Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 24. (Read 521749 times)

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
October 02, 2014, 11:59:37 AM
What about antimalware/antiviruses programs like Norton,kaspersky,avira.Mc affee?
Could they detect those malicious software,when they are widespread and known ?
No.

USB firmware exploits happen outside the control of the CPU and any software that may be running on it.

For now, you should probably use CD-Rs to move unsigned transactions across the air gap discard them after each use.

There might not be any exploitable CD drive firmware vulnerabilities that can be triggered by malicious data on a disc. Maybe.

There's audio too, easier on the planet: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/tx-signing-via-minimodem-735111
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
October 02, 2014, 11:43:04 AM
What about antimalware/antiviruses programs like Norton,kaspersky,avira.Mc affee?
No.

USB firmware exploits happen outside the control of the CPU and any software that may be running on it.

For now, you should probably use CD-Rs to move unsigned transactions across the air gap discard them after each use.

There might not be any exploitable CD drive firmware vulnerabilities that can be triggered by malicious data on a disc. Maybe.
thanks,justusranvier
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
October 02, 2014, 11:13:49 AM
I don't know somebody wrote to here or not.
But i think the Armory and other programs could have a potential vulnerability.

For example what if your computer with installed Armory (watch-only wallet mode) is infected and trojan/virus which modifies a receiving address in Armory's interface? How can i trust to my online watch-only computer that all generated addresses are my addresses? What if trojan/virus modifies installed DLLs/Shared libraries of Armory and substitute watch-only generated addresses or seed to hacker things? If i will send to money to generated address how can i sure that this address is my address for private key at offline computer? :-/

What do developers think about this?

I jsut double check the address before broadcasting. That's more or less all I can do. Of course you could take appart the unsigned and signed transaction before broadcasting. However, as long as I don't hear anything else I consider it safe enough...
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
October 02, 2014, 11:11:35 AM
No.

October 02, 2014, 10:58:29 AM
are only USB sticks right from the factory affected or old used ones as well?
As I understand it,USB Sitcks in use cannot get compromised

Nope, the whole reason why this is such a bad exploit is that most USB devices (not just flash drives) can have their firmware reprogrammed via software.
that is indeed a bad exploit.
Activity: 162
Merit: 109
October 02, 2014, 10:17:50 AM
I don't know somebody wrote to here or not.
But i think the Armory and other programs could have a potential vulnerability.

For example what if your computer with installed Armory (watch-only wallet mode) is infected and trojan/virus which modifies a receiving address in Armory's interface? How can i trust to my online watch-only computer that all generated addresses are my addresses? What if trojan/virus modifies installed DLLs/Shared libraries of Armory and substitute watch-only generated addresses or seed to hacker things? If i will send to money to generated address how can i sure that this address is my address for private key at offline computer? :-/

What do developers think about this?
Activity: 496
October 02, 2014, 09:29:04 AM

Nope, the whole reason why this is such a bad exploit is that most USB devices (not just flash drives) can have their firmware reprogrammed via software.
October 02, 2014, 08:24:26 AM
October 02, 2014, 08:17:00 AM
when will 0.92.2 be out of testing?
I ask this question again
Hope I and cypherdoc get an answer

I don't think there's bugs so it doesn't really matter. Armory just likes to call everything testing.
Thanks,hope you are right
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
October 02, 2014, 07:06:21 AM

I don't think there's bugs so it doesn't really matter. Armory just likes to call everything testing.
October 02, 2014, 07:02:55 AM
Activity: 980
Merit: 507
October 01, 2014, 05:45:02 PM
Stupid (maybe not) question.

I want to update Armory, should I update Bitcoin Core as well?

You don't have to but latest core is more critical than latest armory

Thanks Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
October 01, 2014, 05:20:33 PM

You don't have to but latest core is more critical than latest armory
Activity: 980
Merit: 507
October 01, 2014, 05:07:05 PM

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
October 01, 2014, 03:40:15 PM
I managed to create a situation where Armory 0.92.1 will perform a full blockchain scan every time the program is loaded.

I run bitcoind on a different (virtual) machine than Armory.

When I use NFS to share the blockchain directory, everything works.

Since both the bitcoind VM and the Armory VM are running on the same host, I tried moving the blockchain directory to the host and sharing it with both via 9pfs. The bitcoind VM gets read-write access, and the Armory VM gets read-only access.

Armory will perform a successful scan of the blockchain.

When I close it and open it up again, I get a

"Block file is in the wrong network!  MagicBytes: 00000000" error and it starts over from the beginning.
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
October 01, 2014, 07:21:47 AM
Hello, I am here tonight to see if you can help with a thought I have. I want to download Armory but I have worries that it will require me to download the blockchain again. I remember the 60 hours I spent waiting to download blockchain before with the qt client I think  it is called.

My question is this:

If I download the Armory wallet and synch it, will it take more than...20 minutes?
Electrum looks good because it does not require a full download of the blockchain

Thank you

If you already have a Bitcoin core installtion, Armory will go on top of it. For me armory takes about 5 min untill the DB is built and the wallet is online once the Blockchain has finished catching up. So yes it does require a full blckchain downlad, but you can use the one you have already.
Activity: 162
Merit: 10
October 01, 2014, 03:21:33 AM
Hello, I am here tonight to see if you can help with a thought I have. I want to download Armory but I have worries that it will require me to download the blockchain again. I remember the 60 hours I spent waiting to download blockchain before with the qt client I think  it is called.

My question is this:

If I download the Armory wallet and synch it, will it take more than...20 minutes?
Electrum looks good because it does not require a full download of the blockchain

Thank you
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
September 30, 2014, 04:19:48 PM
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
Dolphie Selfie
September 30, 2014, 04:10:27 PM

You can update your online computer without touching the offline computer if you install 0.91.2 online. 

is 0.91.2 typo?
should it not be 0.92 + ??

v0.91.2 is the last version, that supports the old format for offline signing (the .unsigned.tx and .signed.tx files). Newer versions create unsigned transactions in a new format. If the offline computer is not updated to a version newer (or equal) than 0.92, it does not understand the new format.
Pages:
Jump to: