Author

Topic: [ANN][RIC] Riecoin: constellations POW *CPU* HARD FORK successful, world record - page 310. (Read 684945 times)

Activity: 583
Merit: 505
CTO @ Flixxo, Riecoin dev
Difficulty adjustements are every 576 block or every 288 block?

Because the ANN is contradicting

It was 576 but I thought it was too much so I reduced it to 288.
Thanks for noticing, I'll check the ANN
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Difficulty adjustements are every 576 block or every 288 block?

Because the ANN is contradicting
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
Giga
This is great, i look forward to the release  Smiley
Activity: 363
@gatra thank you for your awesome hard work! I truly respect they amount of thought you have put into this coin to ensure it has a fair launch and does not get instamined.  I can see big things in this coins future.

-crendore.
Quote from 3 months ago

Scientific value is hard to judge a priori, we will be gethering evidence for or against the Riemann hypothesis (which has a prize of 1M USD if you can prove or disprove it!). The PoW might generate groundbreaking results, or may be as pointless as hashing, most likely something in between: we'll create a repository of numbers that some mathematicians may consult for reference. It's very unlikely that we win the million dollars because the hypothesis is considered to be true and we are not explicitly evaluating the zeta function, but we are looking for numbers that will (or won't, that's the point) follow the distribution derived from Riemann's equations.
But if someone makes FPGAs/ASICs for finding prime numbers I'm sure that would be a big help for mathematicians in general. Even if it only helps for generating interest in math, I already consider it a win: we are proving that not only it's possible to make a distributed computing network more powerful than the largest supercomputers, but we would also prove that we can use it for something other than hashes. That surely must be of some "scientific value".

I am aware of all this, having read this when it was first posted (as well as being an enormous fan of number theory and prime numbers), but it doesn't answer my previous questions.

Moreover, I'm very interested in this coin and praise the programmer wholeheartedly, but I would like more details on the hashing mechanism by which Riecoin is cryptographically secure, as opposed to being a massively distributed calculator. Again, I refer to my previous post.

I really hope this coin lives up to its claims. I never tire of studying the Riemann Hypothesis, because no matter how deeply I delve into its mysteries, there is always more to discover.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

The truth is - of course Average Joe is not interested in cryptocurrencies. They're just a hassle - you need to send your money to an exchange, buy whateverCoin and only then you can finalize your transaction. It's way easier to use a credit card.

The only real way to achieve any level of adoption is to have a vendor accept your coins, possibly with a discount for purchases (let's skip the curing obesity stuff, unless you have an idea how to implement that. Proof of running, maybe?).

But that's a vicious cycle - in order to have a vendor accept your coin, you need to be big, and in order to be big, you need market adoption. No vendor will accept an experiment based on an experiment.

Besides, you keep talking about LTC - what made LTC known to masses? It was one of the first cryptos other than Bitcoin and it had a new PoW algorithm. You claim that the second is not a way to make it big, and the first is now unattainable.

And this coin can be marketed to an extent. "Prime95 that you can pay your bills with"? Sounds fine to me.

LOL @ Proof of running!

LTC is only where it is at today because it was indeed the second coin into the market after bitcoin. Bitcoin needed something to trade against besides fiat and it worked. As mentioned it had it's own PoW which solidified it's validity within the market and here it is today. Riecoin would have worked if it was released at the beginning or before primecoin. Now it is just "another coin" in the sea of endless alts.

Is it better than most if-not-all releases? yes. Absolutely.
Will it make it to the markets? yes.
Will merchants adopt it? probably not and there lies the problem. It is a problem with LTC too as most if not all LTC merchants were built specifically for that crypto. It is an endless loop and uphill battle within the crypto market.

I agree it is not all about the crypto. If Riecoin was able to add something to the coin to get out of the coattails of primecoin it might be sufficient enough to push itself into the markets. Maybe the authors have something in mind? Maybe this discussion will help Riecoin.

Maybe I will eat my own words?

Only time and innovation will tell. I wish nothing but the best for Riecoin but based on informative launch I see nothing but a small blip on an ever expanding ocean of crypto alt coins and at this point it is nothing I want to burn my CPU's on.

Prove me wrong OP. Take it to the masses.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Of course the altcoin market is saturated. The point is, coins like this one at least set the bar a little higher. If people keep picking coins with at least an innovative PoW, that will cut off the basic coingened scrypt clones.

And let me repeat my question - What do you expect?

This coin does set the bar higher I agree. It is better than most being pushed through the market. Sorry I missed your question. In order for any alt-coin to break through the market it needs to be innovative enough to stand against the founding fathers of crypto. BTC and LTC for example. No need to get into the reasons why they are where they are at.

Out comes hype coins.

Then prime coin. Searches for prime numbers. Oh this is new and helps with science! Science is good right? Sure Riecoin does it different but the real target audience doesn't know and doesn't care. Most people get lost after the word crypto. Many people got lost when we wen't from money to debit cards. How do you think they feel here?

Regardless of the difficulty of creating an altcoin it needs to stand out in an easy way that makes people want to join in and purchase/trade/adopt them. Make a coin that helps cure cancer, stops obesity, solves world hunger, removes the american debt. Those are just quick examples but any cryptocoin needs to contribute to society in such a way that it grabs not only media attention but anyone outside the pool of crypto fanatics like us in order to stand any chance within an accepted market.

Transition into crypto being a valid currency exchange is an uphill battle made worse by hype coins. It is an inevitable issue but be smart about it authors. Jesus.

Let the hype coins hype. Release something that grabs on and "goes to the moon".

This is not a personal attack on the author(s). This just happens to be the unfortunate release that I happened to blow my steam. It is a step in the right direction but alas, not enough.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

The truth is - of course Average Joe is not interested in cryptocurrencies. They're just a hassle - you need to send your money to an exchange, buy whateverCoin and only then you can finalize your transaction. It's way easier to use a credit card.

The only real way to achieve any level of adoption is to have a vendor accept your coins, possibly with a discount for purchases (let's skip the curing obesity stuff, unless you have an idea how to implement that. Proof of running, maybe?).

But that's a vicious cycle - in order to have a vendor accept your coin, you need to be big, and in order to be big, you need market adoption. No vendor will accept an experiment based on an experiment.

Besides, you keep talking about LTC - what made LTC known to masses? It was one of the first cryptos other than Bitcoin and it had a new PoW algorithm. You claim that the second is not a way to make it big, and the first is now unattainable.

And this coin can be marketed to an extent. "Prime95 that you can pay your bills with"? Sounds fine to me.
Quote from 3 months ago

Scientific value is hard to judge a priori, we will be gethering evidence for or against the Riemann hypothesis (which has a prize of 1M USD if you can prove or disprove it!). The PoW might generate groundbreaking results, or may be as pointless as hashing, most likely something in between: we'll create a repository of numbers that some mathematicians may consult for reference. It's very unlikely that we win the million dollars because the hypothesis is considered to be true and we are not explicitly evaluating the zeta function, but we are looking for numbers that will (or won't, that's the point) follow the distribution derived from Riemann's equations.
But if someone makes FPGAs/ASICs for finding prime numbers I'm sure that would be a big help for mathematicians in general. Even if it only helps for generating interest in math, I already consider it a win: we are proving that not only it's possible to make a distributed computing network more powerful than the largest supercomputers, but we would also prove that we can use it for something other than hashes. That surely must be of some "scientific value".

As a prime number enthusiast, I applaud this effort.  Smiley

Assuming the technical specifications for proof-of-work live up to the OP's claims, then I will definitely dedicate a core or two to this coin. OP, would you mind elaborating further on the technical nature of Riecoin? What precisely is the object of value? a nontrivial zero, a certain type of prime number? Something else? Is the PoW hash directly based upon calculating the Riemann-zeta line of the Riemann Hypothesis, and if so, at what point does it begin? Could one "instamine" this coin by cross-referencing existing tables of the Riemann-zeta function or prime numbers, or does the PoW depend on some other mechanism? Does the code handle the unlikely event of finding a nontrivial zero off the line, i.e. essentially "disproving" the Riemann Hypothesis? (yes, I understand proving or disproving the Riemann Hypothesis isn't necessarily as simple as finding this or that particular number.)

Thank you.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
sounds good to me interested!

Of course the altcoin market is saturated. The point is, coins like this one at least set the bar a little higher. If people keep picking coins with at least an innovative PoW, that will cut off the basic coingened scrypt clones.

This coin does set the bar higher I agree. It is better than most being pushed through the market. Sorry I missed your question. In order for any alt-coin to break through the market it needs to be innovative enough to stand against the founding fathers of crypto. BTC and LTC for example. No need to get into the reasons why they are where they are at.

Out comes hype coins.

Then prime coin. Searches for prime numbers. Oh this is new and helps with science! Science is good right? Sure Riecoin does it different but the real target audience doesn't know and doesn't care. Most people get lost after the word crypto. Many people got lost when we wen't from money to debit cards. How do you think they feel here?

Regardless of the difficulty of creating an altcoin it needs to stand out in an easy way that makes people want to join in and purchase/trade/adopt them. Make a coin that helps cure cancer, stops obesity, solves world hunger, removes the american debt. Those are just quick examples but any cryptocoin needs to contribute to society in such a way that it grabs not only media attention but anyone outside the pool of crypto fanatics like us in order to stand any chance within an accepted market.

Transition into crypto being a valid currency exchange is an uphill battle made worse by hype coins. It is an inevitable issue but be smart about it authors. Jesus.

Let the hype coins hype. Release something that grabs on and "goes to the moon".

This is not a personal attack on the author(s). This just happens to be the unfortunate release that I happened to blow my steam. It is a step in the right direction but alas, not enough.
Activity: 583
Merit: 505
CTO @ Flixxo, Riecoin dev
Joe-Blow doesn't care and doesn't know the difference between Primecoin and Riecoin nor does he care and that is the exact point

That is a good point indeed. However I expect Joe Blow to notice the differences in price. And I expect Joe Miner to notice how mining Riecoin is a better experience. I hope to address the problems that Primecoin suffers every time the difficulty crosses the integer barrier.

Ultimately, my goal is to harness all the computing power of cryptocurrencies to something "better" than hashing. My ideal is a true decentralized "curecoin/foldcoin" with scientific calculations embedded as part of the protocol and the blockchain. And this is just one small step forward.
Joe-Blow doesn't care and doesn't know the difference between Primecoin and Riecoin nor does he care and that is the exact point. Hype Coin. Make some dollars, have some fun, burn some chips but in the end it is just part of the cryptocoin saturation which is a bigger problem.

No the only thing that is irritating in this thread is you/your sock puppet. Different way of finding prime numbers, are you this stupid? Hint: primecoin searches for CUNNINGHAM chains. That's not searching for primes from 2 to infinity like you apparently think was the case...

If you're invested in Primecoin you would have wanted to get your facts straight before that. You know, facts about your investment kinda affect the valuation Wink.

this proves my point exactly. You referenced primecoin against this coin. Is there money to be made here? sure there is. Just like there was with Moon, MTC, cent,Quark,mmc and all the other hype coins. What I am saying is there is no innovation with this coin. Nothing. I know well the difference between cunningham chains and prime but when it all boils down there is no real innovation for end user. This would have worked a few years ago but not now.

The delivery is great. no premine, a step to prevent mass mining at the beginning, a website, probably some pools soon but that is far as it goes.

Joe-Blow doesn't care and doesn't know the difference between Primecoin and Riecoin nor does he care and that is the exact point. Hype Coin. Make some dollars, have some fun, burn some chips but in the end it is just part of the cryptocoin saturation which is a bigger problem.

ughhhh. Not another Hype-Coin. Besides a tweak to the algorithm there is (yet again) nothing of real value with this new coin. Wow you can find prime numbers. PrimeCoin does that. Problem is everyone is scratching and scraping to get on the next "Bitcoin" so any new coin that gets released everyone and their grandmother jumps on it.

Sure, people will make money once accepted into exchanges but after x amount of time this coin will be like all the rest. Just a few pennies in a sea of endless alt coins.

This is part of the problem. Week after week anyone with a basic programming and marketing knowledge can make the next hypecoin. There is no innovation here. You can find prime numbers? a little different way? whoop-de-do.

How do you expect your coin to get passed the hype-trade?

The 3 major players are as follows:

BTC
LTC
PrimeCoin

That is it. Ride the hype! Go for it! make some money! but for long term investors? Like myself? NO THANKS.

Good Luck with your coin though. Really.
These type of coins are really really irritating!

Wow, you must be fun at parties.

Seriously though, what do you expect from a new currency? This one at least has an innovative algo, is supposedly hard to GPU-mine (though that probably will quickly turn out not to be the case), brings something to the table. And among the blind the one-eyed man is a king.

get out...get out seriously. You havent even read what this coin is...Go ask for free Dogecoins and let this one alone.

I did read what the coin was about on their website and it is nothing but a hype coin. Prove me wrong. Tell me what this coin brings to the table that is so innovative anyone outside the market will adopt it? There is nothing. Ok so the algorithm changed up a bit. Tell me how your neighbor charlie that  bought a 2000$ mac to play games on facebook cares about a few lines of code change?

Again, nothing innovative. Nothing but hype coin.

Please prove me wrong

99% of new coin have no real value because they are simple fork with a different name. And that's all.

This coin have a totally new PoW and it's rare.
And it's not just a different hash function, like Quark or memorycoin. It's a mathematical one, it have a purpose.

There is only one coin who did it before and that's primecoin
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org

get out...get out seriously. You havent even read what this coin is...Go ask for free Dogecoins and let this one alone.

I did read what the coin was about on their website and it is nothing but a hype coin. Prove me wrong. Tell me what this coin brings to the table that is so innovative anyone outside the market will adopt it? There is nothing. Ok so the algorithm changed up a bit. Tell me how your neighbor charlie that  bought a 2000$ mac to play games on facebook cares about a few lines of code change?

Please prove me wrong

As i said before go and ask for free innovative Doge or mine it with your neighbor charlie 2k (lol) MAC failcomputer and please let this coin with the few more no innovative according to you code lines to us Smiley
Activity: 156
ughhhh. Not another Hype-Coin. Besides a tweak to the algorithm there is (yet again) nothing of real value with this new coin. Wow you can find prime numbers. PrimeCoin does that. Problem is everyone is scratching and scraping to get on the next "Bitcoin" so any new coin that gets released everyone and their grandmother jumps on it.

Sure, people will make money once accepted into exchanges but after x amount of time this coin will be like all the rest. Just a few pennies in a sea of endless alt coins.

This is part of the problem. Week after week anyone with a basic programming and marketing knowledge can make the next hypecoin. There is no innovation here. You can find prime numbers? a little different way? whoop-de-do.

How do you expect your coin to get passed the hype-trade?

The 3 major players are as follows:

BTC
LTC
PrimeCoin

That is it. Ride the hype! Go for it! make some money! but for long term investors? Like myself? NO THANKS.

Good Luck with your coin though. Really.
These type of coins are really really irritating!

No the only thing that is irritating in this thread is you/your sock puppet. Different way of finding prime numbers, are you this stupid? Hint: primecoin searches for CUNNINGHAM chains. That's not searching for primes from 2 to infinity like you apparently think was the case...

If you're invested in Primecoin you would have wanted to get your facts straight before that. You know, facts about your investment kinda affect the valuation Wink.
Activity: 157
bump
Have been looking forward to this for quite a few months..

Please prove me wrong
Jump to: