Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread - page 10. (Read 301154 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
initramfs.bin.SD-20141016.tar.gz is the last firmware that supports adjusting voltage. Everything after that is sabotaged by bitmain.

None of smit1237's available firmwares have voltage control, as they are based on initramfs.bin.SD-20150129.tar.gz.

A good S4 will run 225MHz at 0710-0720, average S4 will need 0725, bad S4 will need 0730 to be stable at 225MHz. The lower the better, of course. Proceed at your own risk if using the stock S4 PSU.

With the stock PSU, i'm doing 0717 @ 2.05~TH/s, its not glorious but it does put the at the wall draw at under 1400watts, not sure how much i should push it, even though it should be able to feed 1440Watts so 1600Watts at the wall. I'm not sure i trust it.

Its not the stock PSU but its a replacement of the same, so...

You could probably get away with 0720 212 or 218 MHz, but that would be the absolute limit. I've run them at 225mhz and had PSUs die.
legendary
Activity: 1456
initramfs.bin.SD-20141016.tar.gz is the last firmware that supports adjusting voltage. Everything after that is sabotaged by bitmain.

None of smit1237's available firmwares have voltage control, as they are based on initramfs.bin.SD-20150129.tar.gz.

A good S4 will run 225MHz at 0710-0720, average S4 will need 0725, bad S4 will need 0730 to be stable at 225MHz. The lower the better, of course. Proceed at your own risk if using the stock S4 PSU.

With the stock PSU, i'm doing 0717 @ 2.05~TH/s, its not glorious but it does put the at the wall draw at under 1400watts, not sure how much i should push it, even though it should be able to feed 1440Watts so 1600Watts at the wall. I'm not sure i trust it.

I really never did much OC on the S4's. Never went to high since I was afraid of PSU's after hearing about some having such bad luck.   I had ordered during different batches so some of the bolt power and some of PCIe

I always had a 15 amp 120 for each machine though.  So it did not have to share with other items.   I never burnt one up with regular clock so I feel pretty good about that.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

legendary
Activity: 1596

legendary
Which firmware support voltage control of the S4?
Now with the cool weather, I can get 225 and stay under 50c, but I start getting random X's and sometimes the miner will die(no API or Web control) and I have to power cycle it.
Do I need to lower the voltage some to overclock, or raise it in this case?

The older one, you need to rewrite the firmware to a old firmware version, then setup a new CGMiner version. I'd recommend looking into getting the firmware off smits.

Happen to know the last version that supported it?
https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140930114518599JXGHWWD80660
Which custom version from Smits? Found this person: https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/smits-374051
May be going over my head for a few hundred GH, but I love to tinker so seems interesting at the same time Smiley

From memory i was told it was told October 2014.
Would be the oldest one here;
https://www.bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140930114518599JXGHWWD80660

And no "smit1237"
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--940250

I'm not using the bitmain's i'm using his (smit1237's) low fan speed version, but i'm not sure if i was able to enable volt control because i did it in a certain way or i got a version of his firmware that wasn't meant to be public.

If you dig through a couples of page you'll probably find my post asking the same question. Though i did not find the solution through this topic.
Activity: 979
Merit: 510
Now with the cool weather, I can get 225 and stay under 50c, but I start getting random X's and sometimes the miner will die(no API or Web control) and I have to power cycle it.

The older one, you need to rewrite the firmware to a old firmware version, then setup a new CGMiner version. I'd recommend looking into getting the firmware off smits.

Happen to know the last version that supported it?
https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140930114518599JXGHWWD80660
Which custom version from Smits? Found this person: https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/smits-374051
May be going over my head for a few hundred GH, but I love to tinker so seems interesting at the same time Smiley
legendary

Activity: 979
Merit: 510
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
My main concern is noise in a share house so I'm keen to get smits up and running but if it's too complicated I better try the standard FW first I suppose.

Hey see here for all the tips u need concerning the S4

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12444425

Ah sweet I saw that post before but wasn't sure if it was the most up to date thanks!

[/quote]

Ebay Australia is where i sold it..

$1000 for the unit & $200 postage...

I hand delivered the unit as it was only a 45min drive away...

$1250 Australian is $850 US

I also sold my C1 for $550 Aust which is $400 US which is what i paid for it too..
[/quote]

I just got my S4 in Aus for $400 USD delivered or there abouts.

Are you still mining? Any tips for a new miner downunder?
Activity: 676
Merit: 501
My main concern is noise in a share house so I'm keen to get smits up and running but if it's too complicated I better try the standard FW first I suppose.

Hey see here for all the tips u need concerning the S4

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12444425
Activity: 676
Merit: 501
Im happy to say i sold my S4 today for what i paid for it 9 months ago.. US$850

I leave this thread after many month of fun...

Later!

What country did you get 850?   Mind saying where you sold it?

Dang someone paid quite a bit more the going rate.

Ebay Australia is where i sold it..

$1000 for the unit & $200 postage...

I hand delivered the unit as it was only a 45min drive away...

$1250 Australian is $850 US

I also sold my C1 for $550 Aust which is $400 US which is what i paid for it too..
legendary

Honestly if your main concern in noise I would avoid S4's.  They are 2 TB machines that are not known for being quiet in most cases.

What part of it was to complicated?   I personally only used Smits firmware when nicehash was doing well over BTC, but that does not seem to happen to often now.  It's at negative 10 percent on sha256.

But it is a custom firmware he did very good at making.  It should be just flashing firmware. (Yes all firmware flashing has possibility of going wrong I suggest on S4 make a backup of SD before flashing).

Alright thanks I'll make sure to back up before flashing!

I highly suggest it there are backups on here if needed.  But I always liked my own backups as I could flash them quick on S4's.  That is part of why i loved them was running off SD card wish all bitmain miners used SD cards.

But it should not be to hard on flashing just like normal firmware.  It's been a while since I have used it though.

Honestly if your main concern in noise I would avoid S4's.  They are 2 TB machines that are not known for being quiet in most cases.

What part of it was to complicated?   I personally only used Smits firmware when nicehash was doing well over BTC, but that does not seem to happen to often now.  It's at negative 10 percent on sha256.

But it is a custom firmware he did very good at making.  It should be just flashing firmware. (Yes all firmware flashing has possibility of going wrong I suggest on S4 make a backup of SD before flashing).

Alright thanks I'll make sure to back up before flashing!
legendary

legendary
I've been reading up all I can on the s4 Doggies set up guide doesn't seem to have been updated recently about firmware? can someone point me towards what I should do to get this up and running at it's best? I have read a lot of concerns around different pools and difficulty settings which I don't quite understand yet.

You can safely get the firmwares you want from Bitmain's website. https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140930114518599JXGHWWD80660

It is possible to flash your sd card to a old version and get volt control. If you use the latest Firmware that fix most serious issues, then you will lose volt control. The way to keep volt control while having smit's firmware + the proper cgminer version is convoluted to say the least.

I had a few of these and just kept the old firmware on them.  I did not want to lose control in case I ever did want to over/under clock.  I never had a issue with them running on old firmware.   I don't think there are any really serious issues as far as firmware.

It seemed the PSU was a problem more then firmware on S4's.  I may have been lucky but I never experienced that problem luckily.
legendary
I've been reading up all I can on the s4 Doggies set up guide doesn't seem to have been updated recently about firmware? can someone point me towards what I should do to get this up and running at it's best? I have read a lot of concerns around different pools and difficulty settings which I don't quite understand yet.

You can safely get the firmwares you want from Bitmain's website. https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720140930114518599JXGHWWD80660

It is possible to flash your sd card to a old version and get volt control. If you use the latest Firmware that fix most serious issues, then you will lose volt control. The way to keep volt control while having smit's firmware + the proper cgminer version is convoluted to say the least.
legendary
having some issues with an antminer s4

http://i.imgur.com/mm4mS2r.png

https://i.imgur.com/bWiB9Ce.png

so I pretty much figured out that I have a bad IO board by putting in a good working one into this miner from another working miner. I am having trouble locating anything on fixing or replacing this board. Anyone have any insight on this?

did u try bitmain??

Otherwise maybe look for people here on this forum with a broken one to sell..
I have tried bitmain. They went through some simple troubleshooting then told me im basically SOL.

Did it work and just stop?  Or did you get it like that?   

Need a little more details to help.  And if it's a board that would be hard to diagnose over the internet.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
having some issues with an antminer s4

http://i.imgur.com/mm4mS2r.png

https://i.imgur.com/bWiB9Ce.png

so I pretty much figured out that I have a bad IO board by putting in a good working one into this miner from another working miner. I am having trouble locating anything on fixing or replacing this board. Anyone have any insight on this?

did u try bitmain??

Otherwise maybe look for people here on this forum with a broken one to sell..

I have tried bitmain. They went through some simple troubleshooting then told me im basically SOL.
Pages:
Jump to: