Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone following the ebola outbreak? - page 12. (Read 39823 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
October 13, 2014, 10:17:18 AM
It seems to be spreading without anyone trying, are you thinking there is very little chance that it could be worse than it is now if the virus conscripts human wickedness in its war on humanity?

Sneezing and coughing on crowded buses/trains/events.   Yes, they could do that first.

I don't really believe in this. Ebola supposedly killed 4000 people in nearly one year. (Please note that lots of cases were only suspected to be ebola, but no rock solid proof for that.) In addition those places are the poorest countries on the world, right after some civil wars, no sanitation, contaminated tap water, poor hygienic standards,  poor health care system, incompetent authorities. I think those bio-terrorists would be more successful even by spreading flu. That kills 250000-500000 ppl worldwide each year.

They really haven't anything to sell yet.

I'm sure they will turn up with something pretty soon if there will be enough demand. If can't then they can pull Tamiflu and Relenza out of the hat again as wide spectrum antiviral drugs Smiley.

Perhaps you don't really have a handle on the mechanism of operation here.
Its not about # of deaths, its about amount of terror (government over-reaction in response to politically motivated violence).

Wars were started over a little over 3000 deaths on 9/11.

Flu virus just doesn't have the effect.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
October 13, 2014, 10:15:34 AM
http://rt.com/news/195536-ebola-russia-vaccine-send/

Vaccine efficiency is 70-90%.

The vaccine has so far proved efficient against various hemorrhagic fevers, including the Marburg virus which is very similar to Ebola.

Article says that Triazoverin is based on combined mix of attenuated strains of ebolavirus and marburgvirus. So this vaccine couldn't be used to protect immunocompromised people (e.g. HIV infected individuals).

So is it so that the Triazoverin has 70-90% efficiency against various hemorrhagic fevers but has not even tested against Ebola yet?
And the other vaccines based on a strain of Ebola should come out in the next six months?
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359
October 13, 2014, 09:57:25 AM
http://rt.com/news/195536-ebola-russia-vaccine-send/

Vaccine efficiency is 70-90%.

The vaccine has so far proved efficient against various hemorrhagic fevers, including the Marburg virus which is very similar to Ebola.

Article says that Triazoverin is based on the mix of alive attenuated strains of ebolavirus and marburgvirus. Alive attenuated vaccines are usually much better than recombinated or genetically engineered stuff... However, this kind of vaccines can't be used to protect immunocompromised people (e.g. HIV infected individuals), because their immune system won't be able to develop a suitable response against attenuated virus.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
October 13, 2014, 06:46:57 AM
It seems to be spreading without anyone trying, are you thinking there is very little chance that it could be worse than it is now if the virus conscripts human wickedness in its war on humanity?

Sneezing and coughing on crowded buses/trains/events.   Yes, they could do that first.

I don't really believe in this. Ebola supposedly killed 4000 people in nearly one year. (Please note that lots of cases were only suspected to be ebola, but no rock solid proof for that.) In addition those places are the poorest countries on the world, right after some civil wars, no sanitation, contaminated tap water, poor hygienic standards,  poor health care system, incompetent authorities. I think those bio-terrorists would be more successful even by spreading flu. That kills 250000-500000 ppl worldwide each year.

I'm sure they will turn up with something pretty soon if there will be enough demand. If can't then they can pull Tamiflu and Relenza out of the hat again as wide spectrum antiviral drugs Smiley.
Activity: 722
Merit: 500
October 13, 2014, 06:22:58 AM
BTW how can we know if this isn't just the latest WHO/pharma scam like the swine flu "pandemic" a few years ago?

You forgot to mention Sars and bird flu. If anyone thinks this hasn't been in the works for a while watch this.

http://youtu.be/BAkzNx3zFtQ

legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
October 13, 2014, 06:21:59 AM
BTW how can we know if this isn't just the latest WHO/pharma scam like the swine flu "pandemic" a few years ago?
Ebola is a fine candidate to spread fear and sell tons of stuff again.

Not a high margin on Saline solution and vitamin C which seems to be the most effective treatment regime so far.
legendary
Gresham's Lawyer
October 13, 2014, 06:20:39 AM
The bubonic plague did work for the mongols. Killing 1/3 of the population of europe. If ISIS use ebola as a weapon I don't think this will not work for them. Ebola just infected an american nurse in dallas without the terrorist help how much more if the terrorists is added to the equation.

Probably trying to spread ebola wouldn't be a great success. How these infected terrorist can inject their bodily fluids into many people without being noticed? Sneezing and coughing on crowded buses or trains? Yes that could do some harm but I think they would be more effective with a few dozens of traditional hand grenades.

Historically, also by blowing one's self up in crowded places so that it can be time-synchronized in multiple locations for maximal terror effect.

The few dozen grenades would be optional, or even improvised mines in the places where people would naturally run from the chaos.
This could put infected people in hospitals for stays long enough so where symptoms would ultimately manifest in the hospitals.

The win for the terrorist here, is the imposition of martial law by your own state.
legendary
October 13, 2014, 06:11:26 AM
Ebola is a fine candidate to spread fear and sell tons of stuff again.
legendary
October 13, 2014, 06:01:28 AM
The bubonic plague did work for the mongols. Killing 1/3 of the population of europe. If ISIS use ebola as a weapon I don't think this will not work for them. Ebola just infected an american nurse in dallas without the terrorist help how much more if the terrorists is added to the equation.

Probably trying to spread ebola wouldn't be a great success. How these infected terrorist can inject their bodily fluids into many people without being noticed? Sneezing and coughing on crowded buses or trains? Yes that could do some harm but I think they would be more effective with a few dozens of traditional hand grenades.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
October 13, 2014, 05:30:37 AM
I have heard EI is considering infecting some members and going to the States and Europe to contaminate people, this is chilly Embarrassed
*EI=ISIS

I don't think this is very plausible. It would take very specific timing which is somewhat random for this to work also as soon as it becomes apparent that this is happening travel could simply be restricted to/from west Africa to prevent this from working.
Well, how long does ebola stay on a corpse? ISIL has organized branches well west of Sinai, so I'd guess you'd just need an infected corpse for non-Arab ISIL members to use in a suicide mission. They'd just rub it all over themselves or cannibalize the corpse like they're on Walking Dead. Idunno how many virgins their anti-caliph prescribes for that kind of hardcore martyrdom, though... at least 100, hopefully.

(I'm guessing "anti-caliph" is appropriate since it's basically a Sunni version of the HRE's anti-pope ... ETA: On second thought, I don't recall the HRE's anti-pope telling people to eat human corpses infected with ebola so they could infect as many foreigners as possible before they bleed to death from every orifice. -But history's written by the victors, so who knows?)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
October 13, 2014, 01:20:36 AM
I have heard EI is considering infecting some members and going to the States and Europe to contaminate people, this is chilly Embarrassed
*EI=ISIS

I don't think this is very plausible. It would take very specific timing which is somewhat random for this to work also as soon as it becomes apparent that this is happening travel could simply be restricted to/from west Africa to prevent this from working.
Well, how long does ebola stay on a corpse? ISIL has organized branches well west of Sinai, so I'd guess you'd just need an infected corpse for non-Arab ISIL members to use in a suicide mission. They'd just rub it all over themselves or cannibalize the corpse like they're on Walking Dead. Idunno how many virgins their anti-caliph prescribes for that kind of hardcore martyrdom, though... at least 100, hopefully.

(I'm guessing "anti-caliph" is appropriate since it's basically a Sunni version of the HRE's anti-pope ... ETA: On second thought, I don't recall the HRE's anti-pope telling people to eat human corpses infected with ebola so they could infect as many foreigners as possible before they bleed to death from every orifice. -But history's written by the victors, so who knows?)
Activity: 151
Merit: 100
October 12, 2014, 10:13:12 PM
*EI=ISIS

Activity: 322
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!
October 12, 2014, 05:07:49 PM

Just having some troubles understanding who's EI. Could you explain better?

May be Spanish acronym of ISIS/ISIL (or literally, IS) - Estado Islámico (EI). Full Spanish name would be Estado Islámico de Irak y el Levante (EIIL).

(in case you didn't have enough acronyms to remember Tongue)

Thank You...now it make more sense!  Roll Eyes
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
October 12, 2014, 04:25:58 PM

May be Spanish acronym of ISIS/ISIL (or literally, IS) - Estado Islámico (EI). Full Spanish name would be Estado Islámico de Irak y el Levante (EIIL).

(in case you didn't have enough acronyms to remember Tongue)
Activity: 322
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!
October 12, 2014, 08:09:07 AM

Activity: 722
October 12, 2014, 07:54:36 AM

You're right. That's not cool.
Activity: 1022
October 12, 2014, 07:12:35 AM
Activity: 294
October 12, 2014, 06:18:17 AM
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
October 11, 2014, 10:31:06 AM
The number of reported cases for the last week was significantly lower than the previous week. But at the same time, there are concerns that the cases are getting massively under-reported now.
Something nobody is talking about is that this isn't just going away.  After this initial pandemic or lack of, a new world exists, with a new person at the party.  Mr. Ebola.
Pages:
Jump to: