Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 19. (Read 521749 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
October 23, 2014, 06:58:23 AM
Thanks GoatPig, so what do you reckon?

Is it really necessary to run TOR with Armory or I'm being too paranoid?

If you want to run a node and/or broadcast transactions without revealing your IP, you should use TOR. If your concern is not be victim of theft, stop using online wallets and enforce proper cold storage pratices. TOR doesn't add to your coins security, that's cold storage.

Looks like tor is worse

http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.6079
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
October 22, 2014, 01:23:55 PM

If you want to run a node and/or broadcast transactions without revealing your IP, you should use TOR. If your concern is not be victim of theft, stop using online wallets and enforce proper cold storage pratices. TOR doesn't add to your coins security, that's cold storage.
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
Dolphie Selfie
October 22, 2014, 10:41:55 AM
I didn't explain this, but I lost 1 BTC using blockchain + TOR a few days ago, and 1 BTC using coinbase + TOR a few months ago, that's why I no longer trust clearnet sites + TOR

And what happens if I use Armory withouth TOR? Do I remain anonymous? Will my IP be traced when sending/receiving BTC?

Maybe it's not really necessary to use TOR with Armory after all...

I just want to prevent someone to know my IP when sending/receiving BTC, that's all

How did this happen? Did they freeze your bitcoins because you used TOR or was it some kind of Man-in-the-Middle attack?
I would assume both can't happen with Armory. Freezing of funds is impossible, because you own the private keys. MITM can't happen because Armory relies on the local full node.

However, even with Armory, if you don't want anyone to know your IP, you'll have to use some IP-hiding technique like TOR.

Thanks flipperfish,

It was a Man-in-the-Middle attack.

So what do you reckon? Is it really necessary to run TOR with Armory or I'm being too paranoid?

I think it depends on your security goals/requirements. If you really want to be sure (as sure as TOR permits), that no one can connect your transactions/addresses with your IP and by extension through your ISP your name, then yes, it is necessary to use TOR.

On the other hand, if you are using Armory, in theory your IP will "only" be seen by the nodes in the Bitcoin-P2P-Network, you are currently connected to. Only these nodes are able to link your transaction to your IP. In practice there are side channels, by which your IP could get revealed, for example the "call home" function of Armory. Maybe there is something similiar in bitcoind (which you need for Armory), too. However, through these channels no transaction data *should* get to the outside.

Note, that to receive transactions, you don't need to use TOR, because the local bitcoind will receive *all* transactions within the Bitcoin-Network. No one can differ, if you received a transaction that was destined to yourself or to someone else.
Activity: 980
Merit: 507
October 22, 2014, 10:28:14 AM
I didn't explain this, but I lost 1 BTC using blockchain + TOR a few days ago, and 1 BTC using coinbase + TOR a few months ago, that's why I no longer trust clearnet sites + TOR

And what happens if I use Armory withouth TOR? Do I remain anonymous? Will my IP be traced when sending/receiving BTC?

I just want to prevent someone to know my IP when sending/receiving BTC, that's all

How did this happen? Did they freeze your bitcoins because you used TOR or was it some kind of Man-in-the-Middle attack?
I would assume both can't happen with Armory. Freezing of funds is impossible, because you own the private keys. MITM can't happen because Armory relies on the local full node.

However, even with Armory, if you don't want anyone to know your IP, you'll have to use some IP-hiding technique like TOR.

Thanks flipperfish,

It was a Man-in-the-Middle attack.

So what do you reckon? Is it really necessary to run TOR with Armory or I'm being too paranoid?
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
Dolphie Selfie
October 22, 2014, 10:23:30 AM

October 22, 2014, 10:14:48 AM
Hi there,

I'm running the lasts versions of bitcoin-qt and Armory

I want to run Armory through TOR but how can I do it? I know this matter has ben already explained before, but I can't find the pages.

I see that the new version includes an option for TOR.

And second questions, is it secure?

I've had bad experiences with blockchain + TOR and coinbase + TOR losing small amounts with both wallets.

I've read that visiting clearnet sites with TOR isn't a good idea, that's why I ask if Armory + TOR is secure.

I store 90% of my BTC in a cold wallet in Armory, and I don't want to lose them...

Any help would be much appreciated, as I said, I store all the funds in Armory and I'm quite paranoid about security.

Best regards

Armory goes through Bitcoin Core (connected as localhost) to push its transactions. It reads its block data from local blkXXXXX.dat files. The TOR switch shuts down all other communications vector Armory uses (like calling back home to get version info), so as long as your Core instance is behind TOR and you use that switch, Armory won't try to access anything through the clearnet.

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
October 22, 2014, 09:09:04 AM
Hi there,

I want to run Armory through TOR but how can I do it? I know this matter has ben already explained before, but I can't find the pages.

I've had bad experiences with blockchain + TOR and coinbase + TOR losing small amounts with both wallets.

I've read that visiting clearnet sites with TOR isn't a good idea, that's why I ask if Armory + TOR is secure.

I store 90% of my BTC in a cold wallet in Armory, and I don't want to lose them...

Any help would be much appreciated, as I said, I store all the funds in Armory and I'm quite paranoid about security.

Best regards

Armory goes through Bitcoin Core (connected as localhost) to push its transactions. It reads its block data from local blkXXXXX.dat files. The TOR switch shuts down all other communications vector Armory uses (like calling back home to get version info), so as long as your Core instance is behind TOR and you use that switch, Armory won't try to access anything through the clearnet.
October 22, 2014, 08:31:08 AM
Hi there,
Best regards
Anyone? Huh

With TOR, you better use and online wallet like blockchain.info
I would not take the risk of losing anything due to bad manipulation.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
October 22, 2014, 05:54:14 AM
Hi there,
Best regards
Anyone? Huh

With TOR, you better use and online wallet like blockchain.info
I would not take the risk of losing anything due to bad manipulation.
October 21, 2014, 10:39:25 AM
Hi there,

Best regards

Anyone? Huh
Activity: 255
Merit: 250
Senior Developer - Armory
October 21, 2014, 08:51:46 AM
Could you please direct me to the Yosemite specific build?

Alan posted the 0.92.3 builds here. This includes a build that runs on OS X 10.7+.
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
October 21, 2014, 06:07:49 AM
in the bicoin.conf  file i can see these :

rpcuser=generated_by_armory

rpcpassword=43 long string

so this means nothing ?  

Yes, this means nothing.  That password allows Armory to communicate with bitcoind, but has no relation whatsoever with the Bitcoin-Qt wallet password.

is it possible that i have never created any wallet in armory but after i installed armory some way i attached my bitcoin qt wallet to armory and it showed up in armory as a wallet and i set a password/passphase for it (that probably created those entries in bicoin.conf file)  and so now i cannot use old passphase in the bitcoin qt wallet beacuse armory take control over bitcoin qt ( not allowing transactions from bitcoin qt)

No, that is utterly impossible.  Armory does not import anything automatically (and in fact importing the Bitcoin-Qt wallet is both cumbersome and discouraged, it is not something you do by accident.  And it is not possible with newer versions of Bitcoin-Qt).  Even if you manually imported the Bitcoin-Qt wallet into Armory, that would not prevent you from still using the wallet in Bitcoin-Qt.  Armory NEVER touches that wallet.  Never.

(if i create a wallet in armory and i can see my whole btc balance in armory in this wallet , can i see my whole balance in bitcoin qt too or will it be empty ? )

That depends.  If you imported the private keys from Bitcoin-Qt (which is by the way only possible if they were created with an old version of Bitcoin-Qt), then you would see the coins in both wallets.  If you moved the coins, then they would only be in Armory.  But you would still be able to unlock your Bitcoin-Qt wallet with your Bitcoin-Qt password, and see the transactions, including a large one sending all the funds to Armory.

If your passphase does not work, then your Bitcoin-Qt wallet is either corrupt, has been removed (check backups) or you used another passphase than the one you think you used.  Nothing Armory can do can cause this problem. 
Activity: 569
October 21, 2014, 05:11:14 AM
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9263763

my passphase does not work anymore in bitcoin qt
i installed armory in June, i am not sure but i think i could see my wallet (with balance i can see in bitcoin qt) in Armory client (but in the armory log file there is no record for wallet creation)
now there is nothing in my armory client , it is empty
so i think when i installed Armory and after i "imported" my bitcoin qt wallet into it (without any log entry,, Huh? ) Armory prevents bitcoin qt to make transactions (send btc via bitcoin qt)

so my question is how can i access to my wallet again  ?

from what I understand, you should close Armory, (as you have no transactions in there) and keep trying your passwords (creative variations) in bitcoin-QT, as your private keys are encrypted in your QT wallet.  
Man I don't envy you if you have a large chunk of coins. Armory is great when it come to making a backup, I have 4 passwords on by cold storage, one for the Bios, one to decrypt the disk and one for the desktop, and another for armory (call me paranoid).

Iv forgotten many passwords (paranoid and forgetful) and have had to reformat my system and fortunately Armory backups have saved me every time. can't say the same for Bitcoin QT.  

good luck.

here is my another post with this issue : https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9271649
i found this topic to https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-core-wont-take-my-passphrase-790407  Bitcoin Core won't take my passphrase
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
October 21, 2014, 04:10:03 AM
Has the latest version (0.92.3) been tested on Yosemite (OSX 10.10)?

I haven't tried the version Alan posted. It should work, though. The code has been specifically patched to handle Yosemite. I haven't seen any Yosemite-specific issues come up during testing. That being said, if anybody comes across any issues, please file a ticket.

Thanks!

Could you please direct me to the Yosemite specific build?

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
October 20, 2014, 09:42:34 PM

i installed armory in June, i am not sure but i think i could see my wallet (with balance i can see in bitcoin qt) in Armory client (but in the armory log file there is no record for wallet creation)
so i think when i installed Armory and after i "imported" my bitcoin qt wallet into it (without any log entry,, Huh? ) Armory prevents bitcoin qt to make transactions (send btc via bitcoin qt)

from what I understand, you should close Armory, (as you have no transactions in there) and keep trying your passwords (creative variations) in bitcoin-QT, as your private keys are encrypted in your QT wallet.  
Man I don't envy you if you have a large chunk of coins. Armory is great when it come to making a backup, I have 4 passwords on by cold storage, one for the Bios, one to decrypt the disk and one for the desktop, and another for armory (call me paranoid).

Iv forgotten many passwords (paranoid and forgetful) and have had to reformat my system and fortunately Armory backups have saved me every time. can't say the same for Bitcoin QT.  

good luck.
October 20, 2014, 07:31:03 PM
Hi there,

Best regards

I'm putting the message again just for more visibility...

I dont think armory tor helps.. Your transactions will still send through bitcoind

Look into torrifying bitcoin

Yes sorry, that's what I meant. I've read that you can do this with bitcoin qt and then select the tor option in armory as well. The devolopers know for sure, I just can't find their old posts explaining the process. If they read this, please let me know!!
legendary
October 20, 2014, 06:38:28 PM
You can't automatically import your wallet. Armory doesn't prevent anything. It doesn't touch your wallet. Try moving your Bitcoin wallet to another computer and start fresh
Activity: 569
October 20, 2014, 06:31:54 PM

in the bicoin.conf  file i can see these :

rpcuser=generated_by_armory

rpcpassword=43 long string

(1)so this means nothing ?  

is it possible that i have never created any wallet in armory but after i installed armory some way i attached my bitcoin qt wallet to armory and it showed up in armory as a wallet and i set a password/passphase for it (that probably created those entries in bicoin.conf file)  and so now i cannot use old passphase in the bitcoin qt wallet beacuse armory take control over bitcoin qt ( not allowing transactions from bitcoin qt)

(2)(if i create a wallet in armory and i can see my whole btc balance in armory in this wallet , can i see my whole balance in bitcoin qt too or will it be empty ? )

1)Yip it's not relevant the only time I've used rpcuser and rpcpassword was solo mining log ago. What I understand now is you want a strong password to prevent hacking your core node. So one is usually auto generated.

Armory uses Bitcoind not Bitcoin-QT - "d" is a command line version you can only run one or the other at a time because they share the downloaded blockchain.

I'd search your computer for a wallet.dat file. If you're trying to recover lost coins.

2) I think in an early version of Bitcoin QT one may have had an option to import private keys, this hasn't been the case for me ever since I started using armory about 2.5 years ago.

The Bitcoin-QT now called Bitcoin-Core wallet format is not compatible with the armory format. You can't see your Core balance in Armory or the other way around.

A wallet file just stores private keys if you know what you're doing you can export and import private keys into any wallet.
If you're not sure what your doing you can import public keys (watch only wallets) as you don't have the private key you can't control the coins.

Exporting and importing private keys requires some understand and security, these options are generally not available in standard configurations (consumer protection by technicality)

legendary
October 20, 2014, 06:25:28 PM
Hi there,

Best regards

I dont think armory tor helps.. Your transactions will still send through bitcoind

Look into torrifying bitcoin
October 20, 2014, 06:17:14 PM
Hi there,

Best regards

Pages:
Jump to: