Author

Topic: [ANN] US/North American Bitfury sales NEW STOCK ***NOW SHIPPING*** - page 116. (Read 576772 times)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10
I'm curious to hear more details from people who have fried pi's.  Are you using older or inexpensive PSUs that are plugged directly into the wall or a high quality PSU plugged into an UPS?

Brand new (relatively) high quality 80%-efficiency with UPS.  I'm confident that my PSU is generating stable 12V for the mboard.  I measured the 5v power coming out of the m-board pins and going into the RPi.  It's weird... first it's at 5.39V but it keeps increasing every couple seconds.  In any case, 5.39V is beyond the maximum (5.25V)

What I'm finding is that the polyfuse F3 (near the micro-usb connector) gets really really hot - finger burning.  Is yours like that? 

What brand of PS and what brand of UPS?

rosewill rg-530, cyberpower ups

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
I'm curious to hear more details from people who have fried pi's.  Are you using older or inexpensive PSUs that are plugged directly into the wall or a high quality PSU plugged into an UPS?

Brand new (relatively) high quality 80%-efficiency with UPS.  I'm confident that my PSU is generating stable 12V for the mboard.  I measured the 5v power coming out of the m-board pins and going into the RPi.  It's weird... first it's at 5.39V but it keeps increasing every couple seconds.  In any case, 5.39V is beyond the maximum (5.25V)

What I'm finding is that the polyfuse F3 (near the micro-usb connector) gets really really hot - finger burning.  Is yours like that? 

What brand of PS and what brand of UPS?
Activity: 336
Merit: 250

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Fully-Modular-Performance-compatible-Phenom-OCZ-ZX1000W/dp/B004P1IWZU

Mine is OCZ ZX 1000, No ups.

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
I'm curious to hear more details from people who have fried pi's.  Are you using older or inexpensive PSUs that are plugged directly into the wall or a high quality PSU plugged into an UPS?
cet
Activity: 100
Ah geez I'm doing some research on this... interesting that on the raspberry pi forums, feeding power into the GPIO pins (like how our mboards are doing) is not recommended because it doesn't have any power protection. 

This is true, sort of.  But if your m-board has power issues then your likley to fry you h-boards.  Right now your worried about the $40 component when the smoke is coiming out of the $500 component.

/cet.
I've had an MB burn up two RasPi's.  Same symptoms - way too hot with way too much voltage into the Pi.  I'm betting it's the square chip slightly above the mini-USB connector - RG2 - that's doing the heating up.  That's the chip that got so hot on mine - so hot it heats up everything around it.  Two fried PIs...

Ah yes I remember you mentioned something about this in the past.  What did you end up doing?  I emailed Dave to see what he can do about the board and RPi

I also lost an rpi, it was cooked dead, wont power up by any means.  I had a spare pi but no spare M-board. running almost 2 days now on backup. I have reached out to MBP about this and am still waiting for response. I also have more rpi on the way, just in case.

Ah geez I'm doing some research on this... interesting that on the raspberry pi forums, feeding power into the GPIO pins (like how our mboards are doing) is not recommended because it doesn't have any power protection. 

Not suggesting this but, If the pins that power the pi were dissabled (snipped, bent, whatever), And we then power the pi via wall-wart, would it work? Or are those pins serving another purpose. I fully realize a modification to the M-board will void the warranty, Just an out loud thought turned into a post.

That's exactly what I'm thinking but on a simpler side of things...

Instead of snipping the pins, get a ribbon cable and connect between mboard and rpi.  Then snip the 5v lines of the ribbon.  The only question is... what about the 3v line?  I am guessing snip that too?

I've had an MB burn up two RasPi's.  Same symptoms - way too hot with way too much voltage into the Pi.  I'm betting it's the square chip slightly above the mini-USB connector - RG2 - that's doing the heating up.  That's the chip that got so hot on mine - so hot it heats up everything around it.  Two fried PIs...

Ah yes I remember you mentioned something about this in the past.  What did you end up doing?  I emailed Dave to see what he can do about the board and RPi

I also lost an rpi, it was cooked dead, wont power up by any means.  I had a spare pi but no spare M-board. running almost 2 days now on backup. I have reached out to MBP about this and am still waiting for response. I also have more rpi on the way, just in case.

Not suggesting this but, If the pins that power the pi were dissabled (snipped, bent, whatever), And we then power the pi via wall-wart, would it work? Or are those pins serving another purpose. I fully realize a modification to the M-board will void the warranty, Just an out loud thought turned into a post.

Also I dont like this Idea just from the point of having another plug.

Ah yes I remember you mentioned something about this in the past.  What did you end up doing?  I emailed Dave to see what he can do about the board and RPi

I also lost an rpi, it was cooked dead, wont power up by any means.  I had a spare pi but no spare M-board. running almost 2 days now on backup. I have reached out to MBP about this and am still waiting for response. I also have more rpi on the way, just in case.

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Anyone else hoping they come out with a new PCB colour for each batch/month? I would be at least 20% more willing to invest in equipment if it meant my rig became a massive rainbow  Shocked Grin

you shrooming bro?
+1 Smiley lolzz
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.
Hi Dave,

Would it be possible to get a data sheet with the thermal specs for the bitfury chip? Thanks
Activity: 574
I switched to a backup m-board and switched a RasPi that I had running just a few Block Erupters over to the BF.  Bought another off Amazon to have as a spare.  I also emailed Dave and made a return entry on the website, but haven't heard anything...

I've had no troubles with my second m-board and third RasPi (so far)... 

Activity: 574
I've had an MB burn up two RasPi's.  Same symptoms - way too hot with way too much voltage into the Pi.  I'm betting it's the square chip slightly above the mini-USB connector - RG2 - that's doing the heating up.  That's the chip that got very hot on mine - so hot it heats up everything around it.  Two fried PIs...
Can someone touch the external power port (it's mini-USB connector) on the RPi?  Is it burning hot?

I'm having issues with my RPi no longer turning on.  I don't know but I suspect that maybe the M-board is feeding too much power into the RPi.  I measured 5.40V across 5V and ground of the GPIO connector on the RPi (I guess this is the same as measuring at testpoint 1 and 2?) which is beyond its operating spec range.

Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Anyone else hoping they come out with a new PCB colour for each batch/month? I would be at least 20% more willing to invest in equipment if it meant my rig became a massive rainbow  Shocked Grin

you shrooming bro?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Activity: 76
I want to get a refund for my order 8xx, I contacted via shop but didn't get any replies.

I haven't got a refund yet, but I did get an email saying she was processing it.
Activity: 89
I want to get a refund for my order 8xx, I contacted via shop but didn't get any replies.
Jump to: