Author

Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network - page 558. (Read 1201332 times)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10
Looks interesting. Lots to read and take in so I may need to go over it again but for now Im watching.
Activity: 156
Merit: 236
Well this sure looks interesting.  I'll definitely be following this.
I am following and will be interested in mining when it starts.

Thank you for taking the time to read it all!

Will an AMD miner be the only option available or will some love be shown to the many Nvidia card miners?

The miner is a fork of an older version of cgminer with a rewritten kernel. It has been built for both AMD and nVidia cards, but it is likely that an optimized miner for nVidia cards will take a little finesse and a fork of ccminer.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008
Forget-about-it
Nice writeup, will be watching this. I enjoy seeing the timeline it says everything about the hard work.
legendary
Activity: 1049
Merit: 1001
I am following and will be interested in mining when it starts.

Will an AMD miner be the only option available or will some love be shown to the many Nvidia card miners?
legendary
Activity: 896
Well this sure looks interesting.  I'll definitely be following this.

Looks neat. Not sure the premine is the best idea, and airdrops have a somewhat notorious history in cryptoland, imo, but with that being said, I'd be happy to participate in this one Cheesy

Those are fair comments. The project struggled with this for a long time. Back in 2013, we thought about trying to get people to contribute financially to fund the development that way, but then there was an explosion of projects who ran off with people's money promising to build stuff. Some of them did build stuff and many more didn't. It was really important to not do that - the community's been battered to hell with all the scams.

But the question remained, how do you pay for real development work and produce something that is worthwhile, whilst not putting the community at risk if it can't be built? The best alternative was to do use what's being built for that purpose so the devs carry the risk and then give to the community the same amount (spread across those interested), so that there's a form of balance. Both these concepts, premine and airdrop have been abused, so we wanted to make sure that's avoided - hopefully people will see that we haven't asked them to carry risk for the devs in that way.

At the end of the day, I'd rather opt for a solution that gets new technology that isn't vaporware and tries to make improvements, remains sustainable in the long-term, and delivers something real in the end.
jcv
Activity: 34
Merit: 1
What is the origin and meaning of the name "Decred"? How is it pronounced?

tacotime came up with it while brainstorming with c0. If I remember correctly, it was on the topic of "decentralized credits". It's kind of taken on a meaning of its own now. It seems that most people who see it think it's pronounced "dee-cred".

In terms of the name, made up words are always nice since you don't have to translate them (an idea that goes back at least to Kodak if not earlier).

tacotime came up with it while brainstorming with c0. If I remember correctly, it was on the topic of "decentralized credits". It's kind of taken on a meaning of its own now. It seems that most people who see it think it's pronounced "dee-cred".
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Looks neat. Not sure the premine is the best idea, and airdrops have a somewhat notorious history in cryptoland, imo, but with that being said, I'd be happy to participate in this one Cheesy
ffs that is a lot to read.... about half way through it and it looks mighty interesting.

Hey billotronic, thanks for having a look! Sorry about it being super long - there's been so much going on around the code as well! Getting that across in a short way is a challenge that's hard to meet.

Can you elaborate on this for the airdrop?::
If you have contributed to the advancement of technology in its many forms, plan to, or are keen to participate in Decred, please ensure your URL links to material that demonstrates this.

With regards to your question, what Decred is hoping to do is get people involved who are doers - so it's not just a free-for-all giveaway. If you read it, and it resonates with you in some way, and you can see it growing from this foundation - in particular if can see yourself joining the project and being part of it, then you would qualify for the airdrop. Even just having an account that's been active in discourse on the issues, that's important and worthwhile.

The hope is to get people involved through the airdrop who are either interested in developing the actual Decred technology (software, etc.) or develop the project and governance in other ways. So that's really all it's about, trying to find people who are interested and want to walk this journey together. It's not going to be a project where those who were there first call all the shots - it's going to be open and collaborative. A place where contributing will reward.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
ffs that is a lot to read.... about half way through it and it looks mighty interesting.

If you have contributed to the advancement of technology in its many forms, plan to, or are keen to participate in Decred, please ensure your URL links to material that demonstrates this.

Looks interesting.. Need to read more.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
Crackpot Idealist

legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1240
Will be ready for this one
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
legendary
Activity: 1154

Decred staking/voting Pool:
StakePool.eu

Maintained by myself and Epsylon3, well known ccminer/cpu-miner developer.
Pool running in dedicated servers across disperse regions and providers.
Main discussion thread here.

Activity: 452
Merit: 251
I'm here too. Really sorry the images won't show - we'll try and fix that up (new accounts need higher posts for images).
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Good luck!

reserved
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
legendary
Activity: 1442
Reserved ; reading through the briefs as we speak.
Activity: 616
Merit: 503
@Mansa_Godson
tl;dr

edit: i should've read lol this project might be great
Jump to: