Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][SHIFT] The New Web | IPFS/Phantom | ShiftNrg.org Hosted Decentralized! - page 29. (Read 547552 times)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
First off, I'm wondering what type of behavioral incentives are going to be in place to incentivize growth of the SHIFT user base once it goes live?

Also, I've been following the discussion regarding what gives SHIFT tokens value, and I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. I'm an economics guy without a strong tech background, so I'm going to try to paraphrase my understanding in very laymen terms, and I'm hoping someone can tell me if I'm grasping this...

For the sake of this example, let's assume speculation is not affecting the price of SHIFT. The price is only affected by the demand for the utility of the SHIFT token...

Tokens will be used to pay for functionality on the platform, like hosting. While the user base is small, and the token's price is equivalent to $10 USD, someone may pay for a year of hosting with 2 SHIFT tokens, with a price equivalent of $20 USD. As the user base grows, let's say the demand for hosting doubles, but the relative price of hosting remains the same in USD; $20. To accommodate the added demand, the price per token must increase by a factor of 2. So rather than the relative price of hosting increasing to $40, the value of the SHIFT token would increase from $10 to $20, and the cost of hosting would become 1 SHIFT token.

Am I on the right track here?
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064
Juicin' crypto
That is $20 per shift, I wouldn't count on that.

SHIFT explodes this month up the top 50 Roll Eyes

He used a metric that makes sense (market cap) and you chose on that's irrelevant (value per token). Look at things ranked around 50, maidsafe, siacoin, golem, dogecoin ffs. We will have a working product its a really important issue this project is trying to solve.

noooo reason this project and coin cannot be $20/coin easy.
it'll take alot but it's do-able for 2018.
$10 should be easy as pie.  Cool Tongue
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
Good news by Ralf S (dev team) on the launch of the new website:
"We're working day and night to deliver what we promised in our latest newsletter. It says december." from Ryver official chat

Engaging Boosters, Ready for takeoff  Cool
Activity: 3
Good news by Ralf S (dev team) on the launch of the new website:
"We're working day and night to deliver what we promised in our latest newsletter. It says december." from Ryver official chat
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
I didn't keep up with the forum, but I saw somewhere discussion about Shift e-commerce for wordpress, is it still happening?
Activity: 12
In retrospect, how do you rate your decision of switching form PoW (dagger-hashimoto ) to dPos?
Was it good? Or if you have to ability to travel in time you would choose stay with ethash?
Lisk is like ethereum v2, if you though Bitcoin was congested imagine what eth will be like. The dapp platform separates dapps from the main chain. This means we can scale nearly indefinitely. Ethereum has many problems as well.
Activity: 1181
Merit: 259
Why up to date I still dont earn any SHIFT in the wallet?

Im voting for 33 delegates and voting 3 months ago.

Any help will be apprieciated.

Thanks

I started getting rewards the day after signing up for DPOS, so the system is working fine. I voted for the top 101.
Activity: 84
I just made translation of Ann post to Russian part of Bitcointalk https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.26100635
Activity: 284
Merit: 100
i like this project and i like how this might go to the moon...but...
i don't quite see the point of the coin? why would the coin have value? based on what?
i would read a whitepaper but one does not exist Huh

i understand that the web needs to run on a blockchain but i don't see how that would give value to the coin.
using and hosting doesn't cost money so where does the money come from?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

First, Shift, is not a 'coin'; it's a token, not a currency. Second, when you say 'value', do you mean in terms of price or utility? Shift aims to provide a very specific value to consumers, but the price--how much consumers will pay to receive that value--will be determined by market forces over time.

Every crypto-asset aims to provide some kind of value (well, except for the scams...) in the sense of utility. Price is then a consequence of 1) the actual value that asset is providing right now, and 2) and value that investors speculate it will provide in the future. For example, the price of ETH is high because the token is valuable now (you need it to run contracts on the ETH network; i.e., supply and demand) AND investors believe that ETH will continue to succeed and be even more valuable in the future. But there is no intrinsic 'right' price for 1 ETH: its network would function the same whether 1 ETH cost $4 or $400 or $40000.

The same is true of Shift. The Shift team is building a way to decentralize the internet based on peer-based storage and the Interplanetary File System (IPFS). Eventually, the Phantom app will serve as a dashboard, allowing users to connect to their decentralized storage, run dApps, and so on. Like the ETH token, the Shift token is needed to use the Shift network. So its value proposition is as a practical means of realizing a decentralized internet. Because the product only exists on testnet for now, the current price of Shift is purely a function of speculation (and yes, you can argue that crypto in general overvalues potential vs. actual results, but that's not unique to Shift). Later, it also will reflect the degree to which Shift has realized its value proposition--i.e., if consumers find Shift's service valuable, demand for Shift tokens will be high, and so will be the price.

Ultimately, you need Shift tokens to use the Shift network and its associated services. If the Shift network works as intended and consumers value it and want to use it, they will pay for Shift tokens--and that's where 'the money' comes from.

1. Do you have enough Shift to receive a regular reward? Shift's rewards are quite low; i.e., most delegates pay only 0.1 SHIFT +/- per 1000 Shift per month: https://dpostools.com/SHIFT

2. Are the delegates you voted for still in the top 101? If they aren't, then they aren't forging, which means they aren't giving you a reward.

3. Do the delegates you voted for have a payout threshold? I.e., do they only pay out once your reward exceeds a certain level? If so, you may not have reached that threshold yet.

thanks for explaining. just now someone on ryver came up with the information i was looking for:

Shift tokens have two primary profit mechanisms: the first, delegated Proof-of-Stake, is a means for
 Shift holders to earn additional tokens by taking part in a democratic process of governance over
 the platform.
 The second profit mechanism is the use of the tokens as a medium for selling dApp services,
 such as Phantom’s decentralized web hosting. (More precisely:(a)hosting a storage node in the
 IPFS cluster is a major revenue stream since nodes receive a part of the forged block rewards
 when they have proven to possess the data they should possess; and (b)there are countless
 possibilities for expanding the tokenized dApp services ecosystem.)

some more details:
https://www.shiftnrg.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Shift%20Upbit%20-%20English%20text.pdf
Activity: 359
Merit: 270
i don't quite see the point of the coin? why would the coin have value? based on what?

i understand that the web needs to run on a blockchain but i don't see how that would give value to the coin.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

First, Shift, is not a 'coin'; it's a token, not a currency. Second, when you say 'value', do you mean in terms of price or utility? Shift aims to provide a very specific value to consumers, but the price--how much consumers will pay to receive that value--will be determined by market forces over time.

Every crypto-asset aims to provide some kind of value (well, except for the scams...) in the sense of utility. Price is then a consequence of 1) the actual value that asset is providing right now, and 2) and value that investors speculate it will provide in the future. For example, the price of ETH is high because the token is valuable now (you need it to run contracts on the ETH network; i.e., supply and demand) AND investors believe that ETH will continue to succeed and be even more valuable in the future. But there is no intrinsic 'right' price for 1 ETH: its network would function the same whether 1 ETH cost $4 or $400 or $40000.

The same is true of Shift. The Shift team is building a way to decentralize the internet based on peer-based storage and the Interplanetary File System (IPFS). Eventually, the Phantom app will serve as a dashboard, allowing users to connect to their decentralized storage, run dApps, and so on. Like the ETH token, the Shift token is needed to use the Shift network. So its value proposition is as a practical means of realizing a decentralized internet. Because the product only exists on testnet for now, the current price of Shift is purely a function of speculation (and yes, you can argue that crypto in general overvalues potential vs. actual results, but that's not unique to Shift). Later, it also will reflect the degree to which Shift has realized its value proposition--i.e., if consumers find Shift's service valuable, demand for Shift tokens will be high, and so will be the price.

Ultimately, you need Shift tokens to use the Shift network and its associated services. If the Shift network works as intended and consumers value it and want to use it, they will pay for Shift tokens--and that's where 'the money' comes from.

1. Do you have enough Shift to receive a regular reward? Shift's rewards are quite low; i.e., most delegates pay only 0.1 SHIFT +/- per 1000 Shift per month: https://dpostools.com/SHIFT

2. Are the delegates you voted for still in the top 101? If they aren't, then they aren't forging, which means they aren't giving you a reward.

3. Do the delegates you voted for have a payout threshold? I.e., do they only pay out once your reward exceeds a certain level? If so, you may not have reached that threshold yet.

Activity: 54

Any help will be apprieciated.

Thanks
Activity: 1246
Merit: 708
In retrospect, how do you rate your decision of switching form PoW (dagger-hashimoto ) to dPos?
Was it good? Or if you have to ability to travel in time you would choose stay with ethash?
which are the last updates of the Shift Project?

You can read it at November's newsletter
https://www.shiftnrg.org/newsletter-november/
Guys, I've made Russian translation of November's newsletter Steemit | Golos.io. You are welcome to pupm it or read if you can  Wink
Activity: 16

Good question btw. I think value will come from hosting. But I'd like to hear Shift Team's opinion with that point.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
SHIFT is very easy $100 mill cap coin, that means x5 easy, but if website is big success it can go x20!
Activity: 284
Merit: 100

Pages:
Jump to: