Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory 0.96.5 - page 6. (Read 25200 times)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
May 12, 2020, 09:24:43 PM
Ubuntu 20.04 has issues installing.

Missing dependencies python-qt4, python-twisted, python-psutil

---
electing previously unselected package armory.
(Reading database ... 245601 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack armory_0.96-gcc5.4_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking armory (0.96-1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of armory:
 armory depends on python-qt4; however:
  Package python-qt4 is not installed.
 armory depends on python-twisted; however:
  Package python-twisted is not installed.
 armory depends on python-psutil; however:
  Package python-psutil is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package armory (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-0ubuntu9) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 armory
Activity: 525
Merit: 282
October 10, 2019, 10:54:48 AM
This version will not run on my MacOS 10.14.6

1)What is the exact problem that you're having?

2)I need to make a separate post, but just so that everybody knows, Armory won't run on 10.15 due to some changes Apple made. Please don't upgrade to it just yet.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068
October 08, 2019, 04:24:29 PM
getting Armory running on a Mac is not the easiest task. there are a few people on Bitcointalk who know the details, of which there are more than a few
October 08, 2019, 03:57:04 PM
This version will not run on my MacOS 10.14.6
legendary
September 03, 2019, 04:13:01 AM
computer science solved this problem 40-50 years ago: the static binary (bitcoin itself is a static binary, all needed libraries by bitcoind/bitcoin-qt are packaged into the executable file)

To be fair, the only stuff Armory doesn't link to statically beside the C lib is Qt.

right. those libraries are so commonly used that it's not hard to work out a way of getting them to play nice with whatever Linux distro is shipping the most eccentric version of, which if we're honest is always Debian stable, lol. The common Debian joke is that you only need to remove 1 letter from "stable" and 2 from "unstable" to get the words "stale" and "usable"
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345
Armory Developer
September 03, 2019, 12:41:54 AM
computer science solved this problem 40-50 years ago: the static binary (bitcoin itself is a static binary, all needed libraries by bitcoind/bitcoin-qt are packaged into the executable file)

To be fair, the only stuff Armory doesn't link to statically beside the C lib is Qt.
legendary
September 02, 2019, 07:06:13 AM
Having an appimage to use on the offline machine just for signing could be handy!

not really, as the offline machine must have the appimage package installed too, which compromises the security model

appimage is trying to reinvent the wheel, and they actually managed to fail. they solved the problem of needing to install non-standard extra packages/libs by.... requiring an extra non-standard package/library. great idea. no, really. Roll Eyes
Activity: 37
September 01, 2019, 10:58:29 PM
Any possibility of Armory being released as an appimage?

I dont know what that is =/

https://appimage.org/

Electrum and Electrum-LTC are already using it.
https://electrum.org/#download

The downside is that is more slow.
But there is no need to install it or install system libraries.

I always build Armory from the git repository.
But for the offline machine, the signer, I have to do a few extras steps.

I have to clone the repo to a usb stick that has vfat file system.
Take the usb stick to the offline machine and clone it again.
And then build it there.

Having an appimage to use on the offline machine just for signing could be handy!
Activity: 525
Merit: 282
August 17, 2019, 11:51:32 AM
The main bottleneck atm is moving from SWIG to another C++ to Python framework to allow for a shift to Py3 & Qt5.

As an update on that end, there have been three main holdups.

- The cppyy project is the main linchpin here. It's pretty slick, and Wim's a very smart guy. Alas, like any project, it has holes. We find 'em, we report 'em, we usually get a fix within a day or two. I want to say that this portion is close to being done.
- There's something in WebSocket that isn't working right with the GUI. I was trying to track it down when...
- ...due to Apple's stupidity, my VMs became unusable for a few weeks. They're kinda usable now but, until Apple issues a proper fix (and who knows if they will or if they'll try to force an upgrade to macOS 10.15), I may have to force a downgrade of my Mac. Thanks for nothing, Tim.

The switch from Py2 to Py3 remains to be done. We have somebody who has offered to help. I don't know if he's still interested, although I assume he is (contingent on his schedule). I'm pretty busy myself but will do what I can to help. This really needs to get done ASAP for a variety of reasons.
legendary
Armory Developer
August 16, 2019, 09:40:31 AM
Changes are taking place in the dev branch. A lot has changed and there's still a lot I want to add in there. The work is split with helping another project. Most of the progess with that project is shared with Armory and the code ends up in the Armory repo eventually.

The main bottleneck atm is moving from SWIG to another C++ to Python framework to allow for a shift to Py3 & Qt5. Also need to go over GUI for the new wallets. Mostly, the GUI needs to represent BIP32 wallet branches.
Activity: 471
Merit: 252
August 16, 2019, 04:50:54 AM
Thanks Carlton!!
legendary
August 15, 2019, 03:19:20 PM
@johnlu

there's a significant re-write of the code going on for 0.97, that sort of thing can take alot of time. It's better that it does (take some time), as it's a good opportunity to re-structure the codebase with a long term perspective in mind

not sure on the exact latest progress though, check github I guess
Activity: 471
Merit: 252
August 15, 2019, 02:32:22 PM
Hi, I know this an open source project. But there's some time with no new release. Do you have any idea of how long it would take to release 0.97?

Thanks for your all your efforts guys :-)
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
August 08, 2019, 05:06:42 PM
I have putted address of my ARMORY wallet in my mining pool site & they have sent some bitcoins to it but my ARMORY wallet is not showing any thing and my wallet's balance is zero. what should I do?
Do you have Bitcoin Core installed and fully synced? Armory requires Bitcoin Core to be able to function properly... if you don't have Bitcoin Core installed, you will need to install it (and fully sync the blockchain) before Armory will be able to show your balance...

Suggest you create your own thread rather than posting in this one.
legendary
Armory Developer
August 08, 2019, 10:24:07 AM

I dont know what that is =/
August 08, 2019, 06:09:35 AM
I have putted address of my ARMORY wallet in my mining pool site & they have sent some bitcoins to it but my ARMORY wallet is not showing any thing and my wallet's balance is zero. what should I do?
Activity: 37
July 24, 2019, 11:57:37 PM
legendary
Armory Developer
July 22, 2019, 12:20:26 PM
It gets reported in the log files.
Activity: 4
July 22, 2019, 11:41:17 AM
@walkingaround

Yes, its like you said: if there is any problem with the blockchain database, Armory hangs.
I had the same problem in the past, and after reloading the whole blockchain, Armory works fine.

Maybe Armory should tell this to the user, if there is a problem with the blockchain database?  Smiley
Activity: 4
Merit: 2
June 29, 2019, 03:29:37 AM
I'm using a new bitcoin blockchain downloaded by torrent, and finally I got Armory running, after many days trying without success. Next, I will reindex the whole blockchain again for security.

In some other postings I have seen that many other people had similar problems.

To all of them, consider the possibility that bitcoin core's blockchain is corrupted. In my case, it was not easy to identify the problem because bitcoin core reported always to be fully synchronized; but Armory detected anyhow problems in the blockchain and didn't work.

Another possibility could be that my PC is infected by malware not detected by my security software. I'm checking it.

Many thanks again!

Cool
Pages:
Jump to: