Pages:
Author

Topic: Are Bitcoins Martial Law Proof? - page 4. (Read 8169 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
August 01, 2012, 08:02:23 PM
Connections were shut down during the Arab Spring, for example.
Because private companies were forced to comply. The government's direct control is questionable, although their influence is undeniable, as is their monitoring.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!
August 01, 2012, 07:08:01 PM
Your bitcoins ultimately rely on the government to maintain the electrical grid and internet infrastructure, this is one of the reasons pro-big government folks like myself like them so much.  When people use currency like gold or ammunition in the event of an emergency they can trade and barter with it freely, when we use bitcoins control of the market is in the hands of the government.  
The WWW internet infrastructure was inherited from the failed investments of interactive TV. The government had nothing to do with that.

I would know. I lost a lot of money.

You know nothing about the internet, Atlas.  It was a government project through and through. 

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/wsj-mangles-history-to-argue-government-didnt-launch-the-internet/

Regardless of where it was inherited from, however, it is undeniable government control is possible at this point.  Connections were shut down during the Arab Spring, for example.  You have to work around that to get your message out.  A currency that relies on internet will not work in that situation as well as gold or ammunition will.

Ponyboy, I have been using the internet since you were in diapers. Now, if you're momma and papa can't help pay for your college and you need Uncle Sam to help you, I can understand the government might be your friend. It has never been mine.

Other than when it gave you the Internet I guess, which Bitcoins entirely rely upon to continue to exist.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
August 01, 2012, 07:06:39 PM
Your bitcoins ultimately rely on the government to maintain the electrical grid and internet infrastructure, this is one of the reasons pro-big government folks like myself like them so much.  When people use currency like gold or ammunition in the event of an emergency they can trade and barter with it freely, when we use bitcoins control of the market is in the hands of the government.  
The WWW internet infrastructure was inherited from the failed investments of interactive TV. The government had nothing to do with that.

You know nothing about the internet, Atlas.  It was a government project through and through.  

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/wsj-mangles-history-to-argue-government-didnt-launch-the-internet/

Regardless of where it was inherited from, however, it is undeniable government control is possible at this point.  Connections were shut down during the Arab Spring, for example.  You have to work around that to get your message out.  A currency that relies on internet will not work in that situation as well as gold or ammunition will.

Ponyboy, I have been using the internet since you were in diapers. Now, if your momma and papa can't help pay for your college and you need Uncle Sam to help you, I can understand the government might be your friend. It has never been mine.
August 01, 2012, 07:03:08 PM

You know nothing about the internet.  It was a government project through and through.  

Regardless of where it was inherited from, however, it is undeniable government control is possible at this point.  Connections were shut down during the Arab Spring, for example.  You have to work around that to get your message out.  A currency that relies on internet will not work in that situation as well as gold or ammunition will.
August 01, 2012, 06:55:10 PM

August 01, 2012, 06:49:33 PM
Your bitcoins ultimately rely on the government to maintain the electrical grid and internet infrastructure, this is one of the reasons pro-big government folks like myself like them so much.  When people use currency like gold or ammunition in the event of an emergency they can trade and barter with it freely, when we use bitcoins control of the market is in the hands of the government. 
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
August 01, 2012, 05:37:54 PM
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
August 01, 2012, 05:32:44 PM
I would hope that people would set up a huge "pirate" high-wattage WiFi networks with directional antennas to connect locales.

Supposedly, BitSyncom is working on this.  Hopefully, it is not vaporware.

to save someone some time searching
http://bitsyn.com/main/2012/07/the-bitsyncom-initiative
legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014
August 01, 2012, 05:15:40 PM
I would hope that people would set up a huge "pirate" high-wattage WiFi networks with directional antennas to connect locales.

Supposedly, BitSyncom is working on this.  Hopefully, it is not vaporware.
Activity: 434
August 01, 2012, 05:11:06 PM
Activity: 283
Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.
August 01, 2012, 05:07:45 PM
better question is will my paper bill bitcoins still be worth something if the blockchain is never fired back up ?  would you still be willing to trade with me ?  Grin
What do you mean "fired back up" - a prolonged global shutdown of the Internet is extremely unlikely so the blockchain will most certainly keep growing and everybody with at least some form of Internet access would surely be willing to trade with you for your paper Bitcoins.

Oh and by the way: I've got quite some hashing power running completely on solar power here and a number of big antennas for long-range WiFi, so I'll do my best to help Bitcoin make it through the zombie apocalypse Wink

+1

I'll lend support to that!
legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014
August 01, 2012, 05:03:00 PM
Right now there are around 15000 - 17000 complete copies of the blockchain distributed around the world. Good luck in stopping that.

http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk/

I encourage bitcoin users to use the Satoshi client or any other client that downloads the full blockchain so it is stored on your comptuer.  

EDIT: Looks like we have approx 10000+ copies of the blockchain.  See below.

legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
August 01, 2012, 04:52:32 PM
better question is will my paper bill bitcoins still be worth something if the blockchain is never fired back up ?  would you still be willing to trade with me ?  Grin
What do you mean "fired back up" - a prolonged global shutdown of the Internet is extremely unlikely so the blockchain will most certainly keep growing and everybody with at least some form of Internet access would surely be willing to trade with you for your paper Bitcoins.

Oh and by the way: I've got some hashing power running completely on solar power here and a number of big antennas for long-range WiFi, so I'll do my best to help Bitcoin make it through the zombie apocalypse Wink
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
August 01, 2012, 04:12:23 PM
better question is will my paper bill bitcoins still be worth something if the blockchain is never fired back up ?  would you still be willing to trade with me ?  Grin
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
August 01, 2012, 04:05:01 PM
oh great some igloo jokes Tongue

I can throw a stone across a river and hit an american Smiley
August 01, 2012, 03:30:26 PM
Europe here, i have the full blockchain, don't worry  Cheesy
Thank you.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1148