Pages:
Author

Topic: Are airdrops safe? - page 13. (Read 9479 times)

copper member
Activity: 966
Merit: 14
July 30, 2019, 04:03:59 PM
To the best of my knowledge only a few are safe while majority are scams, email spammers etc. The few good one hardly asks for unnecessary requirements while the fraudulent ones will ask or lead users to a phishing website to steal their informations. Let's endeavour to check any airdrop before participating.
copper member
Activity: 420
Merit: 2
July 30, 2019, 03:35:07 PM
Airdrops are never safe. How can you ever trust a project which is yet to be launched into this crypto space full of scams and organizing airdrop. Even the existing ones are not safe, how much more upcoming ones with no track record
copper member
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
July 30, 2019, 03:23:18 PM
Usually airdrop forms don't ask for private keys. Though sometimes it can explore the identity of a person but it's
impossible to get your coins without accessing your wallet. If any airdrop form ask you to fill it with private keys that means it's a scam. Beware of them and you'll be safe.
Activity: 1498
Merit: 146
July 30, 2019, 02:53:17 PM
Airdrop is not dangerous. The airdrop program is a quick completion program. As long as I participate in the airdrop program, I have never found one asking to sign a message or something.
Most airdrops are just useless to participate so we are wasting our time by joining on these airdrops.

If an airdrop ask you to pay some eth as transaction fee or they ask for any kind of your wallet keys then they are scammers.
copper member
Activity: 476
Merit: 4
July 30, 2019, 02:44:34 PM
Ofcourse Airdrop is safe except for the few ones that will want to steal your personal data. Be very careful before participating in any, at least verify the authenticity. I won't recommend airdrop that will ask you to send some amount of ETH before receiving your reward.
Activity: 199
Merit: 3
July 30, 2019, 02:32:45 PM
Airdrop is not dangerous. The airdrop program is a quick completion program. As long as I participate in the airdrop program, I have never found one asking to sign a message or something.
Activity: 350
Merit: 10
HiveNet - Distributed Cloud Computing
July 30, 2019, 02:05:09 PM
Everything in this world has its pros and cons so as in cryptocurrency. In this world of hackers, its likely and possible that your wallet can be hacked and your airdrops tokens might be stolen. Well, personally, I haven't participated in airdrops campaign before so I can't determine whether its safe or not.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124
July 30, 2019, 01:20:56 PM
The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?
Or is signing a message different than signing a transaction?
In the world of hackers, there is no impossibility and there is no length to which they would not go to get some accounts hacked, even as you are asking this question, there may be an hacker among us which is already seeing the possibility of using the system you talked about to hack even if they had not tried it before.

When it comes to airdrop, there is always going to be malwares associated to some, so what I did for airdrop was to open a separate email for it, also have another address opened for it, so that even if I will get hacked, it will still be my airdrop account. The thing is, it is difficult to say if airdrop is safe, but easy to stay safe if we can learn to protect our accounts by all possible means. So I would not advise you stay away from airdrop, participate but be selective of the projects.
Activity: 576
Merit: 39
July 30, 2019, 07:57:56 AM
The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?

What airdrop are you talking about? it sounds really suspicious because they are requiring you to sign something that most kind of airdrop being conducted doesn't do anything like that, but if you can say what airdrop is that we might actually check the string they are giving and determine if it is safe or not.
Activity: 1260
Merit: 100
July 30, 2019, 05:20:11 AM

Airdrop should not requiring something like that, peoples usually just need to follow, retweet, or join some channels.
As i know in Ethereum, we will need to using private key to sign transaction, so it will be a dangerous thing if only used for airdrop.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277
July 30, 2019, 03:05:18 AM

That doesn't sound right to me. If it's an airdrop, they shouldn't be asking anything of you.
An airdrop is a free distribution of coins to promote the project. If they are sending out to addresses, why would you need to prove you own the address? It sounds like they are hoping someone will make a mistake and hand over private information, such as KYC data or private key. I would recommend to stay away.
Activity: 350
Merit: 3
Change Your Worlds Build a New Era!
July 30, 2019, 02:55:02 AM
safe or not, I don't really know about them, because I personally have never been interested in or liked some kind of airdrops. My advice is just one, don't ever do KYC just for free coins or some sort of airdrop, consideration before making that decision
Activity: 2520
Merit: 605
July 30, 2019, 02:43:43 AM

Airdrop in quote is safe If it is to be used in the right way, just like ICO too is also safe, but the problem is with the scammers that has hijacked this system, prior to when this industry got filled with scammers, airdrop also use to give so much money when you participate in it and it is quite less stressful and short to participate in like ICO, but right now, you have to be extremely careful about the type of airdrop that you look into.

There are so many scammers that are using airdrop nowadays to just collect your information, so that they can have access to token details that you have supplied to them through their airdrop. There was one that I participated in recently, just barely two weeks of it, I have started seeing lot of attempt to illegally crack into my cryptocurrency mail.
copper member
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
July 29, 2019, 07:50:15 PM
If you are participating in airdrops, it is good practice to have a dedicated wallet to that so as to limit your risks. Also avoid any interaction that exposes your private keys, there are better options to naviigate this with metamask.io.Avoid downloading links to avoid malware that could compromise your laptop
Activity: 247
Merit: 1
July 29, 2019, 07:03:47 PM
Some can be scams so definitely be clear. They should always be free and be sure to never give your private key !
Activity: 783
Merit: 108
July 29, 2019, 07:00:48 PM

It is safe if you do not mistakenly give them a private key or UTC file to open your wallet. Practically most airdrops are filth, they just open up to cheat, or to up their turn to track their telegram channel, social channel .... There are many airdrop malicious files and entice you to download to your computer, in order to infiltrate your computer. You should be careful when making airdrop.
Activity: 826
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
July 29, 2019, 06:27:23 PM
Most of the airdrops are safe. Cause you don't have to do anything. But I am saying form my experience that most of the airdrops are nothing but a waste of time. Signing a message is not something to worry about. When a airdrops required this kind kind of thing better to avoid that. Cause I never done this kind of things in my life. Whatever it is be care ful and always keep your eyes open.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 605
July 29, 2019, 06:26:09 PM
airdrop is now mostly a scam they try to get our personal data in many ways, in my opinion if airdrop doesn't require you to send anything it will be fine but you also have to be careful
Have you done KYC in participating with them? Cause if not, then you're not risking your personal identities by then but only waiting for another dead coin to receive. What actually we do, never get tempted to participate in those free coins cause it never seems to be profitable anymore...better to have it in participating bounty or signature campaigns.

Activity: 336
Merit: 1
A nexgen decentralized ride hailing
July 29, 2019, 05:58:27 PM

do not perform airdrop , they are not now a big profit , and there is no big money in them , especially if you are asked to download the program you can infect your computer with different viruses.
Activity: 336
Merit: 10
July 29, 2019, 05:43:45 PM
Airdrops just give insignificant rewards and I don't see why   you would risk your btc for these small dollars. Mostly airdrops don't require much works but if they are requesting that you fill some forms of which you don't trust, just ignore it and be safe
Pages:
Jump to: