Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 594420 times)

legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892
Satoshi directly contributed to two digital currencies, Bitcoin and Namecoin.

He did not "contribute" to Namecoin in any way. Stop trying to rewrite history.

Anybody can read the BitDNS threads and decide.

That is not Namecoin, it's BitDNS, which wasn't even his idea. He just chimed in a few suggestions on how a BitDNS would work -- this was before the creation of Namecoin, which again, he had nothing to do with.

Bitcoin was an example of how a 'pseudo commodity', could be created in a fair way if a person trusts the underlying cryptography.

But aside from that, bitcoin does absolutely nothing.

Namecoin has vastly important uses,

The market disagrees with this take by a near infinite ratio.

and that is probably why Satoshi contributed to BitDNS.

He didn't even "contribute" to BitDNS, because BitDNS never existed. It was just an idea.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Does anyone here use electrum wallet and is it working ok for you regarding getting a connection?

A lot of electrum wallets get stopped by computer firewalls, may work on one computer, not another.

A lot of deleted posts, a few edited posts, a ban, wow this thread certainly attracts a lot of drama.

Nope, without convincing proof that satoshi is vinced, he did not.

He simply chimed in his thoughts in an ongoing discussion about BitDNS, which preceded and is entirely separate from Namecoin.
You shouldn't assume I didn't see your FUD a few weeks ago, but everyone embarrasses themselves as best they can! All I can say in response is that you haven't contributed anything to the Namecoin project so far - other than sending merits here and spreading FUD. So on topic, Satoshi is not vinced. Before you keep spreading FUD, you should start reading at the initial post of this thread: Namecoin is a naming system based on bitcoin with a few modifications.  It is inspired by the bitdns discussion. Namecoin wasn't created out of thin air, and undoubtedly Satoshi's contributions were the most important, as cited especially with regard to the proposal of merged mining.

This was the comment I was referring to in the above quote:

But every BitcoinTalk member should know that even Satoshi Nakamoto contributed on this project

This is factually incorrect and its not "FUD" to call it out as such. Satoshi was gone from the public eye before Namecoin was released. There is no record of him lending a hand in the building of the Namecoin software, other than he created the software from which NMC was forked. Because he floated a few substantial ideas in the BitDNS thread it does not mean he "contributed on" Namecoin. He contributed ideas to BitDNS -- no programming or development.

This line is just used by some of the more dishonest peddlers of re-registered NMC assets as "Historical NFTs" to pump their bags. Dunno why Trade Runner deleted all his posts, but anyway, it is worth clarifying for the record.

Also for the record I think the old domains and names are kind of cool. I liken it to "would you want to re-register askjeeves.com if given the chance?" Sure, it would be fun to own as a historical collectible. It has an interesting story behind it and collector value. They are cool in their own right; no need to artificially inflate their significance with some verbal slight-of-hand.

Alright I guess that wraps er up for now, see you all in a year or so Cheesy

Satoshi directly contributed to two digital currencies, Bitcoin and Namecoin.

Anybody can read the BitDNS threads and decide.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitdns-in-the-words-of-satoshi-6197

In fact of Satoshi's last 12 comments, 7 involved BitDNS

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/satoshi-3

Bitcoin was an example of how a 'pseudo commodity', could be created in a fair way if a person trusts the underlying cryptography.

But aside from that, bitcoin does absolutely nothing.

Namecoin has vastly important uses, and that is probably why Satoshi contributed to BitDNS.

Ethereum Name Service is a very weak imitation of Namecoin. It cannot be cloned for use by local groups who want to create their own economies etc which will be the main future use of Namecoin.

https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2024/01/03/ens-token-jumps-50-as-vitalik-buterin-hails-it-as-super-important/

Very very soon Europe will be in chaos.

The United States has been preparing by hardening and militarizing its police.

Namecoin would potentially smooth a lot of bumps, coins dependent on another chain would not.

Activity: 139
Merit: 2
Does anyone here use electrum wallet and is it working ok for you regarding getting a connection?
legendary
Activity: 1488
Merit: 1019
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
legendary
Activity: 1488
Merit: 1019
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
How is this old-school coin doing? Namecoin from the days when Elon Musk didn't know bitcoin existed and was a normal person)
1ad
Activity: 64
NMC got listed on Knolix Crypto Auction

https://knolix.com/crypto-auction

Have fun
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1238
Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com
You should learn English BayAreaCoins because you either misread or don't understand the language.  You should read everything twice before speaking.  

You're probably right.

On the other hand, I'm the only one who uses your exchange, so please stop spamming in this topic.  Almost every one of your comments contains a spam link.

Uh ya, I'm a spammer big dog... <3 Get rich or die spamming!  jk, I'm just trying my little heart out to have more Namecoins to sell to folks.  People keep buying them when they are offered.  I feel like I owe it to our buyer to try to bring in more coins for sale.

You filth.  Cool

I identify as greasy <3

legendary
On another note, who is interested to get NFT running on Namecoin?

God, please no. lol

If it's funded by any secret service... wouldn't they be pretty flush with funds.  Roll Eyes

We could use some secret service liquidity on our namecoin exchange: https://altquick.com/market/Namecoin

I've been sold out on Namecoins for a while now.  People can basically sell for what they want to at the moment (well, offer to sell.)
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
On another note, who is interested to get NFT running on Namecoin?
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
It is not, but I think there are no important objections.

Daniel Kraft, what the fuck is this supposed to mean?

All objections are significant, especially given that you and Jeremy Rand control the namecoin.org domain as well as the GitHub repository where you are both happy censoring "objections" using the Namecoin username.

They claim to be advocates for "free speech," but they completely delete objections, ban users, and so on.

Daniel Kraft and Jeremy Rand's mere existence is an insult to our intelligence!

We need to get rid of these rotten apples and start working on Namecoin without these scumbags!

They just merging from upstream Bitcoin Core some improvements into Namecoin "Core" and pretending to be "Namecoin developers".

They are scam artists and criminals who beg for money under the guise of working on Namecoin.

Daniel Kraft, you should focus on Xaya and ignore the Namecoin community because you and Jeremy Rand bring nothing but toxicity here.

Speaking of namecoin.org, it is hosted in Europe's sole dictatorship, Hungary.

Code:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;namecoin.org. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
namecoin.org. 3600 IN A 91.219.237.223

Code:
{
  "ip": "91.219.237.223",
  "hostname": "sa1541.serverastra.com",
  "city": "Budapest",
  "region": "Budapest",
  "country": "HU",
  "loc": "47.4984,19.0404",
  "org": "AS56322 ServerAstra Kft.",
  "postal": "1066",
  "timezone": "Europe/Budapest",
}

It is appears that Jeremy Rand in fact working with Eastern European secret services, he does operating "DNS seeds" in Slovakia as well which he and Daniel Kraft hard coded into Namecoin "Core".

Hungary has been ruled by a fascist dictator, Viktor Orban, for well over a decade, with secret services kidnapping people from their homes, foreign organizations effectively banned, media completely censored if not dissolved by the government, and the country well-known for torturing and brutally beating refugees, women, men, children, and the elderly, among other things.  Not to mention the electrified 520+ km long NATO razor fences along the southern border.

At this point, I propose that namecoin.org be shut down and the GitHub repository archived so that others can work on Namecoin without being centralized and controlled by idiots who host the website in a fascist dictatorship in Hungary and the DNS seeds in Slovakia, which intentionally sends fighter jets to neo-nazis in Ukraine to start a third world war.

I demand that namecoin.org be shut down, as well as the Twitter channel @namecoin, which should be deleted along with all tweets, and that the GitHub repository be closed as archived, and that Jeremy Rand and Daniel Kraft stop begging for money while censoring, defaming, doxxing, and threatening Namecoin users, as well as leaking information to Eastern European secret services about the users.

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]

Why are you even expanding the efforts?
Activity: 196
Merit: 104
This thread is largely populated with clever saboteurs
Says the person suggesting a 3-way fork Roll Eyes
legendary
Traderunner and others who actually try to do something, whether or not you like their subproject, are ultimately driven away by the morons who appear to be trying to sabotage the coin.

Um, what has TradeRunner done or what service has he provided?
Activity: 13
A general suggestion for Namecoin.

Create three hardforks which can all use the same wallet if a person has all three blockchains.

Fork 1 Classic Namecioin.
No different than the current one except it has a button that says "clone/fork" and when you press it there is a pop up that says "Would you like to create a clone with a new genesis block, or fork at a certain block?"

Fork 2 New Namecoin
A fork of classic with all existing coins reduced by one or two decimal points, and an increasing emission curve which would solve the massive problem 'satoshi' created without confusing everybody the way freicoin did.

Namecoin's distribution is not as bad as bitcoin or ethereum but because there are large holders in Eastern Europe, a decimal point shift would reduce the pressure put by the U.S. on exchanges to not list Namecoin.

Fork 3 Fair Namecoin
New genesis block but with an updated emission curve to create a fair economy.
Start with a 1 million coin donation to a charity to create an initial supply for traders. Make sure the trading algorithm the charity uses is fully public, like place 10k coins at every integer fraction, and when a lot sells place a buy order at 70% of that level with 95% of the money and use the remaining 5% to feed elephants.

This thread is largely populated with clever saboteurs, but Namecoin could be an important coin if it were made practical and useful.

Most of the commenting on the thread is stupidity. For example the whole profit aspect of coins is that you buy coins and squat on them until you can sell them for a profit. Coin squatting, keeping coins without trying to use them, is the toxicity of coin economies. Squatting on .bit names is quite a bit riskier but if somebody can do it profitably they are smarter than a coin squatter.

Traderunner and others who actually try to do something, whether or not you like their subproject, are ultimately driven away by the morons who appear to be trying to sabotage the coin.

edit
On chain arbitrage between the three chains would let people diversify, and if 10% of the 1 million charity coins were used to create a permanent arbitrage market between the coins, at a very high price initially then slowly declining, it would create a solid floor* in the price of all three forks if the charity traders placed buy orders at the right levels.
*Floor vs whatever outside currency is used on an exchange, and floor for the charity fork vs the other two forks.

Also Satoshi was at least one of the top ten people involved in the process of creating Namecoin.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitdns-in-the-words-of-satoshi-6197

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitdns-bounty-3500-btc-2072

It's completely meaningless except that the celebrity factor is 99% of the value of a lot of coins, and Namecoin is the only coin aside from bitcoin that has that celebrity endorsement.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 6012
Decentralization Maximalist
Thank you for your answer! I would love to see progress on this (I'm not part of the Ordinals project, and see some parts of it skeptically, at last on Bitcoin, but it is interesting).

Of course one can't predict if a relocation of Ordinals to Namecoin would have the desired success, as NFTs' value proposition has much to do with things like "prestige", and thus a NFT on the "OG Bitcoin" blockchain (as I've read it) may definitively push the value of some of these "digital artifacts" a bit. But maybe it's worth a try. Of course, other bitcoin-style blockchains like GRS (where Taproot, afaik, is already activated) can also be used, but I see a better fit for NMC due to it having been developed specifically for non-financial purposes, because Namecoin names have already had some exposition in the NFT "scene", and because it's merged-mined with BTC and so it could be viewed as an "extension chain" of "OG Bitcoin".
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161
A question: Was Taproot activated in Namecoin?

The reason I ask is because in theory Namecoin would be the ideal place for the Ordinals project and above all their Inscription feature ("save art on the blockchain"). It's a chain which always was linked to unique things (names, identities, domains ...) and thus the NFT concept would be a good fit, or not? Ordinals would need Taproot to work, although a similar feature could perhaps be built with OP_RETURN if the limit isn't too low on NMC.

It is not, but I think there are no important objections.  It just needs to be scheduled and coordinated with miners.  (And due to a conflict with merge mining, versionbits is not working on Namecoin (yet), so the activation code itself would have to be modified to be based on a block height or timestamp, but that is of course not a big issue.)  I expect that it will be activated sooner or later, just like Segwit was.

Your point about ordinals is a very interesting one.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 6012
Decentralization Maximalist
A question: Was Taproot activated in Namecoin?

The reason I ask is because in theory Namecoin would be the ideal place for the Ordinals project and above all their Inscription feature ("save art on the blockchain"). It's a chain which always was linked to unique things (names, identities, domains ...) and thus the NFT concept would be a good fit, or not? Ordinals would need Taproot to work, although a similar feature could perhaps be built with OP_RETURN if the limit isn't too low on NMC.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 7892
A lot of deleted posts, a few edited posts, a ban, wow this thread certainly attracts a lot of drama.

Nope, without convincing proof that satoshi is vinced, he did not.

He simply chimed in his thoughts in an ongoing discussion about BitDNS, which preceded and is entirely separate from Namecoin.
You shouldn't assume I didn't see your FUD a few weeks ago, but everyone embarrasses themselves as best they can! All I can say in response is that you haven't contributed anything to the Namecoin project so far - other than sending merits here and spreading FUD. So on topic, Satoshi is not vinced. Before you keep spreading FUD, you should start reading at the initial post of this thread: Namecoin is a naming system based on bitcoin with a few modifications.  It is inspired by the bitdns discussion. Namecoin wasn't created out of thin air, and undoubtedly Satoshi's contributions were the most important, as cited especially with regard to the proposal of merged mining.

This was the comment I was referring to in the above quote:

But every BitcoinTalk member should know that even Satoshi Nakamoto contributed on this project

This is factually incorrect and its not "FUD" to call it out as such. Satoshi was gone from the public eye before Namecoin was released. There is no record of him lending a hand in the building of the Namecoin software, other than he created the software from which NMC was forked. Because he floated a few substantial ideas in the BitDNS thread it does not mean he "contributed on" Namecoin. He contributed ideas to BitDNS -- no programming or development.

This line is just used by some of the more dishonest peddlers of re-registered NMC assets as "Historical NFTs" to pump their bags. Dunno why Trade Runner deleted all his posts, but anyway, it is worth clarifying for the record.

Also for the record I think the old domains and names are kind of cool. I liken it to "would you want to re-register askjeeves.com if given the chance?" Sure, it would be fun to own as a historical collectible. It has an interesting story behind it and collector value. They are cool in their own right; no need to artificially inflate their significance with some verbal slight-of-hand.

Alright I guess that wraps er up for now, see you all in a year or so Cheesy
Activity: 139
Merit: 2
Can any namecoiner tell me what is the safest exact place to download electrum wallet please?TIA
legendary
BayAreaCoins' swap have for you 150 Namecoin, go and get them quick: https://altquick.com/swap/

Someone sold a whole 14 NMC too today on swap today.

I'm adding to NMC's main AltQuick markets liquidity, slowly but surely.

Anyone can place an order for any amount they want for your Namecoin.  We need more market makers.
Pages:
Jump to: