Pages:
Author

Topic: Are airdrops safe? - page 7. (Read 9479 times)

Activity: 1232
Merit: 858
September 03, 2019, 04:21:53 PM
The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?
Or is signing a message different than signing a transaction?

The mechanism for signing messages is different from the mechanism for signing transactions on the network, so you have nothing to worry about. However, in any case, be careful with any of your online activities. Why is it necessary to confirm for airdrop that this is your wallet? I don’t see the point in this, so I would not participate in the airdrop where wallet confirmation is required.
Activity: 700
Merit: 11
send and receive money instantly, with no hidden c
September 03, 2019, 09:32:53 AM
actually airdrop is safe, but only how do we choose the airdrop. because right now there are sometimes no airdrop, and we must be more selective in choosing airdrops. many feel disadvantaged by airdrop because they do not choose more selectively, there are also those who benefit from airdrop because they are more selective in choosing airdrop
yup! it depends on the airdrop we choose.
there are some safe airflows that are also beneficial, but they are very difficult to find. most airdrops currently require us to do KYC, i think that makes no sense but many people still follow it.

but until now, i don't see anyone being harmed because of that.
Activity: 1048
Merit: 101
September 03, 2019, 09:09:47 AM
it's very dangerous if they require you or a participant to send btc to them, you need to know that airdrops are free tokens and you don't have to bother to approve your btc transactions for them. if you take part in the airdrops campaign make it a side when you have time spare, but always be aware of any unreasonable requirements.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1225
Once a man, twice a child!
September 03, 2019, 07:15:00 AM
The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?
Avoid any airdrop that asks you to do such. There is something not right about such an arrangement. It is insidious and may likely cause you regret. The most an airdrop can ask for is your wallet address where the crypto can be sent to, and not that you should sign it to prove ownership. BTW, airdrops aren't worth it anymore. Most coins given out this way always end up as shitcoins.
Activity: 1260
Merit: 505
Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars
September 03, 2019, 07:03:05 AM
Some airdrop are not safe any airdrop asking for any sort of payment or signed message that requires exposing a sensitive information about your wallet isn't safe. Airdrop are designed d for building community for a said project. Stay safe put there.
I don’t understand why projects are requesting any data for participation in the airdrop.  the main goal of creating airdrop is to increase the number of users on social networks.
Activity: 616
Merit: 1
September 03, 2019, 06:41:05 AM
Some airdrop are not safe any airdrop asking for any sort of payment or signed message that requires exposing a sensitive information about your wallet isn't safe. Airdrop are designed d for building community for a said project. Stay safe put there.
Activity: 840
Merit: 100
Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron
September 03, 2019, 06:33:34 AM
I think there are currently very few safe airdrops, some airdrops currently have a high risk of having to do KYC for airdrop participants and from there your identity is exposed and you have no privacy anymore.
sending your data for 2-3 dollars that you can earn in Airdrop is at least very strange. because even these 2-3 dollars are not guaranteed to you
Activity: 728
Merit: 10
September 03, 2019, 04:17:07 AM
for me airdrop is safe if we don't send some bitcoin or altcoin. it's just that the airdrop is currently less worth it to be followed, because there is no price at the time of distribution or when on the market.
Activity: 1188
Merit: 251
September 03, 2019, 04:09:55 AM
I think there are currently very few safe airdrops, some airdrops currently have a high risk of having to do KYC for airdrop participants and from there your identity is exposed and you have no privacy anymore.
Activity: 406
Merit: 3
September 03, 2019, 03:49:45 AM
the first reason that kept me from several air strike campaigns was because they were not safe on the other hand the rewards given from the air strikes were also not much. but for some airdrop token hunters they don't care about that, for me it's better to follow the gift than with airdrops.
Activity: 77
September 03, 2019, 03:22:19 AM
Airdrop is the best way to introduct your coin to community. But, you may deal with many " bounty hunters " who always try to sell it faster and dumb your price.

Unless that issue, the Airdrop campaign is giving-away to present your project. So, it's safe, but hard to do.
copper member
Activity: 1190
Merit: 3
September 03, 2019, 02:25:41 AM
If some kind of transactions are required to get airdrop tokens, this is no more airdrop. I have seen two such cases for which they called "Self Drop".
Both projects were scam.
Tokens should be sent only performing some social media tasks and not doing any kind of transaction. We should also be careful checking what kind of information project asks to do the tasks eligible for airdrop.
Activity: 574
Merit: 12
Kuvacash.com
September 03, 2019, 01:49:12 AM
I think not all airdrops flying around are safe and worth participating, so watch out and scrutinize any airdrop before participating.
Be more mindful of airdrops not backed up by any reasonable project, they may just be trying to victimized you.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Only the best is The be best...
September 03, 2019, 12:11:37 AM
It will be safe if the airdrop only requires wallet address and telegram. If the airdrop requires you to verify your KYC or private key then it is definitely not secure. And it is a scammer
Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
August 30, 2019, 02:38:49 PM
In the old times you had many good airdrops. I still remember some. Today most of the airdrops are not worth your time. A few months ago i participated in some airdrops, but they didn't pay me. I guess they use airdrop (bait) to get more people fast.

Even I have participated in a huge number of airdrops. Some of them were very profitable and made me richer by $100 or even $250. But those times are long gone. Now you can call yourselves lucky, if you get $10 from an airdrop. And to sell this much tokens using cryptocurrency exchanges, you need to undergo the KYC process.
Activity: 448
August 30, 2019, 02:26:56 PM
Some are safe and genuine. And a whole lots of them are not. The organizers just take your details for sale and other personal dubious motive. Most especially those that require KYC.
Activity: 360
Merit: 251
August 30, 2019, 02:00:43 PM

there's no way it can give u malicious thing expect u give them the Private key of your addres , as long it public addres its fine

No signing a message is completely different. It just proves ownership of the wallet. It cannot be used to send or receive any bitcoin. Nothing to worry about.
Keep your privatekey safe and you will be fine. Also you need to remember to take care what wallets you use. Some wallets might be scams and steal your privatekey.
Activity: 574
Merit: 13
August 29, 2019, 03:13:12 AM
Never believe in airdrops, if you are required to sign something. because airdrop is given to users free of charge. so, if you find / get an airdrop via email or anything that requires you to go sign something, it is certain that this airdrop needs to be suspected.

Not only suspected but must be avoided.
I agree with you that Airdrop is free, in the sense that we do not need to spend anything except doing the assignments to get something from Airdrop. If there is nothing suspicious, of course the airdrop is safe.
Activity: 854
Merit: 10
August 29, 2019, 02:55:30 AM
Never believe in airdrops, if you are required to sign something. because airdrop is given to users free of charge. so, if you find / get an airdrop via email or anything that requires you to go sign something, it is certain that this airdrop needs to be suspected.
Activity: 104
August 29, 2019, 02:50:48 AM
Never heard of any airdrop campaigns that requires you to have this "signings" that you're saying. And I admit that it's difficult to know which airdrop is legit or not, with so much scams happening these days, anything can definitely go wrong if no necessary research has been done. That's why it's good to follow trusted websites to see which airdrop/bounty campaigns are legit or not. With so many happening now, you need to have websites to help out.
Pages:
Jump to: