Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite - NEW Thread | 1st mini-blockchain coin | Bounties! - page 41. (Read 215672 times)

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
some pow/pos stuff
some other pow/pos stuff

Agreed ...

As for SETI - they do.

I used to be number one in the Australiasian region for SETI until all the processing started for Crypto Wink

#crysx

What about the M7 pool? Is it still in the works? May I/we help you in setting it up?
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
Personally, I'm in 2 minds about POS vs POW.
I love the idea of getting rid of "wasting energy".
On the other hand, it's that "wasted" energy that gives the token additional undisputable value and is therefore a great layer of trust, next to the current trade prices on the exchanges.
Same effect as with gold. It's expensive to mine, hence it's rare, hence it's valuable. In theory, there should be some market-driven self adjustment happening to how much energy a coin consumes and I think that's what's happening. So POW isn't necessarily bad. Also, there are many voices warning against pure POS as there seem to be some issues with that, too.

I've thought about that topic a while ago, too and my feeling is that a new POW/hybrid POW/POS approach that somehow incentivizes contribution to coin network health might be a good approach. E.g. instead of just having the tokens "at stake", the POW part could be about providing network bandwidth (e.g. forwarding new transactions) or transaction history lookups. I'm not sure yet how to encapsulate these tasks in a way so that it can be verified independently that a node has done it. But it must be possible, SETI@home is somehow verifying processed packages as well.
The POS part could stay more or less the same as having tokens at stake I guess.

I agree with your comments on POW and POS.
Maybe POW is expensive in terms of energy, but it's what makes it work; and let's remember bitcoin is the biggest coin, the first and it still works pretty fine, regardless of all the attacks it got over the years.
Hybrid POW/POS could be a nice solution, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to introduce in a coin like XCN: I mean, what if those huge chinese xcn holders start staking? No coins for new users, no coins for small investors.
Furthermore, there is a technical problem to solve: miniblockchain is about removing transaction history and keeping a balance sheet of accounts instead, which clashes with the POS concept of "coin age"; since every node needs to verify the stake transactions, they would need to know the coin age and history of those coins. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that we need to rethink it and adapt to mini-blockchain.
About SETI@home, they probably verify the packages in a centralised manner.

Agreed ...

As for SETI - they do.

I used to be number one in the Australiasian region for SETI until all the processing started for Crypto Wink

#crysx
legendary
Black Belt Developer
On the other hand, it's that "wasted" energy that gives the token additional undisputable value and is therefore a great layer of trust, next to the current trade prices on the exchanges.
Same effect as with gold. It's expensive to mine, hence it's rare, hence it's valuable. In theory, there should be some market-driven self adjustment happening to how much energy a coin consumes and I think that's what's happening. So POW isn't necessarily bad. Also, there are many voices warning against pure POS as there seem to be some issues with that, too.

I've thought about that topic a while ago, too and my feeling is that a new POW/hybrid POW/POS approach that somehow incentivizes contribution to coin network health might be a good approach. E.g. instead of just having the tokens "at stake", the POW part could be about providing network bandwidth (e.g. forwarding new transactions) or transaction history lookups. I'm not sure yet how to encapsulate these tasks in a way so that it can be verified independently that a node has done it. But it must be possible, SETI@home is somehow verifying processed packages as well.
The POS part could stay more or less the same as having tokens at stake I guess.

I agree with your comments on POW and POS.
Maybe POW is expensive in terms of energy, but it's what makes it work; and let's remember bitcoin is the biggest coin, the first and it still works pretty fine, regardless of all the attacks it got over the years.
Hybrid POW/POS could be a nice solution, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to introduce in a coin like XCN: I mean, what if those huge chinese xcn holders start staking? No coins for new users, no coins for small investors.
Furthermore, there is a technical problem to solve: miniblockchain is about removing transaction history and keeping a balance sheet of accounts instead, which clashes with the POS concept of "coin age"; since every node needs to verify the stake transactions, they would need to know the coin age and history of those coins. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that we need to rethink it and adapt to mini-blockchain.
About SETI@home, they probably verify the packages in a centralised manner.
Activity: 175
Merit: 113

Activity: 773
Merit: 508
Bitcore (BTX) - The Future is Now

A promotion on the CryptoNite thread!

That's what!

#crysx

haha that sneaky little bastard  Cheesy
It appeared as unconfirmed instanetly. But 1 conf has taken 8 min.

Guys - I want to ask one more time, is it possible to make it PoS, or hybrid PoW/PoS? I mean it would be also energy efficient at the same time?
60 sec target block is also the fastest it can be? Cant it be 30-45 sec?

I have thought about android wallet, it could show the power of mini-blockchain scheme.

android wallet would be cool, but pls do not take away my precious XCN mining!
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 1003

A promotion on the CryptoNite thread!

That's what!

#crysx
So that guy is advertising on pallas's thread.  Angry Kick that guy out pallas!   Grin
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 1091
--- ChainWorks Industries ---
legendary
Black Belt Developer
Activity: 882
Merit: 310
It appeared as unconfirmed instanetly. But 1 conf has taken 8 min.

Guys - I want to ask one more time, is it possible to make it PoS, or hybrid PoW/PoS? I mean it would be also energy efficient at the same time?
60 sec target block is also the fastest it can be? Cant it be 30-45 sec?

I have thought about android wallet, it could show the power of mini-blockchain scheme.
I have bought a handful of coins to test network, but would somebody willing to test it setting up a 10-20 nodes to sent it to them simultaneously.

Without it, it's hard to test with 2-3 computers, throughput of network. I can't make a couple of VMs, but it won't be enough.
I am interested in such a kind of performance test and would like to participate, but in the next weeks I have not so much time for it. In mid to late April, it would be possible for me. I'll confirm in 2-3 weeks.

It would be reasonable to use a test network for that. Is there currently a XCN testnet running?

I don't think so but we can quickly set it up.
Thanks.

well, just using the live net would be doable, too. TX fees are literally nothing, so would be interesting to compare testnet vs live.
I'm surprised about the initial report of having 8-10 min confirmation time. Whenever I did a transfer, it was visible the same instant (sent around the world, NZ -> Germany while talking on phone) and confirmed within the next block.
Keep in mind that with withdrawal limits in place, technically, no confirmation is required and instant tx is possible. This feature needs more support in the wallet to be actually usable but the foundation is there!

I don't know why it was like that maybe ot confirmed faster, but in client it showed first confirmation after 8 min, and I checked it. 5 confirmations more come in 5 min, so it was strange.
Btw. do you think that if it would be rebranded, you could change from PoW to PoS? I mean 4 years distrubution is a lot, and PoS could be more robust, and more energy efficient.

With 1 minute block times, when the global hash drops by 85% it will take that long until the diff lowers.

Ah yes, Mr 10 GH could've been the culprit there ...
Nevertheless, the tx should appear as unconfirmed pretty much right away.
Activity: 96
Merit: 25
I have bought a handful of coins to test network, but would somebody willing to test it setting up a 10-20 nodes to sent it to them simultaneously.

Without it, it's hard to test with 2-3 computers, throughput of network. I can't make a couple of VMs, but it won't be enough.
I am interested in such a kind of performance test and would like to participate, but in the next weeks I have not so much time for it. In mid to late April, it would be possible for me. I'll confirm in 2-3 weeks.

It would be reasonable to use a test network for that. Is there currently a XCN testnet running?

Thanks.

well, just using the live net would be doable, too. TX fees are literally nothing, so would be interesting to compare testnet vs live.
I'm surprised about the initial report of having 8-10 min confirmation time. Whenever I did a transfer, it was visible the same instant (sent around the world, NZ -> Germany while talking on phone) and confirmed within the next block.
Keep in mind that with withdrawal limits in place, technically, no confirmation is required and instant tx is possible. This feature needs more support in the wallet to be actually usable but the foundation is there!

I don't know why it was like that maybe ot confirmed faster, but in client it showed first confirmation after 8 min, and I checked it. 5 confirmations more come in 5 min, so it was strange.
Btw. do you think that if it would be rebranded, you could change from PoW to PoS? I mean 4 years distrubution is a lot, and PoS could be more robust, and more energy efficient.

With 1 minute block times, when the global hash drops by 85% it will take that long until the diff lowers.
Activity: 882
Merit: 310

Thanks.

Thanks.

I think when they tested the diff was high and Mr 10GH had just left.

Thanks.

legendary
Black Belt Developer

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist

legendary
Black Belt Developer
Finally I get my hands on some Cryptonite.
Now we can swap xD.
Kidding.
Btw. counterfainted coins are black listed, and can't get to circulating supply, within network (only on chinese exchanges) yes?

Also we could make test on throughput of network and how it would handle it, with some batch scripting, if there would be some participants to it.

So guys what do you think?

Is there a swap undergoing or planned, as I hold some coins too.

We talked about a possible coin swap to have a clean blockchain. Nothing planned yet. It should go along with the rebranding.
Activity: 546
Merit: 137
Finally I get my hands on some Cryptonite.
Now we can swap xD.
Kidding.
Btw. counterfainted coins are black listed, and can't get to circulating supply, within network (only on chinese exchanges) yes?

Also we could make test on throughput of network and how it would handle it, with some batch scripting, if there would be some participants to it.

So guys what do you think?

Is there a swap undergoing or planned, as I hold some coins too.
what am i missing to import a XCN paper-wallet from within the new Windows wallet? i've been running 1.4.2 until today updated with the Cryptonite-0-1-5-db61.zip version.

i decided to send my XCN to a second laptop and install the db61 version (non backward compatible) then sent it back to the new empty wallet. worked fine, and still shows older transactions.

going to buy a couple Freiexchange shares too...

In console use:

importprivkey [yourprivatekey]
Pages:
Jump to: