Pages:
Author

Topic: Anti-Atheist Bigotry: Atheists Are As Distrusted As Rapists - page 4. (Read 4706 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.

When you examine anything that expresses something, you find that the people who are doing the expressing have a religion going for themselves. Dictionary.com, as I have shown above, lets us know that if for no other reason, blatant expressing is a religion under #6 which says, "something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice."

Atheism is alive and active. It is a religion.

Cool

So is looking things up in the dictionary, apparently.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373

Nothing to imply. Stand the dictionary defs up against religion, and you will find that atheism is a religion. Now, I'll grant you that some people will press the issue saying that atheism is only a philosophy. But atheism is so close to religion that it might as well be one if it isn't.

Since you are too lazy to look at a dictionary... here's a link and quote

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion
religion
noun re·li·gion \ri-ˈli-jən\
Popularity: Top 1% of lookups
Simple Definition of religion

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

Pray tell us, how does an Atheist fit either of these definitions?

Okay. I'll show you again. From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion?s=t:
Here is another refutation from actual Atheists...

https://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism
What Is Atheism?

No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences...

...Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion.
The whole idea of atheism suggesting what its definitions and boundaries and meanings are, shows that even atheism has identified its dogma. This is one of the greatest ways in which atheism, itself, expresses that it is a religion, of course, in contradiction to what they formally say.

And finally, since I know you love Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion
Irreligion (adjective form: non-religious or irreligious) is the absence, indifference, or rejection of religion.[1]

When characterized as the rejection of religious belief, it encompasses atheism, agnosticism, religious dissidence, and secular humanism. When characterized as the absence of religious belief, it may also include "spiritual but not religious", pandeism, ignosticism, nontheism, pantheism, panentheism, and freethought. When characterized as indifference to religion, it is known as apatheism.

When you examine anything that expresses something, you find that the people who are doing the expressing have a religion going for themselves. Dictionary.com, as I have shown above, lets us know that if for no other reason, blatant expressing is a religion under #6 which says, "something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice."

Atheism is alive and active. It is a religion.

Cool
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Blah blah blah

Once again, Atheism is not a religion, and does not believe anything beyond, "Your God does not exist"

Once again, there is even a post where I stood the dictionary definition of "religion" up against atheism, and showed that atheism is a religion.

Since anyone can do this except, obviously, you... mwahahahahaha.

Implying at least 2 logical fallacies and a wrong definition, yes you managed to "prove" this.

Nothing to imply. Stand the dictionary defs up against religion, and you will find that atheism is a religion. Now, I'll grant you that some people will press the issue saying that atheism is only a philosophy. But atheism is so close to religion that it might as well be one if it isn't.

Since you are too lazy to look at a dictionary... here's a link and quote

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion
religion
noun re·li·gion \ri-ˈli-jən\
Popularity: Top 1% of lookups
Simple Definition of religion

: the belief in a god or in a group of gods

: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

Pray tell us, how does an Atheist fit either of these definitions?

Here is another refutation from actual Atheists...

https://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism
What Is Atheism?

No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences...

...Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion.

And finally, since I know you love Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion
Irreligion (adjective form: non-religious or irreligious) is the absence, indifference, or rejection of religion.[1]

When characterized as the rejection of religious belief, it encompasses atheism, agnosticism, religious dissidence, and secular humanism. When characterized as the absence of religious belief, it may also include "spiritual but not religious", pandeism, ignosticism, nontheism, pantheism, panentheism, and freethought. When characterized as indifference to religion, it is known as apatheism.
legendary
Blah blah blah

Once again, Atheism is not a religion, and does not believe anything beyond, "Your God does not exist"

Once again, there is even a post where I stood the dictionary definition of "religion" up against atheism, and showed that atheism is a religion.

Cool

Implying at least 2 logical fallacies and a wrong definition, yes you managed to "prove" this.

Cool
Activity: 840
Merit: 529
Blah blah blah

Cool

legendary
Blah blah blah

Cool

Only one of the dictionary definitions. None of the other definitions show that.

Here's one that shows that atheism quite clearly is *not* a religion:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/religion

"The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods"

Your definition might be in dictionaries, but it's not the common definition.

So now you are essentially saying that people are idiots, and don't read the dictionary. Like they listen to you rather than the dictionary.

That's okay, though. Since it seems to make you feel better - at least on the outside.

Cool

No, that's not what I'm saying, as you're well aware. Don't just believe me - I gave you a link to the dictionary, use it.

I'm embarrassed. I have played your game of deceit. I did it by telling you what you were saying, even though I knew better. I am ashamed. I should never want to be like you.

When you look through the definitions in the Oxford Dictionary, you will find, more concisely, the same definitions as in Dictionary.com.

Both dictionaries show that atheism is a religion.

Cool
donator
Poor impulse control.
Blah blah blah

Cool

Only one of the dictionary definitions. None of the other definitions show that.

"The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods"

So now you are essentially saying that people are idiots, and don't read the dictionary. Like they listen to you rather than the dictionary.

That's okay, though. Since it seems to make you feel better - at least on the outside.

Cool

No, that's not what I'm saying, as you're well aware. Don't just believe me - I gave you a link to the dictionary, use it.

Activity: 798
Merit: 722
Blah blah blah

The only idiot here is you... who thinks he can pick and choose which of the dozen definitions he prefers... that's not how it works mate
legendary
Blah blah blah

Cool

Cool
donator
Poor impulse control.
Blah blah blah

Cool

legendary
Blah blah blah

Cool
Blah blah blah

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
Not sure. All I can tell you is that a huge and warty ethereal johnson slipped inside and wreaked havoc. The van was a Ford Transit if that narrows it down.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
I became an atheist after God lured me into his sex van and raped me...

Was it Vishnu or Holy Trinity?
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I became an atheist after God lured me into his sex van and raped me. What kind of deity pulls that type of shit?
Activity: 658
Merit: 502
legendary
This thread is utterly ridiculous. Of course rapists are trusted... by other rapists. Four of them hold him down, and the other one does her thing.

Smiley
donator
Poor impulse control.
It is easily possible to prove something that does not exist.

I have no elephants in my house. Or I am not drinking alcohol.

Only true in the trivial cases where something is provable, but not true for all cases. Do you have invisible microscopic elephants that run from you when you attempt to investigate them? Have you drunk alcohol that tastes and smells like like water and does not get you drunk and that someone has been putting in your water pipes?

This is an illustration of why the burden of proof regarding the existence of god is with those who claim a god or gods to exist.

Since when are provable arguments trivial?

Trivially provable compared to that which is in principle unprovable.

When the definition of elephant includes "invisible microscopic elephants" and the definition of alcohol includes "alcohol that tastes and smells like like water and does not get you drunk" then you may have a point.
But currently neither are true so your argument fails as a strawman.

Firstly, prove that you do or don't have completely undetectable elephants in your house. You can't. Why? They cannot be detected. Therefore you cannot prove they are there. Or not.

It's not a strawman argument. I'm not claiming this is your idea, I'm adding new concepts.

The point being that it is possible to prove a negative.

Perhaps in some well defined cases, but not in all or even most cases.

This does not mean that it is possible that God does or does not exist, unless you define God as such that such a statement actually becomes provable.
Given that there is no universally consistent  set of properties attributable to God that does make it harder to prove anything.

Quite true - definitions are everything in this case. Terms have to be explicit, including what is meant by "God". This varies so much it's practically idiosyncratic with every person defining "god" or "gods" in their own way, slightly different to the next person. If you define your terms to suit, you can prove god exists or doesn't exist.

In summary: God may or may not exist, for values of ominpotence between 0 and 1.
legendary
It is easily possible to prove something that does not exist.

I have no elephants in my house. Or I am not drinking alcohol.

Only true in the trivial cases where something is provable, but not true for all cases. Do you have invisible microscopic elephants that run from you when you attempt to investigate them? Have you drunk alcohol that tastes and smells like like water and does not get you drunk and that someone has been putting in your water pipes?

This is an illustration of why the burden of proof regarding the existence of god is with those who claim a god or gods to exist.

Since when are provable arguments trivial?

When the definition of elephant includes "invisible microscopic elephants" and the definition of alcohol includes "alcohol that tastes and smells like like water and does not get you drunk" then you may have a point.
But currently neither are true so your argument fails as a strawman.

The point being that it is possible to prove a negative.

This does not mean that it is possible that God does or does not exist, unless you define God as such that such a statement actually becomes provable.
Given that there is no universally consistent  set of properties attributable to God that does make it harder to prove anything.

Anecdotal evidence does not constitute proof... you cannot prove a negative claim...

You might remember what you ate for breakfast, but you could never prove it to anyone

You may find it very difficult to prove a negative claim, but the thing that you can often prove is that there is a chance that the negative claim is correct.

If there is a chance that God exists, then stating that He doesn't is a possible lie.

Stick to the truth that you think is the truth, rather than the thing you know you don't know for sure. Atheism is setting itself up as a potential lie in the face of knowing that it is a potential lie. Thus, it is a religion, just like all the other religions that exist by faith.

Cool
Disabled Man Viciously Beaten for Being an Atheist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJsuJ1QpKZA
Pages:
Jump to: