Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone "all in" on bitcoin? - page 3. (Read 4733 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
December 27, 2013, 04:31:43 AM
I work in Afghanistan as a military contractor. I make a lot of money with no expenses (my house back home is being rented for the amount of the mortgage payment).

Every paycheck gets converted to bitcoins.

You can run silkroad dealership right out of Afghanistan. Wonders of globalization + bitcoin Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
December 27, 2013, 04:17:00 AM
I work in Afghanistan as a military contractor. I make a lot of money with no expenses (my house back home is being rented for the amount of the mortgage payment).

Every paycheck gets converted to bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265
December 27, 2013, 03:58:12 AM
I went into bitcoin with 10-20% amount of my savings. Now it has become a 60% of my savings and hopefully it will become 10x my savings.

So having 80% in BTC is only impressive if you started today Tongue
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
December 27, 2013, 02:48:54 AM
I'm partially in, having invested a percentage of my savings, some credit cards, and subsequent extra monthly income. When I first read about Bitcoin in April, I was immediately hooked and was glued to my computer for a week learning about it. I had to get invested somehow. My method of acquiring coins, however, is a bit of a roundabout story...

Back in May, I bought thousands of dollars worth of ASIC equipment in bitcoins, thinking it would be a brilliant idea to build miners based on an unfinished open-source project with chips that didn't exist yet. It was risky. At that time Bitcoin had just crashed from an ATH of $266 to $60. It then stabilized around $80-$130, which is when I bought most of my coins to pay for the hardware. Back then, GPU mining was still profitable and ASICS were just arriving on the scene. If we could get the chips and finish the board design on time, we would be second only to Avalon in having working ASIC miners. Those of us with big mining plans were praying for a BTC valuation of $100-$200 toward the end of the year, and certainly none of us would have predicted a valuation of over $500, much less $1000.

Long story short, the ASIC chips we were supposed to receive were sold out the back door, the Klondike board didn't get completed in time, difficulty soared far beyond predictions, and most of us ended up with chip refunds in bitcoins. Thank god for that. I personally lost a percentage of my initial investment and was pretty depressed about it for a few weeks, that is until the price run-up to $1200, where I watched my wallet grow to an amount of fiat I had never seen before.

While I regret my decision to get into mining, I don't regret the coins I bought in the process and I don't regret the excitement of being involved with such a game changing technology. If I hadn't, I'd have likely delayed buying so many bitcoins in May to meet deadlines and would have far fewer right now.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
December 27, 2013, 02:18:39 AM
I retook a 75% position at various points in the 600s. Not sure how much longer I'm gonna hodl.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
December 27, 2013, 02:13:33 AM
How will I be disappointed? It's not like there is looming global stock market crash in our future or anything. It's not like all of central and south America now has access to bitcoin. It's not like there is a debt crisis in the USA. It's not like the Fed is still printing $85 Billion a month.

oh shit.

unless you bought in for less than 750 I assume.  But its not only physical events that cause price changes so he may be right but its highly unlikely
Activity: 1232
Merit: 524
December 27, 2013, 02:11:38 AM
Sold all mine at $750, waiting for it to go back to $600s
Prepare for disappointment.

you serious? that is a ridiculous statement.

if you truly believe that, lets set up a bet on one of the bitcoin betting sites, ill take the other side for as many $ as you want.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 524
December 27, 2013, 02:10:06 AM
this thread is exactly what has always scared me about bitcoin

I am "all out" for reference purposes of this thread.
Activity: 616
December 27, 2013, 02:07:20 AM
How will I be disappointed? It's not like there is looming global stock market crash in our future or anything. It's not like all of central and south America now has access to bitcoin. It's not like there is a debt crisis in the USA. It's not like the Fed is still printing $85 Billion a month.

oh shit.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 27, 2013, 01:39:39 AM
Prepare for disappointment.

To OP:

I have over 80% of my savings in BTC/LTC at the moment but it's not as impressive as some earlier adopters...

I have a full-time job to pay the rent and get my kicks, but most everything extra I have goes into Crypto. I keep maybe $1000 in fiat just for whatever.
Activity: 616
December 27, 2013, 01:26:56 AM
Activity: 281
Merit: 100
December 27, 2013, 01:23:28 AM
I'm all in.  I have like 200$ in fiat, few thousand in BTC.

I took out a 2000$ credit card cash advance back in October.  That was a good plan, it tripled for me before I cashed out Smiley Got myself a nice business now because of it
legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
December 27, 2013, 01:21:57 AM
My net worth is primarily in my house, a lame 401k, a few stocks, and life insurance, we have always spent nearly as much as we make, typical American consumerism.

My only goal now is to buy more BTC at every opportunity. Through some timely trades in and out of Alts i have doubled my BTC position in two months with no new cash. I will buy local bitcoins whenever i get a dollar to spare. 

My take is if I lose it all, I won't be any different than before, which was nowhere. Let it ride baby.
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
December 27, 2013, 01:08:09 AM
Liquidated my Roth about 2 weeks ago. I have gained 70% since then. Once I get 100%+, gonna cash out my original investment and let it ride. I am confident this will happen, I am just not sure of the exact TIME it will happen yet haha. So far this has been a great experiment  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278
December 27, 2013, 01:05:43 AM
There was a poll on this recently. I'm one of the people who are more than all in. Took a family loan. My old man is considering getting a big loan to buy even more.

It doesn't even classify as a gamble. The technology is solid, so are the relevant economic and social factors. Bitcoin is going to hit at least $100k within a handful of years. Mathematical certainty.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
December 27, 2013, 01:01:42 AM
there are a few people that actually took out loans to buy BTC.. wildly crazy to me.

Yeah, for example this crazy bastard buying all-in at $50: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/i-am-about-to-do-something-massivley-stupid-149179

Probably lost all!

(didn't, cashed out initial investment at $170 and now has quite alot of free money)
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
December 27, 2013, 12:57:31 AM
I have less than one percent of my assets in bitcoin. I love bitcoin but don't trust it.  To be fair I am also a late adopter so capital appreciation has not been a factor. 

People who got in during/after the March/April bubble thought they were late adopters too.  It is still very early.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
December 27, 2013, 12:56:31 AM
hahaha,
1}i sold my second car to buy some alt coins.
2}i skipped my cc payment just to buy more coins.

This story has a happy ending. It could have went wrong. Be wise and research
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
December 27, 2013, 12:56:19 AM
All of our savings (besides some of our 401K) is in BTC.  Have not sold any toys.  Not that we have any to sell anyways. Wink 

It did not start out that way.  We threw a little in thinking we would gradually put more in as time went on.  But with BTC we learned fairly quickly that the best strategy can be just to throw it all in as quickly as possible, especially if it can be timed before it hits an ATH.  Wink

Oh, and our savings was nothing really impressive to begin with.  However, even putting a small amount into BTC and holding there for over 8 months can give some amazing returns.

Next year should be fun!  Grin

Kind of the same as you then. I started with a small amount during April without ever selling. As it grew so did the % of my worth but in BTC. By the time it grew to $1240 each, it was over 80% of my worth if that makes sense.

Now I am wondering if I should sell my 2nd car (I don't even use it anymore, just sitting in the garage, a 2 seater convertible) and take a risk with it? Or continue to let my car lose value every year sitting in the garage...

I would think that selling something you are not using would be a good idea.  You could possibly buy a new convertible in a year if the price increases at the same rate it did this year.  Of course, there are risks involved but I would say decide ASAP.  It appears that we have some real big things happening in the first quarter of 2014.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
December 27, 2013, 12:54:10 AM
All my fiat goes into BTC and my only income is through BTC at the moment. Now that there are more ways to transfer into CAD it's getting pretty comfortable Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: