Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] New alternate cryptocurrency - Geist Geld - page 15. (Read 74170 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 11
Hillariously voracious
Hm, the RPC error is quite bizzare - I successfully connect GUIminer "out of the zip" (though its option saving is apparently weird and I have to re-input port every time it restarts). Sent ya some geists

Isepick - I guess your router be playing tricks on ya, especially if strange connection behavior is not limited to Geist's port and also happens for Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
probably need to add 'server=1" to the config file ... (and server config settings also if not in there)
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
As u can see in the picture, the copy option is greyed out. So their is no way to copy & paste the address. I manually wrote the address now.
Besides, after i give exit, GG closes, but windows gives error message that the software closed unexpectedly & want to check solution.
I am using the new version released on 13 sep 2011 GeistGeld_New.zip.

I extracted to a folder & run GeistGeld_portable_cons.exe & It starts downloading blocks & it works fine that way.
getinfo now gave the following result.
version:32400
balance:0.00000
blocks:20523
connection:11
difficulty:104.3888

I tried to mine myself using the built in guiminer. But it only opens the roaming\poclbm\poclbm.ini file & uses that config to mine.
& if i try to mine with local host, i get

Code:
2011-09-17 09:23:24: Listener for "GG": 17/09/2011 09:23:24, Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC 1 2
2011-09-17 09:23:27: Listener for "GG": 17/09/2011 09:23:27, Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC 2 2
2011-09-17 09:23:30: Listener for "GG": 17/09/2011 09:23:30, Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC 3 2

How to mine solo?
And also if some one can send me one or two GG, so that i too see my balance increase.
Below is the address i manually typed from the picture as copy paste not working.
Please double check before sending GG.

gJ9G2BCrxeSguNsck9Toy9tKtiyFT5Wwhv

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

Hm, that's odd.

What's the platform and did you try disabling unpnp in the config ?

Can you check your firewall logs or just get what's running (I think it provides connection info...)

Disabled upnp. Logs showing dd-wrt being flaky. Instead of forwarding to port 7769, the router forwards to some random port instead. Which is really strange since I have uTorrent running fine on another box with its port forwarded the way it should be. Perhaps if I am feeling brave sometime I will update my version of dd-wrt to see if that fixes it.

Looking at my logs further shows it doing the same for all incoming connections on 8333 as well (which I also have forwarded). Its a wonder I can connect to any network and mine at all Wink
Hillariously voracious
Yeah, I'd guess isolation. Unless the network really did produce no other blocks in that timespan.

Thanks for the input, Theymos.

Well, that's somewhat unnerving. Let's see if such incidents become more common and if anything can be learned from it.

Port 7769, right? Still can't seem to get more than 8 connections.  Embarrassed

Hm, that's odd.

What's the platform and did you try disabling unpnp in the config ?

Can you check your firewall logs or just get what's running (I think it provides connection info...)
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
Port 7769, right? Still can't seem to get more than 8 connections.  Embarrassed
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
Yeah, I'd guess isolation. Unless the network really did produce no other blocks in that timespan.
Hillariously voracious
Well, in a connection sac of some kind, the interval of the blocks you're building with your pals (or with yourself, if you got really isolated totally "alone" and still continued mining somehow) should probably drop, not rise, since you start at higher (native net) difficulty and then adjust lower (which Geld does in less than a minute).

Anyways, very interesting blocks. Maybe we should invite theymos ? I heard he likes blockchains.

P.S.:
Oh, and miners on Geist definitely should open incommings and increase maxconnections=

Having more than 125 can hardly hurt if increased within reason.
donator
Activity: 1654
Merit: 1350
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
It may be a minute between blocks, but because I was building on my own split chain, each block was built on top of the previous one I found. So it looked like this:

Code:
    {
        "account" : "",
        "category" : "immature",
        "amount" : 7.00000000,
        "confirmations" : 4,
        "txid" : "8132ac21f1b656809d7859bca7190487635d4b74d217759ff9c64219b16388f0",
        "time" : 1316192750
    },
    {
        "confirmations" : 3,
        "txid" : "610036b858586763662ea96b1d12c0c6a005184842f2dca7d6a0d47502ef2e79",
        "time" : 1316192941
    },
    {
        "confirmations" : 2,
        "txid" : "aa8e1379cb807ae660e4034cb24bcd24e5bb2a897405113c0275d9565b22ed77",
        "time" : 1316193097
    },
    {
        "confirmations" : 1,
        "txid" : "9973f663ab4de4d0548b9b66f03b8e5fb9d75cecd2bb1ce9b03373b6e1da0229",
        "time" : 1316193530
    },

And then after a few minutes, they all got orphaned.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
I think the biggest problem will be people with 8 connections. Meaning, they don't have ports open, so are really quite poorly connected to the network. These people will get orphaned more often than everyone else. Make your blocks count. Open incoming connections.
Hillariously voracious
I've been mining with 6 ghash and just now I saw that I found 5 blocks in a row. Immediately, I realized something is not right. I can't be that lucky. After a few minutes, I saw that these 5 blocks all got orphaned. I assumed that due to network issues, I was disconnected enough to build up my own block chain, which got wiped out when I reconnected.

Unfortunately, I think these problems will get worse as the network grows.
Interesting. I wonder how things will play out as we start hitting 100, 200, 300 GH.
Won't matter if we have 100 TH. After a few quick blocks, difficulty will adjust, and we'll be right back to 15 second blocks.

Well it's more about the number of nodes than the network hashrate. With a lot of nodes, block information will have to be sent to all the nodes. So there will be a lot of data sent around. Nodes that are unaware of the latest block, will be splitting the chain. So there will be a lot of collision and chains merging. Will be interesting to see if the network can handle it.

Well, that's exactly why I brought up the issue of "how many nodes per a Big Pool" (I PMed Tycho of the deepbit fame, btw)

seems to me that Nodes That Matter in modern bitcoin are, quite frankly, a handful, and the rest could just send them tx "the lean way" and keep the blockchain just for the purpose of feeling themselves like Ye Olde Coin Archiviste.

As for those blocks, there was always in excess two minutes between them (intervals irregular, in one case in excess of 7 minutes), so it does not appear to be exactly a block streak.

That does not disprove the hypothesis that coblee and his peers got sequestered into a "low-diff" fork, but there are other explanations too, like some less than kind person mining on-and off, rushing in at minimum diff, mining till it adjusts, stopping to let it drop (usually missing the norm and going a mite below), then mining again, rinse-repeat.

P.S.:
Someone should write a goddaymn visual block explorer that would allow to visualize orphans and such in relation to main chain  In 3-D Wink
donator
I've been mining with 6 ghash and just now I saw that I found 5 blocks in a row. Immediately, I realized something is not right. I can't be that lucky. After a few minutes, I saw that these 5 blocks all got orphaned. I assumed that due to network issues, I was disconnected enough to build up my own block chain, which got wiped out when I reconnected.

Interesting. I wonder how things will play out as we start hitting 100, 200, 300 GH.
Won't matter if we have 100 TH. After a few quick blocks, difficulty will adjust, and we'll be right back to 15 second blocks.

Well it's more about the number of nodes than the network hashrate. With a lot of nodes, block information will have to be sent to all the nodes. So there will be a lot of data sent around. Nodes that are unaware of the latest block, will be splitting the chain. So there will be a lot of collision and chains merging. Will be interesting to see if the network can handle it.
Activity: 980
Merit: 506

As I suspected there is a threshold in which where you add more GH you don't produce any more blocks than with less GH. I'm curious what that number is.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

donator

If you (or anyone else) ever find another "bizzaro streak of blocks", please do a getinfo and see if you have connections, and if so, how many. Because if you have like 6-8 connections and get such a streak, then likely something more that just "connection loss" is afoot.

Having said that, if network issues start causing orphaning of large ammount of blocks, that could be detected when studying the blockchain. According to ArtForz, so far there is no indication that the amount of orphans "on whole" is higher that normal.

P.S.:
coblee, could you PM me the timestamps and txid  on those orphans (should be in listtransactions) ?

I did check. I have 8 connections. Since the blocks were consecutive, it makes me thing I was isolated somehow. I will PM you with timestamps and txids.
Hillariously voracious

If you (or anyone else) ever find another "bizzaro streak of blocks", please do a getinfo and see if you have connections, and if so, how many. Because if you have like 6-8 connections and get such a streak, then likely something more that just "connection loss" is afoot.

Having said that, if network issues start causing orphaning of large ammount of blocks, that could be detected when studying the blockchain. According to ArtForz, so far there is no indication that the amount of orphans "on whole" is higher that normal.

P.S.:
coblee, could you PM me the timestamps and txid  on those orphans (should be in listtransactions) ?

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

donator

Activity: 313
Merit: 251
Third score

I am a bit iffy on the deeper intricacies of the "how does pool form" theory, so,  how many pool nodes connected to the bicoin network (as opposed to miners connected to pool, which as far as I understand have no particular reason to even be aware of the blockchain since they only deal with the pool's share anyways) does on average each of the "big fishes" of pool business represent ?

Don't really know unless you ask a pool operator willing to disclose that information (difficult) but an example which I think is maybe overdone (except if we're talking VPS machines):

Code:
[localbox1.localdomain ]# nslookup btcguild.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   btcguild.com
Address: 78.46.186.28
Address: 78.46.186.29
Address: 78.46.186.30
Address: 78.46.186.50
Address: 78.46.186.51
Address: 78.46.186.52
Address: 78.46.186.53
Address: 78.46.186.54
Address: 78.46.186.26
Address: 78.46.186.27

10 servers - 10 coin nodes for a big one. Bigger pools probably also use load balancers and/or bigger servers.

On another note I applaud your efforts, and it must be said that they have already brought results.

Cheers.
Hillariously voracious

As far as I understand, BGP flap is basically a route dying and un-dying fairly rapidly due to something cute happening in a given ISP's network, which suggests that normally they should be fairly irregular and territorially contained... but the issue is absolutely worth looking into, since it makes Geist a fascinating subject of study irrespective of various "plainly pragmatic" considerations.

I might be wrong, but I think 2112 was trying to point out the inevitable situation of a transaction transmitted over to a network, and getting lost or terribly delayed (even with the very fast Geist blocks) because there is a high enough probability that it never manages to be included in a block which is not orphaned later. This probability will be amplified as more nodes and miners join the network. It might still be OK now with less than 100 nodes active (assumption, again I might be wrong about this number).

This issue can be caused by BGP route flaps, TCP timeouts, torrent software overloading your line, bad cabling, local Ethernet switch flap or any other issue that can impair a user's connection to the network (the Geist network that is) for 10-30 seconds. These events would be a non-issue with a slower chain and definitely a non-issue with most Internet services (except Real time video/audio conferencing which cannot afford more than 1sec delay).

Well, geist obviously is more network-sensitive and there obviously is a blockrate/decentralization tradeoff at work (I think I said that in post one), and point of Geist experiment is, in part, to see exactly how this tradeoff works out on a "live" network that experiences all the live influences.

Geist, however, is quite ready to trade decentralization for blockrates (up to a point of course Wink), which I also stated in my first post, and what concerns me most is that network effects that impede Geist decentralization will also impede pool operation, thus also impeding the partial centralization and thus making further increase in Geist hashrate problematic at best.

They would probably first give up on trying to use Geist as a transaction medium.

Well, "thin" clients don't download the blockchain proper anyways, so theoretically nothing keeps people from sending their tx to all the well-known "big miner" geist nodes first, then the "plebes", thus maximizing the likelihood of those ending up in a block quite soon, or some other, smarter optimization of the way the net handles transactions (I'm not quite smart enough to come up with those by myself, admittedly Wink ).

Bitcoin will need many of those optimizations too if it grows "huge enough", and this is why it might be worthwhile for the community to play around with Geist, IMHO.

In the end, yes, it is quite possible that "audaciously fast blocks" will cause either insurmountable scaling issues or problems of sustaining a good enough connection to force your tx in even if some optimizations in transaction transmission by "lean" clients are in place.

The point of Geist is 1) try to find that out in a "live" setting 2) try to seek amendments to overcome those issues 3) see if some of those optimizations are also worth implementing in Bitcoin
As far as I have read about Geist, it brings many innovative features, but in my view the fast blocks collide (pun intended) with the innovations.

If worst comes to worst, there's nothing in the nature of Geist that would prevent gearing down the blockrate while adjusting the subsidy and retarget to leave economics intact (or maybe even give folks some temporal single-issue of pseudo deflation if they shall so demand, though I refuse on general principle to set a hard upper limit on number of Geists in existence. "Coin regeneration" FTW Wink ), however such course of events will be a huge blow to Geist's stance and appeal, even despite all the knowledge gained when assessing the causes which could lead to such an unfortunate and radical solution.

Still watching to see how this goes.

Interesting things will happen when pools will start to get deployed.

P.S.:

I am a bit iffy on the deeper intricacies of the "how does pool form" theory, so,  how many pool nodes connected to the bicoin network (as opposed to miners connected to pool, which as far as I understand have no particular reason to even be aware of the blockchain since they only deal with the pool's share anyways) does on average each of the "big fishes" of pool business represent ?
Pages:
Jump to: