Pages:
Author

Topic: Are there any other Optimistic Bears? - page 3. (Read 4821 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004
February 05, 2014, 05:29:34 AM
It seems that opinions on Bitcoin are primarily divided into two categories:

(1) BULLS: People who grok Bitcoin, and thus are perma-bulls

(2) BEARS: People who do not grok Bitcoin, and thus are perma-bears

I would like to propose a third, new, much rarer category:

(3) OPTIMISTIC BEARS: People who grok Bitcoin and believe in its future, yet acknowledge that, at present, Bitcoin and especially alt-coins are still in the midst of a major speculative bubble that must deflate before the next growth phase can begin.

If you're in category 3, then please join me in this thread. Welcome to the home of the optimistic bears. I would like to hear from you.

But you are not one of those in category 3. You are not only 'at present' bearish. You've been bearish all the time while the price climbed up 1'000 Dollars.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009
February 05, 2014, 03:55:13 AM
Bitcoin seems to me like a prototype for the 'Great Beast's' global digital currency. Every single transaction, on the ledger forever, and despite what many like to think, 100% trackable, forever.

The ledger is indeed forever. Should you create a link between your identity and your coins, there are several ways to break that link. There are extremely easy ways to permanently sever that link.

There is also an exponentially growing blockchain which will soon be unfeasible for home computer users to manage which will result in corporations springing up as Bitcoin intermediaries, serving as Bitcoin 'banks' and even central banks.

What is your definition of soon? The block chain still fits in my RAM. It will "soon" be unfeasible for home computers purchased over a decade ago. If we only allow non-zero outputs, there is a limit to the size of the pruned block chain.

Bitcoin is not freedom.

No one can take my coins without my permission and no one can prevent me from sending coins to whomever I want. If that isn't freedom, it's a huge step in the right direction.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
February 05, 2014, 03:42:06 AM
As long as there is global interest, the value of 12 million coins is going to be high.  Fundamentals or no fundamentals.
To play devil's advocate, how does one then quantify global interest? To take an easy example, onecoin is dead -- it is worth nothing. But there is only one coin. With bitcoin, it's not so simple.

Enter: pure unadulterated opinion.

Is it new money pushing up the price? Or is it large holders who, after having sold over the past couple months, can now prop up the value of their holdings?

We're told that huge trades are happening off-exchange. Big things are in the pipeline. How do we know?

Who knows?

Lol. You act like there is no bitcoin Eco system. You challenge me but you never challenge those that call bitcoin vaporware. And you continually describe yourself as balanced.

Ignore all the bears calling doom and gloom and ask me where I see value in bitcoin? Just pointing out what cannot be known.

I don't act like there is no ecosystem -- how do you figure that? You made a statement. I just said, "but how?" I don't know about "balanced" -- I've said that perma bulls and perma bears are inherently closed minded. And yes, I consider myself neither.

So what is your definition of "doom and gloom?" Am I supposed to be arguing with fonzie now? What do I have to gain from that?

I did say devil's advocate. Just pointing out what cannot be known.

Maybe you should ask yourself if you see value in bitcoin?
I've said I'm a long term bull, so persisting with the opinion that I am a perma bear -- I don't know what to say to that.

In all the months I have been on this forum, all the hundreds of posts I have read of yours, I have never, one time, seen you call out a bear, question a bear, play devils advocate with a bear, or otherwise challenge a bear.

Maybe you don't find them worth your time, but I just call it as I see it.

I disagree with the degree, but true to an extent. That doesn't really mean anything. I'm not a journalist here. I try to be reasonable and open minded in regards to my own position -- that's it.

And to be fair, since I arrived on this forum -- in April 2013 -- it has always been a place for bulls to congregate and insult bears. Say what you will about the forum turning bearish at times -- this has always been the case in my eyes. And it colors when I choose to post.

The ONLY time I have seen this forum become a place were Bulls gang up on Bears is during times of great upward momentum. Otherwise, its more openly bearish than bullish.   
I couldn't disagree more.

Well, if you were me you could disagree more, because I disagree more.
Activity: 826
Merit: 508
February 05, 2014, 03:40:36 AM
As long as there is global interest, the value of 12 million coins is going to be high.  Fundamentals or no fundamentals.
To play devil's advocate, how does one then quantify global interest? To take an easy example, onecoin is dead -- it is worth nothing. But there is only one coin. With bitcoin, it's not so simple.

Is it new money pushing up the price? Or is it large holders who, after having sold over the past couple months, can now prop up the value of their holdings?

We're told that huge trades are happening off-exchange. Big things are in the pipeline. How do we know?

Who knows?

Lol. You act like there is no bitcoin Eco system. You challenge me but you never challenge those that call bitcoin vaporware. And you continually describe yourself as balanced.

Ignore all the bears calling doom and gloom and ask me where I see value in bitcoin? Just pointing out what cannot be known.

I don't act like there is no ecosystem -- how do you figure that? You made a statement. I just said, "but how?" I don't know about "balanced" -- I've said that perma bulls and perma bears are inherently closed minded. And yes, I consider myself neither.

So what is your definition of "doom and gloom?" Am I supposed to be arguing with fonzie now? What do I have to gain from that?

I've said I'm a long term bull, so persisting with the opinion that I am a perma bear -- I don't know what to say to that.

In all the months I have been on this forum, all the hundreds of posts I have read of yours, I have never, one time, seen you call out a bear, question a bear, play devils advocate with a bear, or otherwise challenge a bear.

I disagree with the degree, but true to an extent. That doesn't really mean anything. I'm not a journalist here. I try to be reasonable and open minded in regards to my own position -- that's it.

And to be fair, since I arrived on this forum -- in April 2013 -- it has always been a place for bulls to congregate and insult bears. Say what you will about the forum turning bearish at times -- this has always been the case in my eyes. And it colors when I choose to post.

The ONLY time I have seen this forum become a place were Bulls gang up on Bears is during times of great upward momentum. Otherwise, its more openly bearish than bullish.   
I couldn't disagree more.
legendary
February 05, 2014, 03:38:22 AM

Who knows?

February 05, 2014, 03:27:34 AM

Who knows?

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
February 05, 2014, 02:26:49 AM
The arrogance of billyjoeallen really puts all other perma bulls to shame.

I think the arrogance is simply human emotion translated to forum posts. Nothing wrong with being excited about crypto.

The stance I take is that I'm invested in the technology, bulls and bears are simply definitions from the legacy banking system applied to a technology that has not existed before, though the labels are apt and create a lot of fun if nothing else.

If Bitcoin drops a few hundred dollars, I'll buy some more. If it goes up I'll watch my account grow. It's a win-win. Bears and bulls, join hands.
legendary
February 05, 2014, 02:16:17 AM
I would categorize myself as a realistic bull.  The December decline was About 63%, which can be considered a pretty strong decline.  Declines like the 94% move in 2011 are rare, especially only a few years apart, but I will concede that bitcoin moves fast.  Also, the major declines have been less drastic and shorter in terms of time between each top:  94% in 2011, 80% in April 2013, and 63% in December 2013.  It seems to me that the bull may experience a blowoff top sometime this year followed by a sizeable decline, possibly rivaling that of 2011, but maybe ending at levels near or higher than now.

All said, I have lightened up my longer term position.  We shall see what the market decides.

Also, some of the new cryptoassets such as bitshares, ethereum, open transactions, ect which attempt to bring further evolution to the decentralized financial landscape are interesting and worth a look.

Just my 2 satoshis.

This post makes no sense to me. You identify a trend and then you predict that the future will break that trend. All because we "need" a heavy correction?

What doesn't make sense about a continuation of the bull market followed by a bear market?

What? You give examples that point to less volatility in corrections and suggest that we could have a 2011esque decline coming. Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense if you follow fractal analysis. The corrections will be shallower in terms of percentage decline and shorter in terms of time until the market reaches a tipping point.  Then the big crash will happen

It doesn't make sense to you because you are thinking in linear terms.  You think that because I give examples that point to less volatility, I should suggest that future corrections should be less volatile.  The opposite is true.  While I believe that the trend of less volatile corrections will continue for a few more rallies, I also believe it will reverse course into a long, drawn out bear market.

Based on fractals? Ok. Let's chat in 5 years and see how that worked out for you.
legendary
February 05, 2014, 02:15:11 AM

Who knows?

Activity: 622
Merit: 500
February 05, 2014, 02:13:52 AM
I would categorize myself as a realistic bull.  The December decline was About 63%, which can be considered a pretty strong decline.  Declines like the 94% move in 2011 are rare, especially only a few years apart, but I will concede that bitcoin moves fast.  Also, the major declines have been less drastic and shorter in terms of time between each top:  94% in 2011, 80% in April 2013, and 63% in December 2013.  It seems to me that the bull may experience a blowoff top sometime this year followed by a sizeable decline, possibly rivaling that of 2011, but maybe ending at levels near or higher than now.

All said, I have lightened up my longer term position.  We shall see what the market decides.

Also, some of the new cryptoassets such as bitshares, ethereum, open transactions, ect which attempt to bring further evolution to the decentralized financial landscape are interesting and worth a look.

Just my 2 satoshis.

This post makes no sense to me. You identify a trend and then you predict that the future will break that trend. All because we "need" a heavy correction?

What doesn't make sense about a continuation of the bull market followed by a bear market?

What? You give examples that point to less volatility in corrections and suggest that we could have a 2011esque decline coming. Makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense if you follow fractal analysis. The corrections will be shallower in terms of percentage decline and shorter in terms of time until the market reaches a tipping point.  Then the big crash will happen

It doesn't make sense to you because you are thinking in linear terms.  You think that because I give examples that point to less volatility, I should suggest that future corrections should be less volatile.  The opposite is true.  While I believe that the trend of less volatile corrections will continue for a few more rallies, I also believe it will reverse course into a long, drawn out bear market.
February 05, 2014, 01:54:46 AM

Who knows?

legendary
February 05, 2014, 01:10:12 AM

Just my 2 satoshis.

legendary
February 05, 2014, 01:07:00 AM

Who knows?

Ignore all the bears calling doom and gloom and ask me where I see value in bitcoin?

February 04, 2014, 11:59:51 PM

Who knows?
Activity: 622
Merit: 500
February 04, 2014, 11:31:26 PM

Just my 2 satoshis.

Activity: 20
Merit: 0
February 04, 2014, 11:26:53 PM
I am 100% an optimistic bear.

Not just because "I want cheap coins" (I do want cheap coins of course) but I am an optimistic bear mainly because of the Elliot wave theory, as it suggests that we should go down one more leg If my count it correct.
legendary
February 04, 2014, 11:19:35 PM

Just my 2 satoshis.

legendary
February 04, 2014, 11:17:53 PM
um, no we haven't. Check the wall observer thread and you will discover I was talking about that just yesterday. This is not 2011. We have a massive infrastructure no that we didn't have then. And It was a huge over correction. Don't think people like me are just going to hodl this time. Fuck no, we're buying more, and at higher prices than the one's you are waiting for. Do you have any idea how many of you assholes are waiting around for cheap coins? Too many to let it happen. Hell, I'm gonna start buying at $780 and front run your asses, me and a few whale friends. You're dreaming if you think it's ever go below $400, even with disasters like a pan EU ban or Mt Gox going under.

There are literally BILLIONS on the sidelines. Sooner or later, a critical mass of people are gonna get sick of this sideways movement and say "fuck it, I'm buying now." Happened twice already.

and how many of us assholes are going to want to jump into Bitcoin if it were to crash through support after support? Back in early December I would have bitten someone's hands of had they offered me $800 BTC. But now that I can buy as many $800 as I liked, I am not interested.

Bitcoins are vapour and their value is only what people imagine it to be, and perhaps the mechanisms that define our imagination of Bitcoin's value have been wildly overstretched. In fact, I fkn know for sure that they have. The question is to what extent can those 'whales' whose interests it is to enforce a period of stability in Bitcoin in its presently wildly overstretched state, succeed in the face of the organic and perhaps some not so organic forces that want to push Bitcoin back down?

The price is not in line with the fundemenals.... yeah it's over stretched.
does that mean then that the price must align with fundamentals? not for many years it doesnt.
The wise speculators are not gonna sell at this point, $800 is just too cheap and they know it. Nobody has to force it....
They aren't gonna scalp either, cos they will likely not get their coins back.
A lot of pressure has already been released when it went down to 500....
Im gonna get ready to buy if a little slide comes, but I'm not expecting it.

I keep hearing this "the price is not in line with the fundamentals" argument. But this argument is completely unqualifiable.  It is pure unadulterated opinion.

However, the obvious supply vs. demand argument is continually ignored. There are only around 12 million coins (less with lost ones). 12 freaking million. That's it. And no one knows how many purchases are going on off-exchange.

Again, hidden data that NO ONE can factor in.

As long as there is global interest, the value of 12 million coins is going to be high.  Fundamentals or no fundamentals.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
February 04, 2014, 10:22:41 PM
does that mean then that the price must align with fundamentals? not for many years it doesnt.
The wise speculators are not gonna sell at this point, $800 is just too cheap and they know it. Nobody has to force it....

As per rpetelia's 900 people own half of all Bitcoins study, with just 49 owning 30%, this market is being driven by a relative handful of players. It should be obvious by now to most rational minded persons, that there is a certain faction of these market makers (whales) who are deploying their resources and market expertise in order to hold Bitcoin up in a stable $800 dollar range. The towering Ask and Bid walls around either side of the spot price and the way the bot microtransactions move the spot away from the 'real' weight of the market action, makes this self evident. The present state of affairs is encouraging for current Bitcoin holders in that they see no need to panic sell, whilst it discourages fresh speculative money, both looking to go short and long. However, the market trends along like this and along comes some mother fucker and dumps 3000 BTC (I witnessed this on Stamp) within 5 minutes which precipitated a big sell-off that bottomed out at $726. Since then, we have recovered and are trending some $20 short of the low volume stagnation period which preceded the most recent correction, which for my money, was instigated by someone with a mass of Bitcoins, who sold them off in such a manner as to cause the price slide. Had he been more measured in his sell-off, he could have gotten just as much, if not more for his BTC by selling them into Bid wall at a slower rate. But nope, they were all dropped almost in one go, which has resulted in a significant bearish break-down from bearish descending triangle formation.

To be able to read this market accurately, you would need to know who the market makers are in and what their motives are and most importantly, who are the most powerful in terms of Bitcoin price moving capacity). I think that the markets should go down, but I quite agree, that this doesn't mean that it will.

Gold should be around 10K per ounce, but dominant market players ensure that it isn't. The USD should be worthless, but dominant market players ensure that it is the world's reserve currency and is highly likely to remain so.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
February 04, 2014, 10:05:10 PM
um, no we haven't. Check the wall observer thread and you will discover I was talking about that just yesterday. This is not 2011. We have a massive infrastructure no that we didn't have then. And It was a huge over correction. Don't think people like me are just going to hodl this time. Fuck no, we're buying more, and at higher prices than the one's you are waiting for. Do you have any idea how many of you assholes are waiting around for cheap coins? Too many to let it happen. Hell, I'm gonna start buying at $780 and front run your asses, me and a few whale friends. You're dreaming if you think it's ever go below $400, even with disasters like a pan EU ban or Mt Gox going under.

There are literally BILLIONS on the sidelines. Sooner or later, a critical mass of people are gonna get sick of this sideways movement and say "fuck it, I'm buying now." Happened twice already.

and how many of us assholes are going to want to jump into Bitcoin if it were to crash through support after support? Back in early December I would have bitten someone's hands of had they offered me $800 BTC. But now that I can buy as many $800 as I liked, I am not interested.

Bitcoins are vapour and their value is only what people imagine it to be, and perhaps the mechanisms that define our imagination of Bitcoin's value have been wildly overstretched. In fact, I fkn know for sure that they have. The question is to what extent can those 'whales' whose interests it is to enforce a period of stability in Bitcoin in its presently wildly overstretched state, succeed in the face of the organic and perhaps some not so organic forces that want to push Bitcoin back down?

Pages:
Jump to: