
c. BTC
Activity: 330
Merit: 397
April 03, 2014, 08:24:45 PM
Do you really need a new cryptocurrency for this? I thought about how to build StorJ many times and at no point did I never need anything more than standard Bitcoin as it exists today.

You don't _technically_. But it is a very good way of funding a decentralized protocol economically. I personally think the ugliness to benefit ratio here is several orders of magnitude lower than something like proprietary software, mandatory fees or, satoshi cyber christ forbid, DRM.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Ron Gross
April 03, 2014, 03:12:59 PM
Great jobs guys.
Posted to reddit.
legendary
April 03, 2014, 09:58:33 AM
Using a new cryptocurrency to bootstrap it. It pretty much is standard Bitcoin just with just some extra data in the transaction, like Datacoin. We can store basic metadata about where the files are and their status.

This allows us to launch something now, and then we can get a little more creative, and remove our dependency on a blockchain. I've read gmaxwell's and jgarzik's writings over and over again. Love to hear your ideas.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
April 03, 2014, 08:43:50 AM
Activity: 345
Merit: 250
April 03, 2014, 08:11:10 AM
@super3
the link to the pdf
 /assets/paper/ComparisonofDropboxtoaDistributedStorageSystem.pdf

is a deadline :-(
legendary
April 03, 2014, 04:07:04 AM
Wow. Is this the new mining? Can I start buying terabytes of space, and convert my litecoin rig from 5 GPUs, to 6 hard drives? My motherboard has 6 SATA ports.

And I also do not have Facebook or Twitter.
Ha ha, perhaps someday soon. Perhaps it was a poor example.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
April 03, 2014, 03:52:59 AM
Wow. Is this the new mining? Can I start buying terabytes of space, and convert my litecoin rig from 5 GPUs, to 6 hard drives? My motherboard has 6 SATA ports.

And I also do not have Facebook or Twitter.
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
April 03, 2014, 02:22:43 AM
Not really, I'd venture to say competition doesn't exists at this point and may not ever exist. They will all seamlessly integrate through APIs. After all you probably have a Facebook AND a Twitter right? You might have a preference, but still use both.
Actually I have neither, but I get your point Tongue
legendary
April 03, 2014, 01:44:25 AM
Considering I have over 2 TB of space just on my normal hard drive, i'd love to use this. It looks really cool.
We have removed our whitepaper because we want to refine it a bit more. At least according to those numbers if you sold you hard drive at Dropbox prices you would make $2,000 a year off your 2 TB. You will be a very happy camper when we add proof of resource to Storj.

We aren't promising that quite yet as the computer science algorithms need a ton more work, but you might be able to run a web node (if you don't mind doing a decent amount of config) and make a nice sum of coins that way.
If there's decent documentation on how everything works I won't have a problem doing any of that stuff. I don't care how much I get paid really, as long as it's noticeable that something is happening. The problem is that the 2 TB is split between being half on my 2 TB hard drive and the other half on an empty 1 TB external. An easy solution would probably just be to partition my main drive.

EDIT: If you have any kind of beta for this, please let me know. I'd be eager to help work out bugs and just generally help with this.

EDITEDIT: I just looked on the website and entered my email, didn't see that before.
Our early supporters will get to play around with the web nodes. Those just get stuff working and allow you to play around with our platform.

Should not be a problem when we have our apps for that. We also plan on working with Maidsafe for the whole sell your hard drive part.
That's awesome, I seriously cannot wait until this and things like maidsafe are a thing. We're getting closer and closer to a decentralized internet, but I think one problem is going to be too many decentralized platforms that end up just competing with each other for users.
Not really, I'd venture to say competition doesn't exists at this point and may not ever exist. They will all seamlessly integrate through APIs. After all you probably have a Facebook AND a Twitter right? You might have a preference, but still use both.
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
April 03, 2014, 01:36:01 AM
Considering I have over 2 TB of space just on my normal hard drive, i'd love to use this. It looks really cool.
We have removed our whitepaper because we want to refine it a bit more. At least according to those numbers if you sold you hard drive at Dropbox prices you would make $2,000 a year off your 2 TB. You will be a very happy camper when we add proof of resource to Storj.

We aren't promising that quite yet as the computer science algorithms need a ton more work, but you might be able to run a web node (if you don't mind doing a decent amount of config) and make a nice sum of coins that way.
If there's decent documentation on how everything works I won't have a problem doing any of that stuff. I don't care how much I get paid really, as long as it's noticeable that something is happening. The problem is that the 2 TB is split between being half on my 2 TB hard drive and the other half on an empty 1 TB external. An easy solution would probably just be to partition my main drive.

EDIT: If you have any kind of beta for this, please let me know. I'd be eager to help work out bugs and just generally help with this.

EDITEDIT: I just looked on the website and entered my email, didn't see that before.
Our early supporters will get to play around with the web nodes. Those just get stuff working and allow you to play around with our platform.

Should not be a problem when we have our apps for that. We also plan on working with Maidsafe for the whole sell your hard drive part.
That's awesome, I seriously cannot wait until this and things like maidsafe are a thing. We're getting closer and closer to a decentralized internet, but I think one problem is going to be too many decentralized platforms that end up just competing with each other for users.
legendary
April 03, 2014, 01:09:38 AM

rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
April 03, 2014, 12:40:30 AM

legendary
April 03, 2014, 12:18:10 AM

legendary
April 03, 2014, 12:13:25 AM
Have been looking forward to hearing more about this project since the Texas Hackathon
great job guys
Been in stealth mode since then working on the web nodes. Now that they are working quite well we can start to talk about the project a little. We don't like the 2 weekstm model, so we only really talking about what we have working.

If you want more info you can sign up for the newsletter on storj.io
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
April 03, 2014, 12:11:16 AM
Jump to: