Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][NMC] Namecoin Wallet (QT) with integrated Name Registration v3.75 - page 13. (Read 78552 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
I think it is not only the downloading speed guilty but maybe some other factors:
- fragmentation of the local HD
- conflicting with some other installed drivers
I had also an unbelievable slow speed on native XP on a heavily used PC with a lot of installed programs but after I have put the same client in a clean newly installed VB(xubuntu) with relatively little resources on a normal HD(no SSD) the blockchain was downloaded in a half of day. The network which I used was exactly the same.
Khal already has a full configured VB with namecoind and the namecoin blockchain:
http://dot-bit.org/Bitbox
legendary
Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020
for over a week now, this coin client has been very hard to get from start down to 41 weeks remaining due to constant "not responding" with nothing else running in back ground even at times.Anyone else have this issue and how did you resolve?

seems you just need to leave it (when it's not responding).. have been experiencing it myself lately.. will hopefully be fixed sooner rather than later.. once the block chain is downloaded it's fine (the original namecoind also is the same from experience? [could be wrong]).. also seems that it's ok on linux (just not windows)

i guess (for now) , maybe phelix or khal can maybe add the blockchain as a download the the main site (if you trust it)

legendary
Activity: 1708
guess not, it needs the time. maybe there will a solution in the far future for this.

we could make a official website with the newest chain (like latest 7 days old) where people can download it. that would be a solution  Smiley

We would need someone trustworthy to sign it ....

The blockchain is somewhat self signing. What about chopping off the last 100 blocks from the downloaded archive? Should be pretty trustworthy if made sure the difficulty of the last 100 blocks is reasonable.

Correct if you run with the -loadblock= flag the first time after downloading the blockchain file ... any blockchain older than a day is missing the last 144 blocks ...
Interesting, I had not know about that. I wonder if it is implemented in Namecoin, though.

I meant chopping of the last blocks counted from the end of the file after checking the whole file. The idea is that it would be quite hard to fake the hashes for a hundred blocks. Maybe this has been done or discussed for Bitcoin before?

What about packaging the client with a blockchain up to the last checkpoint? Compressed blockchain is 337mb or so...
Activity: 526
Its all about the Gold
for over a week now, this coin client has been very hard to get from start down to 41 weeks remaining due to constant "not responding" with nothing else running in back ground even at times.Anyone else have this issue and how did you resolve?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Maybe sometime in the future you could add a local DNS server or alias too, to make it easier to browse .bit domains Cheesy

Hey great idea .. no-one has thought of that before ... maybe sometime in the future you could offer to help build it?
legendary
guess not, it needs the time. maybe there will a solution in the far future for this.

we could make a official website with the newest chain (like latest 7 days old) where people can download it. that would be a solution  Smiley

The blockchain is somewhat self signing. What about chopping off the last 100 blocks from the downloaded archive? Should be pretty trustworthy if made sure the difficulty of the last 100 blocks is reasonable.

Correct if you run with the -loadblock= flag the first time after downloading the blockchain file ... any blockchain older than a day is missing the last 144 blocks ...
Interesting, I had not know about that. I wonder if it is implemented in Namecoin, though.

I meant chopping of the last blocks counted from the end of the file after checking the whole file. The idea is that it would be quite hard to fake the hashes for a hundred blocks. Maybe this has been done or discussed for Bitcoin before?
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
This looks awesome, congrats on the great work!

Maybe sometime in the future you could add a local DNS server or alias too, to make it easier to browse .bit domains Cheesy
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo

legendary

legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo

we could make a official website with the newest chain (like latest 7 days old) where people can download it. that would be a solution  Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust

we could make a official website with the newest chain (like latest 7 days old) where people can download it. that would be a solution  Smiley
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
Load the origonal chain on a SSD the switch to a HDD when it's done. Took less than 2 hrs for me and didn't tax my PC at all.

Good plan. Linux users with lots of RAM (~4Gb or more) could use /dev/shm also I suppose.
Activity: 497
Load the origonal chain on a SSD the switch to a HDD when it's done. Took less than 2 hrs for me and didn't tax my PC at all.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000
Anything I can do to speed up synchro?  been running for hours and still 70 weeks to go.

yep, same here. it's really exhausting to watch the synch speed Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1807
took me a long time to download the blockchain.. but once it's done.. it's done Smiley (maybe make a backup of it to)
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Anything I can do to speed up synchro?  been running for hours and still 70 weeks to go.
legendary
In Satoshi I Trust
using win7 and the programm is very laggy and slows down the pc when updating. maybe you can fix that in the future

seems as fast as any other big blockchain coins to me.. (maybe a bit slower)

when Khal has finished rebasing namecoin on bitcoin 0.8, it should be faster

during the time qt consumes a lot of system resources (more than by running and is almost freezing everything) but its ok for now. i know that the qt is under developing and that it needs time. ill be patient  Smiley

An SSD will help a lot because of all the random disk accesses. You can try to start with the -dbcache . For example to use 500MB cache change your start menu entry to:
Code:
namecoin-qt.exe -dbcache 500

ok, thank you
legendary
using win7 and the programm is very laggy and slows down the pc when updating. maybe you can fix that in the future

seems as fast as any other big blockchain coins to me.. (maybe a bit slower)

when Khal has finished rebasing namecoin on bitcoin 0.8, it should be faster

during the time qt consumes a lot of system resources (more than by running and is almost freezing everything) but its ok for now. i know that the qt is under developing and that it needs time. ill be patient  Smiley

An SSD will help a lot because of all the random disk accesses. You can try to start with the -dbcache . For example to use 500MB cache change your start menu entry to:
Code:
namecoin-qt.exe -dbcache 500

Activity: 504
With my new setting on a new computers virtual environment it is running now super fast.
AMD-70 Ubuntu 12.04 basic system -> allocated for VirtualBox machine 1 processor core and 512 Mb RAM and installed Xubuntu 10.04 -> on Wine started the compiled Namecoin client for windows
It is running much faster than on the old computer with native windows XP. No crash at all. Starting and stopping in seconds.
Very good work snailbrain. Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: