Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite - NEW Thread | 1st mini-blockchain coin | Bounties! - page 40. (Read 215672 times)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Other than trying to get this coin onto some more and bigger Exchanges, is there any set plan for actually getting the coin into REAL use?

It's all well and good to trade and gamble on Exchanges, but unless a coin has a REAL use in REAL life, the value will always be a complete gamble, because it has no actual use and serves no purpose, therefore demand will remain just by gamblers....

I think in addition to trying to get onto a decent exchange, you need to show some plans and work towards some eventual use for this coin, be it as a day to day currency for purchasing (in which case you need to be talking to card companies, or have some specific service that it can be used for...  Obviously the first is preferable, but creating coins with no actual use or purpose has been done by everyone and his dog, and most are going the way of the Dodo.

This is a good technology but needs to show some long-term plan at least, and preferably some timeframe and work in progress to get it into ACTUAL REAL LIFE use....

Just saying....
Activity: 362
Merit: 100

thanks for update new wallet ,i really appreciate it ,buy the wallet ,any plan add  creative function to XCN ?
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
Enexus provided a patch to compile with miniupnp 2.0 (keeping compatibility with older version).
I've merged it now.
Activity: 882
Merit: 310
Btw. I don't think 1GB blocks, will be ever in use, that's non-sense Cheesy.

But with 60 sec block time, there can be used 32MB blocks, especially if those blocks can pack more transactions, than standard bitcoin protocol.

That would be in theory, with Bitcoin tx sizes 2200 tx/s, quite a lot
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Yep, I know, tho this bear market will scare them out for good.

@pallas - can you think how we can test live network? I'll help with my nodes, in test, I would want to see especially variable size of blocks, and how they propagate through network.
Also if we think about high tx/s, we should improve single-threaded code, without parallism, as here: https://youtu.be/5SJm2ep3X_M?t=854
Scaling can be only done if code can and will use multi-cores processing.

Time to code the tx generator script. Then we should run it on multiple nodes and see how the network reacts.
Yep, I know, tho this bear market will scare them out for good.

@pallas - can you think how we can test live network? I'll help with my nodes, in test, I would want to see especially variable size of blocks, and how they propagate through network.
Also if we think about high tx/s, we should improve single-threaded code, with parallism, as here: https://youtu.be/5SJm2ep3X_M?t=854
Scaling can be only done if code can and will use multi-cores processing.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
The level of idiocy and complacency, is at ATH on this forum, and only hope, that this big correction will ride them out, of here.

This is prevalent throughout unfortunately.

It is due to the massive influx of newbies that involve themselves in something that has been around longer than the few days they care to research. There is a meme floating about the place (which i wished i saved now) saying something along the lines of ...

newbie - I just got into Crypto yesterday and started buying ICO coins and trading some Alt coins ...
newbie - I am now a CryptoExpert and CryptoAdvisor a week later because I traded and bought coins.

Amazing the amount of 'experts' out there that can teach us all a lesson or two Tongue

#crysx

legendary
duplicate magi coin

How so?

#crysx

some people don't seem to realize that Cryptonite development started in 2013.

Yup!

In fact, some people just don't seem to realize that there is actually a thing called 'reading' and 'research' and 'due diligence'.

Ho Hum. Back to work for me.

#crysx
The level of idiocy and complacency, is at ATH on this forum, and only hope, that this big correction will ride them out, of here.

legendary
Black Belt Developer
duplicate magi coin

How so?

#crysx

some people don't seem to realize that Cryptonite development started in 2013.
legendary
Activity: 541
Merit: 100
legendary
Black Belt Developer
@Pallas , would you tell , which source , I could build a linux wallet from , pls...

https://github.com/pallas1/Cryptonite
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
quarkchain.io
@Pallas , would you tell , which source , I could build a linux wallet from , pls...
legendary
Black Belt Developer
And PoS doesn't work? Cheesy
I think that scalability wise, PoS or DPoS are much better solution.

I didn't say that PoS doesn't work.
PoW vs PoS is a long debate, they both have plus and minus.
Let's concentrate on a possible PoS mini-blockchain implementation, or other alternatives.
And PoS doesn't work? Cheesy
I think that scalability wise, PoS or DPoS are much better solution.
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Personally, I'm in 2 minds about POS vs POW.
I love the idea of getting rid of "wasting energy".
On the other hand, it's that "wasted" energy that gives the token additional undisputable value and is therefore a great layer of trust, next to the current trade prices on the exchanges.
Same effect as with gold. It's expensive to mine, hence it's rare, hence it's valuable. In theory, there should be some market-driven self adjustment happening to how much energy a coin consumes and I think that's what's happening. So POW isn't necessarily bad. Also, there are many voices warning against pure POS as there seem to be some issues with that, too.

I've thought about that topic a while ago, too and my feeling is that a new POW/hybrid POW/POS approach that somehow incentivizes contribution to coin network health might be a good approach. E.g. instead of just having the tokens "at stake", the POW part could be about providing network bandwidth (e.g. forwarding new transactions) or transaction history lookups. I'm not sure yet how to encapsulate these tasks in a way so that it can be verified independently that a node has done it. But it must be possible, SETI@home is somehow verifying processed packages as well.
The POS part could stay more or less the same as having tokens at stake I guess.

I agree with your comments on POW and POS.
Maybe POW is expensive in terms of energy, but it's what makes it work; and let's remember bitcoin is the biggest coin, the first and it still works pretty fine, regardless of all the attacks it got over the years.
Hybrid POW/POS could be a nice solution, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to introduce in a coin like XCN: I mean, what if those huge chinese xcn holders start staking? No coins for new users, no coins for small investors.
Furthermore, there is a technical problem to solve: miniblockchain is about removing transaction history and keeping a balance sheet of accounts instead, which clashes with the POS concept of "coin age"; since every node needs to verify the stake transactions, they would need to know the coin age and history of those coins. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that we need to rethink it and adapt to mini-blockchain.
About SETI@home, they probably verify the packages in a centralised manner.

You know, that PoW, isn't so secure on alts in reality, because they have rather small processing power.
Stakers can secure coin, even if it's small, cause it's almost impossible to gather so large supply of coins in one hands.

If the coin is small, then getting a large part of it is easy and cheap.
Besides, I've never seen a 51% attack on an altcoin yet. It is possible in theory, but making use of it is not easy. For example, if exchanges have 30 confirmations for altcoins, making a successful hashrate attack means having 99% of the hashrate for a long time.
Of course I'm not counting those dead coins where you can mine 30 blocks in a few minutes because no one is mining at that moment in time.

And PoW always have limitation, as we can with Bitcoin - it's unsustainable, and it's getting absurd, when miners flew from one country to another, because they are forbidding them (for a good cause - tremendous energy waste is absurd, for sha256 algorythm, that don't contribute to humanity in anyway, nor it can be really used as a global super computer, because it's not designed so, and calculations of sha256, wouldn't have much usage).

True, but I don't think that POS is the answer.
POW is a waste of energy but it works.
Personally, I'm in 2 minds about POS vs POW.
I love the idea of getting rid of "wasting energy".
On the other hand, it's that "wasted" energy that gives the token additional undisputable value and is therefore a great layer of trust, next to the current trade prices on the exchanges.
Same effect as with gold. It's expensive to mine, hence it's rare, hence it's valuable. In theory, there should be some market-driven self adjustment happening to how much energy a coin consumes and I think that's what's happening. So POW isn't necessarily bad. Also, there are many voices warning against pure POS as there seem to be some issues with that, too.

I've thought about that topic a while ago, too and my feeling is that a new POW/hybrid POW/POS approach that somehow incentivizes contribution to coin network health might be a good approach. E.g. instead of just having the tokens "at stake", the POW part could be about providing network bandwidth (e.g. forwarding new transactions) or transaction history lookups. I'm not sure yet how to encapsulate these tasks in a way so that it can be verified independently that a node has done it. But it must be possible, SETI@home is somehow verifying processed packages as well.
The POS part could stay more or less the same as having tokens at stake I guess.

I agree with your comments on POW and POS.
Maybe POW is expensive in terms of energy, but it's what makes it work; and let's remember bitcoin is the biggest coin, the first and it still works pretty fine, regardless of all the attacks it got over the years.
Hybrid POW/POS could be a nice solution, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to introduce in a coin like XCN: I mean, what if those huge chinese xcn holders start staking? No coins for new users, no coins for small investors.
Furthermore, there is a technical problem to solve: miniblockchain is about removing transaction history and keeping a balance sheet of accounts instead, which clashes with the POS concept of "coin age"; since every node needs to verify the stake transactions, they would need to know the coin age and history of those coins. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that we need to rethink it and adapt to mini-blockchain.
About SETI@home, they probably verify the packages in a centralised manner.

You know, that PoW, isn't so secure on alts in reality, because they have rather small processing power.
Stakers can secure coin, even if it's small, cause it's almost impossible to gather so large supply of coins in one hands.
And PoW always have limitation, as we can with Bitcoin - it's unsustainable, and it's getting absurd, when miners flew from one country to another, because they are forbidding them (for a good cause - tremendous energy waste is absurd, for sha256 algorythm, that don't contribute to humanity in anyway, nor it can be really used as a global super computer, because it's not designed so, and calculations of sha256, wouldn't have much usage).
legendary
some pow/pos stuff
some other pow/pos stuff

Agreed ...

As for SETI - they do.

I used to be number one in the Australiasian region for SETI until all the processing started for Crypto Wink

#crysx

What about the M7 pool? Is it still in the works? May I/we help you in setting it up?

Well ...

The new servers are up and running. The test pool is online but the we are ironing out a couple of issues with the Obsidian installation under Centos 7. It is working in Debian. When this is done, we will test the GRN pool on the new servers, as well as iron our more smaller issues, and test comprehensively before starting to install all the pools on the new system.

The new CWI-Pool System is fast! Blazing fast! The servers have been setup such that there should be no lag between communication in the backend (private networking between sevrers) and in the event of any attacks (like DDOS), the frontend will be the only thing affected and mitigated, while the backend Obsidian (stratum), DB and Daemons will remain steadfast with almost no effect on mining.

If we can get these smaller issues sorted in the next few days, we will start on the compilation of the daemons and subsequent creation of the pools on the new CWI-InfraStructure. CryptoNite was one of the coins we had issues with compiling under Cetnos 7 x64, so your help will certainly be needed in that area when we get running. In fact, when there is time this week, the compilation of the daemon will begin, and see what errors it spits out.

So the answer in short - Yes to both your questions Wink

#crysx
Pages:
Jump to: