Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][NMC] Namecoin Wallet (QT) with integrated Name Registration v3.75 - page 8. (Read 78552 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C
Yo snailbrain, thanks for the reply man - this is driving me nuts. OK, here's what I get:

git checkout namecoin-qt  -  produces:  D       project/namecoin-qt.pro
                                                       D       project/run_qmake.bat
                                                       Already on 'namecoin-qt'

cd project  -  no problem

qmake "USE_UPNP=-"  -  produces:        

Usage: qmake [mode] [options] [files]

QMake has two modes, one mode for generating project files based on
some heuristics, and the other for generating makefiles. Normally you
shouldn't need to specify a mode, as makefile generation is the default
mode for qmake, but you may use this to test qmake on an existing project

Mode:
  -project       Put qmake into project file generation mode
                 In this mode qmake interprets files as files to
                 be built,
                 defaults to *.c; *.ui; *.y; *.l; *.ts; *.xlf; *.qrc; *.h; *.hpp; *.hh; *.hxx; *.H; *.cpp; *.cc; *.cxx; *.C
                 Note: The created .pro file probably will
                 need to be edited. For example add the QT variable to
                 specify what modules are required.
  -makefile      Put qmake into makefile generation mode (default)
                 In this mode qmake interprets files as project files to
                 be processed, if skipped qmake will try to find a project
                 file in your current working directory

Warnings Options:
  -Wnone         Turn off all warnings; specific ones may be re-enabled by
                 later -W options
  -Wall          Turn on all warnings
  -Wparser       Turn on parser warnings
  -Wlogic        Turn on logic warnings (on by default)
  -Wdeprecated   Turn on deprecation warnings (on by default)

Options:
   * You can place any variable assignment in options and it will be     *
   * processed as if it was in [files]. These assignments will be parsed *
   * before [files].                                                     *
  -o file        Write output to file
  -d             Increase debug level
  -t templ       Overrides TEMPLATE as templ
  -tp prefix     Overrides TEMPLATE so that prefix is prefixed into the value
  -help          This help
  -v             Version information
  -after         All variable assignments after this will be
                 parsed after [files]
  -norecursive   Don't do a recursive search
  -recursive     Do a recursive search
  -set Set persistent property
  -unset  Unset persistent property
  -query  Query persistent property. Show all if is empty.
  -cache file    Use file as cache           [makefile mode only]
  -spec spec     Use spec as QMAKESPEC       [makefile mode only]
  -nocache       Don't use a cache file      [makefile mode only]
  -nodepend      Don't generate dependencies [makefile mode only]
  -nomoc         Don't generate moc targets  [makefile mode only]
  -nopwd         Don't look for files in pwd [project mode only]

None of which I understand as I've never used qmake before so never had to worry about it. There's no mention of this in the tutorial either. I know I sound like a complete assnoob, but I've so far managed to compile every cryptocoin client there is bar this one - what am I doing wrong here my man? Talking to me like a 10 year old would be beneficial too........ Grin

Edit: My namecoin build does have a project folder - that's where the guide is correct though. If there's not supposed to be a project folder, where does git download the files to? And why does the guide mention the project folder if it's not supposed to be there? It would be nice if there was just one definitive guide that just works, instead of a mix of several that might/might not work depending on what guide you originally followed eh?   Grin
legendary
Activity: 1807
Merit: 1020
Hey Guys,

Copy/Paste from Namecoin forum - hoping to get a bit of a response here instead.....

Quote: "I've been using namecoind v3.5 for some time now with no problems on Xubuntu 12.04 64bit & decided to upgrade to the latest QT v 3.71, but am getting many warnings & errors while compiling. I have all the dependences installed as described & have followed the tutorial here:

http://dot-bit.org/BuildNamecoinQTFromSource

I have also tried using the standard unix compile of: "make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP= namecoin-qt", both from within the namecoind project folder & from within namecoinq's own folder - without success.

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated, as I'm much more comfortable with a GUI based wallet than I am with a command-line one." Unquote.

If I use the commands in the above dot-bit tutorial link I just get a list of qmake instructions that mean nothing to me. All I want to do is build namecoin-qt without upnp support, but every tutorial so far fails for me, if someone could tell me the exact syntax to use I would be eternally grateful.

Peace. Grin

in namecoinq (or namecoin-qt) folder, to compile qt:

qmake "USE_UPNP=-"
make

that should just work on linux.. post your error message (the warnings are "normal") -- note that there no longer is a project folder as per the guide
Activity: 686
WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C
Hey Guys,

Copy/Paste from Namecoin forum - hoping to get a bit of a response here instead.....

Quote: "I've been using namecoind v3.5 for some time now with no problems on Xubuntu 12.04 64bit & decided to upgrade to the latest QT v 3.71, but am getting many warnings & errors while compiling. I have all the dependences installed as described & have followed the tutorial here:

http://dot-bit.org/BuildNamecoinQTFromSource

I have also tried using the standard unix compile of: "make -f makefile.unix USE_UPNP= namecoin-qt", both from within the namecoind project folder & from within namecoinq's own folder - without success.

Any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated, as I'm much more comfortable with a GUI based wallet than I am with a command-line one." Unquote.

If I use the commands in the above dot-bit tutorial link I just get a list of qmake instructions that mean nothing to me. All I want to do is build namecoin-qt without upnp support, but every tutorial so far fails for me, if someone could tell me the exact syntax to use I would be eternally grateful.

Peace. Grin
legendary
Activity: 1708
Ahh. The GUI was not official yet I guess. Still we should polish the instructions above and put them on the wiki. Maybe a link to it from within the Bitmessage options.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
legendary
Damn I can't remember where I read that. He basically said now you can lookup addresses but getting them in is very tricky.
legendary
Thanks That was easy. Why'd they say it was almost impossible to do it?
You mean registering an id? Who said so?

This will only get widespread use if people can use a public nmc dns server. Running an nmc node is too much for most users. Why couldn't we use ahacked dns like bitpop.bitmessage.bit and a txt record
Because it's not safe as it goes over ip. With Namecoin TLS it might be but then you would need the client for that...

IMHO the client only uses an ok amount of resources once it finished syncing. You are of course welcome to develop or fund development of a lite client / server side solution.  Smiley
legendary
This will only get widespread use if people can use a public nmc dns server. Running an nmc node is too much for most users. Why couldn't we use ahacked dns like bitpop.bitmessage.bit and a txt record
legendary
Thanks That was easy. Why'd they say it was almost impossible to do it?

Alright how do I make my dns record?

I figured you can do it this way with namecoin-qt:
1) go to manage names, add change the "New name" field "d/" to "id/yourid" (change "yourid" to the id you want to register. use lowercase)
2) click submit
3) a window is opened where you can enter the json for your identity. Format from the wiki (http://dot-bit.org/Namespace:Identity):

{"bitmessage":"BM-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"}

After you submit that, you'll get your identity after 12 blocks.

http://dot-bit.org/Namespace:Identity

legendary
Being just programming savvy enough to usually get myself into trouble I for one would love a 'Howto .bit for absolute morons' with examples on the entire process for setting up a .bit domain with forward for existing .com etc. domain
This is probably not possible. You have to direct the name to your ip address and set up the .bit name as an "external domain" with your webhoster or directly with your webserver.

This should be noted on the documentation. ppl thinks it is possible and unintentionally add trash to the blockchain (that's what i did).
Please go ahead Wink
Activity: 477
Being just programming savvy enough to usually get myself into trouble I for one would love a 'Howto .bit for absolute morons' with examples on the entire process for setting up a .bit domain with forward for existing .com etc. domain
This is probably not possible. You have to direct the name to your ip address and set up the .bit name as an "external domain" with your webhoster or directly with your webserver.

This should be noted on the documentation. ppl thinks it is possible and unintentionally add trash to the blockchain (that's what i did).
legendary

I figured you can do it this way with namecoin-qt:
1) go to manage names, add change the "New name" field "d/" to "id/yourid" (change "yourid" to the id you want to register. use lowercase)
2) click submit
3) a window is opened where you can enter the json for your identity. Format from the wiki (http://dot-bit.org/Namespace:Identity):

{"bitmessage":"BM-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"}

After you submit that, you'll get your identity after 12 blocks.

http://dot-bit.org/Namespace:Identity
legendary
legendary
Can you use it without a daemon and give it a dns server?
No, the dns server will not serve the bitmessage addresses.

It would be nice to have a lite Namecoin client or a "name server" but these are not yet available. Khal made a suggestion to use NMControl with static data and run the client once a day or so to export name data.

Where I am currently:

1. I have registered the .bit domain through the newest QT wallet. It reports that both name_firstname and name_newname transactions are done
2. I used the {\"translate\":\"www.example.com.\"} variable to set the .bit name to a currently existing and live website address
3. ??

I assume from what I can tell that I need to set nameservers. Problem is, what name servers?

About that last question; is it ok to get the nameservers from 'dig' - commands 'authority' section?

Let me quess; it is NOT ok. And if it is not ok, the documentation should be fixed ASAP, before the namecoin block chain is filled with bogus, not working tried-to-translate DNS settings.

Documentation does not specify what the DNS is for; is it to handle the .bit query or is it for handling the translated query. My first quess was that it is for handling the translated query, but maybe it is not and it should also be capable of handling .bit TLD also? Maybe it is the DNS server that *should* make the actual translation? The documentation does not help here, too lazy to start reading the source or white papers..
legendary
Can you use it without a daemon and give it a dns server?
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1208
I support freedom of choice
legendary
Will it use my local daemon?

The latest version of Bitmessage (v0.4.0) has now a function to use/connect to Namecoin Smiley
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1208
I support freedom of choice
The latest version of Bitmessage (v0.4.0) has now a function to use/connect to Namecoin Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: