Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 165. (Read 379973 times)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0
well, atm network hashing power seems to go up again.

At least the pool i am mining for went up from 18MH/s yesterday to 53MH/s today

http://yac.ltcoin.net
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
I tried to mine YAC on my IBM HS23 blade server (16 cores), and got:

{
    "blocks" : 68999,
    "currentblocksize" : 1000,
    "currentblocktx" : 0,
    "difficulty" : 2.68750464,
    "errors" : "",
    "generate" : true,
    "genproclimit" : -1,
    "hashespersec" : 251006,
    "networkhashps" : 83718908,
    "pooledtx" : 0,
    "testnet" : false,
    "Nfactor" : 7,
    "N" : 256,
    "powreward" : 21.20000000
}

Looks like the network hashrate is somewhat equivalent to ~364 blade servers.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
To me both options are about the same, if everyone has a GPU miner for this coin, then it's about the same as no-one having a GPU miner. Right now we got one guy it appears, with a very decent GPU implementation.   If he abused that however, it could really damage the coin, at least if my calculations and the net hash rate estimates are correct.

These are mine calculations:
Activity: 462
Let's hope mtrlt either holds on to his GPU kernel like it appears he has to this point, or if released, it's released to all. Anything else risks the stability of the YaCoin network.

This is indeed my plan.

A || B ?  Wink

To me both options are about the same, if everyone has a GPU miner for this coin, then it's about the same as no-one having a GPU miner. Right now we got one guy it appears, with a very decent GPU implementation.   If he abused that however, it could really damage the coin, at least if my calculations and the net hash rate estimates are correct.

I'd like to learn more about the issues at N=8K before I'd feel comfortable buying up any more YAC. The fact that the GPU/CPU ratio appears to be shrinking over time could be encouraging, but even at a 10:1 ratio, there would still be very little reason to CPU mine if GPU mining somehow got out.  And if it turned into a GPU coin, I'd think a much higher coin price would be necessary to justify any miners switching over their rigs to this coin for a fraction of the hash rate (after N goes past 1024). This is a very interesting coin.
Activity: 434
Let's hope mtrlt either holds on to his GPU kernel like it appears he has to this point, or if released, it's released to all. Anything else risks the stability of the YaCoin network.

This is indeed my plan.

Thank you for your effort ! Really glad to see people coming together to help this coin out. I for one really like YAC and hope to see it walk Smiley
The cryptocoin watcher

This is indeed my plan.

A || B ?  Wink

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH

This is indeed my plan.

A || B ?  Wink
Activity: 104

This is indeed my plan.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
It would be amazing one if I could understand anything the smart guys are talking about  Grin
Activity: 94
... this is the best thread in the entire alt subforum.

can't agree more...
It sounds more like a kernel level bug to me. Note that the author said it was throwing invalid hashes, not a very slow rate of valid hashes.

Good point, we shall see.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
The cryptocoin watcher
... this is the best thread in the entire alt subforum.

guess many insiders do it at least the ones who are capable to write opencl code and they wont share their code with just everyone as long as they are making profit.

as soon as they dont make any profit anymore with mining they will sell the code, then when not making profit with selling anymore you will see it on github for free.

If i am wrong prove it and publish working code Smiley

The data does not suggest this.

According to mtlrt, at current N = 256, a top end video card could get around 2.004 MH/s with a HD6990 and his kernel. That means for a mid-size GPU farm owner with 50 7950s/7970s or such may see around 75MH/s or so, or more (a very rough estimate, based on performance difference between 6990 and 7950/7970).

According to yacoind:
Code:
# ./yacoind getmininginfo
{
    "blocks" : 68606,
    "currentblocksize" : 2275,
    "currentblocktx" : 5,
    "difficulty" : 3.01596016,
    "errors" : "",
    "generate" : false,
    "genproclimit" : -1,
    "hashespersec" : 0,
    "networkhashps" : 72345435,
    "pooledtx" : 5,
    "testnet" : false,
    "Nfactor" : 7,
    "N" : 256,
    "powreward" : 20.80000000
}

Current network hash rate is estimated at 72.3MH (this is with the newest yacoin source). With just ONE mid-range GPU farm owner being able to generate more than the current YaCoin network at this point, this does not look like there are ANY "GPU insiders" mining. Or if there are, they are not hitting it with a decent sized GPU farm. However, this also raises issues of the possibility of a 51% attack if one or two ill-meaning farm owners get a hold of a GPU miner. Let's hope mtrlt either holds on to his GPU kernel like it appears he has to this point, or if released, it's released to all. Anything else risks the stability of the YaCoin network.

The other risk here is a possible inadvertent "difficulty attack" if this N=8192 issue is real and a GPU miner is released to all. At that point, difficulty would increase sharply, and once N=8192 is hit, drop off a cliff. I wonder if there would be enough hash power after that to get it back to a sane level without necessitating a hard fork like feathercoin has done (maybe WindMaster has more input on this). Also, whether POS minting would be enough during that time to validate new transactions on the network. Maybe others much more knowledgeable than I on these matters could comment.

I am hopeful that the 8192 issue is a more fundamental problem with GPU mining on this coin. Most serious GPU miners have 7950s or 7970s instead of 6990s, so this issue may be run into even earlier on one of those cards, as the memory amount and bandwidth on the 7950 at least is a good amount less than on the 6990. This community is ingenious, however, as the litecoin experience had shown. But if you had the guy that wrote the scrypt kernel for reaper having issues at 8192 after trying multiple lookup gap and TMTO hacks, then there is some real life for this coin I think.
AGD
legendary
Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key
I am using the latest Windmaster version of yacoind on Debian and now my CPU (Intel Core i7 3930k 12 cores) shows only about half usage while mining. When I run minerd to mine instead of yacoind "top" shows full usage. Any idea?
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
guess many insiders do it at least the ones who are capable to write opencl code and they wont share their code with just everyone as long as they are making profit.

as soon as they dont make any profit anymore with mining they will sell the code, then when not making profit with selling anymore you will see it on github for free.

If i am wrong prove it and publish working code Smiley
Activity: 322
how many people are mining using GPU?
Activity: 104
GPU: HD6990 underclocked from 830/1250 to 738/1250
CPU: WindMaster's 4 year old dual Xeon E5450

Amazon says that's a $1000 card vs a $400 CPU, and Google says it's ~400 Watts vs 80 Watts (just a quick search, these numbers may be off), if anyone wants to calculate corrected ratios.

Good point! I'll fix my numbers.

^^ Have you tried playing with the lookup gap more? You should still hit faster GPU performance as by 8192 you will have moved off the CPU cache and are writing to RAM (maybe also L3).

I've played with it quite a bit. Also, nothing helped with 8192, it's all invalids.
The cryptocoin watcher
GPU: HD6990 underclocked from 830/1250 to 738/1250
CPU: WindMaster's 4 year old dual Xeon E5450

Amazon says that's a $1000 card vs a $400 CPU, and Google says it's ~400 Watts vs 80 Watts (just a quick search, these numbers may be off), if anyone wants to calculate corrected ratios.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
^^ Have you tried playing with the lookup gap more? You should still hit faster GPU performance as by 8192 you will have moved off the CPU cache and are writing to RAM (maybe also L3).
Jump to: