Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] New alternate cryptocurrency - Geist Geld - page 12. (Read 74170 times)

ama
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
It's working for me, without the trailing / :
Code:
ggd -datadir=/home/ama/.gg

It does not make any difference.  It shouldn't anyway.  I always add the trailing end to directory paths.

~$ ggd -daemon -datadir=/home/ama/.gg
Bitcoin: Unable to bind to port 8333 on this computer.  Bitcoin is probably already running.

It seems like I was running the Bitcoin binary instead of the GEG one.  But I clone the sources directory with:

git clone https://github.com/Lolcust/GeistGeld.git

And compiled inside of the GeistGeld/src.  I got a binary called 'bitcoind', though.

I followed the same procedure I follow to compile Bitcoin, Namecoin, Solidcoin, I0coin, and Ixcoin.  I've compiled all of the several times and I never had any problem.  Is there something special I need to do for GEG which is different of the rest, please?
Activity: 445
Merit: 250
It's working for me, without the trailing / :
Code:
ggd -datadir=/home/ama/.gg
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Let me try the suggestions out 2mor, am also very interested to see GG coins work in Linux.  Hopefully I will have some good news for you
Merit: 11
Hillariously voracious
Hm, could you post the contents of the config you are using with Geist to www.pastebin.com ?
ama
Um, did you try putting quotes?

:~$ ggd -datadir="/home/ama/.gg/" ?

Maybe try using a different  datadir name, one with no dot in it (random suggestion) ?

It'd be the first program (and *coin) needing either quotes or a non-hidden directory.

~$ ggd -daemon -datadir="/home/ama/gg/"
Bitcoin: Unable to bind to port 8333 on this computer.  Bitcoin is probably already running.
Hillariously voracious
Um, did you try putting quotes?

:~$ ggd -datadir="/home/ama/.gg/" ?

Maybe try using a different  datadir name, one with no dot in it (random suggestion) ?
ama
use the full path to datadir

I also had tried that.  It does not make any difference:

:~$ ggd -datadir=/home/ama/.gg/
Activity: 406
Merit: 257
Create your datadir. Make sure it's empty. put Geist's config there. Start geist with -datadir="path_to_datadir"

Do not pass port as startup option - config should be taking care of that.

If you did everything right, it will creater a testnet folder in the datadir which you specified and connect to channel #geistgeld00

It doesn't seem to:

~$ ggd -datadir=.gg/

That's why I also try seting the port on the command line.
use the full path to datadir
ama
Create your datadir. Make sure it's empty. put Geist's config there. Start geist with -datadir="path_to_datadir"

If you did everything right, it will creater a testnet folder in the datadir which you specified and connect to channel #geistgeld00

It doesn't seem to:

~$ ggd -datadir=.gg/

That's why I also try seting the port on the command line.
Hillariously voracious
How do you run GEG with the same user on the same box as you also run Bitcoin on Unix?  I've downloaded the sources with git, compiled them and when running the daemon, even indicating a different --datadir and port (8335) it seems to connect to the Bitcoin network.  Are there any documentation on how to run both simultaneously, please?

A different datadir should force it to do everything okay.

ama
How do you run GEG with the same user on the same box as you also run Bitcoin on Unix?  I've downloaded the sources with git, compiled them and when running the daemon, even indicating a different --datadir and port (8335) it seems to connect to the Bitcoin network.  Are there any documentation on how to run both simultaneously, please?
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
BTW is there any step by step instructions on mining Geist Geld with linuxcoin?  the current binaries seem to be for Windows only
Hillariously voracious
First bounty: Update Notifier

You already have one! You just failed to use your own public key instead of Satoshi's key:
https://github.com/Lolcust/GeistGeld/blob/multimergemine2/src/main.h#L1578

Hm... interesting, I PMed you.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032

You already have one! You just failed to use your own public key instead of Satoshi's key:
https://github.com/Lolcust/GeistGeld/blob/multimergemine2/src/main.h#L1578
Activity: 34
Merit: 0

One of the things Geist Geld desperately needs to avert various unfavorable experiences down the line is a means to somewhat meticulously and insistently (within reason) notify the user if the majority of peers he is connected to have a version different from his own.

This will help to draw the user's attention to the fact that his version is lagging behind the general Geist Geld frontier and he'd better catch up until something bad happened.

The bounty on this one is 69 777  Geists, and of course proper credit in the  Contributors section of the website (which gonna go up real soon)

Meanwhile, I would ask the kind community to provide feedback as to possible pitfalls and implementation suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance

Wouldn't it be easier/more reliable to build a check into the client against a file on the website? Then you'd know as soon as you start the client if its out of date or not.

Hillariously voracious
Site's up and running... Guess it's time to catch a nap.
Hillariously voracious
*cough* 150 thousand? *cough*

Considering that we're around block 40000 (=280k mined), doesn't that seem like a bit much? The person who does it suddenly has ~1/3rd of the entire mining supply?

We need that thing fast, like, really soon. Because quite frankly when the exchange opens, we might have quite an influx of users who will later be quite careless to check for updates.

Need I remind that we still seem to have a few guys without ntp=1 (I wonder if we still have somebody bravely trawling Chain 1 Sad )

And I have reasons to believe that  kinks in the exchange will be sorted out pretty damn soon, and coding and testing that thing will likely take quite some time (so, more like ~ 1/4, the brave programmer will have)

EDIT: Decided to slightly tone it down to 69 777 so that nobody gets too nervous and the number is still kinda pretty  Wink...Hope that a kind skilled soul with a keen interest in Geist Geld (and Geists) will still show up soon enough ...
Activity: 237
Merit: 100
*cough* 150 thousand? *cough*

Considering that we're around block 40000 (=280k mined), doesn't that seem like a bit much? The person who does it suddenly has ~1/3rd of the entire mining supply?
Hillariously voracious

One of the things Geist Geld desperately needs to avert various unfavorable experiences down the line is a means to somewhat meticulously and insistently (within reason) notify the user if the majority of peers he is connected to have a version different from his own.

This will help to draw the user's attention to the fact that his version is lagging behind the general Geist Geld frontier and he'd better catch up until something bad happened.

The bounty on this one is 69 777  Geists, and of course proper credit in the  Contributors section of the website (which gonna go up real soon)

Meanwhile, I would ask the kind community to provide feedback as to possible pitfalls and implementation suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
I made a vector version of the original Geist Geld logo in adobe illustrator.
So next release perhaps you can put some high res logos in there?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2780360/GGlogo.ai

OI, thanks, I already vectorized my original doodle, but your work is very appreciated Smiley I'll see which turned out best... Oh, could you please save it in svg, (open source, all that jazz Smiley )
Your welcome!
Here it is in svg format.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2780360/GGlogo%20-%20Copy.svg
Btw, I would be surprised if mine turns out better. I've never done this before Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: