Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone else having issues with their Antminer A3? - page 3. (Read 2269 times)

Activity: 162
Merit: 2
I have my A3 running at stock frequency with one APW3++ @ 115v (per my Kil-a-watt) with no problems since I got it. Why are you guys hooking up more PSUs to yours, if you are already using an APW3++? I don't even have the benefit of cold weather, with the high being in the 80s lately.
APW3++ are 1200W at 110V. Miner is about 1350W What you're doing may be working, but you're pushing the PSU outside the specs, and that is a risk.
And also starving the chips and the fans fighting for power..

My 830GH/s average at the stock frequency of 600 says differently!  Cool
That may be but you see what the required power for it is per manufacturer, either way nothing ill intended here... Roll Eyes
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
@ulewap

how did you fix your connection error?

do you have it plugged into a 110v or 220v?

220v. but had to send it back to china... will receive it hopefully in a few days. see if I can mine some sia if there is some left to mine
Activity: 434
Merit: 52
I have my A3 running at stock frequency with one APW3++ @ 115v (per my Kil-a-watt) with no problems since I got it. Why are you guys hooking up more PSUs to yours, if you are already using an APW3++? I don't even have the benefit of cold weather, with the high being in the 80s lately.
APW3++ are 1200W at 110V. Miner is about 1350W What you're doing may be working, but you're pushing the PSU outside the specs, and that is a risk.

Per Bitmain, the A3 is 1,186 watts DC. The power coming out of your wall is AC. The PSU converts AC to usable DC power, with some loss in the conversion process, leading to a higher draw in AC power at the wall than provided to the miner in DC. The only things one APW3++ can't solely power on 110v within specs at stock frequency, with its 1,200 watts DC max, are most S9s (11.5 TH/s batch excluded) and the T9. The APW3++ is operating within its specs, even if it is close to the top with the A3.
You are correct the page says that now. I'm pretty sure it said something different when I first checked, or maybe I got caught in people repeating that 1300W+ figure over and over. I know someone measured 1500W at the wall too (without overclock IIRC). In any case, if you're pulling less than about 1300W at the wall you should be OK.

I have 220V installation and most miners do because server PSUs usually give you more watts at 220V and you can take advantage of that. PSUs are usually more efficient at 220V too. Also, dealing with half the amps help with breakers, cables, etc...

The page does say that now, but as you rightly point out, draw at the wall is being reported much higher. Then again, maybe the March batch runs more efficiently? Makes me think of the D3, which is currently listed as being stock @ 15gh/s at the same 1200 wattage as the batch I got (which was listed and defaults @ 19gh/s). Not sure if the hardware is different, but considering that with BlissZ's firmware I can get 15gh/s out of mine @750...I trust my kill-o-watt way more than I trust Bitmain's numbers, especially when the listing isn't the same batch as the miner I'm using.

Half the amps is somewhat of a misnomer, you can run twice the amperage of a 220v intake breaker at 110v. The amperage on a breaker is a safety cut off, you still calculate the total wattage. Not really relevant either way, though, since 220s take up twice the space as 110s in the breaker box anyway...

And second vote in most cases for 220 (even though all my rigs are 110), PSUs and especially server PSUs run around 5% more efficiently (iirc) at 220. But at gold rating and above that discrepancy diminishes (or so I'm told, I can't currently do a comparison).
Activity: 140
Merit: 17

Per Bitmain, the A3 is 1,186 watts DC. The power coming out of your wall is AC. The PSU converts AC to usable DC power, with some loss in the conversion process, leading to a higher draw in AC power at the wall than provided to the miner in DC. The only things one APW3++ can't solely power on 110v within specs at stock frequency, with its 1,200 watts DC max, are most S9s (11.5 TH/s batch excluded) and the T9. The APW3++ is operating within its specs, even if it is close to the top with the A3.
You are correct the page says that now. I'm pretty sure it said something different when I first checked, or maybe I got caught in people repeating that 1300W+ figure over and over. I know someone measured 1500W at the wall too (without overclock IIRC). In any case, if you're pulling less than about 1300W at the wall you should be OK.

I have 220V installation and most miners do because server PSUs usually give you more watts at 220V and you can take advantage of that. PSUs are usually more efficient at 220V too. Also, dealing with half the amps help with breakers, cables, etc...
Activity: 4

My 830GH/s average at the stock frequency of 600 says differently!  Cool

Seconded. I suggest switching to 220 or adding a second PSU for one of the cards. Also keep in mind that if you're on a 15a circuit, you're pushing its limits and likely those of the wiring.

220V would be optimal, with better efficiency from the PSU, but a 15A 110V circuit is plenty capable of handling the load. I wouldn't recommend much more of anything on the circuit though. Don't forget to gauge your PSU power cord properly, especially if you go the single PSU route like I am!

Seconded. I suggest switching to 220 or adding a second PSU for one of the cards. Also keep in mind that if you're on a 15a circuit, you're pushing its limits and likely those of the wiring.
Activity: 140
Merit: 17
I have my A3 running at stock frequency with one APW3++ @ 115v (per my Kil-a-watt) with no problems since I got it. Why are you guys hooking up more PSUs to yours, if you are already using an APW3++? I don't even have the benefit of cold weather, with the high being in the 80s Fahrenheit lately.
Nevermind I just re-read that. I see what you mean about the PSU not being enough.

We do have a Bitmain Apw PSU, but we're running 120V.

How would you recommend utilizing 1 Bitmain PSU and 2 850W PSUs to power this thing at 120v?

I'm also running 120; my set up is, currently, one APW-3 on two boards and the mains, one 650W PSU on the remaining board. Once the profit decreases significantly, I will undervolt and leave it on just the APW3, but the current hashrate is worth the electrical cost.

If you want it to run APW efficently get a 220v basically 2 live wires and a neutral with a 20amp breaker ideally you want to run the sucker on a single PSU and 220v is the way to go

I already had the 650 lying around. I don't have room in my panel for another 220 right now (only space left is for a breaker box for an add on project), hence 110. Smiley
Activity: 178
Merit: 12
i did access the router settings page and looked at all of the devices that are connected and its not listed.

when i unplug the ethernet cable from the A3 it makes so fan adjustments and when i reconnect it - seems to "power" up again

so it seems like there is a signal/connection with the ethernet cable

When I setup my device.. Window Edge didn't let me in.. I download Opera Browser and was able.   Check you router for any lan connected mine didn't show Antmine it was lan connected port 192.168.1.168

Hope that help.  just check any lan connect port.  if you can't login in root root  get a different browser .. Edge sucks.
STATIC network settings do not work unless you have a static IP, if you run a modem and a router and obtain dynamic IP you should use DHCP network settings instead. Cold air intake is a must if in a heated environment.

Support Sia by mining their pool
Nevermind I just re-read that. I see what you mean about the PSU not being enough.

How would you recommend utilizing 1 Bitmain PSU and 2 850W PSUs to power this thing at 120v?

I'm also running 120; my set up is, currently, one APW-3 on two boards and the mains, one 650W PSU on the remaining board. Once the profit decreases significantly, I will undervolt and leave it on just the APW3, but the current hashrate is worth the electrical cost.

If you want it to run APW efficently get a 220v basically 2 live wires and a neutral with a 20amp breaker ideally you want to run the sucker on a single PSU and 220v is the way to go

Activity: 10
SSH on Windblows, use a program like putty (never used it, Windblows sucks)

On Linux use SSH command (duh)
ssh -p 22 [email protected].?.? <-whatever your miner's IP is..

user is root
pass is admin
(default bitmain user settings)

Not liable for what you do with this info.. And I am not sure exactly how to do up the firmware, have to check Bitmain instructions for that. Haven't done it.

Highly suggest getting a Google PHD before you try anything stupid..

And a 30 amp 220v outlet is overkill, I'd just use 10 amp 220, unless you are going to connect power distribution unit to it.

30amp 220v will run 3 APW3's. But without a PDU, if you have a faulty power supply, (over heating, short circuit etc..), it will not kick off the breaker if you are running a 10amp PSU on a 30 amp circuit, will just run til it lights on fire.. Safety concern there.

Activity: 94
Merit: 11
If your home breaker panel can handle it, request a contractor or electrician to install a 240V outlet with 30Amp breaker so you can plug the power supply in,  that's the best / only option to get it to perform correctly.

*sorry 30amp is too much, I stand corrected in the comment after mine
Activity: 5
This is likely a noob question, but how does one SSH into a miner?
Activity: 5
Thanks for the help. Will try this.

I have a copy of the firmware, Bitmain emailed it to me in a support ticket. And I've tried reflashing it to no avail.

But I will try to do this when powering up only the main board and let you know. Thanks again.
Pages:
Jump to: