Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 81. (Read 521766 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
December 23, 2013, 01:20:08 AM
Wow.. Armory keeps crashing non-stop when sending bitcoins. This need top-stat priority fix. Otherwise I will have to stop using your product: do I make myself crystal clear?

Armory is brought to you at no charge. Our resources are limited, which means you need to be patient and help us diagnose these issues. So, for the 3rd time, send us your log files at [email protected]

On a side note, I think I found the fix for this particular bug, which will be pushed to the next release. But again, if you don't let me see a log file, I cannot know if this bug I fixed is the one you are experiencing. Thanks for your patience.
Activity: 331
Merit: 250
December 23, 2013, 01:13:16 AM
Wow.. Armory keeps crashing non-stop when sending bitcoins. This need top-stat priority fix. Otherwise I will have to stop using your product: do I make myself crystal clear?
legendary
Armory Developer
December 23, 2013, 01:07:57 AM
I guess its a feature not a bug. You receive change to other addresses then the input addresses. This is good. I have not looked fully into this but receiving change onto another address then the input addresses somehow protects your privacy plus you would even be safe if quantum computer would exist as you could easily never use the same address twice. I am not sure if you can configure if armory receives change to the same address or to a new address which will be labeled [[change received]]. What you can do, however, is use coin control in expert mode so you can set everything manually. Please make sure you don't end up being the guy who pays 200 BTC transaction fees because of a number entered in the wrong field.

You can specify any address in your wallet to receive change with the coin control feature in expert mode.
legendary
Armory Developer
December 23, 2013, 01:05:36 AM
For real? Did someone pay 200 BTC in transaction fee?! LOL! SO FUNNY! Anyways, that's besides the point. The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Another thing you can do: check "hide change" and that will hide all of the associated bitcoin address with [[change received]] address. It's a nice feature to have, so perhaps I overlooked this feature. You're right, it's not a bug; thanks for clearing this up. Kudos.

[[change received]] labels an address as having being used for change. The address is of course still valid, as it holds your change. the Bitcoin protocol strongly recommends to not reuse addresses, mainly to protect your privacy. So, as default, Armory picks a new address in your wallet every time it needs to send you back change. The corollary is that Armory will not pick that address again for change, and it will mark it as such, so that you may abide to that recommendation.

Of course this remains a recommendation. Addresses marked as change do not have their mechanics altered in any way, and you can use them to receive other payments at your leisure. It simply is considered bad practice, and Armory makes a point of offering you the opportunity to use the recommended way as described in Satoshi's white paper.
legendary
Armory Developer
December 23, 2013, 12:57:57 AM
Thanks but how do I install anything on the offline computer if I can't connect it to the internet and if when I plug my external HD into it (having downloaded the armoury software onto it) nothing happens?  I also don't know how to change the operating system from Linux to Ubuntu. 

Earlier in this thread someone reccomended this computer to use as an offline wallet, they said it comes with the right operating system, linux:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IBHVCA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I bought it.  But apparently there are different types of linux and so it doesn't work...

Do I download ubuntu from here?
http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

If so, which download do I want?

And then, how to I install it onto the offline computer?

Thank you.

The offline bundles support Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04 and 13.10. The offline bundles come with the necessary packages to run Armory on a pristine Ubuntu install for these version. There are quite a lot of Linux distributions on the market, so just saying "comes with Linux installed" isn't enough to identify the specifics of the operating system your hardware is running.

As for the installation steps: Grab the version of Ubuntu you want (I'd suggest 13.10, the link you posted is for 10.04, which is fine), burn the ISO to a DVD and install away. Then grab Armory's offline package, extract it, browse to that folder and run: sudo dpkg -i ./*

This will get Armory and all its required packages installed. As for moving the offline bundle to your offline computer, either use a usb key or burn it on the DVD into another session, you should have enough room left.

LvM: The fees enforced in 0.88.1 were hardcoded based on the calculation mechanics used by the Bitcoin network at the time it was released. Those mechanics were updated since then, and newer versions of Armory comply to those. You can either update your version, or modify the code in your older version.

As for how the fees are decided, this discussion does not belong to the Armory sub forum, nor does the Armory team have power over such matters. If you have complaints, take them up to the core team.
LvM
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
December 22, 2013, 04:44:46 PM
My Armory 0.88.1 tries to ENFORCE for a transfer of 0.0001 a fee of 0.0005

5x the transaction value.

If we accept this arbitrariness of the club hidden behind the BTC-ghost "community"
next it will swallow all our bitcoins.   Cry Cry
Just as it likes.  Grin

LvM
LvM
Activity: 126
December 22, 2013, 04:42:42 PM

"...you'd need to pay a larger fee. The fee is 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, not per transaction."

How do you know that?
Where is the legal source and base for your statement?

Unilaterally enforced transaction fees are illegal.
The miners are payed by selling the coins they created.

So, who gets these ARBITRARILY enforced tx fees?
Oha, the "community"?
Who/what is that? NAMES please!

How much fees will this ghost enforce tomorrow?
Looks like it becomes criminal.

LvM
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
December 22, 2013, 12:50:35 PM
Type the source code like the pgp olden days
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
December 22, 2013, 12:40:31 PM

matt608: make sure you're running ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04, then grab our offline package off our site and follow the instructions. They're quite simple and you shouldnt have too much trouble setting it up. If you have issues, let us know at [email protected]

Thanks but how do I install anything on the offline computer if I can't connect it to the internet and if when I plug my external HD into it (having downloaded the armoury software onto it) nothing happens?  I also don't know how to change the operating system from Linux to Ubuntu. 

Earlier in this thread someone reccomended this computer to use as an offline wallet, they said it comes with the right operating system, linux:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001IBHVCA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I bought it.  But apparently there are different types of linux and so it doesn't work...

Do I download ubuntu from here?
http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/

If so, which download do I want?

And then, how to I install it onto the offline computer?

Thank you.
December 22, 2013, 05:56:25 AM
The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Yes. "[[change received]]" is just a label. Internally, this address is no different from your other addresses.

Have been using this for a couple of days with a watch-only wallet. Works pretty well. Only had an error once (iirc it was after clicking the "copy to clipboard" button in the "receive bitcoins" window)
Code:
./Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory: line 16:  3551 Segmentation fault: 11  $DIRNAME/Python $ARMORYDIR/ArmoryQt.py

Thanks!
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
December 22, 2013, 05:23:18 AM
The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Yes. "[[change received]]" is just a label. Internally, this address is no different from your other addresses.

Have been using this for a couple of days with a watch-only wallet. Works pretty well. Only had an error once (iirc it was after clicking the "copy to clipboard" button in the "receive bitcoins" window)
Code:
./Downloads/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/Armory: line 16:  3551 Segmentation fault: 11  $DIRNAME/Python $ARMORYDIR/ArmoryQt.py
December 22, 2013, 05:09:27 AM
Guys,

I am using Armory as my main bitcoin wallet. However, I keep seeing [[change received]] with this associated bitcoin address. Do I use this address to receive bitcoin, still? This is why it's confusing. It's irrelevant to show "[[change received]]" in my wallet, just my bitcoin address. I hope you can fix this on the next version. Thanks!

I guess its a feature not a bug. You receive change to other addresses then the input addresses. This is good. I have not looked fully into this but receiving change onto another address then the input addresses somehow protects your privacy plus you would even be safe if quantum computer would exist as you could easily never use the same address twice. I am not sure if you can configure if armory receives change to the same address or to a new address which will be labeled [[change received]]. What you can do, however, is use coin control in expert mode so you can set everything manually. Please make sure you don't end up being the guy who pays 200 BTC transaction fees because of a number entered in the wrong field.

For real? Did someone pay 200 BTC in transaction fee?! LOL! SO FUNNY! Anyways, that's besides the point. The question is: can I still receive money with [[change received]] address? I just want to make sure.

Another thing you can do: check "hide change" and that will hide all of the associated bitcoin address with [[change received]] address. It's a nice feature to have, so perhaps I overlooked this feature. You're right, it's not a bug; thanks for clearing this up. Kudos.
Activity: 226
December 22, 2013, 05:05:42 AM
Guys,

I am using Armory as my main bitcoin wallet. However, I keep seeing [[change received]] with this associated bitcoin address. Do I use this address to receive bitcoin, still? This is why it's confusing. It's irrelevant to show "[[change received]]" in my wallet, just my bitcoin address. I hope you can fix this on the next version. Thanks!

December 22, 2013, 12:06:35 AM
Guys,

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
December 20, 2013, 02:40:18 PM

I have had a few "not responding" errors which required force closing so far :/ Not imported or created a wallet yet either which is not terribly confidence-inspiring...

How do I run this .app with debug flags (I knew how to do that on Ubuntu from terminal but this app on OSX I am not sure how to set those flags as I run it) then I can perhaps upload some logs... I think it is somethign to do with applescripts, but Im pretty new to OSX.

It did sync overnight no problem (not sure how long it took though).

Flags don't work on OSX, it is a python problem or something.

Yeah, unfortunately, we're still not quite sure how to do the CLI thing... may have to add an armory.conf, which should probably be added anyway.  Doesn't help with changing --datadir, but helps with everything else. 

This build is really more for testing... we will clean up those rough edges when we determine that it's usable.  So far, it seems the jury is still out on that one...

cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
December 20, 2013, 02:35:58 PM

I have had a few "not responding" errors which required force closing so far :/ Not imported or created a wallet yet either which is not terribly confidence-inspiring...

How do I run this .app with debug flags (I knew how to do that on Ubuntu from terminal but this app on OSX I am not sure how to set those flags as I run it) then I can perhaps upload some logs... I think it is somethign to do with applescripts, but Im pretty new to OSX.

It should automatically put the logfile in your armory directory.  There is also a menu item to export the logfile in the armory app itself.
Activity: 302
December 20, 2013, 05:46:38 AM

Activity: 347
December 18, 2013, 11:55:21 PM
If the transaction did fail, please consider reporting this error the the Armory developers. From the main window, go to "File"-->"Export Log File" to make a copy of your log file to send via email to [email protected]. "

Did you do that?

I bet the transaction has a lot of small outputs, which means you'd need to pay a larger fee. The fee is 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, not per transaction.

I actually did and he helpfully linked me to the .90 post. I was using a fee of .0009 so I doubt that was the issue. I actually think the issue was with my routers DNS settings. It lost its VPN connection and then the DNS could not resolve which I think they caused the transaction to fail. I got my DNS and VPN back and all setup and its working now on .88.

Thanks for the help. I'm updating to .90 today.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
December 18, 2013, 11:59:17 AM
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
December 17, 2013, 11:42:47 PM
If the transaction did fail, please consider reporting this error the the Armory developers. From the main window, go to "File"-->"Export Log File" to make a copy of your log file to send via email to [email protected]. "

Did you do that?

I bet the transaction has a lot of small outputs, which means you'd need to pay a larger fee. The fee is 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, not per transaction.
Pages:
Jump to: