Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] SolidCoin - new and improved block chain. Secure from pools - page 48. (Read 85500 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 251
client is garbage time to recompile
What's the problem with the client? What platform?
on windows7 and cant open options but ole pool mining is hella easier

Did you compile it yourself? The provided binary works fine for me opening options (Windows 7).

As with anything wxWidgets, if you use the wrong library anything can happen. Some changes were made to the options dialog, basically to remove the "fee" stuff because there is only a fixed fee now. No custom or unknown fees.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
Am I the only one who's nervous about downloading these random programs from random people?    I hope not Cheesy

I too would be nervous.

These alternate blockchains are launched by people trying to make quick money before the value drops to nothing.
These people:
 - have questionnable ethics
 - release binaries versions of their program
 - know that the computers where their binaries are executed are very likely to contain a real wallet.dat with real bitcoins

Conclusion: it is only a matter of days until we see a real attack. I strongly advise you to check the diff between their source code and bitcoin, and to compile it yourself.

From SolidCoin or just a random other chain?

I also agree people should check the source if they can, many people already have but there is no harm in making sure before you try any program!

Binaries are only provided so that people who want to trust and can't compile can access the program. Making things easy for people doesn't make it a scam.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
moOo
i ran my in a vm and grab the key.. the only change it made was added a start menu entry and the app data folder.
thats not to say it is safe but it was safe enough to grab a key off of.

and cant really be attacked pool mining. I'll grab a couple to play with on the exchange if their will be one.
but yeah I'm not sure how many more of these I can take.

give us a month next time geez
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
Am I the only one who's nervous about downloading these random programs from random people?    I hope not Cheesy

I too would be nervous.

These alternate blockchains are launched by people trying to make quick money before the value drops to nothing.
These people:
 - have questionnable ethics
 - release binaries versions of their program
 - know that the computers where their binaries are executed are very likely to contain a real wallet.dat with real bitcoins

Conclusion: it is only a matter of days until we see a real attack. I strongly advise you to check the diff between their source code and bitcoin, and to compile it yourself.

edit:
oh, I forgot, there is also the incentive for newcomers to start mining quickly, so that they do not have time to review the code.
very interesting combination of ingredients indeed... :-)
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
moOo
yeah your quick man
now where is the exchange so i can sell... and buy and sell again
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
how do u already have 1042 blocks found already on this pool?
I brought the pool up when it was made public soon after block 940. My pool is custom written, not using pushpoold. I can bring up a pool for a new currency by changing a couple of configuration parameters and it's on.

kudos bro!
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
on windows7 and cant open options but ole pool mining is hella easier
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
yes I can confirm I have having issues with the daemon and with building from source.
What are the issues? If you can build any of the other chains, this should just build.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
yes I can confirm I have having issues with the daemon and with building from source.

make -f makefile.unix solidcoind
g++ -c -O2 -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wformat -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -DNOPCH -DUSE_SSL -DUSE_UPNP=0 -o obj/nogui/util.o util.cpp
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create obj/nogui/util.o: No such file or directory
make: *** [obj/nogui/util.o] Error 1

I'm at work anyway just using my notebook so there is no way I will be able to mine for about another 24 hours as I have a job interview tomorrow.

I like the idea of this though. Might come on board for a S0 launch.
legendary
I brought the pool up when it was made public soon after block 940. My pool is custom written, not using pushpoold. I can bring up a pool for a new currency by changing a couple of configuration parameters and it's on.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Yes yes thats what i mean Smiley And i like it... So, doublec, what are you considering to do this time ? Will you make pool and exchange ?
There's a pool up at http://scpool.bitparking.com/pool. Note the extra fee over my other pools! I lost money on the i0 and ix coin pools due to the fact I pay out on orphans and there are a lot in the early stages. I'm upped the fee a bit in this earlier period to hopefully adjust. I'm considering an exchange.

legendary
legendary
Please don't. Encourage it to be used as a currency. To many people got burned on the previous ones.
It'll happen eventually anyway. People will want to trade it even if it's otc. You can avoid getting burned by not participating in the speculation.
Activity: 182
legendary
Yes yes thats what i mean Smiley And i like it... So, doublec, what are you considering to do this time ? Will you make pool and exchange ?
There's a pool up at http://scpool.bitparking.com/pool. Note the extra fee over my other pools! I lost money on the i0 and ix coin pools due to the fact I pay out on orphans and there are a lot in the early stages. I'm upped the fee a bit in this earlier period to hopefully adjust. I'm considering an exchange.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's 1,88183776 now... Seems it changes fast...
Yes, it adjusts much faster than bitcoin. According to the solidcoin faq:
In SolidCoin difficulty can raise by a maximum of 10% every 12 hours (or 240 blocks), however it can lower difficulty 400% in 12 hours also. Why this disparity in increasing and decreasing difficulty? One reason, it minimizes the effects of a pump-n-dump.

Please don't. Encourage it to be used as a currency. To many people got burned on the previous ones.
Activity: 187
In SolidCoin difficulty can raise by a maximum of 10% every 12 hours (or 240 blocks), however it can lower difficulty 400% in 12 hours also. Why this disparity in increasing and decreasing difficulty? One reason, it minimizes the effects of a pump-n-dump.

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Am I the only one who's nervous about downloading these random programs from random people?    I hope not Cheesy
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
I like the changes made to the BitCoin protocol and block chain; this is a far more useful deviance than ixcoin. I would like to point out that the options window crashes the program on windows.
legendary
Pages:
Jump to: